VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Wheel Wax

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  brodlins 
#1 ·
I just purchased Pretoria wheels for my MK 7 Golf R. They are used so I am planning on cleaning them and then would like to wax/seal them to make them easy to clean for future washes. Was going to put a few coats of car wax on them but I am reading that it cannot take the heat.

I have done some research on old threads but all the info I am looking at is a number of years old. I see some people use Nu Finish or Wheel Wax (might be an upgrade from Nu Finish?). Also have seen a couple higher end sealers. Any input on the best product that I can coat the wheels that will last for some time so they wipe up nicely when I go to wash them?

Thanks!

Blake

#3 ·
With a purchase of some new wheels last summer,I initially used both Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic wax spray and Turtle Wax Ice seal-n-shine and the results have been very impressive.The TW product is fairly cheap,too.I just rotated+washed wheels and re-applied the Meguiar's stuff last week.They still look great and it allows them to be cleaned very easily with just a wheel brush and some foamy soap and/or Simple Green.

#4 ·
Ceramic Coat Your Wheels

Applying a ceramic coating to wheels requires less skill than applying to your paint. After thoroughly cleaning your wheels, I recommend a wheel cleaner that is pH balanced and actively works on iron deposits from brake dust, apply a thin, even coat. The ceramic coating will last a lot longer than wax and future washings will call for less scrubbing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B5VKwgokvw4GL7gC8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VE1vjgEd7pWg8cH38

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xm3YaKXzAoXh3VEV8

#5 ·
I used Optimum Gloss Coat on my wheels. Any ceramic or polymer sealant will last longer than wax. Main thing it get the surface free of contaminants, oils and wax residue. The wheels still get the brake dust buildup but it is much easier to clean off.

My suggestion would be the following:

1. Hose of any loose debris.
2. Use a ph balanaced wheel cleaner like the one from Sonax. May need to use a wheel brush depending on how dirty the wheels are.
3. For any stubborn brake dust deposits try a clay bar and lube (car wash soap works well for this). Clay bar really works well to remove those brake dust specks.
4. Once the wheels are clean and free of brake dust/road tar wash the wheels again using Dawn dish washing liquid. The Dawn will remove oils and waxes from the surface of the wheels.
5. Rinse and dry the wheels and apply a ceramic or polymer sealant per the directions.

Important thing here is the prep work for the application of the final ceramic/polymer coating.

#6 ·
3. For any stubborn brake dust deposits try a clay bar and lube (car wash soap works well for this). Clay bar really works well to remove those brake dust specks.
Should go without saying, but if you do this - throw out that clay bar or at very least mark it clearly so you don’t mistakenly rub this contaminated clay down your paint or across your windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
People are still using clay bar? Nano-skin baby, all the way! To fully decontaminate wheels before coating, MEDIUM acrylic reducer will get everything off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.