Fourtitude.com - On FIRE at 150MPH with NO BRAKES!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Cars
      Danger Ranger
      08-31-2020 10:21 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Exactly.. that would be the hope. Not entirely sure that would have been caught at the track. Also, having emergency vehicles around in a controlled environment would have increased his chance of not having a carbeque.
      It would be interesting to know if a track inspection would even look that close, I'm guessing no...

What came to mind when I saw this video was if the guy was smart enough to have this car insured properly? However, I would guess that he has financed his $70k sedan, credit carded his $15 IROZ engine with regular insurance...but that's just my cynical take...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '06 Evo Mr, '18 Accord Sport
      08-31-2020 10:35 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Quick disconnect brake line
      they are actually a real thing professionally used in racing.
      (Some vehicles mount the caliper in a position where it can't be bled on car)
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-31-2020 10:39 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      I don't really think the issue was the quick disconnect brake line, I think it was more the idiot who installed the quick disconnect brake line. They use quick disconnect couplings on all sorts of heavy machinery with way higher hydraulic pressure than a car's brake lines.
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      08-31-2020 10:39 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      I can't help but think that the driver cared more about his car than his and his passengers life... It's a wide ass highway and no traffic and he's just coasting downhill in neutral doing nothing to try and stop.
      At some point you just grind up against a guard rail and get it stopped or something
      hard to get out of one side of the car then.
      I think the best thing to do would be to jam it into R or P, then jump out ASAP.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      08-31-2020 10:40 AM #30
      I can't think of any reason why you'd use them for a street car, and it doesn't sound like he used one designed for brake lines- just a random industrial fitting.

7. Member
      08-31-2020 10:44 AM #31
      I was going to post this a few days back but didn't bother as I was on my phone. Definitely some crazy/scary stuff. The ironic sticker was the best part. This is the first I'm hearing about the quick connect brake lines though.

My first though was don't most modern vehicles (especially a performance Audi) have a divided master cylinder so that one set of wheels can still stop if the other fails? How do you lose front, rear, and E brake all at once? He would have had to have lost the rears first while racing and not noticed, then lost the fronts. But how do you not get a dash warning and then how does the E-brake fail too?

Cars
      08-31-2020 10:48 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      I was going to post this a few days back but didn't bother as I was on my phone. Definitely some crazy/scary stuff. The ironic sticker was the best part. This is the first I'm hearing about the quick connect brake lines though.

My first though was don't most modern vehicles (especially a performance Audi) have a divided master cylinder so that one set of wheels can still stop if the other fails? How do you lose front, rear, and E brake all at once? He would have had to have lost the rears first while racing and not noticed, then lost the fronts. But how do you not get a dash warning and then how does the E-brake fail too?
      Most E-brakes aren't going to work at 150 miles an hour, and even if they did, you lock your rear only brakes at that speed and you are going to insta-spin.

9. Member
      08-31-2020 10:52 AM #33
      Most E-brakes aren't going to work at 150 miles an hour, and even if they did, you lock your rear only brakes at that speed and you are going to insta-spin.
      but I thought that was whole point of an E brake. I'm guessing the RS3 has an electric one but it still should be able to apply it gently enough to not lock the wheels. Why even have it then if it's a glorified 2nd "park" on a car that's already AWD so Park would in theory lock all 4 wheels. What do you do if you're not street racing and lose brakes at 70MPH on the interstate?

Cars
      08-31-2020 10:56 AM #34
      but I thought that was whole point of an E brake. I'm guessing the RS3 has an electric one but it still should be able to apply it gently enough to not lock the wheels. Why even have it then if it's a glorified 2nd "park" on a car that's already AWD so Park would in theory lock all 4 wheels. What do you do if you're not street racing and lose brakes at 70MPH on the interstate?
      You try to slow down with the transmission. I imagine electronic e-brakes are tied into the abs and stability control systems and may be able to slow the car from speed. But the old hand-operated e-brakes were likely not going to help you at 70mph.

11. Member
      08-31-2020 11:01 AM #35
      I'm guessing he didn't apply it correctly because it didn't look like the electrical system had failed when he said it wasn't working. You have to pull it up and continue to hold it before it will apply when you're moving and it will release as soon as you stop holding it up.
      20 BMW M2 CS
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-31-2020 11:16 AM #36
      The whole point of the PARKING brake is that you set it while parked so your car doesn't roll away.
      With this guys car, who knows how he has the brakes and parking brake setup... He probably did a parking brake delete for all I know. On most any modern car even if you detached a brake line you should still be able to stop the car due to the master cylinder design standards requiring it to have 2 hydraulic circuits...

Cars
      '06 Evo Mr, '18 Accord Sport
      08-31-2020 11:29 AM #37
      I can't think of any reason why you'd use them for a street car, and it doesn't sound like he used one designed for brake lines- just a random industrial fitting.
      clearly because he's a racer

OK misinterpretation, "home made" quick disconnect brake lines

Unless he literally raced the car. I knew of someone who had two set's of calipers (friction), disks, and wheels for track and street for their M-coupe.
      He was interested in quick disconnect.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      08-31-2020 11:32 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      I'm guessing he didn't apply it correctly because it didn't look like the electrical system had failed when he said it wasn't working. You have to pull it up and continue to hold it before it will apply when you're moving and it will release as soon as you stop holding it up.
      Correct. Either this guy doesn't know what he's doing or the car was modified in some way that disabled the ebrake.

15. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Cars
      GTI Sport 6M
      08-31-2020 11:36 AM #39

Well that's new to me.

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-31-2020 11:37 AM #40
      clearly because he's a racer

OK misinterpretation, "home made" quick disconnect brake lines

Unless he literally raced the car. I knew of someone who had two set's of calipers (friction), disks, and wheels for track and street for their M-coupe.
      He was interested in quick disconnect.
      but why
      I've swapped calipers. You save what, a minute by not having to bleed the brakes?

17. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-31-2020 11:40 AM #41
      One would hope a track tech inspection would have booted him before he even started over the brake line situation .
      That's a 50/50 chance.....

And elite.mafia.... there's a big difference between reporting and glorifying. 1320 is trashy street racing propaganda.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Cars
      08-31-2020 11:48 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post

Well that's new to me.
      I'm guessing he used something more like this:

The race quick disconnect has a positive connection that you can visually verify is fully seated and tight. The industrial style can be partially seated and the only indication it is fully connected is feel when you connect it.

Cars
      08-31-2020 11:50 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      but why
      I've swapped calipers. You save what, a minute by not having to bleed the brakes?
      Brake bleeding can be a royal pain on a race dual master cylinder setup. It's a 3 man job because you need to bleed front and rear simultaneously- I've not been able to get all the air out of my dual master setup with any common solo bleeding methods.

Also, a few minutes could be a big deal if you are in the pits in an endurance race with a bad caliper.

Cars
      Tercel - e90335i - ZX6R
      08-31-2020 11:53 AM #44
      I would have just scraped the wall until it came to a stop. Who cares about the car, I dont want to die in a fire.

21. Member
      Cars
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      08-31-2020 11:59 AM #45
      That Audi have a drag chute on the back?

Hate these guys with a passion. Houston has a huge problem with these guys (street racing or speed runs) not to mention the new take-over crews with their dirt bikes, ATVs, and Dodge products.

22. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      2018 F150
      08-31-2020 12:00 PM #46
      This looks like insurance fraud.
      I've seen it before.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Cars
      08-31-2020 12:02 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by hrama803 View Post
      I would have just scraped the wall until it came to a stop. Who cares about the car, I dont want to die in a fire.
      At 150mph, you could easily roll the car or spin from a light touch on a wall. You see it in racing crashes, and those are with barriers designed for those sorts of speeds. Being on fire is bad, but being on fire in a car rolling over at 150mph is worse.

24. Member
      08-31-2020 12:12 PM #48
      I'm not sure if I can really blame the guy for not wanting to rub up against a wall to stop the car. It's probably scary enough driving a car on fire. Adding a crash (an intentional one, too, at that) would make it seem even worse in the moment. Plus, if they just rode a guardrail to stop the car, one person would be stuck in a burning car, having to wait for the other person to get out and then climb over the center console to jump out the other side.

I'm surprised the emergency brake didn't work, though. Maybe the car doesn't let the driver apply it while the car is moving? Either way, that wouldn't have happened with a traditional e-brake and would have been pretty effective at slowing them down from 50 mph.
      Current: 2007 Mazda MX5 5MT | 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT | 1991 Toyota Pickup 5MT
      Previous: 1989 Volvo 240 5MT | 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 5MT | 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE 5MT | 1996 Subaru Outback 5MT | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT | 1986 Toyota MR2 5MT

Cars
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      08-31-2020 12:15 PM #49
      This is amazing.

The guy was wearing an IROZ shirt, and from the way he was acting, I am betting that he put $25k+ into the engine in that RS3 -- especially given that he was apparently pulling on a 720S. I bet he has no insurance on the mods. So he was basically thinking "**** **** **** I have a $35k engine that will be destroyed."

He should have but the transmission into manual mode and downshifted like crazy. Once he got down to ~45mph, it was time to nose the car into the sidewall barrier to bring it to a stop. Obviously not everyone thinks clearly in these situations, but come on, the guy seemed super calm.

And then idiot who jumps out with a fire extinguisher and puts his head ~2 feet from the fire. Holy shift, if the car blew up, he would have been toast. In that situation you ditch the car and call the fire department. It's just a damn car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time

26. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-31-2020 12:17 PM #50
      What a perfect analogy for 2020.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast