Fourtitude.com - From SUV to Van ... we're back baby!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      RS3
      07-02-2020 06:52 PM #1
      So ... we had a 2018 VW Atlas SE w/ Tech and Rline package for the last 2+ years, I thought we'd get another 2021 Atlas but wife said she wants a van. Road trips, ease of opening doors, the creature comforts i.e. sliding doors, rear entertainment system, space and ease of moving around the cabin when she needs to tend to the baby. So I started the journey with trying to trade our Atlas with 6 payments in early and every Honda dealership said 23-24k where our payoff was $28k. I didn't want to carry negative equity into the next deal so I waited and reached out to a few VW dealerships to see who wants it.

While I was waiting I got a quote from Carvana and they came in at 26k. I thought wow, that's much better than KBB/NADA is showing. I told this to local dealership and they offered 27k to which I said Yes and gave them the car on Tuesday and $700 difference from our residual. We had every intent on getting a Odyseey with EX-L and RES, but then I found out that they don't come with LED headlights, that pushed me into the Touring/Elite category. I started looking and asking what we can get and found a few cars.

The Touring was with an MSRP of $46,180, we worked the deal and we got down to down to $38,700 along with first responder and loyalty incentives ($1k each). It was a good deal at 440/mo with TTL up front (1500 roughly). Then as it would happen the same dealership had 1 Elite with White exterior and mocha interior. I inquired if they were willing to sell theirs on the lot for a little less from the MSRP $48,540 and they reduced it down to 41,680 so roughly $7000 off, and I ended up putting $2k down to cover the slight increase in price and dealership lowered the price by another $500 down to $41,180. I was happy, wife was happy and we are at $483/mo with 2k down and all the available features. We picked it up 3 hours ago and we couldn't be happier.

I'm sure we'll be back into an SUV at some later time when the kids get bigger but this works best for us and we have a proper road trip vehicle with all the features we'd want (maybe even extra ... who needs a vacuum inside their car LOL).

Added bonus:

Costco giving us $500 for filling out a purchase survey with honda: https://www.costcoauto.com/save/Bran...keid=14&cmpc=1
      Our insurance dropped by $75 in 6 month period compared to the Atlas.

OLD RIDE:

NEW RIDE:

More pics:
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Xsg66fTc3ePnbyQ9

PS: if anyone needs rubber floor mats, tow hitch, or winter wheels for an Atlas LMK

TLDR: 2020 Elite Honda MSRP 48,540 gotten for $41,180 and $500 costco gift card. Atlas great, van much better for OUR lifestyle.
      Last edited by SCHWAB0; 07-03-2020 at 10:35 AM.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      07-02-2020 07:14 PM #2
      I'm a fan of the right tool for the job rather than forcing yourself to make something work.

Good job on the price.
      ಠ_ಠ

07-02-2020 07:30 PM #3
      Van life. Congratulations on the new ride. Looks super comfy.

Monthly payments are meaningless to me. Lease or finance? MF/APR? How long do you plan to keep it for? I know Honda tends not to do big discounts in general. But given the economy is in the ****ter I’m surprised you only got 15% discount. I take it they’re not desperate yet. It will be interesting to see what happens to pricing over the next 6-12 months as I’m looking for a new ride when my Alfa lease ends.

Cars
      RS3
      07-02-2020 11:01 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      I'm a fan of the right tool for the job rather than forcing yourself to make something work.

Good job on the price.
      For sure man, it'll be a much better family tool than the Atlas. Especially the moving inside cabin while she's tending to the kiddos.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Van life. Congratulations on the new ride. Looks super comfy.

Monthly payments are meaningless to me. Lease or finance? MF/APR? How long do you plan to keep it for? I know Honda tends not to do big discounts in general. But given the economy is in the ****ter I’m surprised you only got 15% discount. I take it they’re not desperate yet. It will be interesting to see what happens to pricing over the next 6-12 months as I’m looking for a new ride when my Alfa lease ends.
      I apologize, it's a lease.

36 term, 12k/year,
      MF 0.0013
      residual at 27k,

We generally keep them 2-3 years, I think this is the biggest discount I've seen on a 2020 yet, I'm sure there are going to be deals to be had, but I got a chance to get out of 4 1/2 payments of my Atlas and into something that's more feature laden, and they're not desperate yet. The 2021 vans are coming this fall and I'm sure the remainder are going to be sold at a huge discount. But to drive an elite for the price of an EXL that we priced out 2-3 months ago, is pretty decent. You'll be in for a treat, especially if you have a car to trade as the resale of used cars will be going up. There is a high demand and not enough supply for used cars ATM.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |

Cars
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      07-03-2020 07:12 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by SCHWAB0 View Post
      So ... we had a 2018 VW Atlas SE w/ Tech and Rline package for the last 2+ years, I thought we'd get another 2021 Atlas but wife said she wants a van. Road trips, ease of opening doors, the creature comforts i.e. sliding doors, rear entertainment system, space and ease of moving around the cabin when she needs to tend to the baby.

So I started the journey with trying to trade our Atlas with 6 payments in early and every Honda dealership said 23-24k where our payoff was $28k. I didn't want to carry negative equity into the next deal so I waited and reached out to a few VW dealerships to see who wants it. While I was waiting I got a quote from Carvana and they came in at 26k. I thought wow, that's much better than KBB/NADA is showing.

I told this to local dealership and they offered 27k to which I said Yes and gave them the car on Tuesday and $700 difference from our residual. We had every intent on getting a Odyseey with EX-L and RES, but then I found out that they don't come with LED headlights, that pushed me into the Touring/Elite category. I started looking and asking what we can get and found a few cars.

The Touring with MSRP 46,180 I got down to $38,700 with first responder and loyalty incentives. It was a good deal at 440/mo with TTL up front (1500 roughly). Then as it would happen the same dealership had 1 Elite with White exterior and mocha interior. I inquired as the MSRP 48,540 and we ended up at 41,680 so roughly $7000 off, and I ended up putting $2k down to cover the slight increase in price and dealership lowered the price by another $500 down to $41,180. I was happy, wife was happy and we are at $483/mo with 2k down and all the available features.

We picked it up 3 hours ago and we couldn't be happier. I'm sure we'll be back into an SUV at some later time when the kids get bigger but this works best for us and we have a proper road trip vehicle with all the features we'd want (maybe even extra ... who needs a vacuum inside their car LOL).
      Here are some paragraphs. I don't know how anyone can read a blob of text like that, my eyes literally can't do it.

Congrats on the van. If I HAD to get a minivan the Honda would definitely be my choice.

Cars
      RS3
      07-03-2020 10:32 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Here are some paragraphs. I don't know how anyone can read a blob of text like that, my eyes literally can't do it.

Congrats on the van. If I HAD to get a minivan the Honda would definitely be my choice.
      rekt. I'll update the OP

Cars
      '17 BMW i3 BEV, '16 BMW i3 BEV, '13 FiST
      07-03-2020 10:35 AM #7
      On Twitter, this is relevant for @ItsVanTime

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Cars
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      07-03-2020 12:14 PM #8
      rekt. I'll update the OP

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      07-03-2020 12:33 PM #9
      I mean, if you're going to get a van it better be a nice van. And that's about as nice as it gets.

Can you post some interior shots? I'm curious to see the color, as well as overall quality that's available these days. I'm sure these have come a long way since the last one I saw that was a 2010ish.

Also...... #VANLIFE

Cars
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      07-03-2020 12:41 PM #10
      but wife said she wants a van.
      and

wife was happy
      /

Cars
      1998 New Beetle. 2019 GSW
      07-03-2020 12:45 PM #11
      Congrats on the new van.

Cars
      Ram, Vette, 500
      07-03-2020 02:46 PM #12
      I see you're a man of culture as well.

Cars
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      07-03-2020 02:49 PM #13
      Congrats OP!

I can't argue with the superiority of a van when it comes to people/stuff hauling! My choice in that category would be a Sienna SE however. Just love the look - flared fenders, SO Japanese...I picture one with a set of Enkei RPF1's... But Odyssey is a close 2nd...love Honda!

Wife's 328i XDrive GT is paid off, gonna run it into the ground/or get rid of it when repairs become cost prohibitive (zero resale value - which is what you get when you buy the ugliest BMW!), but no problems so far.

Her next vehicle will likely be a GX...OR Civic Type R/Si. Her first car was a Civic Si & the nostalgia is strong! Plus, no kids yet so if that doesn't change we're definitely not going the safe/boring route! In hindsight, the 3GT was maybe too safe of a choice.

I do like the Atlas. Now that the 2.0T can be optioned with 4Motion it really has my eye. APR tune on that sounds nice. But again, we love Japanese cars, and GX update/new gen is likely not too far away...

What's next for your RS3? I have almost all Stage 2 parts in my garage, planning on getting the car in October/Nov, Tundra is almost paid off, can't wait!
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

07-03-2020 05:09 PM #14
      Nice Score! That’s a great lease price with not much down.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

16. 07-03-2020 05:18 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
      wtf?

anyway nice rig op...which vw dealer did you trade in to?

Cars
      a Metro pass.
      07-03-2020 05:39 PM #16
      Nice move, that is probably King of the Minivans in the US. Would love to hear more on spaciousness, seat comfort, ride comfort, features, etc. in comparison to the Atlas.
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Cars
      RS3
      07-03-2020 11:02 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      I mean, if you're going to get a van it better be a nice van. And that's about as nice as it gets.

Can you post some interior shots? I'm curious to see the color, as well as overall quality that's available these days. I'm sure these have come a long way since the last one I saw that was a 2010ish.

Also...... #VANLIFE
      It's in the link I posted above, but here's another shot. It's "mocha" and pictures make it seem more lighter than it is in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      and

/
      Amen brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
      Congrats on the new van.
      Thanks man, it's a blast!

I try

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Congrats OP!

I can't argue with the superiority of a van when it comes to people/stuff hauling! My choice in that category would be a Sienna SE however. Just love the look - flared fenders, SO Japanese...I picture one with a set of Enkei RPF1's... But Odyssey is a close 2nd...love Honda!

Wife's 328i XDrive GT is paid off, gonna run it into the ground/or get rid of it when repairs become cost prohibitive (zero resale value - which is what you get when you buy the ugliest BMW!), but no problems so far.

Her next vehicle will likely be a GX...OR Civic Type R/Si. Her first car was a Civic Si & the nostalgia is strong! Plus, no kids yet so if that doesn't change we're definitely not going the safe/boring route! In hindsight, the 3GT was maybe too safe of a choice.

I do like the Atlas. Now that the 2.0T can be optioned with 4Motion it really has my eye. APR tune on that sounds nice. But again, we love Japanese cars, and GX update/new gen is likely not too far away...

What's next for your RS3? I have almost all Stage 2 parts in my garage, planning on getting the car in October/Nov, Tundra is almost paid off, can't wait!
      Funny thing is that I was going to look at a Sienna but wife said she wanted a van like our old one (we had a 2015 EXL Honda for 6 months LOL). The Sienna's are nice for sure but I'm very partial to Honda. I was planning on getting the 2.0T SE 4mo with Tech but wife put a squabash on that real quick. That's awesome that your wife is an enthusiast and likes the faster cars. I'm keeping the RS3 longer than I thought I would. I have warranty and maintenance up until 50k, and i'm at 25k right now. I like it and even stock it's amazing. I was going to tune it and get another set of wheels but we're building a deck and all my play money went there .

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Nice Score! That’s a great lease price with not much down.

Chris
      When I first started this journey of getting the van, I had 3k negative equity in the Atlas, and an Honda EXL w/ RES was at $490/mo and 1500 down. Fast forward 2 weeks later, I rid of the Atlas for $700, and put $2k down and ended up with a car that's $8k more for less than the original car. I'm nuts people tell me and my "haggling".

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      wtf?

anyway nice rig op...which vw dealer did you trade in to?
      Went to Burnsville VW. Funny thing is that I could have gotten more if I'd sold it back to Brookdale VW but it was hassle to go up there ... generally I'd slap myself for saying this but honestly it would have been too much.

Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Nice move, that is probably King of the Minivans in the US. Would love to hear more on spaciousness, seat comfort, ride comfort, features, etc. in comparison to the Atlas.
      It's amazing honestly. We took it on a 150 mile trip today and it was amazing. First and foremost, the cooled seats are freaking amazing. Makes road trip waaay more enjoyable. The seats are very comfortable, the ride is smooth. The powertrain and transmission were smooth and on cruise 0 effort. The fact we could pop in a movie and have the kids watch it while we're going somewhere is nice and sure a gimmick in today's world with cell phones and tablets but we generally haven't given the kids the tablets in the car. Now the car comes with a wifi hotspot, so I'm sure that'll change. More entertainment features with the tablets than the built in TVs but its really nice to have.

Comparisons to the Atlas, well this is like a specialty tool for people with kids, the way the door open, the room, the comfort inside and you can move around the cabin with ease betwen the middle and rear seas if you remove the middle seat section. The power is adequate and more smooth than the Atlas, the transmission in the Atlas would struggle a bit to decide which gear to be in. Our Atlas was an SE w/ tech so it had all the techno gizmos as this thing and I'd argue they're easier to use on teh VW than the Honda. But after a few weeks I'm sure we'll get used to it. I liked the fact the trunk was higher in the Atlas but overall this is a much better fit for us. We had a van before and we compromised on cost, space, and utility based on personal likes vs what we needed. SUVs are jack of all trades, masters of none. This is a master at being a family hauler. Period. If there's other specifics, let me know .. I'll gladly share our experience.

PS: We're taking this thing to Florida mid August, so it'll be the ultimate test .

Cars
      Ram, Vette, 500
      07-03-2020 11:14 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      wtf?
      Its a meme from the anime Arakawa Under the Bridge, where the last samurai responds with that line to the compliment that he liked his topknot hairstyle even though its considered unfashionable by most. In this case, minivans are out of fashion compared to SUVs by the mainstream that lack our refined tastes.

Cars
      RS3
      07-06-2020 11:56 PM #19
      Its a meme from the anime Arakawa Under the Bridge, where the last samurai responds with that line to the compliment that he liked his topknot hairstyle even though its considered unfashionable by most. In this case, minivans are out of fashion compared to SUVs by the mainstream that lack our refined tastes.
      minivans out of fashion? or just lost in the sea of countless cuv/suvs. You know they're cresting 50k Jesus H, people might as well get something with AWD/4WD at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk