Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      07-12-2020 11:06 PM #51
      From what Iíve read, if the DME goes bad youíll have a no-start.

Iíve read some people have had really good results from switching to Megasquirt but itís a pretty big project (need to add some sensors to the engine etc)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

07-13-2020 09:36 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Did it have black Fuchs? I'd love to think she's still breathing
      If it makes you feel better... yes

I honestly didn't look at the wheels - I was enjoying the view / shocked to see a 944 / giving the driver a thumbs up. This was suburban Chicago, if that helps.

Cars
      Two 1987 944s 16v I’ve memorized the parts list
      07-15-2020 02:39 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      From what Iíve read, if the DME goes bad youíll have a no-start.

Iíve read some people have had really good results from switching to Megasquirt but itís a pretty big project (need to add some sensors to the engine etc)
      No a bad DME can cause exactly what he is seeing but itís not where Iíd start. Iíd start with the distributor, then check the rails, injectors, and vacuum lines. All that stuff in that area takes a beating and a leak will cause a problem. While youíre in there:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-21.htm

Another thing that can cause an issue is the O2 sensor tap near the rear of the engine on the passenger side, it sticks straight up. This snaps open near the block due to road vibration. Easy to weld it back in place; if itís broken you get some of these symptoms.

If you suspect a DME get a working one from a second car to test. It helps to own a second 944s, so you see where Iím going here. Our 16v DMEs are rare and you can never find one when you need it (see also stock air-boxes).
      I decided to calculate the actual cost of ownership in 3 years and 0 miles driven(maybe 2-3 miles pushed) the 951 cost me $3695.21(maintenance parts). If I was a betting men, I would bet that this is far from the total this 951 will cost me. (PawaK_2001)

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Good. Sometimes the only way to deal with knuckleheads is to have the lawyers duke it out.

Cars
      '87 Porsche 944S, '87 Audi 80 1.9E, '10 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ecoboost
      07-15-2020 03:22 AM #54
      Distributor has been swapped already, rails, injects and vac lines have been checked as well and are fine.

I actually found the fault yesterday.

Day before yesterday, I actually went and took apart the DME to see if I could spot any obvious flaws and didn't see anything. Also checked the NTC sensor. Nothing. Yesterday I went to check the vac lines again. I removed some hoses and moved all the cables at the back of the engine out of the way and was trying to have a look around there with a mirror when all of a sudden I spot a plug just hanging around, connected to nothing.

It was the plug for the TPS. I have no idea how it got loose. I suspect when I moved the cables out of the way to remove the two sensors for the clutch job that I might have accidentally lossened it and it possibly fell out when driving. Can't really think of any other explanation.

Plugged it back in, rock solid idle, car pulls smoothly, all seems well.

Let's see for how long.
      '87 Porsche 944S - make flip up lights great again!
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E
      '10 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost
      Instagram: @bastienbochmann

Cars
      07-15-2020 03:37 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr.AK View Post
      Distributor has been swapped already, rails, injects and vac lines have been checked as well and are fine.

I actually found the fault yesterday.

Day before yesterday, I actually went and took apart the DME to see if I could spot any obvious flaws and didn't see anything. Also checked the NTC sensor. Nothing. Yesterday I went to check the vac lines again. I removed some hoses and moved all the cables at the back of the engine out of the way and was trying to have a look around there with a mirror when all of a sudden I spot a plug just hanging around, connected to nothing.

It was the plug for the TPS. I have no idea how it got loose. I suspect when I moved the cables out of the way to remove the two sensors for the clutch job that I might have accidentally lossened it and it possibly fell out when driving. Can't really think of any other explanation.

Plugged it back in, rock solid idle, car pulls smoothly, all seems well.

Let's see for how long.
      I think youíre youíre good I was wondering about the TPS, actually. I was still reading. Throttle. Of course.
      I decided to calculate the actual cost of ownership in 3 years and 0 miles driven(maybe 2-3 miles pushed) the 951 cost me $3695.21(maintenance parts). If I was a betting men, I would bet that this is far from the total this 951 will cost me. (PawaK_2001)

Good. Sometimes the only way to deal with knuckleheads is to have the lawyers duke it out.

Cars
      2018 Atlas SEL R-Line, 2019 330xi M-Sport
      07-15-2020 05:40 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d...147335207.html

62k miles, second owner, moving and asking $8500 obo.

You're welcome.

Dude never answered emails... my brother tried contacting him after you posted the link.

Now the listing is gone... oh well. Probably better that way.

Cars
      07-15-2020 11:36 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Dude never answered emails... my brother tried contacting him after you posted the link.

Now the listing is gone... oh well. Probably better that way.
      Unless you REALLY love 944s, it is. I actually think you should never pay much over five grand for these cars, because
      they constantly need something.

One year almost exactly on my red car:

Air con new compressor
      Wheels - lock bolts drilled
      New Clutch master and slave
      New Oil pressure sender
      Fixed center console
      Fixed rear enclosure light
      Fixed rear defogger
      brake fluid reservoir
      Passenger side window
      Windshield washer tub
      Hood dent
      Front Fogs
      new tires Direzza 102s
      Small crack in windshield (blame AZ for this)
      Timing belt and seals
      balance shaft housing seals
      Upper valve cover
      Radiator cap
      Rear deck air shocks
      H4 headlight swap Ecodes
      Bumper plugs (okay you donít need Edd China for these)
      Fixed Aspen Radio
      Wipers 18 inches
      Second key
      New Mats
      windshield fluid needed a t plug and a new nozzle
      Windows trim Gasket on passenger side
      Rear hatch seal
      Oil change 157,600 4000 miles Rotella t4 15w40
      Air guide for air box
      New rims again rechromed
      New radio pccm from Porsche
      New from speakers ts a 4612 Pioneer
      New knob hvac
      Upper coolant hoses

And I need to do the ac/gen belt to get it back on the road.

The plus is I do have about 5k of weekend driving in it, mountains and lake driving,
      so I have gotten some good miles on it. This last week when I popped a belt without
      a replacement on hand was the first time itís been off the road in a long while.

And if you look at it the cars has progressed from mission critical items to more
      general maintenance - any car can need a leaky coolant hose in AZ in the summer
      and a belt is normal although I seem to remember I changed it
      and retightened the idler pulley last year. But -and I tell people all the time -you need
      to realize even in very nice examples thereís a huge amount of work up front in these
      cars. Iíve realized after my old turbo that I truly love them, so itís easier to accept..

..the last six months with my blue car....

Locks are manual pulled fuse 8 this is still pending central locking
      Bumper dots
      Door card on drivers side window controls
      Working on paint corrections
      Wheel refinishing and centers
      Windshield delamination fixed
      rear hatch trim paint
      battery cover
      Dyed shift boot
      H4 Headlights and adjustment
      Fixed Leaky power steering pump and lines (although Iím back at this again this weekend)
      Lock seal
      Clutch
      Oil change to t4 15-w40
      Dme and vacuum leak
      Check alternator and battery
      Rear axle cover
      Clutch master cylinder
      Balance shaft housing seals
      Manifold seals
      Pulled bulb Brake warning (this is a cluster error I still have to figure out)
      Fixed door card
      Hatch glass seal and set and adjust
      Rear carpets interim solution sorted
      Turn signal cancel
      Horn
      windshield tub and the little tap nozzles installed
      Little trunk circle grommet around keyhole
      Under hood cover water channel 944-572-063-08-01C-OEM
      Window seals front around the front windows
      Air dam
      Trunk seal
      Seat belts
      Snorkel for airbox brilliant fix
      Pump, Rubber hose and pumps windshield
      Top power steering line
      O2 Tap reweld
      Button for aircon resolder
      Windshield washers test and finalize
      Front Strut Mounts
      Yet Another power steering pump
      Power steering pump reservoir
      Cleaned fuel gauge contacts
      Tightened fuel sender seal and new sender
      New steering rack

Unfortunately this car, which is very beautiful on the outside, fights me at every turn
      at only 86,000 miles. I thought at one point it was ahead of where the red car was
      at the same point, but the power steering has been a nightmare on this car. I am seriously
      considering converting it to a manual rack. That new rack I just put on it did not solve its
      steering issue, so Iím tempted to just buy the conversion kit and be done with it. Iíll just
      save that rack for the red car because sure as Stuttgart is still standing, it will need it.

My blue car is the essence of why you find very nice low mileage examples
      of these cars everywhere where the previous owner hasnít really driven them. Unless you
      are utterly committed you will sh$tcan a car like this very early on and let someone else
      deal with it. I even knew that passing on it was a good idea when I bought it but it was
      and still is a pretty car. Thatís how they sucker you in, 944s.
      Last edited by fbobberts; 07-15-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Cars
      07-15-2020 07:07 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by fbobberts View Post
      Unless you REALLY love 944s, it is. I actually think you should never pay much over five grand for these cars, because
      While I can't agree on the price, I agree with the general sentiment. Even though they have often been labeled the poor man's Porsche, they're 30 year old sports cars from the era where electronics were starting to really appear in cars but were far from perfect yet. And some of the maintenance definitely has a Porsche price tag attached. If you want a classic that's not going to drive you up the walls, you should probably consider something else unless you're a stubborn idiot. I know which category I fall into. That said, there are definitely cars out there that are way harder to live with.

Regarding my comment about the price - you do not find 944s for under 5 grand here in Germany any more. You can sometimes still find 924s for that kind of money (and just to tell you how much of an idiot I am, let me tell you that I'm constantly thinking about adding a cheap 924 to the garage so my 944 doesn't feel lonely ). You can find a 944 in need of TLC around roughly 7 - 12k in Ä for an 8v. Good ones are about 13 grand and up. Mine was about 18 grand.

My blue car is the essence of why you find very nice low mileage examples
      of these cars everywhere where the previous owner hasnít really driven them. Unless you
      are utterly committed you will sh$tcan a car like this very early on and let someone else
      deal with it. I even knew that passing on it was a good idea when I bought it but it was
      and still is a pretty car. Thatís how they sucker you in, 944s.
      True that. They lure you in with their good looks, sweeten the deal by their great driving potential and then - whoops - you've fallen straight into their trap

Anyways, here's a pic of both my '87s together. Walking into my garage is a bit like time travel, right now. I love it.

Last edited by Dr.AK; 07-15-2020 at 07:13 PM.
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E

Cars
      07-16-2020 01:02 AM #59
      Neither of my cars is as nice as yours. The blue is the closest, though:

Naturally the red right now is the better driver, thatís the way of the 944. Thereís a liveliness in that car I havenít quite replicated in the blue. Might be the lowering and Koniís. It is getting there, though, sure better than when I got it.

The Hagerty price for our cars in decent shape is about $8,600, with nice class two examples closer to where your at, just over $20,000. Thereís a lot of wiggle room in that range. I know thatís what the market says, but to me knowing you will
      throw a minimum of $3,500 in parts to do the clutch belts seals brake slave and water pump and maybe tires that means one of these gets to be a fifteen thousand dollar car very quickly. Iím not sure how many people realize this. It part of the reason I would pass on 8 valves, that sounds cold, but itís the same tab for less fun. A turbo is more fun, but they just hate the heat here in Phoenix.

I dug out a picture of a nice 924s I think an 87 I saw earlier this year. Very nice car. Even nicer in the metal.

I do have to ask, canít the Audi make the Porsche feel less lonely? They are from the same line in Neckarsulm, no? Or will only another transaxle do? If so, I might pick another, and you see where Iím going....

There is no substitute.
      Last edited by fbobberts; 07-16-2020 at 01:20 AM.

Cars
      07-17-2020 07:11 PM #60
      The Audi and the Porsche get along quite well They're even the same year as well.

A 928 is a dream of mine, but they are climbing out of my budget range for the time being.

I'm happy to report that the car currently runs better than ever. Seems all the little things I looked at and cleaned up when looking for the fault (that turned out to be the disconnected TPS) have had a bit of a positive effect. It pulls so good and just begs for you to rev it out. I love it. This engine feels like a true sports car engine, it just wants to run and run and run.

Popped round to a friend today as I wanted to test a new camera lens and so we went on a shoot with his W126. Those pics will pop up on my Instagram soon-ish, if you want to have a look.

And then when I went home I actually spotted a 944 for sale!!! But it turned out to be a way overpriced car with some mods that make me question it's history.

Guess the price? Huh? What's that? You're probably way off...

Condition was a bit so-so. Pretty meh paintjob and some of the standard 924/944/968 problems, like de-laminating rear hatch glass:

In comparison how the rear glass looks on mine:

Only premium unleaded

Sadly the hatch glass is a common problem and all of these cars will sooner or later develop it when exposed to sunlight for most of their lifes. I hope that my hatch will stay as pristine as it is for years to come as the car has been garaged most of it's life.

And here's a shot of filling up later tonight:

Last edited by Dr.AK; 07-17-2020 at 07:16 PM.
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E

Cars
      07-18-2020 05:46 PM #61
      The 944 Simulator (by LWW)

This was published by a user named LWW in 2008 and it is quite true:

Try this for a good 944 simulator.

1 - Take your (Miata, Tc, Toyota 86) and fill a jar full of slips of paper with 1 for each electrical function on the car.

2 - At the start of each drive pick 1 from the jar and for that day that electrical function must be disabled. At the end of the drive put the slip back in the jar. Repeat with the next drive.

3 - Each time you come to a stop throw a $10.00 bill out the window.

At the end of a month you should have a pretty good feel for how owning a 944 will feel.

He’s not wrong but I would add if you hear a noise in the car you should write it down on a slip of paper. The next time you drive you flip a coin and if it’s heads you pretend it’s gone while if it’s tails you pretend it is MUCH LOUDER.

It’s hard to really approximate the 944 experience in a modern car because there’s so many ways for modern cars to tell you they aren’t quite right.

A 944 however certainly cannot be arsed to explain to it’s driver it’s problems past a big giant red exclamation mark that shows up right in your line of sight in the binnacle. So you could tape one of those exclamation marks on to the top of your speedometer for ‘80s Porsche period color.

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      07-19-2020 01:16 AM #62

This was published by a user named LWW in 2008 and it is quite true:

Try this for a good 944 simulator.

1 - Take your (Miata, Tc, Toyota 86) and fill a jar full of slips of paper with 1 for each electrical function on the car.

2 - At the start of each drive pick 1 from the jar and for that day that electrical function must be disabled. At the end of the drive put the slip back in the jar. Repeat with the next drive.

3 - Each time you come to a stop throw a $10.00 bill out the window.

At the end of a month you should have a pretty good feel for how owning a 944 will feel.

Heís not wrong but I would add if you hear a noise in the car you should write it down on a slip of paper. The next time you drive you flip a coin and if itís heads you pretend itís gone while if itís tails you pretend it is MUCH LOUDER.

Itís hard to really approximate the 944 experience in a modern car because thereís so many ways for modern cars to tell you they arenít quite right.

A 944 however certainly cannot be arsed to explain to itís driver itís problems past a big giant red exclamation mark that shows up right in your line of sight in the binnacle. So you could tape one of those exclamation marks on to the top of your speedometer for Ď80s Porsche period color.
      Having worked at a dealer in the parts department in Ď89-Ď90 itís hard to argue with this!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      07-22-2020 08:13 PM #63
      Iíve been told in pure form, a haiku must have a season in the last stanza, so...

I broke my sunroof
      Now my coupe is wide open
      Hard rain gonna fall

Going to do some wrenching, Iíll post pics.

Cars
      07-26-2020 09:33 AM #64
      It's funny cause it's true

But mine is running good at the moment!

Yesterday was a good day. First, I met up with some fellow transaxle owners on a rest stop at the Autobahn A44. Three 944 8v N/As, a 924 and a 924S, well and my 944S obviously.

Then we drove on and crossed the border to Belgium. At Lac de la Gileppe we met up with some others with a MGB GT and a 356 SC. They had prepared a nice route for us, a wild roller coaster through the Ardennes and specifically the countryside surrounding Spa-Francorchamps. The roads were quite empty so we were free to enjoy the curves. Belgium has some really nice driving roads for sure, although the surface on some of them is a bit questionable.

We stopped for fuel first thing after we headed out. Transaxle takeover at the tiny Total station in Jalhay.

Then we went on the first leg of the cruise and ended up at the gates to Spa. The gates were closed but we could hear some cars blasting around.

Headed out again and stopped at a different section of Spa from where we could see some of the track through the fences. Sadly they were all closed due to the current situation, but we at least got a glimpse of what was going on. Some kind of Porsche Experience thing with a lot of extreme track prepped 911s blasting round the track. Sadly I wasn't able to grab any pictures.

Headed out again after a while.

Next stop, Le Herou for a picnic.

Next up, we headed to Luxembourg to fill up again, as fuel is quite cheap there for our European standards. I filled up on some 95 octane for 1.08Ä per liter - that's about 4,77$ per gallon. Cue another gas station takeover.

Headed back out onto the road, back into Belgium and back in the direction of Spa. On the way, another quick break at the viewpoint 'Zum Buren'.

Then back to Spa, where we took some pictures on a left over part of the track from the 50s.

After that, we all headed back home. All in, I drove about 500kms yesterday and the 944S ran without trouble. In fact, the more I pushed the car, the happier it was. The car just wants to run and run and run. And it absolutely flies through corners. It's absolutely amazing. It's not a very powerful car but as long as you keep the revs up, it's one of the most capable affordable cars for curvy roads that I can imagine. None of the others had any problems as well and we all had a blast, so I'd count it as a very successful day in these troubled times in 2020.
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E

16. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      07-26-2020 11:03 PM #65
      A nice drive through The Ardennes following a 356SC? That sounds delightful!

Cars
      BRZ
      07-27-2020 05:34 PM #66
      Awesome trip and photos

Cars
      08-01-2020 07:37 AM #67
      Thanks guys! It really was a blast. We're already planning our next trip soon.

In the meantime, I submitted the run through the Ardennes to the I Am The Speedhunters program and got accepted! They posted up my full coverage today, a nice surprise to wake up to!

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/07/...-with-friends/
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E

19. 08-01-2020 08:37 AM #68
      This thread makes me miss my old car 87 944 turbo/LS1 swap. Want a reliable easy to maintain 944? Swap the engine. I daily drove mine for 9 years with no more than basic maintenance. I did put in a manual sport rack (there are three different manual racks available) but it was no harder to drive with 17 in 225 front tires. My wife could drive the car and never complained about heavy steering. Most of the issues with the power steering are leaks some depower the steering but it is the wrong ratio to be manual. Not sure if it is better alternator, new wiring harness or better grounds but I never had any electrical issues.
      2010 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      08-01-2020 08:53 AM #69

One year almost exactly on my red car:
      Geez, and I thought that repairs & maintenance on my two Scirocco 16V was bad!

Searching for a new toy a few years ago, I looked at the 944; I was surprised by how low cost they were (now increasing) but also by how molested they often were. There are few LS V8 converted examples on the internet.

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupť heaven
      08-01-2020 06:01 PM #70

In the meantime, I submitted the run through the Ardennes to the I Am The Speedhunters program and got accepted! They posted up my full coverage today, a nice surprise to wake up to!

Waw, what a trip!! That sure took me back.

I will return someday and I will bring something with me. Whether that would be a Capri, Scirocco, Corrado, or ...

Any chance of repeating such an event with some elderly lady who suffers from homesickness?

I used to travel those roads in a Mk2 Capri Ghia, Mk2 Golf CL, and a Mk2 Jetta TX. Either by myself of in events with the Capri Drivers Belgium or the Capri Frenn Letzebuerg.

Ok, I'm now pretend driving around in MŽllerdall...using google maps.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a CitroŽn.ô

Cars
      08-02-2020 03:50 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by 948 View Post
      This thread makes me miss my old car 87 944 turbo/LS1 swap. Want a reliable easy to maintain 944? Swap the engine. I daily drove mine for 9 years with no more than basic maintenance. I did put in a manual sport rack (there are three different manual racks available) but it was no harder to drive with 17 in 225 front tires. My wife could drive the car and never complained about heavy steering. Most of the issues with the power steering are leaks some depower the steering but it is the wrong ratio to be manual. Not sure if it is better alternator, new wiring harness or better grounds but I never had any electrical issues.
      @Purist alert.

Hmm. Well there’s a guy on YouTube that did a L-77 swap on a 944s2 coupe which made me smh, because that is a rare and desirable 944 although not so much anymore after that swap. He had to remove the rack too, and the AC, and I heard his final demo drive and ehhh, doesn’t do it for me. It didn’t sound good or look like it handled well, and that’s the 944 experience. It seemed more like a 944 with a truck engine. 944s have a distinctive sound and feel and a pushrod v8 to me is not part of that. Ymmv.

He had posted that he really didn’t like the 2.5s and 3.0s and those engines were old and poor and needed a lot of help. Maybe. Help arrived in my old turbo in the form of a Lindsay kit and custom headers, a modified tial wastegate and chip and mapping, and a magnaflow exhaust. I was able to dial up 22 pounds of boost and about 300 HP, all still within the basic 951 envelope. Everything still worked, sort of, in the way these things do in the turbo cars. It also still got 22 mpg while dialing up five second 0-60s and was as shifty as a mini. It could and did humiliate modern traffic.

(The fuel economy thing to me IS important. I know they are toys to a point but Porsche considered this important back in the day. My ‘79 911 got more than 20 mpg. Both my 944S do better than 22 mpg. I think that’s awesome. Putting a thirsty v8 goes against the eightiesness of the car.)

(You are g-d right about 944 power steering though I finally got mine To work right three pumps all three lines and a new rack later, there’s a good reason why many late 944 Owners go for manual rack conversions. You have to ask if ps is worth nearly two grand in parts to fix.)

A swapped 944 to a small block to me is an interesting technical challenge up to the day you roll it out, whereas a stock example or modified stock example is a representation of what the car was about in its day, there to experience for every day. You can read period reviews of the vehicle and determine for yourself if what they said was true. The swap project will be somewhat interesting to the short block crowd and not very interesting to the Porsche crowd, and they’ll be the ones most interested in old 944s. For an 8v? Okay. For a turbo? Restomod it and it will be worth more.

Off my soapbox. Ymmv.

23. 08-02-2020 04:23 AM #72
      To OP and others keeping these old German cars alive, you are all doing the lord's work! Keep on!

My cousin owned a 944 and it was such a lovely driving experience, it all felt very well balanced and still a lot of fun without having to do crazy speeds.

Cars
      08-02-2020 05:31 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Waw, what a trip!! That sure took me back.

I will return someday and I will bring something with me. Whether that would be a Capri, Scirocco, Corrado, or ...

Any chance of repeating such an event with some elderly lady who suffers from homesickness?

I used to travel those roads in a Mk2 Capri Ghia, Mk2 Golf CL, and a Mk2 Jetta TX. Either by myself of in events with the Capri Drivers Belgium or the Capri Frenn Letzebuerg.

Ok, I'm now pretend driving around in MŽllerdall...using google maps.
      You're more than welcome

@Purist alert.

Hmm. Well thereís a guy on YouTube that did a L-77 swap on a 944s2 coupe which made me smh, because that is a rare and desirable 944 although not so much anymore after that swap. He had to remove the rack too, and the AC, and I heard his final demo drive and ehhh, doesnít do it for me. It didnít sound good or look like it handled well, and thatís the 944 experience. It seemed more like a 944 with a truck engine. 944s have a distinctive sound and feel and a pushrod v8 to me is not part of that. Ymmv.

He had posted that he really didnít like the 2.5s and 3.0s and those engines were old and poor and needed a lot of help. Maybe. Help arrived in my old turbo in the form of a Lindsay kit and custom headers, a modified tial wastegate and chip and mapping, and a magnaflow exhaust. I was able to dial up 22 pounds of boost and about 300 HP, all still within the basic 951 envelope. Everything still worked, sort of, in the way these things do in the turbo cars. It also still got 22 mpg while dialing up five second 0-60s and was as shifty as a mini. It could and did humiliate modern traffic.

(The fuel economy thing to me IS important. I know they are toys to a point but Porsche considered this important back in the day. My Ď79 911 got more than 20 mpg. Both my 944S do better than 22 mpg. I think thatís awesome. Putting a thirsty v8 goes against the eightiesness of the car.)

(You are g-d right about 944 power steering though I finally got mine To work right three pumps all three lines and a new rack later, thereís a good reason why many late 944 Owners go for manual rack conversions. You have to ask if ps is worth nearly two grand in parts to fix.)

A swapped 944 to a small block to me is an interesting technical challenge up to the day you roll it out, whereas a stock example or modified stock example is a representation of what the car was about in its day, there to experience for every day. You can read period reviews of the vehicle and determine for yourself if what they said was true. The swap project will be somewhat interesting to the short block crowd and not very interesting to the Porsche crowd, and theyíll be the ones most interested in old 944s. For an 8v? Okay. For a turbo? Restomod it and it will be worth more.

Off my soapbox. Ymmv.
      I actually quite agree. A LS swap is interesting from a technical standpoint and while I do love a good V8, I just feel like it does not match the car. At all. Honestly, if I ever were to do an engine swap in one of these, I'd very likely go with a VW 1.8T. It's been done before and they are pretty easy to make good power figures.
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E

Cars
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      08-02-2020 06:39 AM #74
      Great pics and story.

26. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      08-02-2020 08:20 AM #75

Thatís a nice write up!

I actually quite agree. A LS swap is interesting from a technical standpoint and while I do love a good V8, I just feel like it does not match the car. At all. Honestly, if I ever were to do an engine swap in one of these, I'd very likely go with a VW 1.8T. It's been done before and they are pretty easy to make good power figures.
      I agree as well. The 944 itself doesnít jibe with a raucous American V8. It simply doesnít match the car on a fundamental level. Another engine would seemingly suit it better, and the 1.8t wouldnít be a bad choice. Iíve heard of a VR6 being used, though it may be a bit heavy. It is shorter, so perhaps the balance wouldnít be thrown off too much. I could see some Japanese engines fitting the character of the car reasonably well, even if it would be heretical to some.

I think if I had to choose an American engine my first thought would be a Coyote, but thatís a wide and presumably heavy engine. Of course a 911 engine has famously been stuffed into one, so perhaps width isnít too much of a problem. 🤔 I canít think of a Suitable American 4 or V6 off the top of my head.
      Last edited by Air and water do mix; 08-02-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast