Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      10-13-2020 04:53 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      It's the fact that he's a horrible, amateurish car reviewer that lacks intelligent or articulate engineering or design insight. He somehow makes up for it with the personality of a giant, googly-eyed child that, inexplicably, many people seem to be drawn to.

Who gives a **** what he has to say about the Bronco, or any car. He's just another hack who has lucked into making a living being an attention whore on Youtube.
      The same difference between the popularity of professional photographers and the biggest Instagram accounts. Doug gets way more views and followers than traditional auto journalists because the average person doesn't have much interest in the deep engineering explanations. He's like watching This Old House. They only showcase technical details at an informationally entertaining level.
      Last edited by oidoglr; 10-13-2020 at 04:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2009 VW GTI, 2002 VW Golf
      10-13-2020 04:58 PM #27
      It's the fact that he's a horrible, amateurish car reviewer that lacks intelligent or articulate engineering or design insight. He somehow makes up for it with the personality of a giant, googly-eyed child that, inexplicably, many people seem to be drawn to.

Who gives a **** what he has to say about the Bronco, or any car. He's just another hack who has lucked into making a living being an attention whore on Youtube.
      Aforementioned "many people."

Cars
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      10-13-2020 04:58 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      The same difference between the popularity of professional photographers and the biggest Instagram accounts. Doug gets way more views and followers than traditional auto journalists because the average person doesn't have much interest in the deep engineering explanations. He's like watching This Old House. They only showcase technical details at an informationally entertaining level.
      I mean, kind of. But he addresses things that are directly relevant to living with the car: comfort, switchgear, infotainment, etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time

Cars
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-13-2020 04:59 PM #29

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Cars
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      10-13-2020 05:01 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      Not to mention, most professional automotive journalists don't give "deep engineering explanations."

Traditional automotive journalism is something my dad reads. It provides basic technical specs that can easily be googled. It then talks about how the car handles and brakes. ANd it makes a vague reference to how nice the interior is.

Doug does the opposite. He totally forgoes performance metrics, and instead just focuses on "living with" the car. You get videos of exhaust notes, detailed explanations of infotainment systems, locations of oddities in the car, etc. I like it alot.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time

10-13-2020 05:02 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I'm sorry I know a lot of you guys love Doug but I always get to about the three minute mark and just can't do it.
      same for me, except you beat me by 2:59. I'm gonna try playing it back at a faster speed to see if it's less annoying because I do want to see the bronco.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      10-13-2020 05:17 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      Not to mention, most professional automotive journalists don't give "deep engineering explanations."

Traditional automotive journalism is something my dad reads. It provides basic technical specs that can easily be googled. It then talks about how the car handles and brakes. ANd it makes a vague reference to how nice the interior is.

Doug does the opposite. He totally forgoes performance metrics, and instead just focuses on "living with" the car. You get videos of exhaust notes, detailed explanations of infotainment systems, locations of oddities in the car, etc. I like it alot.
      I would argue that Doug reviews cars very differently than most other youtubers. Almost everyone tries to give their impression of the performance and feel of a car. Some spend some time going over the exterior and interior of the car, as well as features. No one else scrutinizes the construction, features, and usability of a car to the complete expense of the drive. I definitely watch Doug---he's not perfect. I think some of his opinions on automotive-related things can be fairly douchy. I dislike how he discloses the source of some cars and not others. He seems to more frequently not to disclose cars sourced from manufacturers. Frankly, I think some of his success has gone to his head. But when he gets down to what he does best, I don't mind him. But I also watch videos from a bunch of other youtubers.

Not sure why the keyboard warriors need to be so aggressive on a such a superficial topic. And yea, I'll get around to watching this Bronco review over the next several weeks.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      10-13-2020 05:17 PM #33
      I love the TCL Doug Hate, it smells like...

... views.

3.76M subscribers
      Over a Billion video views.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/chan...JYTaEnf_vmTNqg

Cars
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      10-13-2020 05:19 PM #34
      Seadogs Tshirt!!

Cars
      Civic/Civic Si/Civic Allroad
      10-13-2020 08:49 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

3.76M subscribers
      Over a Billion video views.

And by no means a fluke. Doug definitely isn't stupid.

Cars
      2019 Mazda 3
      10-13-2020 09:27 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      I can't even make it three minutes. I don't get the appeal.
      I lasted 40 seconds. I'm not a fan of him.

13. Member
      Cars
      77 Porsche 911S, 95 Audi S6 Avant RS2, 04 Beetle Turbo S, 00 Honda Insight, Boats, Sleds, Bikes, etc
      10-13-2020 09:34 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by AHTOXA View Post
      I agree with you on this; this is what Doug does best - quirky things about cars while seeding his presentation with bits of related history. In all, he does his research well,
      No he doesn't. I've corrected him countless times on all sorts of things. Dude doesn't wrench at all, so he is pretty clueless about anything technical. I still think he's an okay dude, and going into all the details on the interiors is great, but when it comes to nuts and bolts he's kind of lost. I consider anybody who gets dirty and wrenches much more of a real car person than Doug.

I think his time spent working at Porsche gave him some insight into the car design and development process.
      K, so I don't hate Doug at all... but... lmao. No ****ing way dude. I just checked his wiki. He was a 'vehicle allocation manager' at Porsche in Atlanta. That sounds like a glorified "so and so wants this car combination can you find it" type of job. He majored in Economics (lol), not engineering and not design. As far as I know, no actual design or engineering happens there... seems more like a 'rich boy in person porsche catalogue order form' experience, that helps people pick out what color thread on what color leather they want to order.
      Last edited by ADDvanced; 10-13-2020 at 09:43 PM.
      I <3 Weird & Fast. Weirst? Faseird?

IG @ADDvanced
      YT @ADDvanced

Cars
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      10-13-2020 09:35 PM #38
      I love Doug. I have watched 100% of his videos, beginning to end.

He looks at cars like I do: not just something cool to drive or wrench on, but a conglomeration of odd quirks and interesting corporate design and planning decisions. I think his time spent working at Porsche gave him some insight into the car design and development process.

There are tons of reviewers that do performance tests and track tests of cars. Doug is the only reviewer that actually gives me interesting, funny quirks and lets me see what living with the car, day to day, would be like.

His voice is fairly comical.

I've talked to Doug (via e-mail) a few times. He waffled (and then decided not to) review my 47k mile all-original 5-speed 1986 BMW 535is. He's a nice guy, and he's very intelligent. His take on cars (amusing devices with lots of quirks) is similar to mine. I enjoy it.
      But I understand why others don't.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Same here. I love his quirkiness with reviews, and immediately set aside 20 to 25 mins to watch his new reviews when posted. And his voice amuses me; it’s like his tongue it too big for his mouth and he has to compensate when speaking (sorta like Jay Leno).
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      10-13-2020 09:36 PM #39
      I'm not a fan of Doug, but I appreciate the in-depth view of the new Bronco. Even if it doesn't have an engine...
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Cars
      1988 Trans Am
      10-13-2020 10:02 PM #40
      F all you Doug haters. I love my quirks and features.

10-13-2020 10:09 PM #41
      He's crafted his image to attract viewers and for that... he's a poser.

18. Junior Member
      10-13-2020 10:39 PM #42
      The new Bronco is a lifestyle vehicle and not related to the same DNA as the old vehicle with truly work-a-day roots,
      it won't be as durable, even if it is more reliable in the first five years. That won't stop most of those who buy it loving it
      no matter what, but those that actually have driven or owned the real thing and original are in for some disappointment.

What kind of nonsense is Ford up to supplying a review car without an engine? Well considering how absurd things have become in the world today I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Must be something to hide if you ask me.

That thing Doug reviewed looks like a cartoon vehicle with the huge oversized wheels that probably appeal to the "bro dozer" crowd...they like to roll coal..
      Last edited by Snowflake White; 10-13-2020 at 11:03 PM.

19. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      10-14-2020 01:27 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      This is the first Ford I'd buy in a very long time. Makes you wonder why there's not a Honda competitor to this and the Wrangler, or even the Jimny stateside. Chevrolet really dropped the ball with the Blazer.
      The Blazer is a fine enough competitor to the Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, and Honda Passport.
      The choice of a heritage name is probably the only place GM dropped the ball with Blazer, according to SOME people who are enthusiastic about the name. If Ford, however, had called the Bronco the “F-5”, then most of the criticism of the use of the Blazer name on a CUV wouldn’t exist. We’ll see if Maverick purists will complain about that name being used on a FWD compact pick up truck.

20. Member
      Cars
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      10-14-2020 01:46 AM #44
      I don't think he's hated here as much as Scotty.

Cars
      2017 STI
      10-14-2020 07:05 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      Dougs reviews usually leave me disappointed. I like the interior details, but when it comes to driving he generally never goes anywhere to see what makes the car enjoyable or worth owning.

It's kind of like the E34 M5 vs UrS4 comparo done a while back by Car and Driver.

Magnum Force: UrS4 vs M5 vs 500e

The M5 walked away from the competition....

but they tested it in the southwest, on canyon runs.

I wonder how that test would have turned out at altitude, or, you know, in varying weather conditions, because I guarantee you when it's dumping fluffy pow on mountain passes, there is no other car I'd rather be driving in the world, apart from maybe a genuine RS2. The combination of boost at altitude, satisfying manual, and real torsen based quattro with a singing 5 cylinder is just... oof.

I'm rambling, but my point is that unless you take a car to an area where it belongs, what good is your actual review? I didn't watch Doug's review here, but most of hte time he just drives around in LA with traffic everywhere, so now that it's a bronco he actually goes somewhere off the road? Okay, but why not go special places for all the other cars?
      I think the nice part of his reviews are that he's driving the thing on normal roads that you or I would drive on. Not C&D "best driver's car" competitions where they get the popo to shut down a road so they can go flat out and fully send it at 11/tents which is something that cannot be done 99% of the time, and nit pick how one car's left rear wheel is more talkative than another's.

DeMuro, TheTopher on youtube, Savagegeese, etc.... all drive on regular ass roads at normal sanity speeds and assess the car based on that.

That said I do find Doug annoying and his reviews are generally pretty scattered.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      10-14-2020 07:16 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      I think the nice part of his reviews are that he's driving the thing on normal roads that you or I would drive on. .
      What bothered me about this review is that he never drove it anywhere. I know it was just a tour... but I can find the grocery bag hooks and hidden compartments in a vehicle on my own. I don't need a 30 minute walk around, which is why, like a lot of people in this thread, I made it almost to the 3 minute mark before I was previewing forward looking for anything interesting.
      It's comforting to know there's always a chronically angry person at the ready to correct my think.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 210k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 126k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

23. Senior Member
      10-14-2020 07:56 AM #47
      I'll be looking at the Bronco when the extended warranty is done on my Escape. Escape, too.

Didn't even click on the video after reading your comments on him.

Cars
      2009 VW GTI, 2002 VW Golf
      10-14-2020 08:24 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      What bothered me about this review is that he never drove it anywhere.
      It's a pre-production prototype. All the buttons and switches are fake and it has no engine.

Cars
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track
      10-14-2020 09:04 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      He's crafted his image to attract viewers and for that... he's a poser.
      All the way to the bank. It beats the hell out of sitting at a desk working a corporate job. Let the kids worry about "authenticity".

Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      It's a pre-production prototype. All the buttons and switches are fake and it has no engine.
      Yeah, he literally says that at the beginning of the review. I think some people showed up in this thread just to hate Doug without paying any attention.

As others have said, I enjoy Doug's videos because he talks about the features you're going to use living with the car. You can watch 100 other videos for flexing racecar authenticity hard pro driving opinions.

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      10-14-2020 10:01 AM #50
      Hipster YouTube viewers: "My favorite channel? You've probably never heard of it"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast