Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      10-13-2020 12:00 PM #1

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2015 GTI
      10-13-2020 12:40 PM #2
      I am surprised he could not get one with an engine in it...

Cars
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition, 2013 Honda CB500X
      10-13-2020 12:42 PM #3
      This is the first Ford I'd buy in a very long time. Makes you wonder why there's not a Honda competitor to this and the Wrangler, or even the Jimny stateside. Chevrolet really dropped the ball with the Blazer.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

10-13-2020 12:49 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      This is the first Ford I'd buy in a very long time. Makes you wonder why there's not a Honda competitor to this and the Wrangler, or even the Jimny stateside. Chevrolet really dropped the ball with the Blazer.
      Of all the brands you could've mentioned you're wondering why Honda doesn't have a competitor to this? A hard core BOF off-roader seems completely out of their wheelhouse.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Cars
      88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      10-13-2020 12:56 PM #5
      I'm sorry I know a lot of you guys love Doug but I always get to about the three minute mark and just can't do it.

7. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      10-13-2020 01:06 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I'm sorry I know a lot of you guys love Doug but I always get to about the three minute mark and just can't do it.
      I just don't care about another SUV hitting the market. Demuro is Ok but could be more entertaining at the same time too.
      You can’t take advantage of “record low” gas prices when you have nowhere to drive. And it’s not really more affordable if you don’t have a paycheck to buy it with.

10-13-2020 01:15 PM #7

It's that voice. It just makes me cringe.
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Cars
      '19 4Runner TRD Offroad, 2012 V-Strom 650 ADV
      10-13-2020 01:34 PM #8
      Man, I love that thing. I didn't really pay much attention to it until this video and I have to say, that is freakin' awesome. Would I buy one? Yeah, maybe, but it would be hard to justify letting go of my 4Runner.

Cars
      BlueStar, NA, V227
      10-13-2020 01:39 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      This... is a 2020 thread about Doug Demuro.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

11. Member
      Cars
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      10-13-2020 01:45 PM #10
      I can't even make it three minutes. I don't get the appeal.

12. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      10-13-2020 01:49 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Of all the brands you could've mentioned you're wondering why Honda doesn't have a competitor to this? A hard core BOF off-roader seems completely out of their wheelhouse.

had the same thought - honda?!

it makes me chuckle that this followed on the heels of the soft roading defender.

this is definitely a pretty damn compelling wrangler competitor!

i always see doug as a non car persons idea of a car person.

13. Member
      Cars
      77 Porsche 911S, 95 Audi S6 Avant RS2, 04 Beetle Turbo S, 00 Honda Insight, Boats, Sleds, Bikes, etc
      10-13-2020 02:20 PM #12
      Dougs reviews usually leave me disappointed. I like the interior details, but when it comes to driving he generally never goes anywhere to see what makes the car enjoyable or worth owning.

It's kind of like the E34 M5 vs UrS4 comparo done a while back by Car and Driver.

Magnum Force: UrS4 vs M5 vs 500e

The M5 walked away from the competition....

but they tested it in the southwest, on canyon runs.

I wonder how that test would have turned out at altitude, or, you know, in varying weather conditions, because I guarantee you when it's dumping fluffy pow on mountain passes, there is no other car I'd rather be driving in the world, apart from maybe a genuine RS2. The combination of boost at altitude, satisfying manual, and real torsen based quattro with a singing 5 cylinder is just... oof.

I'm rambling, but my point is that unless you take a car to an area where it belongs, what good is your actual review? I didn't watch Doug's review here, but most of hte time he just drives around in LA with traffic everywhere, so now that it's a bronco he actually goes somewhere off the road? Okay, but why not go special places for all the other cars?
      I <3 Weird & Fast. Weirst? Faseird?

IG @ADDvanced
      YT @ADDvanced

Cars
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      10-13-2020 02:36 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post

I'm rambling, but my point is that unless you take a car to an area where it belongs, what good is your actual review? I didn't watch Doug's review here, but most of hte time he just drives around in LA with traffic everywhere, so now that it's a bronco he actually goes somewhere off the road? Okay, but why not go special places for all the other cars?
      I'm guessing but I think his niche is that he focuses on the everyday details the people would use and not really the overall car like most of the other car reviews. If people want to see a particular car in it's environment most manufacturers do that in their commercials so there's no need to show it again. There are also a ton of reviewers that do the "go to place/trach and drive the crap out of the car" so why would he do the exact same thing as everyone else?

I like Doug and appreciate that he does a review a little different then all of the other reviewers out there.

Cars
      '19 Miata GT-S
      10-13-2020 02:41 PM #14
      I see a lot of people acting like his voice is intolerable, and while it certainly isn't the most sonorous voice, I've never found it to be particularly objectionable either.

Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      Dougs reviews usually leave me disappointed. I like the interior details, but when it comes to driving he generally never goes anywhere to see what makes the car enjoyable or worth owning.

I like Doug personally, but his reviews are very focused on styling and interior details. There are plenty of reviews out there that are good at talking about the driving experience of cars, but Doug isn't one of them. Personally, I like what Doug does and think he fills a niche that a lot of other car reviewers aren't interested in.

As for where he's shooting this, it's a preproduction model that doesn't have an engine, so I suspect it has much more to do with the fact that Doug had to go to the car to review it. This isn't an off-road review with a special location by any means.
      Last edited by aethelwulf; 10-13-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Cars
      88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      10-13-2020 03:28 PM #15
      The voice, the overly emphatic hand gestures, and why is he hiding behind the Bronco so you can only see his head and hands? He does get points for the Portland Sea Dogs shirt though.

Cars
      a Metro pass.
      10-13-2020 03:35 PM #16
      It's the fact that he's a horrible, amateurish car reviewer that lacks intelligent or articulate engineering or design insight. He somehow makes up for it with the personality of a giant, googly-eyed child that, inexplicably, many people seem to be drawn to.

Who gives a **** what he has to say about the Bronco, or any car. He's just another hack who has lucked into making a living being an attention whore on Youtube.
      ||||||||||||||
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Cars
      '19 4Runner TRD Offroad, 2012 V-Strom 650 ADV
      10-13-2020 03:37 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by aethelwulf View Post
      I like Doug personally, but his reviews are very focused on styling and interior details. There are plenty of reviews out there that are good at talking about the driving experience of cars, but Doug isn't one of them. Personally, I like what Doug does and think he fills a niche that a lot of other car reviewers aren't interested in.
      I agree with you on this; this is what Doug does best - quirky things about cars while seeding his presentation with bits of related history. In all, he does his research well, knows what he's talking about and finds things that are interesting. This is what separates him from the other channels that are focused on driving experiences or spec sheets.

His delivery isn't great, maybe, but it's decidedly his and his content makes up for most of that. I enjoy his videos, especially on older and more rare cars.

10-13-2020 03:42 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by child_in_time View Post
      That's perfect for Doug, he's really only interested in the styling and interior.
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      10-13-2020 03:44 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by child_in_time View Post
      I'm kinda surprised get hot his hands on one that didn't.

Maybe he'll make another video telling us all about how he got his hands on it.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      10-13-2020 03:46 PM #20
      Looking forward to watching this. His detailed take on the Defender showed me details and minutia of the design and functions that I had not read or seen in any other review at that time.

And I don't think Doug has ever pretended to give great driving reviews. For him, and his many millions strong regular audience, it's about design and feature details above all else. A no-engine review is about the Dougy-est Doug that's ever Doug'ed.

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5
      10-13-2020 03:58 PM #21
      I like how this thread has turned into a TCL review of Doug Demuro.

Cars
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      10-13-2020 04:01 PM #22
      I love Doug. I have watched 100% of his videos, beginning to end.

He looks at cars like I do: not just something cool to drive or wrench on, but a conglomeration of odd quirks and interesting corporate design and planning decisions. I think his time spent working at Porsche gave him some insight into the car design and development process.

There are tons of reviewers that do performance tests and track tests of cars. Doug is the only reviewer that actually gives me interesting, funny quirks and lets me see what living with the car, day to day, would be like.

His voice is fairly comical.

I've talked to Doug (via e-mail) a few times. He waffled (and then decided not to) review my 47k mile all-original 5-speed 1986 BMW 535is. He's a nice guy, and he's very intelligent. His take on cars (amusing devices with lots of quirks) is similar to mine. I enjoy it.
      But I understand why others don't.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      A no-engine review is about the Dougy-est Doug that's ever Doug'ed.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time

24. Member
      Cars
      2019 R, 2018 Tiguan
      10-13-2020 04:11 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      It's the fact that he's a horrible, amateurish car reviewer that lacks intelligent or articulate engineering or design insight. He somehow makes up for it with the personality of a giant, googly-eyed child that, inexplicably, many people seem to be drawn to.

Who gives a **** what he has to say about the Bronco, or any car. He's just another hack who has lucked into making a living being an attention whore on Youtube.
      Somebody is jealous!

Like others have mentioned, nobody else gives you all of the little details like Doug does. Makes me feel like I have personally experienced sitting in a McLaren F1 or something else I will never get a chance to see.

Cars
      2009 VW GTI, 2002 VW Golf
      10-13-2020 04:14 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by AHTOXA View Post
      In all, he does his research well, knows what he's talking about and finds things that are interesting.
      This is true, but eeeevery once in a while he will say something that's so incorrect it catches me off guard. I can remember two particular times I had to stop the video and rewind to make sure I heard correctly. Here in the SAAB 9-5 video @8:28 he talks about how he really likes the black painted A-pillars that no one else was doing at the time...

https://youtu.be/sj2DtHCCa0c?t=509

...except for the much more culturally significant, highly influential Nissan GT-R which came out with that style 3 years prior. It's almost certainly where SAAB and everyone else copied that from.

And then in his G-Wagon convertible reveiw, he talks about how he was expecting the drop-top model to be all flexy and non-ridgid @28:00.

https://youtu.be/rs0khSZ72Xs?t=1681

...uhhh, Doug, it's a body-on-frame vehicle. That roof isn't doing anything regardless. How does Doug of all people not know that?

It's also funny when he sees something and then just sort of makes up what he thinks was the decision making process behind it and reports it matter-of-factly. But that is obviously just nit-picking. Doug is great overall.

Cars
      2018 Tiguan Highline, 2012 X5 35d
      10-13-2020 04:30 PM #25
      Y'all better stop hating on my boy

I remember I got into an argument on Reddit with him one time because I was saying that he comes off a too pretentious and a "know it all" and I really didn't care for all his "and your piece of **** car is too peasant like to have THIS feature"...oddly enough while he did get annoyed I haven't noticed too much of that in his recent videos
      "THIS, is a two-thousand and twenty Doug DeMuro"

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast