VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Replacement Clutch Kits??

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  _Rich 
#1 ·
So at 77k I added the apr stage 1 tune to my 13 cc and I made maybe 2 pulls and now my clutch is slipping, hella fun. I have been looking around and am not sure what clutch Kits to replace it with. My question is for those that have an upgraded clutch on their 02q to a puck style clutch, how has it affected daily driving? Alternatively if you upgraded to something like this https://www.ecstuning.com/b-south-bend-clutch-parts/stage-3-daily-clutch-kit/ktsifssokt/ have you liked it, has it held up to the additional power. I’m leaning towards a pick style because I’ll probably swap a ko4 or bigger at some point.

#2 · (Edited)
Not only are most puck style clutches overkill for K04 and even modest BT upgrades but they would also be horrendous for daily driving. The South Bend stage 3 daily kit, on the other, hand is actually one of the best options available that has a balance of substantial holding power for K04 and modest sized BTs without sacrificing reasonable driveability and longevity. As far as aftermarket clutches go South Bend is a top brand, no question about it. The only better options are made by Sachs who make both OEM but also upgraded clutches under the "Sachs Race Engineering" (SRE) division. They make some disc clutch options and some puck options. Again, I wouldn't buy a clutch style for daily use but if they have disc options that suit your goals then consider them.

If you want to read a a lot of in-depth technical info on clutch selection factors then checkout my build thread post #6.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...fy-Commuter-Sleeper-amp-Weekend-Track-Warrior

#3 ·
Great build. Thank you for compiling all the clutch information into one place for me to go over. You've now got me leaning towards the RSR clutch, but did you reuse the factory flywheel, a new oem flywheel or the Sachs flywheel? I couldn't find which one you used in your post.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'm glad it was helpful. I re-read the section myself (it's been awhile since I posted it) and, while I did find one mention in there about which flywheel I use, I am glad I re-read it because there are a few other things I realized I would like to add to the post, so thanks for leading me to re-read it! I'm actually currently working on significant overhauls to many posts in the build thread that I initially just didn't dive into as much technical depth as I should/could have. So far such posts include the post on tuning, the post on intakes, some of the suspension related material, and maybe a few other things. I'll add the clutch post to the list. Don't worry, the changes I realized I want to make to the clutch post are mostly inconsequential stuff that's just me being perfectionistic, it wont change anything I said about the RSR or honestly anything I think would matter to you. The post overhauls are not finished yet so if you want to get the greatest amount of info on those subjects hold off on reading those posts if you haven't already. I'll post an update on the thread when they are up so if you comment or subscribe to the thread you'll get a notification when I update them.

That said, the flywheel I use is the DMF of the Mk6 Golf R. It is very similar to the flywheel that came with my car but slightly stronger. The same will go for you if you happen to have a 2.0T FSI / TSI with the 02M / 02Q trans. Considering how much you read through it's certainly understandable if you missed it, it was kind of a needle in a haystack. The only place where it is prominently mentioned is post #1 in the mod list itself; when in doubt, that list is very thorough so it is a good quick reference.

If you decide against the RSR for reasons I assume would have to do with the fact that it retains the DMF, I would recommend leaning towards the SBC stage 3 daily. I believe that is the best, most comparable alternative that uses a SMF. For what it's worth, I have had my RSR for 4.5 years now (2.5 of which have been with BT) and I have beat the living **** out of it, including track days... neither it nor the Golf R DMF are showing any signs of issues so far and I strongly believe they have plenty more left in them. Now that I've remove my balance shafts and have crazy stiff mounts I wish I had a SMF because the subtlety of the DMF no longer matters, but I'm gonna let this RSR kit w/ Golf R DMF last as long as it wants to before I make any changes. The SBC stage 3 daily may very well be what I move to when that day comes. There was another option I had on my mind (DKM twin disc setup) which I was considering for the future (and which is what I teased in my post) but I've since ruled that one out based on more recent unfavorable info I've found about that option and also the fact that I no longer plan to push as much power as I used to think I would some day so the twin disc setup is irrelevant.

#5 ·
I looked right past the first post and went straight to post 6 lol. I went back and read the first post and saw where I overlooked.

Right now, I'm just having a hard time deciding between the RSR with the Sachs DMF or the Southbend Stage3 Daily SMF. Yep its a 2.0T TSI with the 02Q. Everything you've said about the RSR kit has made me a believer, the quality and longevity are the big selling points for me. I'd like to minimize NVH because it is my daily and it will most likely never see a track. You mentioning that you've had the RSR for years, and a few years with a BT and you track your car, that just speaks to the reliability I'm looking for because I enjoy driving very spiritedly.

I'll probably add slighter stiffer mounts but I doubt I'll go for anything crazy stiff or removing balance shafts at any point so the subtlety of the DMF is still relevant for me. The price for either is nearly the same, but the reliability you've seen from the RSR has me sold because I don't want to buy or replace the clutch for as long as possibly can

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah since the RSR is basically a collection of uprated OEM parts it's going to be about as reliable and long-lived as they come. Your assessment and reasoning are all spot on. The only thing you have to gain from the South Bend route is the SMF and its only advantages are that it is lighter (engine revs quicker, hangs less on decel) and that it doesn't have 2 moving parts making up the disc that have some twist between them, which means the uptake when you engage 1st gear and take off is more direct/less vague with the SMF than with the DMF. That connection and grab feels instant and the movement goes straight to the trans immediately. Also the SMF is technically more reliable since good ones pretty much can't fail. A DMF is eventually going to fail, it's just a matter of when. At this rate I don't see any reason to suspect the Golf R DMF will fail any time soon so it seems pretty reliable to me. Still technically less reliable than a good SMF though. At the end of the day the DMF is your double-edged sword. You get less NVH but the chance that the DMF might fail before the clutch does. Only you can weigh that cost:benefit ratio for yourself. Keep in mind even if the SMF is more or less failure-proof for all intents and purposes of most cars, I rather doubt the SB clutch disc itself will last any longer than the RSR. As good as SB typically is that just isn't very likely. To me, that slightly dampens the otherwise positive prospects of the "immortal" SMF.

Lots of food for thought, it's a tough decision! When I was going through this I practically gave myself anxiety pouring over all the minutiae but in the end I just had to make a decision. I think they are both good decisions but so far I can only recommend the RSR from personal experience. I think based on your description it is probably the slightly better decision because you're in pretty much the same mindset that I was when I made the decision. Whereas, now I have slightly different goals and a different mindset which is why the SB would be more attractive to me now.

#9 ·
Been awhile since I touched this thread, but I eventually got the clutch in and now that the break in period is over and I’m back on summer tires, clutch is great it feels just like the stock clutch except handles the additional torque. The tune and the clutch are what would’ve welcomed from the factory. I’m happy I didn’t get a single mass flywheel kit, after all it’s a cc that’ll never see a track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.