Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Cars
      '17 BMW i3 BEV, '16 BMW i3 BEV, '13 FiST
      06-13-2020 05:14 PM #1
      Yesterday I had some time to spare. Not wanting to waste the nice afternoon sun, I packed the camera, and went for a drive.

Continued after the pics ...

So, after a couple of hours enjoying my districts many winding country roads, stopping frequently to jump for a shot or two, I headed home.

On my way home I reflected on how I felt no fatigue, I've done this many times before with the Lotus and other cars, and have always experienced these trip as energy draining. Now I felt in much better shape, just like I did when I took the previous Model 3 to the track. I suspect it has something to do with the effortlessness of EVs, and how they operate. It literary takes no effort, jump in the car, pull a lever, and off you go. No noise, no vibrations, nothing like that. It's great if I'm honest.

So there you have it, another contrived reason to get an EV.

Now you can go back to Virtual Le Mans 2020.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-13-2020 05:27 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      Yesterday I had some time to spare. Not wanting to waste the nice afternoon sun, I packed the camera, and went for a drive.

Continued after the pics ...

So, after a couple of hours enjoying my districts many winding country roads, stopping frequently to jump for a shot or two, I headed home.

On my way home I reflected on how I felt no fatigue, I've done this many times before with the Lotus and other cars, and have always experienced these trip as energy draining. Now I felt in much better shape, just like I did when I took the previous Model 3 to the track. I suspect it has something to do with the effortlessness of EVs, and how they operate. It literary takes no effort, jump in the car, pull a lever, and off you go. No noise, no vibrations, nothing like that. It's great if I'm honest.

So there you have it, another contrived reason to get an EV.

Now you can go back to Virtual Le Mans 2020.
      I gotta say, a thread about the Lotus would be hotter, and that fatigue you felt with it was because you were dancing with a partner. The EV was like fapping alone, in the Lotus you were having sex with somebody

A Buick SUV is quite plush and quiet, great for trips too, so there's that end of the enthusiast graph I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

4. Member
      Cars
      Miata, GX470, Soul EV, GTV, GT Jr
      06-13-2020 05:27 PM #3
      Lovely images, and I agree, EVs are very good for road-trips or around town.

I suspect the future will have us cherish our ICE as special occasions fun toys, with EVs becoming the day to day vehicles actually used for transportation.

Cars
      06-13-2020 05:33 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I gotta say, a thread about the Lotus would be hotter, and that fatigue you felt with it was because you were dancing with a partner. The EV was like fapping alone, in the Lotus you were having sex with somebody

A Buick SUV is quite plush and quiet, great for trips too, so there's that end of the enthusiast graph I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
      I like the way you're thinking, even if you did cost us a lot of scrolling

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

6. 06-13-2020 05:34 PM #5
      I like the way you're thinking, even if you did cost us a lot of scrolling

Cars
      06-13-2020 05:37 PM #6
      It's also worth noting. Nobody could hear what kind of speeds I was doing between the stops.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-13-2020 05:41 PM #7
      Over the past five-ish years I've gone from "EVs are the devil!" to "okay, EVs have their potential benefits" to "yeah, I'll own an EV one day". The proprietary nature of Tesla vehicles turns me off, but once parts, service, and of course charging is more commonly available I'll make the jump.

I'm still surprised that Toyota and Honda have been so resistant to EV development. With their technology and manufacturing they could easily make some great EVs.

Cars
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      06-13-2020 07:15 PM #8
      Here’s a question I got the other day: Are EV(Tesla) owners considered car enthusiasts? Since you also can’t “work” on your car like ICE cars anymore.

10. 06-13-2020 07:16 PM #9
      Nobody could hear what kind of speeds I was doing between the stops.
      That reminds me of another related EV benefit: yellow lights. If you're the sort of driver who frequently guns it when the light ahead turns yellow, you'll love driving an EV. For one, the instant throttle response will help you beat the red. Even better, when you mash the pedal the car leaps forward in complete silence--no "buh-WAAAHHHH!" noise from the tail pipe telling everyone within earshot you're trying to beat the red.

Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

11. 06-13-2020 07:27 PM #10
      I am a dyed in the wool gearhead. From steam to jet, if it burns something to move I am intrigued.

I am also a chronic DIYer.

So to me the question of can you be an auto enthusiast and drive/like Teslas and EVs is relevant.

I say yes.

While I don't like Tesla's relationship/model regarding maintenance, parts and the owner, I am intrigued by EV's. I am sure I will make the switch at some point, however ICE's will remain for other esoteric reasons.

NOTHING can replace the noise and involvement of an enthusiast vehicle. I am sure people will forget Camry's as an appliance (and a damn good one at that), but there will always be people who cherish fun vehicles that burn fossil fuels.

12. Member
      Cars
      GX470; Model 3 dual motor appliance
      06-13-2020 07:37 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Here’s a question I got the other day: Are EV(Tesla) owners considered car enthusiasts? Since you also can’t “work” on your car like ICE cars anymore.

Being a car enthusiast is simply a state of mind. Most tesla owners aren't into cars, but they're very into teslas. There are a slew of tesla owners which actually know nothing about performance cars though. Other tesla owners is my least favorite part of owning a tesla.

Dawg - when did you get a white p3d? What happened to the blue one? I'd like to trade my red dual motor for a white on white p3d but I just can't do it. Too much money for no soul.

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      06-13-2020 07:39 PM #12
      EVs are the best daily vehicles period. But do people actually want EVs or do they want Teslas? Bc the benefits of a Tesla to me essentially are double the benefit of any single EV alone. I was chatting with some car guys today and someone mentioned losing the only key to some german car. The car is stuck on deflated bags in a lot. To get a new a key, it's needs a tow to a dealer an hour away plus the $450 key. If you lose the secondary physical key to your Tesla (phone is primary), it costs $25 for 2 key cards and you can just program it yourself in 30 seconds. Thats Tesla rewriting the ownership experience that a Audi E-Tron prob doesnt have.

Slow Car Fast

14. 06-13-2020 07:50 PM #13
      No thanks. I cannot believe how grossly overpriced these things are.

Cars
      2014 Tesla Model S P85+ / 2018 Bolt
      06-13-2020 07:50 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      EVs are the best daily vehicles period. But do people actually want EVs or do they want Teslas? Bc the benefits of a Tesla to me essentially are double the benefit of any single EV alone. I was chatting with some car guys today and someone mentioned losing the only key to some german car. The car is stuck on deflated bags in a lot. To get a new a key, it's needs a tow to a dealer an hour away plus the $450 key. If you lose the secondary physical key to your Tesla (phone is primary), it costs $25 for 2 key cards and you can just program it yourself in 30 seconds. Thats Tesla rewriting the ownership experience that a Audi E-Tron prob doesnt have.
      I think they want Teslas. I may be a bit biased, but I have a Bolt and the Model S. What do I want to do next? Sell the Bolt and buy a Performance Model Y. Between autopilot, supercharging, the app, OTA updates...it's very hard to beat.
      Current: 2014 Tesla Model S P85+ // 2018 Chevy Bolt

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      06-13-2020 07:56 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      No thanks. I cannot believe how grossly overpriced these things are.
      Are you referring to performance sedans or this Tesla specifically? 0-60 in 3.2 for a for $55k is somewhat of a bargain these days. Especially with ridiculously low running costs. You know what is overpriced? An Audi A4 with a 2.0L Turbo for $50k. Thats grossly overpriced.
      Slow Car Fast

17. Member
      Cars
      GX470; Model 3 dual motor appliance
      06-13-2020 08:34 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by helement2003 View Post
      I think they want Teslas. I may be a bit biased, but I have a Bolt and the Model S. What do I want to do next? Sell the Bolt and buy a Performance Model Y. Between autopilot, supercharging, the app, OTA updates...it's very hard to beat.

You don't appreciate the cheap bolt, drawing no attention, treating it like a beater, etc??? I think I drive too many places with either street parking, or locations, where I have no desire to have a $50k car. The liberation that occurs in driving a car you don't care about is almost as good as having fun in a fun car.. but I admit I care too much about keeping things nice. Hence, my tesla is too "nice" of a car. Would rather run a bolt thru car washes, curbs, sketchy areas, etc... Than have a single ... NICE car.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-13-2020 08:58 PM #17
      I have nothing against EVs at all but it’s wierd to have a TCL thread fawning over a car because it’s so uninvolving.

19. 06-13-2020 09:02 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I have nothing against EVs at all but it’s wierd to have a TCL thread fawning over a car because it’s so uninvolving.
      Agree, I wanted to hear more about the Lotus

20. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      06-13-2020 09:17 PM #19
      You don't even have to own a car to be a car enthusiast.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      06-13-2020 09:29 PM #20
      I think it's called getting old.

It sure was a lot less draining to drive around all day when I was 25...
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Cars
      1998 New Beetle. 2019 GSW
      06-13-2020 10:35 PM #21
      There are many types of car enthusiasts.

You can "work" on EVs. It may need a different skill set.

23. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      06-13-2020 10:45 PM #22
      Not to discredit the car, but I just wanted to say that your country roads are beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_spock
      You can "work" on EVs. It may need a different skill set.
      QFT. Probably 3/4 of my hobby wrenching is wheels/brakes/suspension/steering/body/etc. And while there's no oil changes or spark plugs or turbochargers, there's a whole bunch of cool electrics and electronics.
      Last edited by ghost03; 06-13-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Cars
      2014 Tesla Model S P85+ / 2018 Bolt
      06-13-2020 10:47 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      You don't appreciate the cheap bolt, drawing no attention, treating it like a beater, etc??? I think I drive too many places with either street parking, or locations, where I have no desire to have a $50k car. The liberation that occurs in driving a car you don't care about is almost as good as having fun in a fun car.. but I admit I care too much about keeping things nice. Hence, my tesla is too "nice" of a car. Would rather run a bolt thru car washes, curbs, sketchy areas, etc... Than have a single ... NICE car.
      I completely appreciate it, and it's actually really fun to drive. I can't wait to get some real tires on it (stocks at 33k miles now), as it's supposed to transform the car. It actually handles well, accelerates better than most common traffic on the road, and is overall inexpensive to own and operate. I'll likely end up keeping it a couple more years. No reason not to. At that point, I'll be curious to see what used Performance Y's are going for, or when new developments are made in the newest Y's.
      Current: 2014 Tesla Model S P85+ // 2018 Chevy Bolt

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5
      06-13-2020 10:58 PM #24
      I’m an auto enthusiast and a driving enthusiast. I loved driving my gas GTI on the track and I love driving my EV. I love driving my trucks and SUVs. I enjoy working on cars sometimes. I enjoy that I DON’T have to work on my EV. (I’m on my second Accord and they are as exciting as my refrigerator though.)

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. I plan on continuing to have a diverse vehicle lineup with diverse power trains.

06-14-2020 02:08 AM #25
      Beautiful photos and the Model 3 looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      I’m an auto enthusiast and a driving enthusiast. I loved driving my gas GTI on the track and I love driving my EV. I love driving my trucks and SUVs. I enjoy working on cars sometimes. I enjoy that I DON’T have to work on my EV. (I’m on my second Accord and they are as exciting as my refrigerator though.)

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. I plan on continuing to have a diverse vehicle lineup with diverse power trains.
      x2. There are many different ways to be engaged with cars and the automotive world. I'm fascinated by my EV yet also enjoy driving ICE sports cars.
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast