VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

crankshaft damper

887 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  garryt 
#1 ·
hey guys, I am running a 2.0 3a block with a 1.825 kg crank damper. I have a 1.635 kg damper, so my question is, am I likely to increase crank bearing wear by reducing the mass of the damper???

#2 ·
Some of the engines do not have any dampener. I doubt if the bearings will wear anymore than normal and if there is a difference, I doubt if you could prove it.

From my understanding, the damper dampens the flex of a crank during the power pulses. Kinda like a shock. I know there are some manufactures that use the damper as a counterweight [ie Ford V8] but I do not think VW does it that way. I would think a larger one dampens more or at least at a different frequency.

#3 ·
well the centre sections and the rubber sections are identical on both. the difference is only on the outer diameter. I was using it on the 1.8 for about a year, and there is some visible wear on the crank, but with it being a high mileage anyway, who knows. not sure which engine the smaller pulley came off originally. could have been an early mk1 gti 1.6 or maybe the later mk2 1.6 carb.

#4 ·
It's a leap to say that the wear was caused by the dampener.

If the dampener was out of balance, I can see additional wear from the #1 main journal bearing. Since the dampener is for twisting, I cannot see that it would cause additional wear. I could see that a crank would crack with the wrong dampener.

Just what I think.

#5 ·
the wear on the original crank is very slight, but it's also very even across all journals. so it's probably just high mileage. I was just thinking that maybe the longer throw crank would need the bigger damper. Iv'e fitted it anyway. it's 10% lighter and 6.3% underdrive, so not a huge difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.