Fourtitude.com - Mitsubishi CEO says exiting U.S. market is not an "option", planning to bring a pick-up truck to 'Murica soon...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

View Poll Results: Can Mitsubishi truck save the company in US? Or is this another ISUZU path to FAIL in US?

Voters
    21. You may not vote on this poll
    • Hai! The new pickup truck will bring much profit to C-E-O san!

3 14.29%
    • Nah, this pickup truck is too small, too late, and from Mitsubishi. FAIL

7 33.33%
    • Heck, I'd buy one. Especially if no credit check is required...

4 19.05%
    • Nah, I'd buy another instead...(name one)

3 14.29%
    • Nah, I think Nissan will kick Mitsu out of US soon...

4 19.05%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      Audi e-Tron, BMW X3, and a Toyota appiiance
      08-04-2020 10:20 AM #1

Takao Kato will likely be Mitsubishi Motors' next CEO, pending the approval at an upcoming shareholders' meeting. Under his watch, the company won't abandon its the North American market, according to Kato's recent statements.

"Sales are being continued. North America is one of the biggest markets. Therefore, exiting from the sales market would probably not be an option,"
      he said during a press conference, according to Automotive News.

While Mitsubishi won't stop selling cars in America, he'll likely rework the brand's product line to fit the automaker's "small but beautiful" strategy that will aim for tiny, yet steady profit growth.

"If you are a big-scale OEM, of course you will be able to secure a profit. But will that be appropriate for us too, at MMC?" Kato said, according to Automotive News. "This is something we believe we should deliberate on going forward."

After taking the helm, Kato will release a mid-term business plan for Mitsubishi Motors sometime before the fiscal year ends in April 2020. It'll provide a better idea of what to expect from the company with him as the boss.
      https://www.motor1.com/news/350521/m...ot-leaving-us/

Can Mitsubishi truck save the company in US? Or is this another ISUZU path to FAIL in US?

Although the upcoming Mitsubishi pickup truck to enter the U.S. market hasn’t been named yet, the most resounding name that entered the table is the Triton – also known as the L200 or Strada in other global markets except the U.S. The images above are of the Triton Absolute Concept that was showcased at the Bangkok Motor Show in Thailand.

The Triton is one of the rivals of the Ford Ranger in global markets, especially in the U.K. We reckon, bringing in the Triton in the U.S. would be an exciting rivalry in the budding midsize pickup segment.

But, what about the aging Nissan Frontier? As part of the Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi Alliance, it has been reported that a single platform would underpin the pickup trucks from there three brands, including the Navara, which is the global representative of Nissan in the midsize truck segment.

Will the arrival of the Triton in the U.S. market coincide with the replacement of the Frontier? It isn’t entirely impossible, considering that the next-generation Frontier is now well underway, but it would be an interesting move, nonetheless. The question now is when.
      https://www.motor1.com/news/346853/m...ckup-truck-us/
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 08-04-2020 at 10:26 AM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      08-04-2020 10:28 AM #2
      Really though, why would I not buy a Ranger/Colorado?
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

Cars
      08-04-2020 10:32 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      Well, Mistubishi does really well with subprime customers, for one.

Cars
      08-04-2020 10:44 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      Well, Mistubishi does really well with subprime customers, for one.
      Low MSRP, massive incentives and loyalty cash.. I can get with that. But if not current model year, must be booked as used making a deal very difficult without loads of cash down or huge dealer fee to lender.. correct? Sky high interest rates and horrible depreciation locking sub-prime buyers in a loan they'll be upside down in for quite awhile. All of this not accounting for any negative equity carried over.

Forgive me if I am way off here... the Mitsubishi trucks I work with on occasion are called Fuso's and quite old

chevy x1 (2500hd)

Cars
      08-04-2020 10:50 AM #5
      Forgive me if I am way off here... the Mitsubishi trucks I work with on occasion are called Fuso's and quite old
      No need to apologize. I have a strange fetish with Mitsubishis for some reason. Bit off the subject here, but are Mitsubishi FUSOs pretty reliable?

Cars
      08-04-2020 11:12 AM #6
      No need to apologize. I have a strange fetish with Mitsubishis for some reason. Bit off the subject here, but are Mitsubishi FUSOs pretty reliable?
      Can be...

Long before I got into the scene, my father sold a Fuso to a customer on the grounds that it would be trouble free for the better part of a million miles. Bold statement for a city type box truck. Well, it overheated and needed towed 3X in the first 10k miles. Customer is not happy. Mitsubishi sent an engineer from Japan all the way to West Virginia Ohio Motor Sales in Wheeling WV because the problem could not be solved. As the story goes.. Engineer asked for cheese cloth, to his surprise the commercial truck sales facility did not have cheese cloth. So he took his sock off, pulled a radiator hose and let it drain. The block was full of casting sand. SO! They pulled the serial number from the block and talked to Mitsu HQ, got the 10 serial #'s above and below and sent that very engineer AND the service writer that originally made the claim around the country to personally inspect all 20 motors. They were also able to find out who exactly was responsible for clearing the casting sand. And that 1 man who was responsible for clearing the blocks after casting was not fired. He was made to stand in "the box". That factory serves their workers breakfast lunch and dinner as they work 12 hours shifts. They break for all 3 meals. "The box" is literally a square in the middle of the hallway leading to the factory cafeteria. Every other employee was able to walk by and shame that particular person for not doing their job, the honor system.

Now... I can not vouch for the accuracy of this story. But the gist is, they are usually extremely high quality trucks that are built with pride. It is not unusual to see a 30 year old Fuso with well over a million miles on an original motor. Unfortunately, Hino (Toyota) has taken over here in the states. Hino has beaten out Mitsubishi and Nissan (UD) in the US box truck market. While Hino's are incredible trucks that can be had in several configurations, I will always miss the Fuso as its what pretty much funded my childhood

chevy x1 (2500hd)

Cars
      2018 F150
      08-04-2020 11:25 AM #7
      I think there is still an import bias when it comes to the image that a truck is more reliable/will last longer.
      That, and everybody forgot about the Dakota rebadge Raider two days after they started selling it.
      IOW, they should do it.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Cars
      '16 Soul
      08-04-2020 12:01 PM #8
      This might show up about when I'll be in the market for something and I'll take a look for sure. I'm an old Mitsu fan that's always pulling for them to get it going again in the US
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

08-04-2020 12:10 PM #9

FUSO is not Mitsubishi. FUSO was never part of Mitsubishi Motors and has been under Daimler ownership for the last 20 years.

As for the thread topic... there is no way Mitsubishi will import the L200 from Thailand because Chicken Tax will make it too expensive. I'm sure they will sell a rebadged Nissan Frontier.

Cars
      08-04-2020 12:16 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      FUSO is not Mitsubishi. FUSO was never part of Mitsubishi Motors and has been under Daimler ownership for the last 20 years.

As for the thread topic... there is no way Mitsubishi will import the L200 from Thailand because Chicken Tax will make it too expensive. I'm sure they will sell a rebadged Nissan Frontier.
      you right.

chevy x1 (2500hd)

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5
      08-04-2020 12:22 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      I'm sure they will sell a rebadged Nissan Frontier.
      Wow! Is there a category below sub-prime called "terrible" or something? Who would Mitsu cater to that isn't already served by Nissan?

13. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      08-04-2020 12:44 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Wow! Is there a category below sub-prime called "terrible" or something? Who would Mitsu cater to that isn't already served by Nissan?
      The closest Mitsubishi dealerships near me is more like a used car dealership, which happens to have a few new cars.
      I suppose the customer is someone who is shopping for a used car, but manages to put together the finances to buy/lease a new car.

In related Mitsubishi news, someone near me DDs an I-Miev.
      Weird little EV pioneer survivor.

14. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      2018 F150
      08-04-2020 01:29 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      The closest Mitsubishi dealerships near me is more like a used car dealership, which happens to have a few new cars.
      I suppose the customer is someone who is shopping for a used car, but manages to put together the finances to buy/lease a new car.

In related Mitsubishi news, someone near me DDs an I-Miev.
      Weird little EV pioneer survivor.
      those i-MiEV were crazy expensive for what they were- a glorified golf cart.
      I give them credit for trying, and they are probably not terrible to own as they are fairly simple.
      As far as new car sales go- they still manage to sell 10k a month.
      Outlanders, Outlander Sports, Mirages, and that Eclipse Cross thing.
      Outlander Sports are still a good cheap crossover imo.
      They drive like a jacked up Protege5.
      Anyway, a real truck that looks and drive good could bring in real customers willing to pay MSRP if packaged/priced right.
      That's gotta be a good thing.
      And even if it's trash.. It's not not anything could hurt Mitsubishi's US image right now.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Cars
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      08-04-2020 01:37 PM #14
      you right.
      Owned by Daimler AG

Cars
      08-04-2020 02:11 PM #15
      Mitsubishi trucks I work with on occasion are called Fuso's and quite old

The trucks I'm referring to are closer to 40 years old now. They are Mitsubishi's just as a Volvo XC90 and a Volvo VNR are not made by the same company but are indeed both Volvos.

In 1970 MHI signed a joint-venture agreement with Chrysler Corporation, establishing the Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC), and MHI transferred its motor-vehicle operations to MMC.

In 1975, MMC opened the Nakatsu Plant at its Tokyo Motor Vehicle Works; five years later, it opened the Kitsuregawa Proving Grounds. Four years after that, MMC merged with Mitsubishi Motor Sales Company. In 1985, MMC and Mitsubishi Corporation established the joint-equity company Mitsubishi Trucks of America in the United States.

chevy x1 (2500hd)

Cars
      08-04-2020 03:43 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Anyway, a real truck that looks and drive good could bring in real customers willing to pay MSRP if packaged/priced right.
      That's gotta be a good thing.
      If it's priced right, Mitsu truck would sell. They just shouldn't pull that 0/0/0 (0 downpayment/0 interest/0 payments for 1 year) stunt. Even though everybody is pulling similar to that thanks to COVID-19.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      And even if it's trash.. It's not not anything could hurt Mitsubishi's US image right now.
      THIS. I'm just glad that they are not pulling out of US. But Nissan and Renault might think otherwise, as Mitsubishi is slowly but surely pulling out of Europe.

18. Member
      08-04-2020 04:48 PM #17
      I see many old fuso still running around nyc they must be better than an old mistu 2.0L oil burner

Cars
      2019 Mazda 3
      08-04-2020 04:51 PM #18
      They should have done that about 7yrs ago. And a new Pajero

20. Junior Member WatchOutLaszloPanaflex's Avatar
      Cars
      2020 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL R-Line
      08-04-2020 06:51 PM #19
      I really don't see Mitsubishi remaining in the US for much longer. Over the past decade, many of their dealerships turned into what resembled small mom & pop used car dealers, and now many of those dealers have been vanishing over recent years.
      "Douchebagery is douchebaggery, no matter what form it takes. And at the end of the day, we're always better off it we can talk to each other in a reasonable manner." - Robert Meyer Burnett

Cars
      '20 F-150 SCREW 2.7EB 4x4
      08-04-2020 08:44 PM #20
      I think that they make an attractive truck. It will probably have an optional manual trans and a decently low price of entry. Sign me up!

Cars
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      08-04-2020 09:32 PM #21

Can Mitsubishi truck save the company in US? Or is this another ISUZU path to FAIL in US?

https://www.motor1.com/news/346853/m...ckup-truck-us/
      Did we notice that this article is from 2019?

I wonder what their position is now what with the global pandemic and economic recession and all.

More like it...

Mitsubishi Is Focusing on Pickup’s For 2020 and 2021
      May 1st, 2019

https://www.universitymitsubishi.com...2020-and-2021/

Mitsubishi wants a compact pickup for the U.S. market, but won't rush it
      A Triton model expected in 2024 as a 2025 model

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/29/...kup-us-market/

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      08-04-2020 09:49 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

I wonder what their position is now what with the global pandemic and economic recession and all.

More like it...

Mitsubishi Is Focusing on Pickup’s For 2020 and 2021
      May 1st, 2019

https://www.universitymitsubishi.com...2020-and-2021/

Mitsubishi wants a compact pickup for the U.S. market, but won't rush it
      A Triton model expected in 2024 as a 2025 model

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/29/...kup-us-market/
      I heard Mitsubishi recently left the European market?
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      08-05-2020 12:32 AM #23
      All I have to contribute here is that my 16 year old Lancer is still firing up and running well after 230k miles. That car has been beat to hell and back but damn if it doesn't just keep running.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

25. Member
      08-05-2020 09:37 AM #24
      I don't have much to add here except that my family and I had a bunch of Mitsu's in the early 2000's and loved them but then they stopped R&D and axed everything but their small SUVs and the Mirage. I don't think they've historically done well with their badge engineered mid size pickups but if they can sell a new frontier with the new VQ motor for more value than that might be neat.

Cars
      08-05-2020 10:09 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

Yep. They are still working on bringing in the pickup truck since 2019. And it's sooner than later, but it will more likely be after Nissan's Frontier launches. So this means that if sales don't pickup soon, Mitsubishi may go the way of Isuzu...

"Sales are being continued. North America is one of the biggest markets. Therefore, exiting from the sales market would probably not be an option," he said during a press conference, according to Automotive News.

While Mitsubishi won't stop selling cars in America, he'll likely rework the brand's product line to fit the automaker's "small but beautiful" strategy that will aim for tiny, yet steady profit growth.

"If you are a big-scale OEM, of course you will be able to secure a profit. But will that be appropriate for us too, at MMC?" Kato said, according to Automotive News. "This is something we believe we should deliberate on going forward."

After taking the helm, Kato will release a mid-term business plan for Mitsubishi Motors sometime before the fiscal year ends in April 2020. It'll provide a better idea of what to expect from the company with him as the boss.

Part of Mitsubishi's future in the United States reportedly includes bringing a pickup back to its American lineup. Rumors suggest that as part of the Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi Alliance, the three automakers might create a shared platform for the future trucks.

Kato's most recent position within Mitsubishi was running the automaker's business in Indonesia. He has a past working in the United States, too, by helping to establish the automaker's Diamond Star Motors factory with Chrysler in Normal, Illinois, in the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I heard Mitsubishi recently left the European market?
      Yep. Mitsu is pulling out of UK as we speak and then following suit with Nissan, leaving Europe alltogether.

Mitsubishi Motors in the UK has written to all its UK franchised retail partners to tell them that the Japanese car manufacturer is pulling out of the UK and European new car markets.

A statement from the company said: “On Monday July 27 The Colt Car Company learned that Mitsubishi Motors Corporation is freezing the introduction of new vehicles in Europe, including the UK. The current range of Mitsubishi vehicles will remain on sale, however, and our valued customers can be assured that they will continue to receive FULL support in terms of service, repair, warranty, recalls, parts and accessories well into the future.”

“There are currently 247 employees in Cirencester (across The Colt Car Company, Spitalgate Dealer Services Limited and Shogun Retail Limited)

“Although Mitsubishi Motors Corporation will not be bringing in any new cars to the European market, including the UK, the Colt Car Company will continue to sell the current Mitsubishi Motors range to our UK Dealer network from our base here in Cirencester.

“The Colt Car Company has been looking for additional complimentary brands to bring to the UK market and has commenced some very preliminary discussions in this respect and with the announcement from Mitsubishi Motors will be looking now to accelerate this effort.”

Mitsubishi cars have been imported into the UK by the Cirencester-based Colt Car Company since 1974. The company, which seems to have had no prior inkling of the announcement, said that it would attempt to accelerate its plan to bring other emerging brands into the UK to replace the space left vacant by Mitsubishi. The company turns over more than £500 million annually and employs around 350 people.

Colt has written to its network to say that it had not foreseen the news and that as many retailers as possible would be retained as part of a parts and aftersales network.

Mitsubishi Motors, a junior member of the auto alliance of Nissan Motor and Renault SA, said that it had no choice but to reduce its fixed costs by 20 per cent and focus on investment in core markets where it sees potential.

Globally the company sold just 139,000 vehicles in the April-June quarter, down more than 50 per cent from last year.

The global pandemic has accelerated the adoption of electric, hybrid and plug-in cars in Europe, with diesel and petrol vehicles losing traction as a result. June was no exception to this trend. While petrol and diesel registrations fell by 32 per cent and 31 per cent respectively, compared to June 2019, the volume of new EVs registered rose from 111,300 units in June 2019 to 183,300 units last month, up by 65 per cent. In other words, the market share of EVs was 16.2 per cent, which closes the gap to less than eight percentage points compared to the market share for diesel cars. For every EV registered, in June 2019, there were 1.7 diesel cars registered – a ratio of 4.1 to 1, according to JATO Dynamics which provides timely, accurate and up-to-date automotive information on vehicle specifications across the world, pricing, sales and registrations.
      I wonder where all those Mitsubishi cars will be serviced. I'm sure that the service will be available.

https://www.businessinnovationmag.co...opean-markets/
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 08-05-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast