Fourtitude.com - Unknown bolt in top of block
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 08-02-2020 10:08 AM #1
      I bought a 2002 Jetta with a 12valve VR6 from a lady who took it to a shop and was told she needed a new motor. Iíve got it torn down and, so far, the only thing Iíve found is the timing chain guides were shot. 2 of the cylinders are leaking out the exhaust valve so I have the head off. In one corner of the top of the block there is a recessed triple square bolt head and Iím wondering if anyone can tell me what it is. If the motor was in the car it would be the back, passenger side corner of the block.

I still havenít pulled the rod and main caps but likely will to send the block out to be tanked (itís filthy) and Iím wondering if this is something to pull out or if itís best left in place.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-02-2020 01:48 PM #2
      It's a valve for oil, you want to pull it out & save it for re-installation if you're getting it hot-tanked. I forget if it's a check valve to keep oil in the head, or a pressure regulator, but you want it in there when you put it back together.
      =P

4. 08-02-2020 04:25 PM #3
      Perfect. Thanks. I had a feeling it was some sort of oil relief valve or check valve.