• [*] New Starter install
    [*] Repair rear seat-heater plug
    [*] Upholster bottom of seats
    [*] Re-upholster wheel well to black
    [*] Undo the modded cluster
    [*] install undertray
    [*] Install new air box
    [*] Determine what the random wire is in the door

[*]Metal diverter valve (PSH PSH PSHHHHH)
  • right hatch light is out
  • windshield wiper hoses+wiring
    [*]mfts sensor plug wiring
    [*]fuel system clean+flush
    [*]only one speaker functions (front passenger)
    [*]034 Fuel battery relay install
    [*]wheel well repair + install
    [*]sound deadening in rear (wheel well and floor)
  • stromung exhaust
  • complete bushing replacement on everything
  • ceramic+powder coating of turbo+downpipe
  • wiring cleanup + heat shielding
  • wheels (ENKEI RPF1 looks like it is the ticket)
  • Possibly an IR to RF conversion
    [*]Clean and repaint intercooler (not black enough)
  • patch hole in passenger side fender -- possibly find replacements
  • find and bolt on an injector cover
    [*]relocate/shield the LS2 coils
  • find a rubber boot for hatch wiring
    [*]fix all temperature/pressure gauges
    [*]replace clock with boost gauge (in cluster) - booooo this sucks
    [*]re-mount ECU (it's not bolted in)
  • Windshield replacement
  • register the car
  • drive car

So I am finally delving into the project car realm. I'm not too scared of things breaking, more concerned with buying a 1995 Audi in general. SoldOverSticker was a complete gentleman and went and looked at the car for me and I decided to pull the trigger. I know 2Bennet is the go-to for parts for these things, and the guy I am buying it from is heavily involved in the California racing scene so it's got all kinds of goodies coming with it.

Any of you ever own a URS6/4? Teach me about them. Enjoy the ride.

See less See more
#2 ·
Lovely. I am always in the market for one of these! Recently sold my C5 RS6 and have the itch.

and a Learn Me thread would have been more beneficial before the purchase lol. :thumbup:

#3 · (Edited)
I only sold mine because of NH, see sig below. But to be totally honest, it was due for a top end rebuild and the paint was starting to crack on the roof and hood. Kinda slow off the line, but drop the hammer at highway speeds and wow, feel the boost. :thumbup:

Mine was already chipped so the only thing I did to it was lower the allroad height, with Eibach springs. My dad hand carried a set from Germany for me, my mom, was not pleased. :p Eibach US doesn't have them. Also put on Big Reds (Porsche calipers), the stock brakes are barely adequate.

The coil packs and wiring will bake and fail / crumble under that heavy aluminum coil cover, there are solutions for replacement. Head lights also suck, you will want HID drop ins, projector lens, so you can aim not to blind everyone. Projector Lens will probably have a film on it you need to clean, it helps. Glass Headlight lenses are replaceable.

Not sure if the old sites are still around and useful , but :

https://s-cars.org/site/

https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/ you gotta read about the "Da Monstah", crazy build

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/

They are nice hwy cruisers. I am glad that I had one and got to experience that legendary 5-cyl. :thumbup:

Almost, forgot. I still have the maintenance file for my car, if you PM me I can send it so you can see what I did over the years to it.

#7 ·
Thanks a ton for the links! How long did you own it and frame what timeframe? I'm interested in people that owned them from new/almost new to see what the average maintenance was like for a stock car. Of course, this will be incredibly far from stock. Part of the reason im buying this is to not mod my S5.

Lovely. I am always in the market for one of these! Recently sold my C5 RS6 and have the itch.

and a Learn Me thread would have been more beneficial before the purchase lol. :thumbup:
Yes, indeed it would have made more sense :D

This deal was too good to pass up, though.

As the owner of a coupe quattro (that I daily drove for 7 years) I'll forewarn you that this generation of Audi is challenging to work on. Lots of stuff in a small area.
Will I hate not having a lift? I have quickjacks currently.

#4 ·
Mr Miyagi;114208881 Any of you ever own a URS6/4? Teach me about them. Tell me stories. Discuss them said:
They're neat cars, but parts are no longer available for them, which is unfortunate.
Coolant hoses- NLA
Serpentine belt tensioner- NLA
Ur-S specific body parts (front fenders)- NLA

They're way under-braked in US spec, the boost hoses don't last long, spark plug torque has to be checked regularly.

#8 ·
More power to you. Poor parts availability and previous owner neglect and typical German engineering are challenges to overcome. But if it’s a project car and you like working on it more than driving it, then no worries. I’m glad there are people brave enough and financially able to keep these cars on the road. It’s your car so restomod to your hearts delight. But whatever value it does have will likely be better preserved if you keep it mostly original. You’ll be plenty busy just keeping it running.

#12 ·
I absolutely LOVE the idea of these cars, and I drove a handful with the intention of eventually buying one, but the reality convinced me otherwise. This applies to the Coupe Quattro/URS4/URS6 cars pretty equally.

You'll definitely want to increase your network of parts connections and sources. There are so many obscure parts on these cars and they are only getting rarer as time goes on. If you have the space, and the opportunity arises, pick up a parts car.

The 20vT is flat out glorious, and not too mechanically terrible to work on IMO, and the rest of the drivetrain is pretty stout.

Electronics are probably the killer here. There was so much early 90s tech crammed into these cars which hasn't aged well. If you're not wiring and electrical troubleshooting savvy, start learning. Invest in a good multimeter with dwell/duty cycle for testing sensors.

It's good that you're approaching this as a project car, but when it's driving at 100% it will be such a fun car.

#26 ·
Absolutely! I do plan on learning a ton with this car. There is a lot to do, including an eventual engine swap/trans swap. Luckily, this particular purchase is going to come with about half a car or more worth of spare parts.

The electrics definitely worry me, and there are some bugs with this particular car, such as a misfire. I'll dig into it when the thing arrives, but it's running into some delays in shipping!

My only input is that my friend has one and it's awesome
That's pretty rad. Do you know anything about that front bumper he's got on it? Not really my style, but looks pretty cool. Less is definitely more with these cars -- not much to do to make them look great imo!

Congrats on the purchase! Since I've seen it in person, I'm looking forward to watching the progress.

Some inspiration for you. This one was on the rally I just did and it was really nice.

Can't wait to post detailed pics and an update when it arrives. Thanks so much for checking it out for me! I owe you big time!

#13 ·
I definitely was not in the new / mostly new crowd. :p

I owned one from 2003 with 112k miles to 2008 with 191k miles.

#14 · (Edited)
One of my automotive regrets is passing on a 95.5 URS6 sedan.
My buddies Dad bought it new. Black/black with 100k miles for $2500...

I didn't really need a car or have space for it. Hemmed and hawed, called him the next week to get it and he had sold it to some kid to use as a winter beater. :(

Edit - Buddies Dad sold the URS6 for a RS6. I'm in line for that if he ever sells.

#19 ·
These are great. Keep us updated, can’t wait to see the car.

#21 ·
friend had a tuned pearl '93 (or maybe '94?) with the carbon fiber trim and heated rear seats (wild for a 90s car! :laugh: )
that thing was an absolute beast in every way - big/roomy, hilariously fast in a straight line, the speed at which it consumed his maintenance budget, etc.

the straw that broke the camels back was the steering rack leaking which i remember was a major PITA job.

but when it was running well, man, what a treat

in for more :beer:

#30 ·
Been there done that, had my 95 UrS6 between 2008 and 2012, sold it at over 300K kms.

A few notes:
The car was dead reliable, I was only let down by an aging battery. My car had an MRC tune, Big Red 993 front calipers with Euro D2 A8 rotors, 1.8T coilpack conversion and H&R springs/Bilstein shocks. 2008 is when I got into outside sales and the S6 was my only vehicle. Took me everywhere in comfort, safety and did it fairly quickly. At one point I deleted the resonator because I did not want to replace the exhaust, which made the I5 song a bit more pronounced. I did teach my wife to drive standard in this car.

The not so good was the fuel mileage. Definitely not a TDI, especially under boost. Also the North American 95 and older 5 speed cars came with a weak 1st gear, on my car it was really loud (semi truck loud) but although I bought a spare 96 wide 1st gear transmission, I never had to replace it and sold the car with the loud one. The headlights were not the greatest, but because they come with factory projectors I did a HID retrofit for the low beams (4300K) and that fixed things nicely.

It is a car that I really enjoyed, I would like to build a high HP 20v turbo I5 Audi once day.

BTW, back in those days it was Quattroworld and Audiworld forums that were my go to sources for everything UrS.

OP, I am sure you will enjoy the car and check the Easter eggs in the climate ctrl unit ;) Post some pics once you get the car.

#31 ·
Big post incoming!

So the car arrived last Thursday. I've been so busy with work and life that I didn't find time to get this stuff done until now.

First things first, pics!

"The Packening"

Pretty clean when it left.

Fully loaded up... there was actually room for a bit more but it was pretty close to laying frame. Seller was kind enough to put a very nice blanket on the rear hatch.

On the back of the trailer. It's so purty! If it weren't for all the chrome on newer cars, I'd say it aged nicely! Thanks to the seller for getting this pic for me.

Arrival!

Check the squat

Absolutely filthy. Needs a wash.

The eagle eyed will have noticed something. More on that later.

wet

wet

dry

dry

Body/Interior issues

Well, it's not perfect. Far from it. That's why it was the price that it was.

Remember what I said about the eagle-eyed among us?

https://i.imgur.com/dOPijsm.jpg

uhhhh, yeah. Okay then.

https://i.imgur.com/wZG02Ap.jpg

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

:facepalm::screwy:

Some extras in the background :)

Right side is okay...

Harumph.

Interior is pretty nice in places.

Tiny stain on the alcantara, but that can be fixed

:wave:

Under the passenger side dash. Yeesh. This will be fun. At least the covers are all included.

A bumpin system probably existed in it once. Maybe i'll give GAS a call.

If anyone knows anything about stock cars and wiring, you'll notice everything wrong with this.

This was unplugged. The green one is accounted for, but can you guess what the red wire is? (The green plug is for aftermarket seat heaters...)

Apparently the colored tubes here are vacuum tubes for the door locks. I'm dubious of whether or not they work.

This was soaking wet. Nothing around it was wet, just this. No idea why. It seems to go to the seat backs maybe?

INTERNALS
So, turns out the engine is not stock like I thought. I bought the car sight-unseen, but the listing didn't really say exactly what it had done to it. I knew it was modified, but I didn't know it was essentially a fully built motor, with all the bells and whistles.

She's gonna be some work.

That's not a stock intake manifold.

I don't think this was supposed to be unplugged (the left one). I plugged it back in. It's just a ground wire, but still.

Very expensive silicon intake manifold piece

This is probably the worst spot on the entire car as far as rusting goes. Also, anyone else think that O2 sensor is a lil bit close to the turbo exhaust housing?

Coil delete! You can see the gray wire there on the right that was unplugged down lower. I'll find out what that is eventually I'm sure.

Garrett GT3071R.

Aftermarket fuel rail?

Coilpack delete seen here, again. I'll have to get the coil cover on there somehow, because that's urgly.

Definitely not a fan of this diverter valve and diverter valve housing. Pretty rusty, but IIRC the manifold is an RS2 manifold so I'll be saving that.

Closer view of the intake manifold silicon

More turbo. It's only now that I am realizing that hose clamp is loose.

Behold, the underside. This is the bottom view of that crazy S downpipe. It's made by a guy named Tim Valencia who is apparently a racecar driver.

Current Pros:

• i5 turbo
  • Audi s6 avant
  • no rust on the body
  • two motors, 2 transmissions
  • heavily modified engine, rumored to be making 450 hp at full strength
  • a decent amount of extra parts/trim

Current Cons:

• Driver door doesn't open from the inside
  • Door locks not functioning
  • Tons of random wiring/splices everywhere for no reason
  • heavily modified engine in a 25 year old car
  • parts are getting more scarce
  • hood latch is finicky (doesn't open)
  • Brakes don't work
  • O2 sensor needs replacing
  • has a misfire
  • much is unknown about this car
  • holes in the fenders

#32 ·
Good luck with the Avant!

I really enjoyed owning and driving mine, but sold it Jan 2012 when I found a D2 S8 that I had to have. Mine was stock with the exception of an MRC stage 2 tune, stiffer wastegate spring, and a set of European market OEM springs that I imported. To this day, it's the only car I've sold for more than I paid. That trend definitely didn't continue when I got rid of the S8.

Most of the technical knowledge was over on the Quattroworld UrS forums when I owned mine, that's where I'd head if you need guru level tech help. Good luck and keep up posted on the progress.

Pictures of mine.

#37 ·
To this day, it's the only car I've sold for more than I paid. That trend definitely didn't continue when I got rid of the S8.
It's possible to make some money selling a car?? :eek::eek::eek:

:laugh:

I have bought a $2k car, dumped $10k into it and sold it for $4k on more than one occasion. :facepalm:

#40 ·
And holy cow aging_fleet's car was clean. :thumbup:
Thanks, it spent a lot of it's life at vacation homes in New Mexico and Colorado and was ultimately traded in by the original owner at Plaza Motors in STL with only 70k miles. I put a deposit on it based on an Autotrader listing with no photos, booked a flight to Missouri and hoped for the best. There was a lot of deferred maintenance to be done, but overall it was a great starting point.

I have bought a $2k car, dumped $10k into it and sold it for $4k on more than one occasion. :facepalm:
I'm sure with the mods and maintenance, I didn't come out on top. :laugh:

@Mr Miyagi, keep those photos coming. :beer:

#36 ·
Good luck, those are really cool oddball cars. Do you have the 5 speed or late 01E 6speed?
It couldn't hurt to track down a donor car for a full stock harness. Try to track down Shokan for used parts, they were one of the best Audi dismantlers and had a good number of UR cars and parts in inventory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.