VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

New South Pod and Oil Pressure Gauge

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  kgw 
#1 ·
Email from USP on a current sale they are having; always wanted the comfort of an oil pressure guage...On sale was a New South steering column pod, and I picked up the New South oil pressure gauge kit with it:

At this point, it's a dummy install to see how it fits, etc. I'm going to run the cables down the steering column soon.

See less See more
#2 ·
It nice to have an oil pressure gauge, but difficult to find one close to discreet and OEM look/feel. This one looks like it fits in your field of view.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Schimmel oil filter housing should be here next Wednesday, then I can start putting things together :cool:

I've already got the Mocal thermoplate and a 19 row Setrab oil cooler I put in when the Schrick cams were installed.

#4 ·
Interruption! Life says "study harder, dude!" After thieves hit our hood, leaving my wife's 2004 Accord and a neighbor's Prius, catalytic-less...I replaced everything but the manifold, but did not look close enough at the converter details. Yesterday it failed the smog test! *&%%#@$$ Even though the one I purchased said CARB certified, the fine print says not for this particular engine! :mad:

So, I paid the registration fee to gain about 2 months before ticketing starts. I may just install my VR6 stuff first anyway. To maintain my cool..."Yeah, baby, but I was cool!

Wish me luck :cool:

#5 ·
Finally...Drained the oil today, and removed the bumper. Tomorrow I'll put the front end in service position: hopefully I can get all the oil housing fasteners off without draining and disconnection of the cooling system. After seeing how close the Setrab oil cooler was to the AC/Radiator systems, I am going to aim for more distance, like 1 1/2".I didn't plan to do this now, so I'm hoping I can use the oil coolers existing hoses.

#6 ·
After moving the oil cooler around, and test-fitting the bumper, I should be able to use the existing hoses after transferring the Mocal thermoplate to the Schimmel oil housing.

Now I'll put front end in service position to remove the factory oil housing, and install the Schimmel housing...Right in the midst of a another heat wave! At least I have some shade. :cool:

#7 ·

Decided to be able to see what I was doing ;), so I drained the coolant in order to disconnect the radiator hoses. Followed by the fan disconnects, headlights, a few sensors (outside air, coolant, etc.).

So here the front is in close to "extreme service position," about as far as I could go without disconnecting the air conditioning. I've seen Mk IV's (with front tires still on the ground) with it laying on the ground! But even as conservative as I did it, I had more than enough room to see, and reach, to easily disconnect the oem oil housing. I was able to achieve minimum bluing of the air! :D

The oem housing is out...I removed the Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate and was not happy at the conditon of the rubber gasket that has to seal against the Schimmel oil housing :mad: So I am trying to source either a new one, or something which will do the trick. I don't want to do this twice...If I didn't have other wheels, I would have to just install the Schimmel housing and filter while I search for a new Mocal seal: bad, very bad! To be continued...

#8 ·
The Mocal adapter w/gasket arrived today...:thumbup: So the SP oil housing is in :thumbup::thumbup:

The Mahle spin-on filter will have to wait while I carve up a bracket (seen in the lower right) to gain some clearance.

#9 ·
I removed the Secondary Air Pump bracket: its extension to the oil pan was in the way of the oil filter...

The extension that bolts to the oil pan is getting cut off; there is still 1 bolt higher up that attaches the air pump to the block, and I will strap it where possible. The air pump is not heavy at all.
Time to reassemble the coolant hoses, and attach the Setrab oil cooler :thumbup:

#10 · (Edited)
The oil pressure senders interfere with each other if directly installed, so today some fittings are coming to allow me to work around this. Keeping the old sender will keep the instrument panel happier :peace:
I did just get the oil pressure wired up, using the headlight switch
(10-pin connector)

Switched 12v is position 4
Dimmer is position 10
Ground is position 6

This is on my 2006 A3 3.2l, wire colors may vary depending on model and year.

#11 ·
It's all downhill now ;)

After lunch, I will attempt to connect all the connectors, get the cooling system together, and put the front end together (minus the finish bumper). I'm being pulled off for some r & r.

When I return, I'll re-install the Setrab oil cooler on the hard bumper, put the finish bumper on, and take a drive...Almost sounds relaxing, eh?

#13 · (Edited)
I gained much more separation from the AC condenser than the original installation...:confused: Now, the oil cooler is 2" away at the top, and 1 1/2" at the bottom :cool:

Filled it with Addinol 5/40 synthetic, and coolant, and started the engine...I had dripping coming off one of the oil pressure senders, but a few more turns on it stopped the dripping. Burping the coolant system took 2 cycles of reaching 180 degrees. It could have been done with one, but I did'nt have the patience:p The last cycle the fans slowed down and the temp dropped to 220 from 250. So I put the pressure cap back on the ball, and in 5 minutes the ball was empty, so I quickly filled it to the halfway point, let it burp for another 5 minutes or so, and put the cap back on and drove to the market to get coffee, without incident. The level in the ball was perfect when I returned home. Having the VAD Mobile system was really appreciated during this process: I could see the actual temp while the process was underway.

At cold start, the new gauge showed the oil pressure to be 60 psi, and by the time the engine was warmed up (when the thermostats open up at 180) the oil pressure was 20 psi.

Before I put the soft bumper back on, I took the opportunity and finally installed an old Oettinger grill I got from a forum member years ago:

I like it! Great to be back in the A3, on the road :cool:

#14 ·
OK, having fun driving around in my 14-year old ride!! All is well, temps are good, and the late-to-be-installed Oettinger grill is a pleasure to behold :p

The oil pressure gauge is working as it should, and the new oil housing and the Mahle spin-on filter provides oil at an earlier time than the oem filter did...Due to an improved, anti-drain back valve.

Hope all of you are doing well this season, despite the sudden ups and downs appearing...;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.