Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
      Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5
      10-14-2020 01:25 PM #76
      Is ADDvanced actually cockerpunk's long lost brother?

ADDDDD "You're not a real car enthusiast unless you wrench on cars!!!"

CP "You're not a real car enthusiast unless you drive at 11/10ths!!!!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      10-14-2020 01:36 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      I haven't heard of Charles, but I have now. LOL, ****ing love this dude.

He's over-the-top, but he's great!

You don't have to work on cars to be an enthusiast. Most of the gamers I know can't program ****, but I don't judge their nerd level because of it. Same with airplane enthusiasts. Most of them can't even FLY A PLANE.
      Agreed.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

4. Member
      Cars
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      10-14-2020 01:40 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      Thatís fine.

But youíll never understand how they work.
      Buncha ****in' losers at NASA never even going to like... 99% of the celestial bodies in the solar system

Cars
      2018 F150
      10-14-2020 01:44 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I'm sorry I know a lot of you guys love Doug but I always get to about the three minute mark and just can't do it.
      But he shows all the cool, neat, interesting details!
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupť heaven
      10-14-2020 01:45 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      I donít see blacked out A-Pillars. I only see black trim on the window frames.
      Technically correct.

I'll change that to "window frames where they meet the a-pillar".
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a CitroŽn.ô

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      10-14-2020 01:58 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      By that measure, someone can't be a music enthusiast if they don't play an instrument, or an art aficionado if they don't paint, sculpt or photograph themselves. Or a foodie if they can't cook!
      Interesting parallels. There is a bit of truth to each one of those things you mentioned.

• I used to be a percussionist. That gave me a better grasp on what made a drummer a talented addition to a band, vs. a drummer that could be replaced by a machine. I still love music, but beyond that scope of knowledge, I'm musically illiterate. My tastes are pretty pedestrian, and worthy of Andy's ridicule.
      • I love photography. My wife thinks I'm a great photographer. Most photographers think my photography sucks. You can guess who I tend to believe.
      • I try to cook, but I'm not terribly good at it. Hence, when someone asks me to recommend a good restaurant, my personal opinion on a place doesn't mean it would be foodie worthy.

As a guy who sucks at a lot more things than I'm good at... that all sounds snobbish and unfair, but it's absolutely real.

Sure... wrenching isn't the be-all, end-all to being a car enthusiast, it's too multi-faceted a hobby to use such a broad brush.
      That said, there needs to be some basis of knowledge of the machine, and there few better ways of getting that knowledge than by taking the thing apart.
      Last edited by Surf Green; 10-14-2020 at 02:02 PM.
      It's comforting to know there's always a chronically angry person at the ready to correct my think.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 210k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 126k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

Cars
      '16 F82 Krautrocket
      10-14-2020 02:07 PM #82
      So do I lose my enthusiast card because I have done some limited wrenching but now a) don't have the time to do so and; b) can afford to pay someone, so I no longer perform any maintenance beyond detail oriented things or small projects I set aside for my seldom few days off and to myself?

Yet I can still diagnose a vast majority of issues before I get to the dealership, i usually leave a written letter stating my thoughts, the likely codes, and likely diagnosis which is usually correct. Guess I'm just not a hardcore enthusiast though because I'd rather spend the extra $20 to have my oil changed instead of spending an afternoon rearranging things to make space for the ramps/jacks etc., drain the oil replace the oil, and then have to go and dump the oil.

ADD I get what you're saying but as already pointed out, it's a very narrow minded frame of view. I think SFV's use of "myopic" is pretty on the money.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

9. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      10-14-2020 02:12 PM #83
      I used to work on my own cars. Then I wasnít poor anymore so I started paying someone else.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

10. Member
      Cars
      2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
      10-14-2020 02:18 PM #84
      Thatís fine.

But youíll never understand how they work. Sure, maybe youíll have a basic understanding but through wrenching I gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for the engineering and design decisions happening beneath the surface.

Not everyone has to be that way. Are you still a car guy? Sure. Just not as much as someone who is enthusiastic as someone who enjoys the pie.

There are things Iíve tried and struggled at, and things I wonít even attempt again (example: rusty exhausts. Nope. Going to pay for that)

That said, I consider the dudes who can craft a beautiful set of tubular headers craftsman, artists, would love to learn more, and if one of them offered to show me how to build some, I would be completely yoked about it. I look up to them because they possess a skill and a facet of being an automotive god I donít currently have, and you donít give a ****.

This is why all my closest friends wrench, we are in it. We strive to learn more and more.

Iím redoing my 911 engine this year. Iíve never done it before and Iím learning a ton. Iíve already made mistakes but Iím gaining confidence and skills I didnít have 5 years ago. Thatís what life is all about imho; pushing yourself and constantly learning.

You seem content where you are at, thatís fine if thatís what you want. I want the whole pie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, I am more into the driving aspect of cars. I know how they work. Honestly, I'd rather continue to learn more about how they work when being driven in terms of driver inputs and road conditions and such. There is a lot of quality people on this board that have insanely cool cars, are really good drivers, and know and share a ton of really cool and useful content so I'm not here to toot my own horn. I'm just trying to show you that, as much as you care about the wrenching aspect, I care about the driving aspect.

I've gotten really interested in rally over the past few years. I've attended a stage rally event, went to a rally driving school, and might do a rally cross at some point. I'm very interested in learning what it takes to improve my skills in that aspect of driving. I'm blown away at how intense rally driving is with the use of pace notes and co-driver's and all of the other elements.

I understand that tires, brakes, suspension, etc. all make the car handle and react in different ways but I have yet to really get much hands on learning with those variables other than my one day class at DirtFish. I want more of that. What I don't want is to learn how to dismantle and reassemble a full set of Reiger suspension or weld a roll cage in a car or change out a driveshaft. I have ZERO interest in it. That doesn't make me less of an enthusiast than you.

11. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      2021 Audi RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      10-14-2020 02:20 PM #85
      Guess I should sell my cars and buy a Camry since I am not an enthusiast since I dont work on my cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.
      Navarra_RS6

Cars
      North American German crap and German German crap
      10-14-2020 02:25 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I used to work on my own cars. Then I wasnít poor anymore so I started paying someone else.
      Ha! You were a poor.
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

13. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      10-14-2020 02:28 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat View Post
      Ha! You were a poor.
      They were dark times. Please, Iíd rather not speak of them.
      Instagram - efrie004

You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Cars
      10-14-2020 02:34 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      They were dark times. Please, Iíd rather not speak of them.
      But you had the former approval of some rando on the internet, so life had to be good amirite?

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

15. Member
      Cars
      77 Porsche 911S, 95 Audi S6 Avant RS2, 04 Beetle Turbo S, 00 Honda Insight, Boats, Sleds, Bikes, etc
      10-14-2020 02:35 PM #89
      It appears I have triggered some people, which was not my intention. Just sharing my opinion of Doug, and why i don't really take his opinions that seriously. He isn't a gearhead.

Gearheads wrench. Can that be ok? If you don't change your oil, you aren't a gearhead. Minimum barrier to entry.

Or does society/automotive culture need to be so inclusive/accepting and worried about offending/hurting people's feelings that there is no barrier to entry to anything anymore?

You can call me myopic or a dickhead, but that isn't my intention, I don't feel that I've insulted anyone, & I am sharing my opinion. If that upsets you I am sorry, but this is a real opinion that is shared by a LOT of gearheads. The built not bought mentality is VERY real, and to completely ignore it doesn't exist is myopic, imho. Safe space. Bubble. Ignoring things you don't want to hear.

Go to ANY car meet, and you will see it. You have the old dudes who restored some muscle car themselves, vs the old guys that show up in a 2019 Challenger and they pretend they're 'in the club'. The dudes driving classic 911s and 2002s, vs the guy that rolls in with a new M4/caymen. Or a JDM meet, the dudes with built 300ZXs and 240s vs a guy in a new stock 370Z and supra. I guarantee you most of the dudes with built cars are rolling their eyes at those people. It's a brand new car, and anyone with a decent credit score can walk into a dealership and come out the other side with basically the same thing. How is that worthy of admiration or impressing anyone? Is it a cool car? Sure. Is that guy a car enthusiast? I don't know, kinda? But I think the people who built their cars are MUCH MORE enthusiastic than the guy who just writes a check every month. I'm perfectly secure enough to admit there are people who know way more than me, and I look up to them because they have knowedge, skills, and experience I don't have. I'm not sure why/when admitting that some people are more into something than you became such an inconceivable, unmentionable statement.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you have of what an enthusiast is, what a gearhead is, and of my opinions. Please share the same courtesy towards me if we disagree, there is no need to be emotional/defensive. It's perfectly fine if you disagree.
      I <3 Weird & Fast. Weirst? Faseird?

IG @ADDvanced
      YT @ADDvanced

16. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      10-14-2020 02:35 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      Makes you wonder why there's not a Honda competitor to this
      We do. The Talon.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

17. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      10-14-2020 02:37 PM #91
      It appears I have triggered some people, which was not my intention. Just sharing my opinion of Doug, and why i don't really take his opinions that seriously. He isn't a gearhead.

Gearheads wrench. Can that be ok? If you don't change your oil, you aren't a gearhead. Minimum barrier to entry.

Or does society/automotive culture need to be so inclusive/accepting and worried about offending/hurting people's feelings that there is no barrier to entry to anything anymore?

You can call me myopic or a dickhead, but that isn't my intention, I don't feel that I've insulted anyone, & I am sharing my opinion. If that upsets you I am sorry, but this is a real opinion that is shared by a LOT of gearheads. The built not bought mentality is VERY real, and to completely ignore it doesn't exist is myopic, imho. Safe space. Bubble. Ignoring things you don't want to hear.

Go to ANY car meet, and you will see it. You have the old dudes who restored some muscle car themselves, vs the old guys that show up in a 2019 Challenger and they pretend they're 'in the club'. The dudes driving classic 911s and 2002s, vs the guy that rolls in with a new M4/caymen. Or a JDM meet, the dudes with built 300ZXs and 240s vs a guy in a new stock 370Z and supra. I guarantee you most of the dudes with built cars are rolling their eyes at those people. It's a brand new car, and anyone with a decent credit score can walk into a dealership and come out the other side with basically the same thing. How is that worthy of admiration or impressing anyone? Is it a cool car? Sure. Is that guy a car enthusiast? I don't know, kinda? But I think the people who built their cars are MUCH MORE enthusiastic than the guy who just writes a check every month. I'm perfectly secure enough to admit there are people who know way more than me, and I look up to them because they have knowedge, skills, and experience I don't have. I'm not sure why/when admitting that some people are more into something than you became such an inconceivable, unmentionable statement.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you have of what an enthusiast is, what a gearhead is, and of my opinions. Please share the same courtesy towards me if we disagree, there is no need to be emotional/defensive. It's perfectly fine if you disagree.
      What if I told you there are M4 and Cayman owners that do their own maintenance?

The points youíre making, theyíre, well... Pointless.
      Instagram - efrie004

18. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      10-14-2020 02:40 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Guess I should sell my cars and buy a Camry since I am not an enthusiast since I dont work on my cars.
      You and your automatic transmission, dealer serviced Audi. Not enthusiast material.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

19. Member
      10-14-2020 02:43 PM #93

Why can't people enjoy different aspects of the hobby, though? Some people just like driving more than wrenching, or don't have the space or tools or confidence to learn how to work on their cars.

Sometimes I don't even consider myself to be that big of a car enthusiast just because all I like to do is work on stuff. I rarely go out for fun drives or to the track or to any meets because I'd rather be spending that time wrenching or tinkering, so there's a pretty big part of the hobby that I don't even participate in. Just because someone else prefers to do the opposite doesn't make them any less of a car enthusiast IMO.
      Current: 2007 Mazda MX5 5MT | 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT | 1991 Toyota Pickup 5MT
      Previous: 1989 Volvo 240 5MT | 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 5MT | 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE 5MT | 1996 Subaru Outback 5MT | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT | 1986 Toyota MR2 5MT

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      10-14-2020 02:43 PM #94
      I don't know why you would. It's still under warranty, right?

Cars
      10-14-2020 02:44 PM #95

The RSTRD!

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

22. Member
      10-14-2020 02:45 PM #96

Is it bad that I really like this?
      Current: 2007 Mazda MX5 5MT | 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT | 1991 Toyota Pickup 5MT
      Previous: 1989 Volvo 240 5MT | 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 5MT | 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE 5MT | 1996 Subaru Outback 5MT | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT | 1986 Toyota MR2 5MT

23. Member
      Cars
      2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
      10-14-2020 02:45 PM #97

Understand that I've taken your posts as a conversation and am not upset that you feel the way you do. I think you've done a good job explaining your points.

I think what is triggering a bit about your comments is that wrenching is the only true barrier to entry for being a car guy.

24. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      10-14-2020 02:45 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat View Post
      The RSTRD!
      Those rimZ tho'
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

25. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      10-14-2020 02:47 PM #99

The European spec cars are always so much better than the US cars.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      S60.
      10-14-2020 02:49 PM #100

RS6 POSER

Yeesh. Some very narrow definitions about being a car enthusiast in here.

I only really got into wrenching once I got *older*. When I was younger, I leased cars so I had a warranty, and I didnít have a lot of time to work on them. Did more autocrossing back then too, so, sorry VW Credit

For me, Doug falls in that category of YouTuber I like, but the videos arenít for me. I tend not to get through the entire video, but I see why people get into his detailed walkthroughs.

The guys I donít ďgetĒ are Vehicle Virgins or AutoVlog, where Iím not exactly sure why people are watching. And thatís not even a knock on them, I just donít see it, not for me, but clearly theyíre doing fine without me watching them.

Spike Feresten and Matt Farah are just pure entertainment for me, but theyíre who I listen to the most. And they arenít building a thing.
      Last edited by MylesPH1; 10-14-2020 at 02:52 PM.
      Itís alive!!!

http://vintageuro.com

Stories, podcasts, and pics of all the good things

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast