VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Fisker's affordable all-electric SUV is called 'Ocean'

60K views 538 replies 99 participants last post by  chucchinchilla 
#1 ·

Click on above link if photos don't show up in quote below.

The sub-$40,000 vehicle will debut on January 4th, 2020.

Earlier this year, Fisker revealed that it's planning to release a relatively affordable electric SUV in 2021. Now, the automaker has revealed that the vehicle will be called the "Fisker Ocean." Fisker will forego building a showcar and will debut what it says is "a fully running production intent prototype sitting on the actual, completely engineered platform" on January 4th, 2020. It will be private event, but the company promises to put a livestream up that everyone can watch.

The Ocean will have a full-length solar roof to help boost the vehicle's range, and Fisker believes it will provide up to 1,000 extra clean miles a year. It will also use carpeting made from abandoned fishing net waste pulled from oceans, as well as vegan materials for the interior.

Before the vehicle itself debuts, Fisker will launch its mobile app first. You can use the app, which will be available on November 27th, to lease the vehicle with no long-term contracts. Fisker will take early reservations and reveal more details about the vehicle, including its pricing, on the same day. It previously said that the SUV will cost less than $40,000, though, making it one the relatively affordable electric vehicles you can buy. The company also said that Ocean's target range is approximately 250 to 300 miles and that it may come with an 80 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.

The vehicle is scheduled to go into production by the end of 2021, with the first high-volume deliveries slated to happen sometime in 2022.

#414 ·
I took delivery today of my Fisker Ocean One in Mariana Blue with Black Abyss interior. I love it. Great roomy interior, clean but not too spartan. Fantastic paint, and it drives smoothly with great power. Regen braking at low levels is best for me, but there are lots of cool features I will be discovering. Also, for software types, they left lots of "Easter Eggs" in the car. Like the rock climber I spotted under the center console lid when I pulled out the Taco Tray. I love California Mode (all windows down and pano roof retracted), Cinema Mode (horizontal screen watching Apple TV, Youtube, Hulu, etc), and all the great cameras and safety features. Oh yeah, and it is fast in Hyper mode and Fun mode and efficient in Earth mode.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Car Gear shift Vehicle Steering wheel Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design Personal luxury car

#474 ·
I have several thousand trouble-free miles on my Ocean so far. Anyone who wants to ever come test drive it, just ping me!

Even with other great cars in the garage to choose from, I'm finding myself grabbing my Ocean keys most days lately. Yes, it's partly because it's new, but it's also because it's a great ride.

My biggest bitch is no Apple Car Play. Also, my range has been about 20% less than what the car tells me. 285 miles of range when I'm 80% charged gets me real-world range of about 230-235. If I charge to full 100% and 360 miles stated, I get more like 290-300. Of course, I'm usually driving in in "fun Mode", not the more efficient "Earth Mode".

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Tire

Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Wheel

#470 ·
Remember the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car? (2006)" Other than being a bit too early in claiming the EV world was dead, they also liked to blame "Big Oil" for killing the electric car. It's not big oil. It's the masses. It's the car journalists, and it's the internet hereos and social media stars.

My view is that any new car concept, or any new car company, has an uphill battle against people who just absolutely revel in any mistakes, errors, problems, or setbacks. People who love to post negative stories, who love to propagate negativity instead of celebrating innovation and supporting startups. People who love to be teh smartest one in the room when something goes wrong.

Every EV company faces these issues. I, for one, hope that Rivian, BYD, Tesla, Fisker, Lucid, VW, Ford, GM, Stellantis, Porsche and all others continue to push the envelope, innovate, and find best practices. I like to think I can avoid "celebrating the mistakes and issues" of the competition and be a positive part of progress. Maybe I'll fail, but I'll try.

#471 ·
Remember the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car? (2006)" Other than being a bit too early in claiming the EV world was dead, they also liked to blame "Big Oil" for killing the electric car. It's not big oil. It's the masses. It's the car journalists, and it's the internet hereos and social media stars.

My view is that any new car concept, or any new car company, has an uphill battle against people who just absolutely revel in any mistakes, errors, problems, or setbacks. People who love to post negative stories, who love to propagate negativity instead of celebrating innovation and supporting startups. People who love to be teh smartest one in the room when something goes wrong.

Every EV company faces these issues. I, for one, hope that Rivian, BYD, Tesla, Fisker, Lucid, VW, Ford, GM, Stellantis, Porsche and all others continue to push the envelope, innovate, and find best practices. I like to think I can avoid "celebrating the mistakes and issues" of the competition and be a positive part of progress. Maybe I'll fail, but I'll try.
Again, you're taking it personal and for no reason. Fisker is an interesting and ongoing story and there's no candy coating the negatives that are indeed happening.

Owners are reporting quality issues, Fisker is having trouble meeting production numbers and the behind the scenes personnel turnover is as huge a story as any and would be reported on just as well if it were Rivian, Lucid or Tesla.

#478 ·
Many large groups of enthusiastic owners came out on Jan 20 at dozens of locations across the USA to meet other Fisker owners, in a day organized by the "Fiskerati.com" forum and endorsed by Fisker. I attended one in Los Altos that had about 50 Oceans show up on a rainy morning before the 49ers game. Blue is the color most have spec'd. Fisker technicians and reps were there to discuss. I saw my first Ocean Extreme model in Red Planet, it looked great! Photos courtesy of Facebook.

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Cloud Car Sky Wheel Land vehicle

Car Land vehicle Cloud Vehicle Sky

Jeans Cloud Trousers Sky Plant

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

#481 ·
Many large groups of enthusiastic owners came out on Jan 20 at dozens of locations across the USA to meet other Fisker owners, in a day organized by the "Fiskerati.com" forum and endorsed by Fisker. I attended one in Los Altos that had about 50 Oceans show up on a rainy morning before the 49ers game. Blue is the color most have spec'd. Fisker technicians and reps were there to discuss. I saw my first Ocean Extreme model in Red Planet, it looked great! Photos courtesy of Facebook.
Pretty cool seeing that many together in one place!

Im guessing this is another case where most of the early deliveries have been concentrated to the west coast in general and California in particular.

#442 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Had the chance to ride in @Dave_Car_Guy ’s Ocean yesterday on the way to Velocity Invitational. Great to see some TCLers in real life.

I came away really impressed at the exterior design. It looked quite sharp in a parking lot filled with sports cars and garnered a lot of looks. The interior definitely feels pretty similar to that of the Polestar/Volvo sustainability trend. Durable and pretty well appointed. It definitely feels more like a “purpose built” EV than my C40, which is a CUV that happens to have electric motors. I think in comparison with a Model Y, it’s the whole “less is less” vs. “less is more” mentality. In the Ocean, you get 3-4 different textures, a few buttons, and a small screen over the wheel. A Tesla is a sea of the same texture and as few controls as possible.

I’m kind of regretting not waiting for one, but these are the breaks!

#257 ·
More details

AURORA, Ontario, Jan. 04, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Magna today confirmed that it is collaborating with Fisker to develop an Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS), which will be applied to the Fisker Ocean SUV that is expected to launch in late 2022. This new business win demonstrates Magna’s ability to bring scale and efficiency to the mobility landscape and represents an important expansion of the EV platform sharing, vehicle engineering and manufacturing cooperation the two companies announced last October.

Magna and Fisker will work together to develop industry-unique ADAS features and a suite of software packages powered by a scalable domain controller architecture.
In addition to leveraging cameras and ultrasonic sensors, the ADAS package includes a unique and first-to-market digital imaging radar technology. Co-developed with Austin, Texas-based technology startup Uhnder, ICON RADARTM is the first digital imaging single-chip radar solution for the automotive marketplace.

“One of our strategic goals is to pursue new business in areas where Magna’s unique strengths can be deployed with an advantage compared to our peers,” said Swamy Kotagiri, Magna CEO. “Our collaboration with Fisker is a great example - we can provide a new OEM like Fisker with a flexible and scalable EV platform, complete ADAS package, joint vehicle engineering and manufacturing. By engaging early and working closely with such customers, we can provide rapid commercialization and gain synergies including cost efficiency, delivering additional benefits to the industry overall.”
Fisker and Magna recently completed the definitive platform agreement and initial manufacturing agreement, just two months on from the original framework agreements. The Fisker Ocean will initially be manufactured exclusively by Magna in Europe.

The Fisker Ocean SUV will use a modified version of a Magna-developed EV platform to power Fisker’s FM29 platform.

"The ability to integrate Fisker-Intelligent Pilot technologies into the Fisker Ocean SUV from launch is mission-critical for the whole program,” said Henrik Fisker, Chairman and CEO, Fisker. “The excellent collaboration between the Fisker and Magna engineering teams, already proven by passing the first engineering milestone last November, gave us the confidence to work with Magna on these important technologies for the Ocean."

#258 ·

Fisker and Foxconn to collaborate on EV project

The new collaboration between Foxconn and Fisker will revolutionize the automotive industry model by introducing ICT capabilities – which help automakers accelerate their transition to new, innovative, and efficient manufacturing processes and business models. “The collaboration between our firms means that it will only take 24 months to produce the next Fisker vehicle – from research and development to production, reducing half of the traditional time required to bring a new vehicle to market,” said Young-way Liu.

#301 · (Edited)
While it’s been a nice ride so far, the real interesting part lies ahead. If they are successful in even a part of their business plan, the stock will be worth $100 a share, IMHO. If they fail, it’ll be worth well under $10. You have to pick your team. One thing I used to say when I was running a hedge fund: the one price this is NOT worth is $18. It’s either going to be $5 or it’s going to be $50-$100 +. Today’s price is just the net present value of the aggregated average expectations of many market participants. Someone will be wrong. Maybe it’s me. But I see them achieving over 200,000 units of sales (over $7 billion in revenue). In their own plans, they expect $10 billion in sales. If they even get to $2 billion in sales, it’ll be worth $10 billion in market capitalization. With 300 million shares, that’s over $33 a share. But if they get to that number, it won’t be seen as a static outcome. It’ll get a growth multiple.

So like I said: it’ll be worth 5-10x today’s value of 5.5 billion, or worth 50-80% less in liquidation. I’ll take that bet. I think 500% upside vs 50% downside is a good bet with a seasoned team in a market that is clearly geared toward EV adoption. Place your bets. Mine is placed and has been since day 1.

#313 ·

Fisker Inc. (NYSE: FSR) (“Fisker”) – passionate creator of the world's most sustainable electric vehicles and advanced mobility solutions – today took another significant step forward towards the start of production for the Fisker Ocean SUV with the official opening of several Fisker-dedicated operational areas at Magna’s world-class manufacturing facility in Graz, Austria. Fisker CEO and Chairman, Henrik Fisker, was onsite in Graz with teams from engineering, manufacturing, purchasing and quality to review the new facilities, the progress being made on the path to volume production and to commence a countdown clock timed to the start of production.

Co-located teams from Fisker and Magna covering areas including manufacturing engineering and purchasing are now situated in a dedicated program office, ideally situated close to engineering, the prototype shop and the future production areas for Body-in-White (BIW), the paint shop and general assembly. The engineering center and prototype shop will drive the first build phases for the Ocean. The prototype facility, which has a capacity of approximately 1,500 vehicles per year, will enable the prototype build phase to be carried out using serial production conditions, helping to train the production team and ensure a smooth transfer to the serial production line. The Ocean will also benefit from the extensive testing facilities at Graz, including those for durability, NVH, climate extremes and a test track – all of which help drive program integration across manufacturing and engineering.

#346 ·
Tough crowd. Why is it often important to **** on something new? Venom: what gives you any idea that they will not deliver? The company has delivered in the past. They have top-notch partners. This isn’t rocket science. It’s a ****ing car
I've had a reservation since Dec 2019, been looking forward to this. Told production was going to be Q4 2022, okay, no big deal. Now they are saying that Sport and most of Ultra won't be until 2023. I'm trying not to be too negative on pricing, as they haven't announced the FLEXEE lease prices.