VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Disconnecting radio - require radio code to play?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DrGER 
#1 ·
If I disconnect 2009 Jetta SW radio, upon reconnecting will I need a radio code to make it work? I don't have the code. Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
My experience has been the factory installed radio (Premium 7) has never asked for code.

The one I replaced it with (RCD310 from MK6) only asked for code the first time I installed it.

If you need to get the code there are several online services that can send you the code for your radio. The dealership used to give you the code (after proving ownership). Now they charge approx $125 to recode the radio and wont give you the code.

If you really like the radio or have one of the nicer radios (RNS, 510, MFD2, Premium, etc) I would advise getting the code for it. I got mine (RCD310) from an online service in the UK for about $15, pricier than ebay but was guaranteed to get working code or 100% money back. Worked on the first try.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

#5 ·
A VCDS scan will report the radio serial number (if it hasn't already been removed).

I used an eBay service a couple of weeks ago to get the code for an RNS315 we put into the JSW we bought recently (search for item 274141546796 -- I'm new here, so the site isn't let me include the URL until I make a few more posts).

Placed the order around 6pm local time, had the code by the time I got up next morning -- well worth the price for the service, IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.