Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Cars
      Lots of things with a few 911s included
      07-10-2020 05:38 PM #1
      As I stated in the last couple of replies in my GT3 touring thread, I’m just going to consolidate all the Porsche stuff I do into one thread instead of scattering it across many semi-related ones. There’s less bumping of random threads and it’s easier for me and posterity’s sake to refer back to.

I broke my goal of not buying any more 911s for 2020. I can’t say that I was actively looking, because I wasn’t. I can say that I had decided that while the 997TTs are amazingly cool cars, I had reached my end point with them after nearly 7 years of ownership. They are really cool cars, but with most of their DNA related back to the 993 and 996 chassis, they are starting to feel a bit long in the tooth for anything approaching a daily driver type vehicle for me.

I never planned on daily driving the 997s, but the ability to do so without wondering if I was going to get stranded was always in the back of my mind. The black 997 had been exemplary though, zero issues while I owned it….though I only put about 1000 miles on it total. I mentioned I may sell the black car, and the very first guy actually bought it. It shipped to him yesterday. Lovely car, and I hope he drives it a lot more than I did.

Nevertheless, while casually browsing the FS ads on reenlist, a blue and fully loaded GTS popped up not too far away. The price was a bit high, and I intentionally blew it off and moved on/trying not to think about it more. I was successful for about a week. The thing that caught me was the seller was impatient, and kept lowering the price a substantial amount weekly. 991s in this price range, even really well priced ones, take 30-45 days on average to move. It had been two weeks and his price was down the better part of 20k. His FS ad was not great, and the pics were awful….but I knew what the car was, and I acted on it. I called up, had a 10 minute conversation, and told him I would see him the next day with a cashier’s check in hand. Rest was history.

I knew the car would be in good shape based on our discussion, but the thing was nearly flawless, especially for a 2017. The interior literally looks brand spanking new. Zero creases on the driver’s side seat bolsters either. The entire full front clip was already PPF’d, though the job wasn’t nearly as clean as the extremely well done wrap on my RS with all the seams and edges hidden.

The GTS is a bit of a step child in the 911 family. It is priced high and with options approaching that of a GT3….so most people just make the step up. It’s a really interesting ‘tweener type car though for those who know. Lots of GT3 sporting bits with the more relaxed nature of the non-GT 911. For people looking for a more special, sporting drive without going full GT, this is the car. It reminds me a lot of my old Turbo S, but with a lot more personality. They are also considerably rare compared to a GT3 with less than 1000 991 GTS coupes running around.

This particular one has the alcantara GTS interior package and CF trim. 18 way seats as well. Interior feels like a much more comfortable variant of the RS. This one also has the Bose stereo upgrade. There’s various carmine red interior upgrades which are sparsely scattered about, but look great. Front axel lift, glass roof, center locks, premium package with entry and drive, blind spot monitoring, auto high beams, etc, etc. I’ve actually never had a 911 with all these options in one car, so it’s been pretty cool to see all of them work in concert.

The drive is great. I already knew what the car could do on track, as these are what we drive half the time at the Porsche driving school. Even with the Pzeros, the cars are very, very fast. The power is excellent, and the tuning is a lot more like a naturally aspirated car. The midrange is strong, but they taper the torque in and keep the power up all the way to 7500 rpm. It’s rated for 450 hp, but puts 420-430 hp to the tire. Feels great, and every bit of the 123-124 mph trap speeds the mags got. It pulls really hard from 5k to 7500. It sounds great as well. The sound symposer amplifies the actual intake manifold resonance and is a mechanical system that modulates in volume based on the mode you are in. The exhaust is standard sport exhaust, and it has very nice burbles and pops… the turbine wheel whistles are also pretty evident behind the car with the valves open. It has all the tech stuff the turbo has as well, like anti-lag in sport plus mode where it leaves the throttle valve open but cuts the fueling. It’s pretty wild to still see 2-4 psi in the manifold 5-10 seconds after you’ve come off the throttle. Has all the PDK free-wheeling while coasting like the turbo does too.

As to the feel (this all compared to a GT car), it’s like a layer of syrup was added between you, the driver, and the controls. There isn’t really much in the way of vibrations, and the road noise is much more muted: like you have on ear muffs with regards to these sounds. Drivetrain noise is also much more subdued, and you can’t feel the texture of the road through your feet and rear end. All of this is fine in a car designed to be a very sporty daily driver. This particular car also has rear axle steering, like a GT3. The turn-in is great, but not razor sharp. Low speed maneuverability is great.

I added the GT3RS side skirts that I had floating around for my touring, but never installed. I like the look. The GTS is the intermediate body car just like the GT3 and Carrera 4. Skirts fit very well other than a tiny gap near the rear. I’m fine with it.

I ordered a tool that lets me put the car into Dyno mode on a 2WD Dyno. This means I can now Dyno the RS and the GTS. Hope to do that soon.

Mods on this one are likely as follows: Aftermarket cats. Zero power once tuned, but it sounds amazing. Better intercoolers: intercooling on this platform is suspect. These are frankly needed to maximize consistency even on the factory tune, though Porsche allows for some pretty heinous intake temps before de-rating power-wise, so it is designed accordingly. Finally, some better turbo inlet pipes. APR noted a substantial improvement in turbo efficiency when upgrading to the Tial units on their fully instrumented test car. I suspect I will flash it as well. 550-560 whp on 93 octane. I don’t know that I will mess with E85, but its in the 620-630 whp range with the mods above and the GTS turbos, which are the biggest of the 3.0T family.

It isn’t a full on race car, but that isn’t what I was looking for this time around. I wanted something that felt a bit special, but I could still hop into and drive 1.5 hours to one of our outside facilities. This car does this in spades, all while looking incredible. Paint guy already corrected it, ceramic coated it, and added more PPF to the usual places I put it.

Looking forward to this one for the next year or two!

Untitled by glmmd81, on Flickr

2019 Guards/Aurum GT3 RS Weissach
      2018 RS3: APR stage 2 10.72 @ 130.5
      2020 Performance Blue Raptor crew cab
      2017 Night blue metallic 991 GTS
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      S60.
      07-10-2020 05:53 PM #2
      Great spec, and that color...

The level of comfort this has compared to the GT’s seems to help a lot as a daily driver proposition. Sounds like it perfectly fits your needs, gotta love that.
      It’s alive!!!

http://vintageuro.com

Stories, podcasts, and pics of all the good things

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG ect..
      07-10-2020 06:02 PM #3
      The Blue is very stunning!!

Cars
      18 LR Discovery Gen2 Raptor 97 BMW M3
      07-10-2020 06:02 PM #4
      Wish you still lived in Mobile so i could see these your awesome cars running around town. Bham is a far better car town. Maybe ill run in to you at Barber some time.

Cars
      17 Aprilia Tuono, 17 GTI
      07-10-2020 06:08 PM #5
      Looks awesome dude, congrats!

7. Member
      Cars
      F
      07-10-2020 09:43 PM #6
      What will you buy when you get bored of 911s?

8. Member
      Cars
      2016 Camaro
      07-10-2020 09:54 PM #7
      Shots of the interior? Love the blue... my car is a similar color with black wheels as well. In my mind, the GTS and the 911T are the most desirable models because you don't see them every day and most people don't opt for them. 911s have so much power now it's insane, especially with the mods you're planning on doing. It's a classy car that can simultaneously blow the doors off a lot of other cars you'd expect to be faster. Congratulations on the new ride! Waiting for the next one in 2021.

9. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      07-10-2020 11:58 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      This, very much this. What a nearly perfect spec. Color me Jelly.

Excited to follow along
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Cars
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      07-11-2020 09:38 AM #9
      I would have mine exactly like this, right down to the smokers package. It's perfect and I am happy for you.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

11. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Cars
      2011 BMW 328i Touring, 2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      07-11-2020 06:05 PM #10
      Yeah, for a DD that's a great spec.

Just needs a stick.

Cars
      2013 GTI
      07-11-2020 06:16 PM #11
      That color is amazing, nicely spec'd

13. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      07-11-2020 06:17 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      I broke my goal of not buying any more 911s for 2020.
      Toaster, you and I have a similarity: we fail at our goals. My goal for the last 30 years has been to buy a 911...and you're trying NOT to? We both fail but I see you as winning.

Anyway, great thread. I love to see the 911s you accidentally purchase!

14. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      07-11-2020 07:10 PM #13
      I made a sound when I saw the pics

Really really nice.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Cars
      07-11-2020 10:01 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post

The level of comfort this has compared to the GT’s seems to help a lot as a daily driver proposition. Sounds like it perfectly fits your needs, gotta love that.
      100% agree. I've been driving the car around this weekend exclusively and it is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      The Blue is very stunning!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
      Wish you still lived in Mobile so i could see these your awesome cars running around town. Bham is a far better car town. Maybe ill run in to you at Barber some time.
      I'm in Montgomery. If you find yourself up this way, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty_spl View Post
      Looks awesome dude, congrats!
      Clint! Come hang out man.

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      What will you buy when you get bored of 911s?
      A common subject I'm teased about. Who knows. These cars fit many aspects of my personality and they are all substantially different, for my tastes anyway, that I'm entertained by all the variants.

Quote Originally Posted by LoudTIGER View Post
      Shots of the interior? Love the blue... my car is a similar color with black wheels as well. In my mind, the GTS and the 911T are the most desirable models because you don't see them every day and most people don't opt for them. 911s have so much power now it's insane, especially with the mods you're planning on doing. It's a classy car that can simultaneously blow the doors off a lot of other cars you'd expect to be faster. Congratulations on the new ride! Waiting for the next one in 2021.
      Doh! I seem to always forget that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      This, very much this. What a nearly perfect spec. Color me Jelly.

Excited to follow along
      Thanks buddy. For me it was just about the perfect spec. I wish it didn't have a sunroof at all. I wanted the big reds for a DD. I raced both the PDK and the 7MT. Both were fun. I wasn't really set on one or the other. I'm completely fine with the PDK in this car.

Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      I would have mine exactly like this, right down to the smokers package. It's perfect and I am happy for you.
      Thank you very much! I think it is perfect as well. You have great taste

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Yeah, for a DD that's a great spec.

Just needs a stick.
      7MT is ok. Like I've said many times, I think fast cars are fine in either flavor. Slow cars are a lot more fun with a manual trans for me personally, and I wouldn't even consider an auto in something slow ( <200hp ). I actually realized yesterday that this is the first time I've ever been without a manual transmission in my garage since I first got one in 2000. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Toaster, you and I have a similarity: we fail at our goals. My goal for the last 30 years has been to buy a 911...and you're trying NOT to? We both fail but I see you as winning.

Anyway, great thread. I love to see the 911s you accidentally purchase!
      Thanks buddy. These things are hobbies for me and I really do try to put a lot of effort into buying and selling them right. Not just buying the first thing that comes along. That makes it a lot less crazy than it actually seems. Case in point the black 997 cost of ownership was just a couple thousand bucks. I do hope that you reach your dream, however. I'll be glad to give rides if you need some convincing

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I made a sound when I saw the pics

Really really nice.
      Thanks man!

In other news I found some used Soul sport cats that I was able to buy today. These are a VERY popular upgrade just for the really cool noise. I'll get some video once I get it installed soon.
      Last edited by Toaster29; 07-11-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Cars
      07-21-2020 05:01 PM #15
      I sent the wheels off to HRE for refinishing. UPS in their infinite wisdom shipped one of them back to me late last week, so I turned it around and sent it back across the country...again. Still a work in progress there. Satin black will be the finish.

I also installed some Soul sport cats on the GTS today. There's nothing new to add to this that hasn't already been said if you read any of the reviews. The tone and volume of the exhaust with the valves open is much improved. You can now hear the turbine wheels whistling at low speeds. With PSE off, the car is nearly as quiet as it was previously. I would say that the overall livability of the car was not changed in any significant way, but the character of it is so much better when in sport mode or PSE on. Fitment was excellent. No smell. No check engine light. I'm extremely happy with this as the first modification and would recommend it to anybody looking for a bit more fun out of their 991.2

As to the installation itself: As usual the turbo heatshields are annoying to take off and put on. There's one screw on each side that's incredibly difficult to see, much less access. No issues with the de-install pulling the lone turbo stud on either side though. Compared to the heatshield screws, the one difficult header nut on the driver's side looks to be easy in comparison . Reinstallation is considerably easier as the soul cats are physically smaller with a lot more room to work up in there. Overall the entire process reminded me a lot of the exhaust/header install I did on my 991.2 Turbo S I used to own.

I have some AMS intercoolers as well as TiAL intake pipes on the way. Until the turbo inlets themselves are released that'll be all the hard-part changes.

Cars
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      07-21-2020 10:07 PM #16
      What a beautiful car. Congrats!
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Cars
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      07-22-2020 09:59 AM #17
      Congrats, Toaster!

My neighbor has a 991.2 GTS for a daily, and assuming it's stock, it's still surprisingly loud from the outside. I can be anywhere in the house and hear him coming down the street in the late afternoon each day. Vmmmm…<downshift> brraaap….burble burble pop POP,

19. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      07-22-2020 10:31 AM #18
      Might've said it in your other thread already but no harm saying it twice if so--that color is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      My neighbor has a 991.2 GTS for a daily, and assuming it's stock, it's still surprisingly loud from the outside. I can be anywhere in the house and hear him coming down the street in the late afternoon each day. Vmmmm…<downshift> brraaap….burble burble pop POP,
      Ah, that car is likely being driven in sport mode with the PSE open.

Cars
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition, 2013 Honda CB500X
      07-22-2020 10:35 AM #19
      If Toaster doesn't get a new car every year, we should be concerned and consider setting up a GoFundMe.

Nice car!
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

21. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      07-22-2020 11:47 AM #20
      This is quite possibly a world record for the shortest OEM exhaust.

Cars
      08-06-2020 10:19 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Congrats, Toaster!

Yea, the PSE on a 991.2 reminds me of the active exhaust on the RS3. Very quiet from the inside, but a surprising amount of volume from an OEM with the valves open. It's now appropriate volume on the inside when open, but fairly loud outside the car. Good thing it sounds so good and the turbine wheels whistle away now

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Might've said it in your other thread already but no harm saying it twice if so--that color is amazing!

Ah, that car is likely being driven in sport mode with the PSE open.
      Thank you bud. I absolutely love the color and the car. I've had it 6 weeks and already put 1500 miles on the car. So much fun to cruise around in.

Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      If Toaster doesn't get a new car every year, we should be concerned and consider setting up a GoFundMe.

Nice car!
      Haha, no way. I know you're just joking, but I would never rely on other people for my hobby. If something happened, these things would all go. They are just toys. Except probably the Raptor. I think I would keep that one

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      This is quite possibly a world record for the shortest OEM exhaust.
      Makes you wonder why aftermarket exhausts for these cars are 3-4k

Cars
      08-13-2020 06:00 PM #22
      Wheels for the RS are back from HRE today. I'm disgusted what it cost for me to ship these things out to them. Absolutely highway robbery....UPS charged me "surge pricing." Glad to have them back, and that HRE had much, much more reasonable shipping rates (25% as much!) back to me.

Anyway, after consulting with the design guy at HRE and looking at some samples, I decided to go with satin black. It's not matte, and it's not shiny. I think it is perfect. I already bought the appropriate TPMS, and now I need to make an appointment with the local tire store to get the tires mounted and balanced. After a lot of thought, I decided to go with PS4S on these wheels. I don't plan on tracking with this set, and the PS4S at street operating temps actually have better grip than the Cup 2s.

Cars
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      08-13-2020 08:35 PM #23
      Wheels for the RS are back from HRE today. I'm disgusted what it cost for me to ship these things out to them. Absolutely highway robbery....UPS charged me "surge pricing." Glad to have them back, and that HRE had much, much more reasonable shipping rates (25% as much!) back to me.

Anyway, after consulting with the design guy at HRE and looking at some samples, I decided to go with satin black. It's not matte, and it's not shiny. I think it is perfect. I already bought the appropriate TPMS, and now I need to make an appointment with the local tire store to get the tires mounted and balanced. After a lot of thought, I decided to go with PS4S on these wheels. I don't plan on tracking with this set, and the PS4S at street operating temps actually have better grip than the Cup 2s.

That's unfortunate you feel you got robbed on shipping, but I'm sure the finish is perfect. This is in no way an ad for anything I'm personally involved in, but I used dropshiplabels.com to ship a set of C5Z wheels for $50. Matt has helped me save a ton on various items. IIRC your GT3 RS has the light bronze looking wheels? Is there maybe a slim chance we could see them on the GTS at some point?
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

25. Member
      08-13-2020 09:03 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      That's unfortunate you feel you got robbed on shipping, but I'm sure the finish is perfect. This is in no way an ad for anything I'm personally involved in, but I used dropshiplabels.com to ship a set of C5Z wheels for $50. Matt has helped me save a ton on various items. IIRC your GT3 RS has the light bronze looking wheels? Is there maybe a slim chance we could see them on the GTS at some point?
      Beautiful car! I’m starting to get the bug for another 911 or 718 cayman GTS 4.0. I’m keeping my 997..love it too much and it’s in such great shape even though it’s just a c2. I swore I saw this car up in Huntsville..did you buy chance buy it from here? If not you have a clone here ha.

Cars
      09-08-2020 11:02 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      . IIRC your GT3 RS has the light bronze looking wheels? Is there maybe a slim chance we could see them on the GTS at some point?

Maayyyybe . The RS is 20/21" staggered fitment which is aggressive on a GT3 bodied car. I would have to get new rear tires, which would necessitate new front ones as well. I think the gold and blue would work well together though. The RS wheels have RS embossed in them, but if I actually own an RS as well is it posing?

Quote Originally Posted by aurora85 View Post
      Beautiful car! I’m starting to get the bug for another 911 or 718 cayman GTS 4.0. I’m keeping my 997..love it too much and it’s in such great shape even though it’s just a c2. I swore I saw this car up in Huntsville..did you buy chance buy it from here? If not you have a clone here ha.
      I didn't. I bought it private party in Jacksonville, Fl. I've kind of gotten the 718 GT4 bug. The dealer has a now unspoken-for spyder being delivered next month. It's gentian blue. They want me to drive it. I will The 991.2 GTS market has sort of exploded just like all other luxury goods in this super strange time we are living in. I could realistically make at least 10, but probably 15% on the blue car if I decided to sell it now. The problem is that I love it, and I won't ever find another one similar. I think I'm going to keep it for at least a year.

Moving on to the RS, I got my wheels on this past Friday. I absolutely love them, which is very good considering these are my first set of "big boy" wheels and after the money spent, I had better damn well think they are freakin' amazing . I went with PS4S given that these are the street setup. There is slightly less feel with the softer sidewalls, but the ride is a touch more compliant. I'm fine with it, but I honestly had no complaints about the ride of the car with the stock setup. The change to black is cool, and the car looks a lot meaner now. The techs and some of the salesmen came out when I arrived to grab the car to tell me how much more they all liked the look. Pleased with the final result.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast