Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Cars
      2016 Golf R
      08-11-2020 12:17 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      I'm going to be the odd man out here and say a new vehicle is not going to cure your sciatica. I mean, if you want to buy a new vehicle by all means do so, but it's not the cure. I dealt with sciatica last year for almost 3 months, and I know the pain, it's miserable. I did all kinds of things including dietary changes, trips to the chiropractor, you name it. Finally it was suggested to me to get a deep tissue massage. Let me tell you, it fixed it.....it was a very painful massage, where I was sore for several days after, but it worked and I haven't had a single issue with it since. Again, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new vehicle I get it, but before you go plop down $60K, make some calls, find the right person who specializes in sciatica and go get this massage done, i'm telling you it works.
      This...
      I also had Sciatica episode that lasted 2-3 months. Chiro was of no help, yoga and various exercised did nothing for me. I finally decided to pay for quality Physical Therapy, and on my 3rd visit to PT, he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since. its been 3-4 years now.

But if you are set on getting a new car, my GF has 2010 Range Rover, and seat is elevated enough where my hips and knees are inline.
      Alternatively, if your car has ample head room, you can put down pillow(s) on the seat to elevate your hips.

I am sorry about the pain, i know how miserable you must feel.
      Sarajevo, Horde Zla, Bog i Carsija

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      08-11-2020 01:10 PM #27
      Volvo has good seats.

GM or Ford anything are terrible.

Higher trim RAM trucks with the air suspension are nice and have great seats. Compared to Lincoln or Cadillac anything.
      Chrysler Pacifica and Mitsibishi Outlander with the higher trims have excellent seats.

You can also take door #2 and have your current car's seat professionally reupholstered and put memory foam or whatever you'd like in and it isn't terrible expensive.

4. Member
      Cars
      2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
      08-11-2020 01:14 PM #28
      We just jumped from a 2017 Outback to a 2020 Ascent and the seating is definitely more upright.

5. Semi-n00b
      08-11-2020 02:12 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      This...
      ... he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since.
      I'm debating if this should be my signature.

A lot of great suggestions. I'll definitely check out the Volvos. We looked at the XC40 in January when we were shopping for my wife's next car. It's nice, but too small for me. I like a little more room for comfort and hauling random stuff.

I may have to swallow my pride and look at the Pacifica, too. It's all about the comfort at this point.

Alex on Autos always has a segment in each review where he sits in the front seat...you can see where the hip point to knee ratio is (based on how he set the seat). I've been looking through his videos and the F150 looks pretty flat. The Highlander looks pretty chair-like, too, so I'll check that one out (thanks for the suggestion). Atlas is pretty similar.. that's another good suggestion.

And lots of good pain suggestions. I've been dealing with back pain for over 20 years off and on. I've never had it this bad down my leg (herniated disc in L5, S1) and at this point I'm doing all I can to get it under control and prevent it from recurring in the future. A better car seat is part of that since I need to take some cross-country trips. It's just cool that a new car will come with the seat. lol. Over the years I've tried chiropractor, physical therapy, massage, acupuncture, cupping, Pilates, yoga, etc....pretty much everything short of surgery. I just don't want to go there.

6. Semi-n00b
      08-11-2020 02:14 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Which trim level Outback do you have? My 2012 Limited had a tilting seat bottom so you could raise the overall height of the seat but then tilt the seat bottom down toward the pedals and that sucker could bring the front of the seat cushion down crazy low, enough to make me slide out of it. Given your price range I'm guessing you are in a Limited or Touring and have those seats, so did they remove the feature or are you just too damn tall?
      I have the 2018 Touring.

Cars
      2015 Golf R Oryx
      08-11-2020 02:20 PM #31
      Seating position is just as important as good seats. You need to be in an upright "truckers" seating position for long trips and you need to go to PT and focus on core strength. I cant speak to any more advice on care without more information but i can assure you that what I said will help. If you've already done PT (and not just the PT the surgeon sends you to, good spine focused PT) then I don't really have any more advice than to wish you well and get many opinions before doing any surgical intervention.
      2020 GTI Autobahn - Pure White - DSG
      Totaled - 2015 R - DCC/DSG - APR Stg II (93HO) + TCU tune - all the goodies

8. Member
      Cars
      2020 A5 Sportback
      08-11-2020 02:32 PM #32
      The only thing that comes to mind with seating position like that would be a VW Eurovan.

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      08-11-2020 02:40 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Veedubya View Post
      The only thing that comes to mind with seating position like that would be a VW Eurovan.
      My sister has one - I thought about it, but it has had so many problems (one of the techs at their mechanic rage quit his job in the middle of doing the head gasket, lol).

I thought about the smallest Transit or Sprinter but figured it might not be the best to drive day in day out. But the Transit looks pretty much perfect, and the XLT has optional 10-way seats.

Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

10. Semi-n00b
      08-11-2020 03:43 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
      Seating position is just as important as good seats. You need to be in an upright "truckers" seating position for long trips and you need to go to PT and focus on core strength. I cant speak to any more advice on care without more information but i can assure you that what I said will help. If you've already done PT (and not just the PT the surgeon sends you to, good spine focused PT) then I don't really have any more advice than to wish you well and get many opinions before doing any surgical intervention.
      Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I agree completely and I am exploring PT options other than the one my orthopedic surgeon sent me to. And you're absolutely right about the "truckers" seating position. That's the goal (with enough headroom).

Cars
      Audi e-Tron, BMW X2 M35i, and a Toyota appiiance
      08-11-2020 03:47 PM #35
      Volvo XC90. Them seats are like butter (and supa comfortable).

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

12. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      08-11-2020 03:55 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      My sister has one - I thought about it, but it has had so many problems (one of the techs at their mechanic rage quit his job in the middle of doing the head gasket, lol).
      Everything went to hell when VW started using head gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I thought about the smallest Transit or Sprinter but figured it might not be the best to drive day in day out. But the Transit looks pretty much perfect, and the XLT has optional 10-way seats.
      They drive much better than you'd think, but I can't imagine they'd stand up next to cars like the Volvo and whatnot. It's almost hard to believe they come from the same company that was peddling Econoline vans recently. (Yes, I know they still make a cab-and-chassis version.)
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      RS3, TTRS, R32
      08-11-2020 04:10 PM #37
      OP something domestic, seriuously ... Caddy, Lincoln or Buick ... nothing touches the interior comfort of an American seat ...
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Cars
      RS3, TTRS, R32
      08-11-2020 04:13 PM #38
      This...
      I also had Sciatica episode that lasted 2-3 months. Chiro was of no help, yoga and various exercised did nothing for me. I finally decided to pay for quality Physical Therapy, and on my 3rd visit to PT, he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since. its been 3-4 years now.

But if you are set on getting a new car, my GF has 2010 Range Rover, and seat is elevated enough where my hips and knees are inline.
      Alternatively, if your car has ample head room, you can put down pillow(s) on the seat to elevate your hips.

To zemljace, sigurno od teski poslova .

Oh and forgot ... I had back surgery and it was worth every penny. Had all of the symptoms plus ocassionaly back spasm that would render me worthless for 1-2hrs on the ground. Look into micro-disc-sectomy ... best $40k spent and then you can drive any car you want
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      08-11-2020 06:56 PM #39
      This...

https://thefeed.com/blogs/news/pso-r...lding-you-back

Maybe this'll get peoples attention. Imagine not having to pay a guy to stick his thumb in your ass!

I was going to Broadway Chiropractic in Manhattan to the tune of $400 a visit. I got one of these for Christmas and haven't been back to the chiropractor since. I haven't had a back flare up since. I can walk, run, squat, climb 5 flights of stairs every day, and ride BMX. 5 years ago I couldn't stand long enough to cook a burger.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

16. Member
      08-11-2020 08:20 PM #40
      This...
      he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since. its been 3-4 years now.
      THIS! I totally MF'd this dude for about 5 minutes, and hurt like hell afterwards but have not had pain since...AT ALL.

OP, we are telling you...get to the root of the problem first with the correct kind of treatment, THEN go buy the new car you want so bad and not settling for. I promise you there's no car seat out there that will do what a good deep tissue treatment will for your sciatica.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

17. Semi-n00b
      08-11-2020 09:33 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      OP, we are telling you...get to the root of the problem first with the correct kind of treatment, THEN go buy the new car you want so bad and not settling for. I promise you there's no car seat out there that will do what a good deep tissue treatment will for your sciatica.
      You’re right on. I absolutely need to address the root cause. A couple of you have mentioned the Pso Rite. I’m ordering that thing tonight and will give it a shot. I came in looking for a vehicle, leaving with a Pso Rite. For now. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      08-12-2020 11:16 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by whereami View Post
      You’re right on. I absolutely need to address the root cause. A couple of you have mentioned the Pso Rite. I’m ordering that thing tonight and will give it a shot. I came in looking for a vehicle, leaving with a Pso Rite. For now. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really changed my life. Start using it up against the wall (on your butt) and then eventually move onto laying onto it.

NOTES-
      A. It may take a few tries to get to the right spot, and I warn you it's not what I would call comfortable, releasing these seized up muscles, but when you stand up and don't feel pain, its worth it.

B. One thing I forgot to mention is - It's portable. If you're traveling for work - what are the odds there's a good chiropractor in Bentonville, Arkansas? What are the odds the airline seat you're in will have good lumbar support? I bring it with me on trips because after a night in a hotel bed if I can't move, I lay on it for 20 mins and I'm back in business.

Best of luck to you and if you need any more tips feel free to DM me.
      Last edited by TheDarkEnergist; 08-12-2020 at 11:19 AM.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

19. Member
      Cars
      AR Giulia Ti + JL Wrangler
      08-12-2020 06:33 PM #43
      I have piriformis, which luckily is mostly addressed with stretching. Manual gets me in shooting tingling pain within 15mins, so I empathize.

Hear me out, but the most comfortable thing ive ever sat is a dodge challenger. We also have a JL wrangler and its more comfortable than I thought it would be. I rented a 300 once and did 9 hours straight with little body fatigue..

FCA, for whatever reason with certain cars, nails ergonomics perfectly for my body type. They somehow catch you in a sort of subtle slanted hold, but with perfect thigh support, and the entire driving position takes pressure off your butt and hips but distributes it in a way that doesn't seem to tire my back.

Controls fall perfectly into place without strain or stretching. Its the closest thing ive ever felt to the driving a couch meme. Best of luck finding something.

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      08-12-2020 09:50 PM #44
      And lots of good pain suggestions. I've been dealing with back pain for over 20 years off and on. I've never had it this bad down my leg (herniated disc in L5, S1) and at this point I'm doing all I can to get it under control and prevent it from recurring in the future. A better car seat is part of that since I need to take some cross-country trips. It's just cool that a new car will come with the seat. lol. Over the years I've tried chiropractor, physical therapy, massage, acupuncture, cupping, Pilates, yoga, etc....pretty much everything short of surgery. I just don't want to go there.
      A coworker of mine has the same issue in L5, surgery did absolutely nothing for him.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      08-12-2020 10:51 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      Sit in all the different Volvo models and see if one has the right shape. Volvo still makes some of the most comfortable seats in the business. Maybe a Volvo SUV is the answer.
      this is good advice. my GX460 is crazy comfortable and the cooling/heating option really helps too. I did 10 hours on Saturday and got out with zero pain/bad stiffness.

the only other car that was crazy comfy to me was the Recaro seats in my Evo IX MR. i'm a slim guy and they just fit me and my frame incredibly well. i did 3k miles in less than a week and never had a single complaint.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

22. 08-13-2020 11:03 AM #46
      There's some good advice in this thread, as well as some well-intentioned but bad advice as well.

1 - The thumb in the middle of the butt cheek - the sciatic nerve bisects the piriformis muscle, which is deep to the gluts. Trigger point therapy (which was described in that post) absolutely can help, and I do this often in practice as well. With the limited information I have from this post, I don't believe this to be what's affecting the OP however. He states that he has disc issues at L5/S1, which is going to be superior to the piriformis muscle.

2 - Someone advised surgery, which he may or may not need. I'd set that aside as a last resort. OP, please feel free to PM me, and we can discuss your injury and I could give you suggestions as to what I'd do. I could probably give a recommendation for provider(s) in your area as well.

3 - Someone said they were paying $400 per visit to their Chiro. Holy bejesus that is a ridiculous amount! Please PM me with the name of that practice, I've never heard of someone charging that much out of pocket.

4 - Several people in this thread stated they didn't get any better with chiropractors. I've had this injury myself, and it's been helped significantly with adjustments, though therapies and corrective exercises/stretching are needed as well. If your Chiro isn't doing these things to address your injury, find someone else.

5 - To answer the original question regarding seats. Volvo typically has very comfortable seats, something like a Lexus LS or one of their bigger SUVs would be great options as well. I rented a Navigator a few years back that had awesome seats as well.

23. Member
      Cars
      2020 A5 Sportback
      08-13-2020 11:09 AM #47
      ^ Name checks out.

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      08-13-2020 11:19 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Veedubya View Post
      ^ Name checks out.
      /End Thread.

I had some Sciatica pain before, lots of advice in here I did and I have 0 pain now. It was also sports injury related, but yeah GX460.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      08-13-2020 11:50 AM #49
      Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I agree completely and I am exploring PT options other than the one my orthopedic surgeon sent me to. And you're absolutely right about the "truckers" seating position. That's the goal (with enough headroom).
      Absolutely reach out to this guy and get some impartial advice:

Quote Originally Posted by Chiropractor JW View Post
      There's some good advice in this thread, as well as some well-intentioned but bad advice as well.

1 - The thumb in the middle of the butt cheek - the sciatic nerve bisects the piriformis muscle, which is deep to the gluts. Trigger point therapy (which was described in that post) absolutely can help, and I do this often in practice as well. With the limited information I have from this post, I don't believe this to be what's affecting the OP however. He states that he has disc issues at L5/S1, which is going to be superior to the piriformis muscle.

2 - Someone advised surgery, which he may or may not need. I'd set that aside as a last resort. OP, please feel free to PM me, and we can discuss your injury and I could give you suggestions as to what I'd do. I could probably give a recommendation for provider(s) in your area as well.

3 - Someone said they were paying $400 per visit to their Chiro. Holy bejesus that is a ridiculous amount! Please PM me with the name of that practice, I've never heard of someone charging that much out of pocket.

4 - Several people in this thread stated they didn't get any better with chiropractors. I've had this injury myself, and it's been helped significantly with adjustments, though therapies and corrective exercises/stretching are needed as well. If your Chiro isn't doing these things to address your injury, find someone else.

5 - To answer the original question regarding seats. Volvo typically has very comfortable seats, something like a Lexus LS or one of their bigger SUVs would be great options as well. I rented a Navigator a few years back that had awesome seats as well.
      I'm glad to see you post and be willing to offer advice. I encounter some people with negative opinions of alternative medicine options; for many it's a lack of information or misinformation, but for some they received questionable treatment in the past. With the current corporate medical approach of "short-term PT, long-term painkillers, or surgery" I appreciate having as many options as possible. Everybody needs to learn to be their own advocates and find treatments that work for their bodies and lifestyles.

As someone who lives with the permanent (but reasonably well-managed) effects of a spine injury, thanks.

26. 08-13-2020 12:11 PM #50
      As someone with my fair share of back issues.. this is why I leave the STI at home 95% of the time, and always drive a GX460.

It is as comfortable as it gets, while also being reliable and very capable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast