Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      08-11-2020 04:10 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      I think I have to remove the sound deadening material that is under the spair. It's about the size of the spare and its glued on. IDK exactly how to remove it, I got some off by just peeling it but it's just crumbling up. I'm fairly sure this is the rest of the smell. It's weird nothing else in the car smells and I never even noticed it until I removed the spare tire... It's the only thing left that isn't metal that was under the mats.

I'll give the suggestions mentioned a shot when I can. For now everything is outside in the sun. and i've been trying to keep the hatch open so it'll air out. I'm pretty sure the primary culprit is the spare tire.
      Dry it out thoroughly, soak it in mold cleaner, let that dry, shampoo/dawn clean the heck out of it, rinse, and use a shop vac to suck out as much moisture as you can.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-12-2020 07:58 PM #77
      well I got a set of corolla S wheels for $80 that are in pretty decent shape. Got them so I can throw some winter tires on it.... will stay sitting on the factory 16" wheels for now but I figured I'd throw them up next to the car for a pic

working on getting quotes for fluid film or krown rust proofing...
      I did get a quote for ceramic coating but I didn't realize how much that stuff costs... it was like 1500-$2k just for the ceramic coating and paint correction, not counting the few small dents and stuff that need to be fixed...
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      08-12-2020 08:14 PM #78
      well I got a set of corolla S wheels for $80 that are in pretty decent shape. Got them so I can throw some winter tires on it.... will stay sitting on the factory 16" wheels for now but I figured I'd throw them up next to the car for a pic

working on getting quotes for fluid film or krown rust proofing...
      I did get a quote for ceramic coating but I didn't realize how much that stuff costs... it was like 1500-$2k just for the ceramic coating and paint correction, not counting the few small dents and stuff that need to be fixed...
      I think TCL should just pitch $10/member and buy you a winter beater. Don't subject this thing to Boston's worst.

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-12-2020 08:49 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      I think TCL should just pitch $10/member and buy you a winter beater. Don't subject this thing to Boston's worst.
      I mean it's mostly the insurance cost that is an issue, otherwise I'd have kept the Hyundai.... it's like double my monthly to have 2 cars. If I had 2 cars the 2nd car would have to be like, bare minimum coverage and worth next to nothing, which is tricky to find a car that is so cheap yet doesn't need a buttload of repairs...
      I don't have a job that requires me to commute in the winter right now, its just school and gig work for now.

I may still look for a cheap 1-2k beater though.
      Last edited by elite.mafia; 08-12-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      08-12-2020 09:10 PM #80
      I mean it's mostly the insurance cost that is an issue, otherwise I'd have kept the Hyundai.... it's like double my monthly to have 2 cars. If I had 2 cars the 2nd car would have to be like, bare minimum coverage and worth next to nothing, which is tricky to find a car that is so cheap yet doesn't need a buttload of repairs...
      I don't have a job that requires me to commute in the winter right now, its just school and gig work for now.

Ah, fair enough. That's got to suck. I can seemingly add endless vehicles to my policy for like $15-20/vehicle. My former CB1100 was $8/month and my M3 is something like $21/month. Maybe Mass. is just a bad place to be insured. In any case, it's great you're going to protect it. It's too nice to see turn to dust.

Cars
      ‘18 Accord, ‘94 Miata
      08-12-2020 11:29 PM #81
      I’d sell that thing for monster profit before I drove it in the winter...

8. Goes in two directions RAVatar's Avatar
      Cars
      '14 Toy RAV4Runner '20 Toy Corolla Smurf '13 Ferrari 458 Italia Size: XS
      08-13-2020 12:09 PM #82
      I'm not the least bit surprised. Sounds like you have the same issues with yours that I outlined with mine. You need to pull the back seats and make sure water isn't underneath the bottom cushions. Also wouldn't hurt to check the sunroof drains. The glass panels are supposed to be better than the plastic ones on earlier cars but all were susceptible to leaking once the seals began to shrink or dry rot.

The culprit for your rear leak is the rear quarter windows. They leak at the seams thru the rear fenders and it puddles into the bottom of the rear seats and the spare tire well. That's why all your tools and carpet are rusty/musty.

Proper cleaning requires pulling the entire rear half of the interior and caulk sealing the welds and seams at the bottom of the rear windows. It was a whole weekend job for me in my garage.

I seem to also remember the hatch at the top was a potential leak point as well, but I didn't have that issue. Direction on where to pull apart and seal is dependent on where the water is pooling.
      Last edited by RAVatar; 08-13-2020 at 12:27 PM.
      Off Topikstan CSB Thread, First Responder (c) 2013
      IG - the_cama_lens
      OG:SAV912
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for an aSS
      She got so pissed off she dumped her tits out at me.

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-13-2020 02:36 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      I’d sell that thing for monster profit before I drove it in the winter...
      I mean I'd rather not sell it, unless I can somehow get a brand new CTR for the amount it sells for lol...
      cheap winter beater seems like the way to go but have to wait a bit.

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-14-2020 08:11 AM #84
      Installed this Megan racing Rear Lower Tie Bar
      it came as a bundle with the (used) KN typhoon intake I bought. I have no idea if it does anything but it looks neat i guess?

11. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      2018 F150
      08-14-2020 08:28 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      And if it is, hopefully some kind of under body coating at the very at least.
      Please OP- get some type of underbody rust protection.
      Any dollars spent now to keep it from rusting will literally help keep its value the same for years.
      It may even increase in value at some point if kept nice.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-14-2020 11:24 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Please OP- get some type of underbody rust protection.
      Any dollars spent now to keep it from rusting will literally help keep its value the same for years.
      It may even increase in value at some point if kept nice.
      I am getting either krown or fluid film done on the car.

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-17-2020 03:30 PM #87
      The trunk carpets were savable, but the spare and spare tire cover are going to the trash. I was able to get all the smell out with a crapload of CLR Mold+Mildew spray, rinsed with a hose and sun dried, followed by further drying in a vented closet with a space heater. No more smell. The spare tire and cardboard spare cover still smell though, and I see more white fuzz re-appearing on the spare.... so I'm gonna just throw them both out. I was able to cut some plywood to fit and used some 3m command velcro adhesive to secure it, worked out pretty well IMO...

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      08-17-2020 03:41 PM #88
      Great news, and good work. That CLR spray is good stuff.

Cars
      2015 Honda CRZ, 1991 Honda Civic Si, 1997 BMW M3/4/5
      08-18-2020 07:20 PM #89
      The trunk carpets were savable, but the spare and spare tire cover are going to the trash. I was able to get all the smell out with a crapload of CLR Mold+Mildew spray, rinsed with a hose and sun dried, followed by further drying in a vented closet with a space heater. No more smell. The spare tire and cardboard spare cover still smell though, and I see more white fuzz re-appearing on the spare.... so I'm gonna just throw them both out. I was able to cut some plywood to fit and used some 3m command velcro adhesive to secure it, worked out pretty well IMO...

I actually have a bunch of random Celica parts from this generation because my sister wrecked her's and I yanked a bunch of stuff out of it before sending it off to the yard. It's been a while, so a bunch has sold already. Let me know if you need anything and I can pick thru it to see if I still have it.
      Quote Originally Posted by woofsburger View Post
      It's reassuring to know that when I finally hit the 98th percentile of US individual income, that I may then buy my dream car - a Toyota Avalon.

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-19-2020 03:05 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
      I actually have a bunch of random Celica parts from this generation because my sister wrecked her's and I yanked a bunch of stuff out of it before sending it off to the yard. It's been a while, so a bunch has sold already. Let me know if you need anything and I can pick thru it to see if I still have it.
      don't really need anything, just need to fix this issue. which I still somewhat can smell the smell whenever I have the seats folded flat. I'm pretty sure it's not the carpets at this point. I'm starting to think I need to remove the plastic trims around perimiter of the trunk area.... I can't see any leaks, all the seals around the hatch are good. The car did sit untouched in a garage for like 5 or so years so I mean, I am kind of leaning towards it having to do more with that than an actual leak.... I'm like 99% sure the smell is secluded to behind the rear seats.

only things that I could possibly use are the spare tire and the cardboard spare tire cover with tire iron. All the plastics are in great shape, I imagine it's probably some sound deadening material somewhere that is smelly. I tried to remove the bit that sits under the spare but it's not easy and I threw in the towel for now. Will have to research a better way to remove it... This is probably the primary culprit but IDK for sure. I did clean the crap out of it with the clr spray as well but its one of those things where the harder you scrub it the more it flakes away so its not really an easy thing to clean properly.
      Last edited by elite.mafia; 08-19-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Cars
      2015 Honda CRZ, 1991 Honda Civic Si, 1997 BMW M3/4/5
      08-19-2020 03:29 PM #91
      don't really need anything, just need to fix this issue. which I still somewhat can smell the smell whenever I have the seats folded flat. I'm pretty sure it's not the carpets at this point. I'm starting to think I need to remove the plastic trims around perimiter of the trunk area.... I can't see any leaks, all the seals around the hatch are good. The car did sit untouched in a garage for like 5 or so years so I mean, I am kind of leaning towards it having to do more with that than an actual leak.... I'm like 99% sure the smell is secluded to behind the rear seats.

only things that I could possibly use are the spare tire and the cardboard spare tire cover with tire iron. All the plastics are in great shape, I imagine it's probably some sound deadening material somewhere that is smelly. I tried to remove the bit that sits under the spare but it's not easy and I threw in the towel for now. Will have to research a better way to remove it... This is probably the primary culprit but IDK for sure. I did clean the crap out of it with the clr spray as well but its one of those things where the harder you scrub it the more it flakes away so its not really an easy thing to clean properly.
      FWIW, when my sister's car had a pool of water in her trunk, I replaced the seal around the hatch as well, only to have it keep leaking. After changing out the tail light gaskets, the leaking stopped.
      Quote Originally Posted by woofsburger View Post
      It's reassuring to know that when I finally hit the 98th percentile of US individual income, that I may then buy my dream car - a Toyota Avalon.

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      08-19-2020 03:36 PM #92

Once you have found the leaks and solved them, buy/rent/find a detailer and run an ozone generator in the car. Ozium spray is a decent off-the-shelf option as well, but nothing beats a real generator to kill smells in the vehicle.

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      08-19-2020 04:04 PM #93
      Oh please do not winter this. TCL would create a gofundme if you did. dude
      Slow Car Fast

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-19-2020 04:49 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
      FWIW, when my sister's car had a pool of water in her trunk, I replaced the seal around the hatch as well, only to have it keep leaking. After changing out the tail light gaskets, the leaking stopped.
      I've not seen any water inside the car, and I've washed the car and sprayed directly at seals to check for leaks, nothing.... I pulled out the plastic tray behind the rear seats and it is clean back there too, the cushions/foam of the seats look brand new. I'll have to check the tail light gaskets but it's just weird not seeing any dampness.

will give the ozium stuff a shot before trying to get it ozoned.

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-19-2020 04:50 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Oh please do not winter this. TCL would create a gofundme if you did. dude
      it's not like I am going to be driving it in the snow. I'm most likely going to be doing online courses as well given the pandemic situation, so I probably won't even have to leave the house in the winter. I do plan on getting undercoating and looking into possibly ceramic coating it but the current quote I have for ceramic coating is a bit out there (1500-2000 ish.)

Cars
      17 GTI Sport
      08-19-2020 06:02 PM #96
      the current quote I have for ceramic coating is a bit out there (1500-2000 ish.)
      That is bonkers pricing for a CC. Buy some CQuartz and do it yourself, it's no harder than waxing.
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-19-2020 06:06 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by tampaSi View Post
      That is bonkers pricing for a CC. Buy some CQuartz and do it yourself, it's no harder than waxing.
      to be honest IDK why they were charging so much. That price included a detail, paint correction and ceramic coating, but not any protective film, which is what I thought it would have included...
      This car has a few small dents that I'd like fixed as well, which wasn't included in that price either. One on the front right fender, and a few scratches and small dents on the left quarter panel. Almost looks like somebody keyed the car or something.... who knows. I'll fix the scratches when I get a chance but the dents is beyond my ability. I was going to try just using this turtle wax hybrid solutions ceramic spray coating. I bought a bundle of chemical guys stuff as well.

This is the place I got the quote from btw...
      https://craftdetailing.com/opti-coat...lus-dedham-ma/
      Last edited by elite.mafia; 08-19-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Cars
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      08-19-2020 06:13 PM #98

When I lived in Vermont I bought an old AWD Legacy wagon every fall to beat on throughout the winter. I'd break even selling them again in the spring even after some horrific winters.

I suppose that's going to be harder to pull off now that all the EJ22 cars have rusted away, but there should be plenty of front wheel drive stuff that will suffice.
      call it potatography

Cars
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      08-19-2020 06:20 PM #99
      it's not like I am going to be driving it in the snow. I'm most likely going to be doing online courses as well given the pandemic situation, so I probably won't even have to leave the house in the winter. I do plan on getting undercoating and looking into possibly ceramic coating it but the current quote I have for ceramic coating is a bit out there (1500-2000 ish.)
      They’re all overreacting. As long as you aren’t dailying it like 50 salty highway miles every day, it’ll be fine, especially if you can take it to a touch less car wash or hose out the underbody pretty regularly in the winter to clear out the salt.

If you’re not from the snow belt you probably don’t appreciate how few people actually wash their cars around here.

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-19-2020 06:21 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      They’re all overreacting. As long as you aren’t dailying it like 50 salty highway miles every day, it’ll be fine, especially if you can take it to a touch less car wash or hose out the underbody pretty regularly in the winter to clear out the salt.

If you’re not from the snow belt you probably don’t appreciate how few people actually wash their cars around here.
      there is a touchless wash right around the corner from me. I have owned several new cars and none of them rotted away... even the older cars I've owned none of them got any rustier than they already were...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast