VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Locked transmission? any ideas or experience?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Reesescupsftw 
#1 ·
Its been 1 months since I had my timing chain done. About 3 weeks ago I starting hearing a faint whinning noise during acceleration and declaration, and as you get to higher speeds the whinning became a little louder but still faint.

Took it back to the shop and had them diagnose it. They concluded it was my angle gear/transfer case and just needed to be topped off. The noise persisted even after they topped it off. Told me to keep on eye on it, see if it leaks. If so they will replace it.

Well a week and a half went by. I was driving to work and as I was slowing down from 65-0 the whinning noise got really loud and right before I completely stopped the car bucked a few times and the engine stalled.

Engine starts no CEL

With clutched pressed in, I can go through all the gears

Stalls when trying to go from first(or any gear)

brakes feel fine

haldex system lets the back wheels roll fine

But car doesn't not roll forward or reverse in neutral. transmission is completely locked. like if someone has the brakes on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
Sorry for the late reply. So its finally taken apart and replaced.

so the angle drive was the culprit.

the green parts spin in the same direction, and the red part is completely frozen. It was full of oil as well.

When inspecting the new one the red part also spins.

My only guess is the shop didn't fill it up the first time around, then when I took it back because of the noise they realized it and filled it up... but at that point it was already too late for the gears inside. They also left a few other bolts loose, including the dog bone mounting bolt which i pointed out to them.

I can argue with the shop all day but I won't be able to prove thats what happened.

The car is running perfectly fine now with no whining noises.

#7 ·
Just finished. It seems where the drive shaft gear rides in the housing, was rubbing metal to metal due to lack of lubrication.

The bigger black "worm" gears look perfectly fine with no sign of abnormal wear. The inner bearing also looks in good shape.

So now I know. This angle gear MUST be topped off at all times or else you risk of this type of failure.

So either they didn't top it off correctly or didn't fill it in the first place.... before I took it to their shop I had no such sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.