Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      09-15-2020 11:32 AM #1
      This might be a bit premature, and maybe its quarantine boredom, but I am weighing my options for my next vehicle, if any. There will probably be a lot of verbal diarrhea so just looking on feedback/advice/random thoughts/calling me an idiot/whatever you want to do. My lease is up end of May and I am leaning on trying out a different car, or not, I am seriously all over the place. These are the options I am weighing.

-New 4Runner SR5 (Purchase)
      -New or slightly used Wrangler (Purchase or Lease depending on what is going to make more sense)
      -Buy out my current 2018 Outback 3.6R
      -Lease or Purchase of a new Ascent with less tech than my 3.6R (lower trim)
      -Go without a car for awhile or buy some old car for like 3k.

So I have yet to test drive any of these cars and am just in my initial thought stages. Here is kind of a breakdown of my situation in bullet points:

-I like taking a fair amount of road trips and I do a lot of summer camping
      -I am leaning towards an SR5 over other trims because that is already kind of what my budget is, and I want to do some light off roading like easier ORV trails/forest trails. Maybe medium off roading too, but no rock crawling or anything like that.
      -Same with the Wrangler, my budget goes towards probably their lower trims as well
      -If I purchase my next vehicle, I want to keep it for the next decade
      -If a Wrangler/4Runner isnt doable, I will probably just go with an Ascent because I would like more space for my road trips and camping, although more space isn't necessary
      -I really like my car now too, only a couple of minor complaints and could always just buy it out at lease end if the numbers make sense

So some of my thought diarrhea going through my head:

I have been working remote at home since March, and while I am most likely going to be office bound in January or Spring, my commute to work is about 2.5 miles to begin with. So do I even need to put a chunk of my income towards a newer car? I've toyed with the thought of maybe getting an old car/truck for days I want to commute to work, and on nice days just use my bike and be healthier. If I want to camp and do road trips and don't trust my old 3k car to do that, I can rent one for a few days/week/etc.

On the flip side, I am rationalizing the 4Runner in my head because if I buy one, I want to keep it for a long time, a real long time. So the "investment" to me might be worth it to have a cool car I want, keep it forever, and make some memories with it. It's definitely the top of my list right now if I decide to go a newer car route, but then again, I have never driven one.

The Wrangler pops in my head because May/June I believe the Bronco comes out? And I am wondering if the Wrangler will be offering some killer deals to attract customers. With Toyota, I feel like they probably wont care as I almost see zero deals ever for that vehicle so I am not expecting it.

With the Ascent, I would actually like to go down a trim level from my current car because I went less frills, mainly I dont want a power lift gate, so I would do a premium or even base with no added on features.

As people know, used car prices are insane right now. I would totally be into a 2 year old lower mileage one of those vehicles, but currently it doesnt seem to make any fiscal sense as opposed to just getting a new vehicle.

So any thoughts/experiences/alternative ideas are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Civic/Civic Si/Civic Allroad
      09-15-2020 11:42 AM #2
      If you're planning on keeping it a long time I'd go 4runner over wrangler. Maybe also check out a Passport. Not as capable as a 4runner or wrangler but likely moreso than the ascent. I'd wager more reliable long term too.

4. Member
      Cars
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      09-15-2020 11:52 AM #3
      I have watched some YouTube videos on the Passport and while I like the space it provides and the engine sounds good, I am just not a big fan of the looks (Not like the Ascent is a head turner, but I still like it more) and doesn't it also come standard with 20 inch rims? Which makes no sense to me. Heck I have 18's on my Outback when I really wanted 17's.

I would definitely be willing to give it a drive though.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-15-2020 11:55 AM #4
      You want a Wrongler. Even a base Sport is plenty capable, and they are one of the few inexpensive cars you can option up however you want and order, just like with a Porsche.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      09-15-2020 11:58 AM #5
      Ask for a 3 month lease extension on the Outback, and get a new Bronco in the summer (lease or finance, depending on which works out better financially).

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      09-15-2020 12:03 PM #6
      Maybe consider going somewhere in the middle and hunt for a 4Runner or GX470 for about $10k. Should get you into a reasonable mileage example with maintenance that will serve you for another decade and you probably won't hurt much in depreciation (if at all!).
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

8. Member
      Cars
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      09-15-2020 12:24 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Ask for a 3 month lease extension on the Outback, and get a new Bronco in the summer (lease or finance, depending on which works out better financially).
      It probably doesn't fit my profile to buy a brand new first year model car from Ford, while the Bronco looks awesome that would give me slight worries, and I was just under the assumption the Bronco pricing and what dealers are going to try to sell it for early on is going to be a huge headache. I guess that's just another thing I will have to wait for once we get closer to that date.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-15-2020 12:30 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonk2Hossa View Post
      It probably doesn't fit my profile to buy a brand new first year model car from Ford, while the Bronco looks awesome that would give me slight worries, and I was just under the assumption the Bronco pricing and what dealers are going to try to sell it for early on is going to be a huge headache. I guess that's just another thing I will have to wait for once we get closer to that date.
      Lease a Wrongler while Broncos work out he kinks and let prices come back down to earth, and then either switch to Bronco or buy out your Wrongler.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      09-15-2020 01:08 PM #9
      Third one today! Lease up in... 8+ months.. somebody was inspired

But, Toyota is always a safe bet. I'd take a 4Runner over a Jeep any day of the week. FIL has a 4Runner and loves it. I like it too. Not enough to ever buy, but its certainly cool and will be a much better vehicle than the stupid VW I bought. (I still love my Atlas, just haven't driven it in over a month) Buying your lease is not a bad idea either, you liked it enough the first time. Not a big fan of the Ascent though. Can't really give a specific reason, just... don't like it... if that makes any sense.

OR. This whole situation will be different after the better part of a year comes and goes and nothing discussed here will be relevant.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

11. Member
      Cars
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      09-15-2020 02:55 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      Third one today! Lease up in... 8+ months.. somebody was inspired

But, Toyota is always a safe bet. I'd take a 4Runner over a Jeep any day of the week. FIL has a 4Runner and loves it. I like it too. Not enough to ever buy, but its certainly cool and will be a much better vehicle than the stupid VW I bought. (I still love my Atlas, just haven't driven it in over a month) Buying your lease is not a bad idea either, you liked it enough the first time. Not a big fan of the Ascent though. Can't really give a specific reason, just... don't like it... if that makes any sense.

OR. This whole situation will be different after the better part of a year comes and goes and nothing discussed here will be relevant.
      Yeah decided to let everyone know my pre-planning 8 months prior thought diarrhea.

Do you not like the Ascent because it doesn't have enough cup holders? For the most part I like it, but its another vehicle I will have to test drive. Yeah if its a purchase I'd much rather go 4Runner, but in the future who knows what deals will look like suppose, maybe it will be something thats too good to pass up. This thread probably is pre-mature, and I would like to do some test drives but I will just wait it would feel like a dick move to test drive something so far in advance during Covid where the interaction isnt necessary.

Cars
      2010 Audi Avant
      09-15-2020 06:50 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonk2Hossa View Post
      Yeah decided to let everyone know my pre-planning 8 months prior thought diarrhea.

Do you not like the Ascent because it doesn't have enough cup holders? For the most part I like it, but its another vehicle I will have to test drive. Yeah if its a purchase I'd much rather go 4Runner, but in the future who knows what deals will look like suppose, maybe it will be something thats too good to pass up. This thread probably is pre-mature, and I would like to do some test drives but I will just wait it would feel like a dick move to test drive something so far in advance during Covid where the interaction isnt necessary.
      This is the best time to test drive... the salesmen don't go with you so you can hoon it as much as you want and really get a feel for the car. I've test driven at least 6 cars in the past 7 months.

Regarding your use... you're going to use it for road trips and daily commute, but is it just you and gf/wife or also kids? The Ascent is the only 3-row you mention, so just wondering if you actually need the extra space or not? We've had a Limited for ~2yrs and it is a fantastic road trip car - comfortable ride, plenty of space, good power, acceptable hwy mileage. Cons are city mpg, CVT, and handling. It seems like a big car as a daily driver for just 1 or 2 people and I would probably go with one of your other options.

PS. I wouldn't feel bad test driving cars at dealerships. It's their job. Personally, I try to respect individual sellers time unless I am seriously considering their car.
      Last edited by Itgb; 09-15-2020 at 06:56 PM.
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line | PAST: 2016 VW GTI S, 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

Cars
      '19 RS3, '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      09-15-2020 07:05 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      Maybe consider going somewhere in the middle and hunt for a 4Runner or GX470 for about $10k. Should get you into a reasonable mileage example with maintenance that will serve you for another decade and you probably won't hurt much in depreciation (if at all!).
      ^^^This. GX470 or 460 all the way. What is a new SR5 trim 4Runner? 38K? That'll get you a nice lightly used off lease soccer mom driven GX.

Not sure about the Subaru Ascent love unless that's just your brand. For the same money I'd consider several others that IMO, are superior - Telluride, CX-9, Edge ST, Pilot/Passport, pre owned FX/QX70, pre owned MDX, pre owned Durango...
      Current: '19 RS3, '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Cars
      It varies.
      09-15-2020 07:35 PM #13
      That's what I'd do. No need to buy new with such a short commute.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

15. Member
      Cars
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      09-16-2020 10:37 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Lease a Wrongler while Broncos work out he kinks and let prices come back down to earth, and then either switch to Bronco or buy out your Wrongler.
      Definitely something I am going to mull over, and I guess it would help me determine if I wanted to continue with the Wrongler or not.

Heres my thing with that, and maybe I am totally just unrealistic in my viewpoint. Looking on autotrader, a 10k 4Runner puts me at a vehicle with 160k-175k miles and anywhere from a 2002-2006. I just cant wrap my head around paying 10k for a 15+ year old vehicle approaching 200k miles. To me, thats a 5k vehicle. And maybe it is my mindset that is wrong as I get that its a Toyota, but not sure if I can break that mental barrier. I feel like I would go with my option of paying 5k for a car thats the lowest mileage I can find with maintenance done to it, and then just rent a car for my camping and road trips throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      ^^^This. GX470 or 460 all the way. What is a new SR5 trim 4Runner? 38K? That'll get you a nice lightly used off lease soccer mom driven GX.

Not sure about the Subaru Ascent love unless that's just your brand. For the same money I'd consider several others that IMO, are superior - Telluride, CX-9, Edge ST, Pilot/Passport, pre owned FX/QX70, pre owned MDX, pre owned Durango...
      GX definitely isn't a bad idea as I really like those, it seems like a better depreciation deal than slightly used 4Runners. As for the Ascent, yes I would call Subaru my brand, also having what I consider a fantastic Subaru dealership 2 miles from me also helps. Ignoring pre-owned, the Telluride is nice but it also sells for over MSRP, no? Based on my previous Subaru dealings I know I can at least get 12-15% off MSRP fairly easily. Kinda shared my comments about the Passport earlier, and I just dont see the Edge or CX-9 moving me to switch brands.

Anyway, thanks for the input! I have lots to mull over and may try and schedule some test drives to help me decide.

Cars
      It varies.
      09-16-2020 11:13 AM #15
      I wouldn't say mileage is irrelevant when talking about a 4Runner or GX, but mileage in the 150-200K range definitely isn't the same indicator of remaining service life as it might be for another car. Generally speaking, if properly maintained, rust will kill these things long before a major mechanical failure does, hence the (relatively speaking) high prices for trucks with those miles.

If you're willing to consider a slightly older vehicle, I really would encourage you to test drive a GX470. Prices are creeping up but they are still fairly easy to find and lots of them have full dealer service histories and were gently used, so you can and should be selective. I think you'll be surprised at how well they drive even with "high" miles.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Cars
      Random Junk
      09-16-2020 11:22 AM #16
      Gx470 or earlier model Gx460 are your best choices.
      Last edited by Stangy; 09-16-2020 at 12:46 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Cheapest way to 9s is to buy someone else's 8 second car, then drive it yourself.
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Elevation down two clicks, windage left two clicks. Send it.

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      09-16-2020 11:31 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Stangy View Post
      Gx470 of earlier model Gx460 are your best choices.
      if you're considering a 4Runner, you should look into the GX for sure.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-16-2020 12:53 PM #18
      I would definitely add a wk2 Grand Cherokee to the list. They're like the 911 of the SUV world in that there's a bazillion different versions. You want a diesel? You can get that. You prefer a V6? You can get that. How about V8 grunt? There's three to choose from. What about matching the features to your preferences and lifestyle? Well, there are certainly plenty of low to medium equipped mall-rated GCs out there. But you can also get versions with a fairly high level of features and luxury, there the trailhawk if you lean more offroad. And of course the SRT and Trackhawk if you don't plan on ever going offroad and prefer speed.

It's got a platform shared with the previous Mercedes ML/GLE, which to me is a positive, but without all the complexity and expense of using mercedes running gear. It uses a ZF8 speed transmission (oddly most of these are made in the US, but the one on the SRT and Trackhawk are made in Germany). It's a real solid platform and if traveling distances are a thing you're interested in, a Wrangler wouldn't be on my list. Anecdotally, about a month ago I made the 6 hour drive from Philly to Erie in our GC. It was great. Never wished I had something more suitable for road trips. My back didn't ache after being on the road for that long. Even our MPG got into the 18s. Having the extra power of the V8 was awesome when passing trucks on the small backroads. I'd still be driving home if we took the far more efficient hyundai.

Somehow these get overlooked quite frequently around here, but they're really good vehices--particularly now since they're coming to the end of their lifecycle. I'm not sure I would want the next gen vehicle based on the Giulia platform.