Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2020 Prius Prime, 2016 RAV4 Hybrid
      09-15-2020 07:48 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Just skimming this thread, but are folks actually saying they don't think NARROWER snow tires help? Because I think they definitely do.

It's why the pros do this in the snow:

There are more than one type of winter tire for rally events.

The super skinny ones are used on off-road stages or paved roads with very deep snow.

For winter stages on, you know, actual paved roads with snow and ice similar to what you and I drive on, they use much wider tires.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      09-15-2020 08:02 PM #52
      Definitely. Intentionally narrow. Wanted pizza cutters.

Does anyone know if the Hakka R3 is the 'sportiest' winter tire they sell? For mostly dry roads in the city?
      There isn't anything sporty about the R3 and its performance in tests and reviews has been class leading, but not class topping. It hasn't been stealing the #1 spot like previous tires. Either nokian has lost it's touch or the competition has caught up.

I think they Hakka 9 without studs will probably have firmer handling than the r3, but without studs they are decent but not great on ice.

I'd look into pilot alpins if you're looking for something sporty for your R

4. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-15-2020 08:43 PM #53

Does anyone know if the Hakka R3 is the 'sportiest' winter tire they sell? For mostly dry roads in the city?
      It's the all weather nokian WR G4

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

Cars
      88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      09-16-2020 06:20 AM #54
      Hahah, I don't doubt it. You can't compare regular Blizzaks to STUDDED winter tires.
      My point was that most people including some posting in here would say there is absolutely no need to put hakkas on an allroad and that a Blizzak or the like would be fine. She has had Blizzaks for her last two winter sets and was astounded by the difference in winter driving all around not just ice.

Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      09-16-2020 11:29 AM #55
      Thanks for all the replies and info folks, OP checking in.

I think I'll end up giving the Continental Vikings a try, largely because of positive on-road driving reports such as noise, wet, dry, etc., but also because they're the least expensive (although not too much less than Blizzaks). This is because my ice/snow driving doesn't usually start in my driveway, I travel on road for a bit before getting to the snowy stuff. I am genuinely looking forward to trying them in snow and ice though, I've spent my life slip-sliding around on all season or performance tires when I go to the mountains. I'm sure these things will be a revelation.

Will report back findings in a few months.

7. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman | 2019 Golf R | 2015 Golf
      09-16-2020 12:36 PM #56
      Narrow I get. But your diameter is quite a bit smaller than stock. According to https://tiresize.com/comparison/ you are close, but my real world comparison with the Nokians show they run small. Golf R is already a low car, making it lower in the winter isn't something I'd be doing.

Cars
      84 GTI, 07 Civic, 17 Golf Sportwagen 4motion
      09-16-2020 01:12 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      An absolute waste of money on a VW Sportwagen. If it were going on an E63S or something, then I'd agree but given the use-case, Blizzak.
      When talking about just on snow and ice start, stop and cornering performance, then I would agree, they are the same. On cold bare asphalt, Nokians are the better tire. They are not as soft as the Blizzaks and therefore are less squeamish on dry pavement and do not wear as fast.

I have run every big name extreme weather tire(Blizzak, Observe, etc...) over the years and Nokians are by far the best I have ever had and worth every penny...it's the most important part of the car. Gislaved are a close second and I am running them right now on my GSW.

Nokians are more $, but they last much longer so it balances out. I have regularly gotten 4 seasons out of a set. Running them from mid November to the end of March.

Also, if you want a less pricey option, you can get the Nordmans which are simply a previous generation Hakkas.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      09-16-2020 01:24 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      Thanks for all the replies and info folks, OP checking in.

I think I'll end up giving the Continental Vikings a try, largely because of positive on-road driving reports such as noise, wet, dry, etc., but also because they're the least expensive (although not too much less than Blizzaks).
      Same here, with the Civic Si, being a sportier car, I'm ok with leaning towards the "sportier" tire. I'll be driving the AWD RAV4 on the worst days anyway and it's Cooper winter tires are seriously deep and snow biased. The Contis are priced the same as the Generals I would have bought instead.

As for all the brand back and forth, I paid up for Nokians once. I didn't find them to be appreciably better than anything else I'd tried up till then, and they lasted me the exact same 3 winters as everything else always had. If you think they are so much better, fantastic, I won't argue with your experience, by all means, get them, but I don't know that I'd personally pay the premium again.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      09-16-2020 01:32 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Narrow I get. But your diameter is quite a bit smaller than stock. According to https://tiresize.com/comparison/ you are close, but my real world comparison with the Nokians show they run small. Golf R is already a low car, making it lower in the winter isn't something I'd be doing.
      Is he not using 205/50R17? If so that is a fine size to use. The only reason a Golf R comes with 235/35R19 is because the load rating on a 225/35R19 (which is technically correct compared to the 16", 17", 18" sizes used on Golfs/GTI's across the range) is not high enough.

11. Member
      Cars
      09-16-2020 02:57 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by VWPal View Post
      When talking about just on snow and ice start, stop and cornering performance, then I would agree, they are the same. On cold bare asphalt, Nokians are the better tire. They are not as soft as the Blizzaks and therefore are less squeamish on dry pavement and do not wear as fast.

I have run every big name extreme weather tire(Blizzak, Observe, etc...) over the years and Nokians are by far the best I have ever had and worth every penny...it's the most important part of the car. Gislaved are a close second and I am running them right now on my GSW.

Nokians are more $, but they last much longer so it balances out. I have regularly gotten 4 seasons out of a set. Running them from mid November to the end of March.

Also, if you want a less pricey option, you can get the Nordmans which are simply a previous generation Hakkas.
      I was in the tire business for a while and a tire geek.

Certain models are hit or miss. I can't agree that Gislaved are a close second because the quality of their offerings isn't consistent and the company is pretty much selling hand me downs developed by Conti almost a decade ago. The last tire Gislaved designed was the nf100 and that tire was a total bummer and has been handed down To Contis value brand, General, as the Altimax artic 12.

The new Gislaved nf200 is a Continental hand me down that was only sold in Europe and with some limited availability in Canada, I ran those in 2012.
      It was a studded only tire introduced by Conti in 2012 called the contiicecontact, it was pretty much a Hakka 8 competitor, both the Hakka 7-8 and contiicecontact were getting 1st of 2nd place wins by reviewers in Russia, Finland, Norway, etc. They transfered the moulds to gislaved which started offering it with or without factory studs.

It's a very good tire, but continental is already two generations ahead with the icecontact 3, which has been outperforming the Hakka 9 in almost every single test and review in Europe and Russia.

And gislaved doesn't develop tires anymore, they just sell hand me down from previous gen continental now. They are great tires but if you want the absolute best, you're better off with getting whatever Conti is selling today.

Cars
      09-16-2020 03:03 PM #61
      Just want to thank OP for posting this as if he hadn't I would have more than likely missed out on this closeout deal on Firestone Winterforce with Bremmer Krafts. 17" for the Sportwagen.

Ordered on Monday, delivered today. I have to say there aren't many operations in my experience that have their **** together as much as Tire Rack does.

Now that is off my list and I can install as soon as the flakes start flying.

13. Member
      Cars
      09-16-2020 03:13 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Just want to thank OP for posting this as if he hadn't I would have more than likely missed out on this closeout deal on Firestone Winterforce with Bremmer Krafts. 17" for the Sportwagen.

Ordered on Monday, delivered today. I have to say there aren't many operations in my experience that have their **** together as much as Tire Rack does.

Now that is off my list and I can install as soon as the flakes start flying.

Studded, very nice.

14. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      2021 Audi RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      09-16-2020 03:18 PM #63
      Not much to add for OP, but I was dreading finding winters for the RS6. I happened to google Pierlli Scottozeros and found a set on Walmart.com for 525 dollars shipped to my door. Every other site was 500 a tire.

Great success
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      09-16-2020 03:39 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Not much to add for OP, but I was dreading finding winters for the RS6. I happened to google Pierlli Scottozeros and found a set on Walmart.com for 525 dollars shipped to my door. Every other site was 500 a tire.

Great success

Do you have a link? Not trying to rain on your parade but I wouldn't be surprised if only one tire shows up.

16. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      09-16-2020 03:44 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Do you have a link? Not trying to rain on your parade but I wouldn't be surprised if only one tire shows up.
      3 of them shipped from one warehouse yesterday, then 10 minutes later the 4th one's email showed up. So they have shipped. and I should have them tomorrow!

But here you are!

As someone who works in an industry where its normally "if its too good to be true" when I find that, I try to find every avenue that I can get hurt. I still cant find it with these (other than they are 35 sized sidewall versus the recommended 40)
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      09-16-2020 03:47 PM #66
      Uncle JB,

Those look the business! I've run Firestone Winterforce on multiple cars, front and rear-wheel drive (unstudded), and was always happy with them. A bit squishy on cold dry roads but excellent in snow and ice. I like those wheels, too.

Cars
      09-16-2020 03:57 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Uncle JB,

Those look the business! I've run Firestone Winterforce on multiple cars, front and rear-wheel drive (unstudded), and was always happy with them. A bit squishy on cold dry roads but excellent in snow and ice. I like those wheels, too.
      Thanks man - I actually was hoping for the Sparcos after I sent you that link, but my car is 5x112 and they only had white in 16". I've been happy with the 18's I bought from BK and these seem just as nice for the money. Let it snow!

Cars
      RS3, TTRS
      09-16-2020 04:16 PM #68
      3 of them shipped from one warehouse yesterday, then 10 minutes later the 4th one's email showed up. So they have shipped. and I should have them tomorrow!

But here you are!

As someone who works in an industry where its normally "if its too good to be true" when I find that, I try to find every avenue that I can get hurt. I still cant find it with these (other than they are 35 sized sidewall versus the recommended 40)
      that's an insane price dude ... nice find. Now what for wheels or you using the stock ones?
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      09-16-2020 04:17 PM #69

But here you are!

Nice

At my old job we used to sell tires on Amazon for a while. One tire was called the Toyo Proxes 4. So the heading was something like 'Toyo Proxes 4 Tire'. In the first week we must have got twenty orders for one unit, people thinking it was four tires .

21. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      09-16-2020 04:20 PM #70
      Love that someone scored a deal because of this thread. Actually I got my winter tires thanks to a thread in TCL that let people know of an unusually huge discounttire sale.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

22. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      09-16-2020 04:34 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by SCHWAB0 View Post
      that's an insane price dude ... nice find. Now what for wheels or you using the stock ones?
      Working that out. I found some '16 RS7 take offs that may work. The biggest issue is the +19 offset on the stock 21/22s. So unless I drop 4k on some CH-Rs which, for a winter set up is asinine, I will have to run spacers (which I am normally super opposed to) but there are not a lot of 21'' options to begin with.

I am trying to piece together a set so I dont have to spend 4-5k through parts. I realize that would be the best and easiest thing to do, but **** that.

Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-16-2020 05:51 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      My tires are considered sporty now, I think I’m gonna cry 😂
      "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."

24. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      09-16-2020 06:22 PM #73

I ran these for years in our winters in Chicago and never had any issues. Yes, they are all seasons, but man they out performed any allseason we had on any other car.

25. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-16-2020 07:51 PM #74
      I ran these for years in our winters in Chicago and never had any issues. Yes, they are all seasons, but man they out performed any allseason we had on any other car.
      The g4 was introduced like 2 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

26. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      09-16-2020 08:05 PM #75
      The g4 was introduced like 2 years ago

WRG3s then. I would imagine that they are just the previous gens?

Regardless, semantics.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast