Fourtitude.com - Possible potential scam??
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 08-02-2020 11:58 AM #1
      My wife's dream car is a 64 Plymouth Valiant Convertible..

She put some feelers out, and received these two emails, which (to me) don't pass the sniff test as the car is in one location, and he another:

Hi,
      I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, but I've been working 16-hour shifts and I haven't seen the message until now.
      You inquired about my car and I hope you are still interested. This beauty is in great condition and extremely clean. It has been recently serviced and it's being sold as described, no mechanical or electrical issues, never abused, non smoker, runs and drives perfect. You can buy it for the price of $8,200. I work overseas for Seadrill on an oil rig and my contract ends in October. Then I have another 2 years agreement starting from November, so the car is no more useful to me.
      The location of the car is Seattle, WA, ready to go. I have arranged for the sale of the vehicle before leaving the states so if you want to find out more details about how we can close up this deal, do not hesitate to contact me and I will respond at my earliest convenience.

Thank you,
      Stephen

Hi xxxxxxx
      I apologize for the delay. I have been swamped at work. Since I'm quite busy with my job and unable to travel back to the States, I have decided to hire a company to ship the car and take care of the sale for me. The shipping & payment part of the transaction will be handled by Russell Shipping Services Ltd. The car is now located in their transit warehouse from Seattle, WA because I had a buyer from there but he canceled the deal because a family member passed away. They have in their custody both the vehicle and the title signed for release, which had been verified by their inspectors and they already gave the go ahead to begin the transaction. The vehicle comes with a large collection of history files, manuals and receipts.
      The best price I can make for you is $7,400. What do you think? Regarding the payment, there is a 3 days inspection period available for you once you will receive the vehicle in which you have the possibility to do an inspection to any authorized service of your choice before the company will release any money to me. If you decide not to keep it for any reason the car will be sent back to me (free of charge for you) and you will get a full refund no questions asked. So basically I only receive the money if you are happy about what you are buying.

Please read their how it works webpage on http://russellshippingservices.com/how_it_works.php and decide if you agree or not.

To be able to start this transaction you need to register on the shipping company's website. Once you are done, I will approve the deal from my account and Russell will contact you in order to go ahead with the purchase.

P.S. You should know that the car will be shipped anywhere within the States at my expense !

Looking forward to successfully completing this transaction.

Stephen

I think it's fishy, and I'd like to explain to her how the scam works.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-02-2020 12:18 PM #2
      Ain't no one with any sense going to fall for these. If the owner is with the car, title in hand, there when you inspect/drive the vehicle, all is (potentially) well. If not, nothing is (obviously) well. How hard is this?

4. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      08-02-2020 12:23 PM #3
      100% scam.

Reply that you know someone in Seattle who can come check the car over for you. You will either get a reply that they can’t do so for some reason (shipper won’t allow it) or no reply at all.

5. 08-02-2020 01:20 PM #4
      We know it's a scam, but out of curiosity how is this scam supposed to work?

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      08-02-2020 01:33 PM #5
      110% scam, either to phish for your data or steal money through fake escrow sites.

Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      08-02-2020 01:34 PM #6
      Send money right away to secure the deal because seller “doesn’t have time”

Any time you are doing a deal and the other party needs it done quick because they don’t have any time, beware.
      "Family of Fine Cars"

8. 08-02-2020 02:39 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      100% scam.

Reply that you know someone in Seattle who can come check the car over for you. You will either get a reply that they can’t do so for some reason (shipper won’t allow it) or no reply at all.
      This. Ask for a specific location and time when the car can be seen in person. Tell them you have a friend who will inspect it and will arrange transportation for it, and you will never hear from them again.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

9. 08-02-2020 03:01 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by mr wrong View Post
      I think it's fishy, and I'd like to explain to her how the scam works.
      For starters, do a little research on the "shipping company"

Here is the one review on google:

This business and address are not real, any reviewer or email address that would lead you to believe otherwise is complicit in their scam. Please do your research and demand phone numbers and a clear photo of a vehicle title.

This website was created 7/16/2020 and involved in scamming people interested in used cars. I was scammed by these people after finding a car on YUPI.COM I am out thousands of dollars and received nothing!

Do not wire money to anyone from this company or from YUPYI.COM
      they will create new websites and email addresses to continue this scam and are very wise as to making websites appear legitimate. They will take your money and run.

Look up the street address on their website. See if you can find any information on this company by doing so. Take a look at the address on google street view. It's a grubby looking storage yard for a handful of shipping containers. No sign for the business. The address on the fence doesn't even match. It's not too hard to make a professional looking website.

Not hard to figure this out if you're willing to spend about 10 minutes and dig a little.

If your wife is still too headstrong to listen,have her tell the seller she will pay him the original asking price if she sets up the escrow payment though another company. This guys will dissapear like a fart in a wind tunnel.

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-02-2020 03:21 PM #9
      Scam works like this:
      they have a fake escrow company that they try to make it sound like is a trusted escrow company that will hold the money and give it back to you if the deal falls through. You send money to that escrow company. Your money is now gone. bad luck bro
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Cars
      05 330ci ZHP conv; 15 BMW 328i; 12 Highlander; 15 BMW 535i
      08-02-2020 03:21 PM #10
      I think it was explained how it worked in prior posts, but yeah, the domain was created recently. Also, the site is full of typos.

Domain Information
      Name: RUSSELLSHIPPINGSERVICES.COM
      Registry Domain ID: 2546435628_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
      Domain Status:
      clientTransferProhibited
      Nameservers:
      DNS1.NAMECHEAPHOSTING.COM
      DNS2.NAMECHEAPHOSTING.COMDates
      Registry Expiration: 2021-07-16 14:45:49 UTC
      Created: 2020-07-16 14:45:49 UTC

Keep looking. I'm also a huge fan of the '64 Valiant. Best grille of the 63-66 Valiants, in my opinion.

Here are some on Hemmings, including a '64 Canadian Valiant Convertible: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...min=&year_max=
      Last edited by VAB5; 08-02-2020 at 03:27 PM.

12. 08-02-2020 03:53 PM #11
      They get you to pay for the vehicle and then it never shows up, isn't that the scam? Or they get you to put down a deposit of some sort.

Usually reverse image searching reveals where they have stolen the pics from and it can be quite hilarious.

13. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      08-02-2020 04:27 PM #12
      It works this way. Mr Scammer gets the money. Mr Wrong gets no car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Cars
      2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 1967 Datsun 1600
      08-03-2020 08:16 AM #13

15. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-03-2020 08:25 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      Ain't no one with any sense going to fall for these. If the owner is with the car, title in hand, there when you inspect/drive the vehicle, all is (potentially) well. If not, nothing is (obviously) well. How hard is this?
      Sounds like OP is on the same page, but QFT. Personally, I have 0% nonsense tolerance for this stuff. Even if the seller is 20 minutes late without a call or text I'm gone, let alone a lien and certainly not involving oil rigs and escrow.

16. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      08-03-2020 09:31 AM #15
      Notable fish odors result from:

overseas
      need to move quickly
      3rd party has the goods
      deceased relative

pity there's no diamond mine or civil war for our Nigerian prince to leverage