VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Which one?

• Saab + tweed coat with elbow protectors

Votes: 37 66.1%
  • VW + flat-billed hat, bro

Votes: 19 33.9%

Help a TCLer choose a beater

11K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. 
#1 ·
A fellow TCLer (bwk) is debating between these two vehicles. What say ye, TCL?

1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5-speed - $2,000

Our Saab is in excellent condition. The interior has no damage only normal wear and tear. The body has no rust, damage or dents (the rubber trim has faded). The mileage is 150,000 overall but the engine was replaced at 75,000 miles. The engine runs very strong, the brakes are still good, the ignition, DI module, timing belt and pulley are all good, new exhaust system, will just need an AC recharge and a new battery. The car is in excellent shape. We are the 3rd owner and this is a CA car.

The other choice:

1995 GTI VR6 - Asking $2,100, willing to take $1,400

$ 2100 obo or trade throw me an offer. 95 gti vr6 172,815 miles good running condition going to need a tune-up.the car has been sitting in my garage for 4 months. paid $400 for tags going to need smog.

The car has brand new Brembo rotors, new front bushing,control arms, tie rods, axles, wheel hub and wheel bearing replace. As for aftermarket parts ABT grill and headlights, H&R lowering springs all around, bilstein shocks .

BAD:does have some dents and dings on the body, strut bushing are no good, window switch dont work sunroof is stuck but works. battery terminal needs to be replace and battery.

What say ye, TCL?

See less See more
#3 ·
If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.

I LOLed :p.

Maybe I should make it a sig?

#7 ·
jesus that mark 3 looks like it was a nuclear war survivor

#10 ·
I voted the GTI...because racecar :laugh:

On a serious note, I would choose the GTI because they are fairly reliable and simple to work on. Yes, it's an ugly color - but nothing Macco can't fix :)
I'm not too familiar with Saabs, but I haven't heard many people use Saab + reliable in same sentence.

#13 ·
i found a saab that i desperately need, 91 900 5spd turbo spg for a smokin deal but someones needs to buy my damn wagon so i can make room for it :facepalm:

So i'll let you buy it VAD, it's what you want. pm for details...

#17 ·
A fellow TCLer (bwk) is debating between these two vehicles. What say ye, TCL?

What say ye, TCL?
I've always thought of my Aero as the best VW I've ever had. Fast, great driver feedback, incredible utility, and straightforward to work on. Parts prices are probably less than that VR6 GTI.

I personally wouldn't get a 93 as it was a true crossover year and might make for some headaches here and there.

#18 ·
I voted for the Saab, but would have voted "none of the above" if the option were available. That Saab in particular (aero) is a really nice car and underestimated my opinion. :thumbup::thumbup: A friend of mine daily drives a modified example, and I haven't heard anything bad about it yet... then again, he owns his own shop.

#21 ·
That really is a toughy. 172, 000+ On a VR? You know the MKIII is the New MKII right?

That Saab has had a motor replaced at 75,000 miles? Doesn't seem as if that is a good sign, unless the owner just had a major bonehead moment and torched a motor.

I would say NOTA.

#22 ·
I'm a bit leery of the 93 Aeros, as DD stated above that's a crossover year and many if not most have the dreaded TCS system.

If it doesn't, that's a quick car with some of the best seats ever installed in a car, that is still fast, and will easily haul 4 people in comfort + a ton of stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.