Fourtitude.com - On FIRE at 150MPH with NO BRAKES!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      08-31-2020 12:29 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      At 150mph, you could easily roll the car or spin from a light touch on a wall. You see it in racing crashes, and those are with barriers designed for those sorts of speeds. Being on fire is bad, but being on fire in a car rolling over at 150mph is worse.
      At those kinds of speeds you scrub velocity off very rapidly. When he was crying that he couldn't stop he was already down to 70, then 60. At that point it's better to touch the wall than keep feeding a growing fire directly in front of you with 60 mph air.

I'm glad he lost his death trap of a car, but his mom is going to be pissed.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      08-31-2020 12:33 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      I'm surprised the emergency brake didn't work, though. Maybe the car doesn't let the driver apply it while the car is moving?
      Because it's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      08-31-2020 12:41 PM #53
      Overfunded pity GoFundMe pops up to rebuild his car in 3...2...1......
      ಠ_ಠ

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-31-2020 12:48 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Overfunded pity GoFundMe pops up to rebuild his car in 3...2...1......
      please no.
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Cars
      '06 Evo Mr, '18 Accord Sport
      08-31-2020 01:07 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      but why
      I've swapped calipers. You save what, a minute by not having to bleed the brakes?
      Its easier all around preping a car, with the mess and opening the lines inducing air. Some cars are easier than others to bleed.
      For the track event you bleed the fluid out anyway to replace with freshness. If you're a rock star you bench bleed the calipers but I doubt he was going to do that.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      08-31-2020 01:09 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Because it's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake.
      It's both. It absolutely works when the car is moving, the guy just didn't educate himself on how to use it... Or is was disabled.

8. Member
      08-31-2020 01:16 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      It's both. It absolutely works when the car is moving, the guy just didn't educate himself on how to use it... Or is was disabled.
      yeah..im surprised this guy has made it this far in life honestly. How is he not already dead?
      Last edited by badsmell; 08-31-2020 at 01:19 PM.

9. Member
      08-31-2020 01:19 PM #58
      Yeah, I just read the owners manual and it's supposed to work for emergency stopping too although it does say that it activates the hydraulic braking system at all 4 wheels so it almost sounds like there is not a separate system. But it says you can use it if the normal brakes are malfunctioning or disabled

Cars
      08-31-2020 01:21 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by badsmell View Post
      yeah..im surprised this guy has made it this far in life honestly. How is he not already dead?
      VW probably works the same, in an Audi you can pull it in motion and it just slows the car down quickly. Doesn't lock up the wheels though.
      ಠ_ಠ

11. Member
      08-31-2020 01:21 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      Yeah, I just read the owners manual and it's supposed to work for emergency stopping too although it does say that it activates the hydraulic braking system at all 4 wheels so it almost sounds like there is not a separate system. But it says you can use it if the normal brakes are malfunctioning or disabled
      Yeah the digital brakes freak me out. I actually just spend the last 3 min scanning you tube videos on the subject and vehicles from vettes to golf r's all have functioning electronic parking brakes at speed granted its not like slamming on the brakes.

12. Member
      08-31-2020 01:44 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      That would defeat the purpose of using it in an emergency situation when the hydraulic brakes have failed. I thought a separate braking system was required for the emergency/parking brake, maybe they just use the hydraulic system in addition to the standard separate system to brake all 4 wheels when possible?
      20 BMW M2 CS
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i

13. Member
      Cars
      2019 Audi SQ5
      08-31-2020 02:27 PM #62
      In my VW/Audi experience, when you pull the electronic e-brake it feels like it applies all 4 brakes (hard) just like if you were hitting the brake pedal. So if the brakes failed, it seems like the e-brake would not work either.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      08-31-2020 02:42 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Veedubya View Post
      In my VW/Audi experience, when you pull the electronic e-brake it feels like it applies all 4 brakes (hard) just like if you were hitting the brake pedal. So if the brakes failed, it seems like the e-brake would not work either.
      I don't even think it's legal to sell a car that way

15. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      08-31-2020 02:43 PM #64
      Hum, ok.

audihelp.com/auda-53-electro_mechanical_parking_brake.html

Quote Originally Posted by Emergency braking function
      This feature enables you to stop the vehicle if the main brake system should fail or if the pedal is obstructed.

Ц Pull out and hold the parking brake switch to stop the vehicle with the parking brake in an emergency.
      Ц The brakes will be released immediately if you release the switch or press down the accelerator.

If you pull out and hold the parking brake switch at a road speed above about 8 km/h, this will initiate an emergency brake application. The brakes are then applied hydraulically at all four wheels. The effect is the same as an emergency stop (full brake application) ⇒Audi A4: Electro-mechanical parking brake. To prevent the emergency braking function from being used accidentally, a warning

To prevent the emergency braking function from being used accidentally, a warning buzzer sounds when the switch is operated. The brakes are released immediately when you release the switch or press down the accelerator.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

16. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-31-2020 03:10 PM #65
      If you pull out and hold the parking brake switch at a road speed above about 8 km/h, this will initiate an emergency brake application. The brakes are then applied hydraulically at all four wheels.
      That explains why the e-brake didn't work since the car lost all hydraulic pressure thanks to that stupid brake line quick disconnect.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Cars
      S60.
      08-31-2020 03:20 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      This is amazing.

The guy was wearing an IROZ shirt, and from the way he was acting, I am betting that he put $25k+ into the engine in that RS3 -- especially given that he was apparently pulling on a 720S. I bet he has no insurance on the mods. So he was basically thinking "**** **** **** I have a $35k engine that will be destroyed."

He should have but the transmission into manual mode and downshifted like crazy. Once he got down to ~45mph, it was time to nose the car into the sidewall barrier to bring it to a stop. Obviously not everyone thinks clearly in these situations, but come on, the guy seemed super calm.

And then idiot who jumps out with a fire extinguisher and puts his head ~2 feet from the fire. Holy shift, if the car blew up, he would have been toast. In that situation you ditch the car and call the fire department. It's just a damn car.
      There were a ton of poor decisions made here. Yeah it’s easy to judge when you’re just watching a video, but pretty much every person involved in that video needs to evaluate how they reacted, and what almost got them killed.
      It’s alive!!!

http://vintageuro.com

Stories, podcasts, and pics of all the good things

18. Member
      08-31-2020 03:24 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      That explains why the e-brake didn't work since the car lost all hydraulic pressure thanks to that stupid brake line quick disconnect.
      That has to be in addition to the standard electro-mechanical parking brake. You have to use VCDS to retract the parking brake when you do the rear pads. It may use the same pads but it isn't only hydraulic, that defeats the entire purpose of having a secondary braking system.
      20 BMW M2 CS
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i

19. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-31-2020 03:38 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      That has to be in addition to the standard electro-mechanical parking brake. You have to use VCDS to retract the parking brake when you do the rear pads. It may use the same pads but it isn't only hydraulic, that defeats the entire purpose of having a secondary braking system.
      So the e-brake is on a hydraulic system that's independent of the primary braking system? Would be interesting to confirm. If true then yes the driver failed to hold the e-brake to activate the emergency stopping program. To be fair I bet most people don't know that's how it's supposed to work...I know I didn't..actually want to go test this later today.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      08-31-2020 03:54 PM #69
      So the e-brake is on a hydraulic system that's independent of the primary braking system? Would be interesting to confirm. If true then yes the driver failed to hold the e-brake to activate the emergency stopping program. To be fair I bet most people don't know that's how it's supposed to work...I know I didn't..actually want to go test this later today.
      Sigh

The e-brake is an electric motor (two, actually) that spins out a piston to hold the rotor. It's just like a traditional e-brake but activated by an electronic motor (one on each side) rather than a cable. There is no way is it totally reliant on the hydraulic system to stop the car when moving, as this would be insane and as I have mentioned twice now does not meet DOT regulation. It does not need hydraulic pressure to work as a parking brake when the vehicle is stationary.

21. Member
      08-31-2020 03:55 PM #70
      My guess is the e-brake has a traditional cable that goes to the rear calipers only used for parking, but if the system detects it's being used in an emergency (by holding it up while the car is moving), it activates the hydraulic braking system.
      Current: 2007 Mazda MX5 5MT | 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT | 1991 Toyota Pickup 5MT
      Previous: 1989 Volvo 240 5MT | 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 5MT | 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE 5MT | 1996 Subaru Outback 5MT | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT | 1986 Toyota MR2 5MT

22. Member
      Cars
      '97 Jetta VR6, '04 TR R32, '16 Oryx R
      08-31-2020 03:56 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Quick disconnect brake line
      I believe he changes out to smaller calipers and rotors to fit drag slicks and wheels when doing 1/4 mile racing. It's an 8 sec car so that's the reason also for the parachute out back.

Some of you need to watch the video again or for the first time to see what was happening when and at what speed. I'd be hard pressed to put a car into a wall if you're having some smoke start to entire the cabin. I would definitely put it against one though if the fireball was as big as it was once the car came to a stop.
      Last edited by shinnersvr6; 08-31-2020 at 04:03 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      You can't see your engine bay while you drive, and popping your hood in a parking lot to show off parts is as stupid as listing them in your signature.. (not what the parts were intended for).

23. Member
      Cars
      2019 Cherokee Limited, 2016 Charger R/T, 2018 Pacifica Limited, 2001 Jetta VR6 5MT
      08-31-2020 04:01 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      This is amazing.

The guy was wearing an IROZ shirt, and from the way he was acting, I am betting that he put $25k+ into the engine in that RS3 -- especially given that he was apparently pulling on a 720S. I bet he has no insurance on the mods. So he was basically thinking "**** **** **** I have a $35k engine that will be destroyed."

He should have but the transmission into manual mode and downshifted like crazy. Once he got down to ~45mph, it was time to nose the car into the sidewall barrier to bring it to a stop. Obviously not everyone thinks clearly in these situations, but come on, the guy seemed super calm.

And then idiot who jumps out with a fire extinguisher and puts his head ~2 feet from the fire. Holy shift, if the car blew up, he would have been toast. In that situation you ditch the car and call the fire department. It's just a damn car.
      He mentioned in the video he had absolutely zero control of the transmission. Also, if I was the passenger, and the driver starts running the passenger side into the guardrail to slow down, I'm def grabbing the wheel and steering the other way. Thats a good way to get yourself trapped in a car THAT IS ON FIRE.

Cars
      08-31-2020 04:06 PM #73
      Sigh

The e-brake is an electric motor (two, actually) that spins out a piston to hold the rotor. It's just like a traditional e-brake but activated by an electronic motor (one on each side) rather than a cable. There is no way is it totally reliant on the hydraulic system to stop the car when moving, as this would be insane and as I have mentioned twice now does not meet DOT regulation. It does not need hydraulic pressure to work as a parking brake when the vehicle is stationary.
      Here you go. Picture worth 1000 words and all that

ಠ_ಠ

Cars
      '06 Evo Mr, '18 Accord Sport
      08-31-2020 04:39 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Here you go. Picture worth 1000 words and all that

I will tell you a secret, the e-brake stop for a parking electric caliper first will use the hydraulic pressure from the VSA modulator. (when vehicle is stopped, it acts as designed for parking without hydro pressure)
      Only if that system is failed or the ABS system has failed will it actuate the electric motor on the caliper, by FMVSS135 regulation it will only provide a 0.2G decel which is more than nothing no doubt, but not very much at all.

I just watched the video, had to find it on my phone because I was at work.
      Judging by how they were driving the brakes did not cause the ignition of the fire. It takes an extremely hot rotor to combust brake fluid, likely it was the exhaust if it was even the brake fluid which caught fire in the first place. There would be several reasons why a fire could cause loss of brakes.
      The second thing, when the car was slowed down enough for his buddy to pull up next to him and told him he had no brakes, its crazy to think you wouldn't get your vehicle in front of him to help him stop as you can clearly see the car is on fire with two of your buds in it.
      Third thing, they are pretty lucky it didn't have a catastrophic explosion how close they were to the car for long period of time, it was on fire BIG time after a while and knowing it had a nitrous cylinder in the car on top of a gas tank. Not that nitrous is flammable, but its a compressed gas in a tank, I wouldn't want to be around it.
      Last edited by GTijoejoe; 08-31-2020 at 04:42 PM.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      08-31-2020 04:44 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      I will tell you a secret, the e-brake stop for a parking electric caliper first will use the hydraulic pressure from the VSA modulator. (when vehicle is stopped, it acts as designed for parking without hydro pressure)
      Only if that system is failed or the ABS system has failed will it actuate the electric motor on the caliper, by FMVSS135 regulation it will only provide a 0.2G decel which is more than nothing no doubt, but not very much at all.
      I kinda thought this was obvious but reading back it doesn't look like anyone went so far as to actually say that's how it worked

Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      Third thing, they are pretty lucky it didn't have a catastrophic explosion how close they were to the car for long period of time, it was on fire BIG time after a while and knowing it had a nitrous cylinder in the car on top of a gas tank. Not that nitrous is flammable, but its a compressed gas in a tank, I wouldn't want to be around it.

Like a BBQ tank the bottle has a pressure blowoff, but yes absolutely I wouldn't hang around. I also thought it was weak they didn't inform the firefighters of the bottle.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast