VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Went to the Saab dealer today

33K views 164 replies 63 participants last post by  NoDubJustYet 
#1 ·
I made a similar thread a while back when I didn't think I would be getting my Saturn back. Now, I did get my Saturn back, but am contemplating trading up.

My Saturn is pretty rough. 114k of towing, commuting into NYC, and about 3 months of delivery car duty at my father's store. It has just had a frozen caliper replaced, as well as a intermediate steering shaft, but will need new shocks, mounts, sway bar endlinks, and a rear diff service soon. I'm currently in my last semester of law school and am applying to jobs; all of which a long distance away.

The car in question is a brand new Saab 9-3 with 5-speed auto, AWD, moonroof, and comfort package. Sticker on the car is 37k, and it is marked down to about 24k. I'm hoping I can bargain them down to 18k out the door with the Saturn trade.

I much prefer a Saab to an entry level small or mid-sizer, so this seems like a good deal. Anyone here have personal experience with this generation 9-3 that can offer insight onto fuel economy, and general cost of ownership; as well as overall opinions on the car?

Thanks.

Rule #1, not the same car, but this color and wheel option:

See less See more
#5 ·
Terrible idea. With no warranty and limited parts availability, whatever savings you realize on the front end will be rapidly eaten by astronomical insurance and the threat of major problems if you need repairs. GM is only warrantying the ones sold before it sold off Saab.

#8 ·
This body style has been around since 03, how difficult can it possibly be to source parts on it?

I didn't think about insurance costs though. I'm sure depreciation will be killer, but if I can get the car cheap enough, I'll just write it off and trade it in when I'm ready to move on after a few years.

#6 ·
I bought this car on Forza 4 the other day, it hasn't failed me yet! Same color and everything!

Thats a heck of a deal on that car but with no promised coverage you would be taking a mighty big leap.

Also, do you have a thing for extinct brands?

#7 ·
The car in question is a brand new Saab 9-3 with 5-speed auto, AWD, moonroof, and comfort package. Sticker on the car is 37k, and it is marked down to about 24k. I'm hoping I can bargain them down to 18k out the door with the Saturn trade.
Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

#19 ·
I don't think its a bad idea. I actually think its a good idea. I'm trying to see if anyone has a reason why they think its a bad idea so I can weigh my options. The conclusory statements that it is a bad idea do not help me in my analysis. Thanks to Turbio, I now know to check with my insurance company before pulling the trigger. :thumbup:

#18 ·
Parts won't be a problem for a 9-3 at all, there are a billion of them out there.

They're reasonably reliable and simple cars, so the warranty isn't a huge deal.

Insurance also won't be a big deal because, again, parts are out there.

$18k for a brand new 9-3 is a good deal, OP should buy.

9-5 is much dodgier as there are NO parts. 9-3 is cake, and if you can get one on a deal and if that's what you want, do it. Don't mind the alarmists. The design has been around for eons.

EDIT: But yeah, gap insurance, fasho.

#20 ·
Parts won't be a problem for a 9-3 at all, there are a billion of them out there.
I would have thought the same thing, but apparently that's not the case for the 9-3 wagon... I have a coworker whose 9-3 wagon was hit the other night and the insurance company and body shop are having trouble finding the parts for it.

You're probably better off in the sedans, but... who knows how much better off? That's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

#36 ·
My car hasn't been on production for the last 10yrs and when i go to the shop, BOOM, PARTS!!
Because the car company that made your car is still in business?

Because enough of them were made that it makes sense for non-OEM suppliers to make parts and sell them to people like you?

#28 ·
I don't know how anyone is having 9-3 parts availability issues.

The design is what, 5+ years old? More than that perhaps?

Must be tons of these in junkyards, stuff on car-part.com, on eBay, owner communities.

I'm assuming DIY here, no idea what the "official" parts ordering situation is, but who cares?

Something breaks, go online, find parts, fix broken thing. Yay.

#40 ·
Slight body style changes, different headlights, taillights, interior trim, possible changes in electronic components, even the way hoses are routed and ECUs.

These things run CAN BUS, things need to be reprogrammed when they're replaced (I think even window switches/regulators need to be mated to the car).

2007 9-3:

2009 9-3:

2011 9-3:

#37 ·
if he buys it today and sells it tomorrow he's an idiot. He's not financing the car, so he doesn't have to worry about being upside down in it and obviously plans on keeping it for more than a year or three.

There are all sorts of reasons not to buy any car but most of the ones being brought up are simply not very valid.

Parts are avaailble and if not from teh dealer from the aftermarket (for example keys can be had at a locksmith's), and repairs can still be made by the same independant shops that did so last year. Financing is't happening and insurance is cheaply available. Depreciation doesn't matter, apparently, so can't be used as a factor.

There are probably better cars out there, but if he wants this one, there aren't many other good reasons not to get a great deal on a lot of features for not a lot of new car money.

#51 ·
FV-QR

Ok, so repair issues aside... For $24k... can you honestly say you'd rather have a new Saab than a CPO BMW, Mercedes, or Audi for the same price?

EDIT: I guess the above post sorta answers it... but without a warranty, it wouldn't feel like a "new car" to me. Perhaps that's psychological too :p.

#52 ·
Ok, so repair issues aside... For $24k... can you honestly say you'd rather have a new Saab than a CPO BMW, Mercedes, or Audi for the same price?

EDIT: I guess the above post sorta answers it... but without a warranty, it wouldn't feel like a "new car" to me. Perhaps that's psychological too :p.
When you put it that way, I think I would rather have the Saab over a CPO german car. It has more character and is less cookie cutter, even if it is an inferior car. If anything, I'd cross shop one of these with a lightly used Regal Turbo or TSX.

I'm less concerned about the warranty and body parts than I am about electrical parts like the ignition system and the computer systems that will nag in the future.

And don't make fun of my weird emotional behavior. I can't help it, I like cars that are different than what other people have. :banghead:

#53 ·
You may want to check on financing before you make any moves. BoA wasn't financing any Saab cars a couple years back when Saab was in a tough spot. I can't imagine banks these days are very eager to finance a car like that. May have to buy with a higher interested personal loan.

#61 ·
That is a great price for a good car. My brother bought a 9-3 Sportwagon last summer and absolutely loves it.

If you are paying cash and don't have to worry about financing you are in good shape. Also having a reputable Saab mechanic nearby is a huge plus.

#62 ·
That is a great price for a good car. My brother bought a 9-3 Sportwagon last summer and absolutely loves it.
I'll requote this since your brother has a wagon...

I would have thought the same thing, but apparently that's not the case for the 9-3 wagon... I have a coworker whose 9-3 wagon was hit the other night and the insurance company and body shop are having trouble finding the parts for it.
Just tell him to be careful if he can. I just talked to him today and he's still dealing with the insurance company trying to get it repaired, and apparently the insurance company is having to help multiple Saab owners with similar issues.

#65 ·
Turbio, you've either mended your ways from the way you used to do things (flipping new cars constantly and the resultant hit on depreciation, having cars stolen, etc.), or you're the last person who should be dispensing financial advice when it comes to car purchases.

:laugh::p

#66 · (Edited)
Funny, but I've only lost about $500 on cars in the last 5 years, mostly because I've not bought cars new and always either broken even on resale or got made more than whole by insurance. I made money on reselling my Forester, I made money on flipping the first Jeep, I got made whole when the second Jeep got stolen, I broke even on the Element... :laugh:

#69 ·
if you have the luck and get "a bad one" and the transmission/engine grenades on you shortly after break-in, then you'll have a problem.

If you can get the car for 18-20 and it's really something you want more than some other end-of-the-model year deal on something else (Dodge is knocking $5 grand+ off of Avengers right now), then sure go for it. Point is, if you would have bought one near retail, then consider this a bonus. If your main reasoning to get it is that its 20k, then pass.

#70 · (Edited)
New car with a high MSRP with no warranty definitely a good excuse/reason for insurance companies to jack up the premium. It is a car with a 37k MSRP. Even you bought it for 17k, it will still fix like a 37k car. Do not want.

#71 ·
To Kwikz28,

If you like the car go for it dude and just buy it. I happen to love saabs (used to have 2006 9-3 w/ premium pack and manual transmission) and feel bad that the company went BK. With that being said, I feel there is a lot of fear mongering in this thread. I just bought a new Laser Red SAAB 9-5 turbo 4 premium with the rare manual transmission loaded with all the bells and whistles (tech package, harmon-kardon sound, panoramic sun roof etc) for 29k. Considering that this vehicle cost 47.5k msrp, I saved over 18k. Am I crazy for buying the saab?...probably, but so happy so far.

Like somebody stated earlier, swedish law requires parts availability for up to 10 years for each MY. I would like to point out that people saying banks are not financing these vehicles are absolutely wrong and don't know what they are talking about (I got 3.5% apr from my financial institution). With regard to higher insurance premiums due to lack of new car warranty has absolutly no basis in reality; again I insured my new SAAB with no problems what so ever and the warranty was a non-issue as it relates to insurance premiums.

I bought an aftermarket warranty to cover the major components of the vehicle and called it a day and not looked back. Researched all the major components such as engine, transmission, electronics etc found in the SAAB and the good news is that they are shared with the Buick Lacross and Regal so again no parts availability problems if my car breaks down.

If heaven forbid I was in a fender bender, then there is always the internet or the good old body shop that will help me put my car back together.

I hope this helps?

Leon

G
#78 ·
I'm not trying to be a smart ass either...but I seriously think you're over-estimating how this will help you get parts. It was taking two months to obtain side airbags for the 9-5 in September, and six weeks for a windshield for a 9-4X. I can only imagine how long it will take now.

And the parts shared with GM aren't the ones you'll need to worry about.

#79 ·
Hey Swallow thanks for the insight. I dont disagree with some of you comments regarding certain parts availability. What are parts that you think can be hard to find if the car were to break down or have some glitch not taking into account GM Parts?

I really would like to know for my protection going forward. Thanks in advance for your or anyone else who responds.

:)

G
#80 ·
Hey Swallow thanks for the insight. I dont disagree with some of you comments regarding certain parts availability. What are parts that you think can be hard to find if the car were to break down or have some glitch not taking into account GM Parts?
Any exterior body panel. Anything interior. Anything tied to the electrical system.

And glass--that's the one that would scare me the most, especially a windshield replacement. I don't know how many replacement windshields there are out there, but I'd guess it's not enough. Remember--Swedish law only requires 10 years worth of parts for cars sold IN Sweden. That means those parts have to last for the rest of European and US distribution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.