Fourtitude.com - Would a change in your company's work from home policy change the car you drive?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      AWD German Hatch
      06-12-2020 11:37 AM #1
      Thanks to the pandemic, my company is seriously considering making working from home permanently an option for most office workers.

I currently drive an AWD hatchback to ensure I can get to the office during the winter months. But, if I could work from home as much as I want, I'd probably dump it in a heartbeat and start trying to figure out how much Cayman/911/Evora my budget would allow. (Okay, actually I'm already trying to figure out how much Cayman/911/Evora my budget will allow ).

What about you folks?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      06-12-2020 11:43 AM #2
      Only if job security was 100% guaranteed.

The fakerich A4 is paid off. I'm in no rush to take on a new car note.

4. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-12-2020 11:50 AM #3
      My job has already been very open to working from home, especially in bad weather (snow).
      Since it rarely snows significantly around here anyway, and knowing that I'm not expected to commute in snow, my most recent purchase decision was directly influenced by the work from home policy.
      I was looking at CUVs or SUVs, but decided instead on a FWD hatchback.
      I've long contemplated owning an EV, but if work from home becomes the norm, I'll probably keep my underutilized ICE car for a much longer time. Since I would not have to commute very often, I probably would be less inclined
      to incur the added costs of an EV, when it comes time to replace the GTI.

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      06-12-2020 11:50 AM #4
      Yes. We would probably have one fancier car instead of two cheapies.

I'm leaning toward replacing the Corolla early and keeping the paid-off Yaris as a second car, then getting something new/fun, maybe in a year or so.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Cars
      Dodge, Hyundai, Toyota, VW
      06-12-2020 11:51 AM #5
      I am unable to work from home. At least with the current set up offered. There are currently only 13 or so people in the building while everyone else works from home and it has been awesome. Plus I have been able to spend more time with the big bosses who are also still here working and might have convinced them to create a new department for me. Never underestimate the power of showing up to work everyday during a pandemic.

Cars
      Ram, Vette, 500
      06-12-2020 11:59 AM #6
      Already considered selling all my vehicles (truck, vette, fiat, two motorcycles) and consolidating to just one cheap one for that reason if I'm spending so little time on the road with online shopping and work from home. People will laugh their ass off, but I considered a cheap used Jeep Renegade 4x4 Sport with the 1.4 turbo on it and 6-speed manual, chip it, straight exhaust, trailer hitch, and put an attractive set of small diameter wheels on it. All my car buddies would probably mock me relentlessly, but it'd do everything, be bargain basement price, and I'd have fun I think which is all that matters.

Right now I kind of justify it because its nice to have variety to jump in and they are all so very different vehicles so might as well split racking up mileage between them, but hard to do if not on the road.

Cars
      1989 yuppie-mobile, 2016 sorority special
      06-12-2020 12:01 PM #7
      Absolutely. I hate commuting and the features that make commuting bearable/economical (AWD, high MPG, general comfort/reliability/etc) generally narrow down your options to pretty boring cars.

If the bulk of my driving was just for short trips around town or twisty road fun, I’d probably try to get back into an E30, an NA Miata, or stretch to get a 987.2 Cayman. Maybe even an oddball choice like the 500 Abarth or R56 Mini. Or an F150 Lightning, a GMC Typhoon... this list could go on.
      Last edited by DrivinAW8; 06-12-2020 at 12:04 PM.

9. Member
      Cars
      Current - '19 GLI AB 6MT; Dead - '10 S4 6MT; Gone - '01 S4 6MT
      06-12-2020 12:02 PM #8
      Yes, I would've leased something more expensive since I wouldn't go over the mileage now. Leasing would've been impossible before since I traveled about 20K miles a year prior to WFH.

Cars
      mk6 CW GTI, '20 CX5GT, Mitsu Outlander Sport, sold - mk4 futura GTI
      06-12-2020 12:09 PM #9
      I've been permanently working from home now for ~7 years. I've been averaging under 2,000 miles per year on my GTI (<30k miles total in 9 years). As soon as I find the unicorn m235/m240 i've been searching for, i will getting that to become my new garage queen. soooo yes?
      praise the lowered
      。save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

11. 06-12-2020 12:14 PM #10
      I have worked remotely for about four years. My commute was never bad anyways, but having no commute definitely changed my perspective. When I look at cars to buy, I'm really only considering 10-15k miles of ownership (from a maintenance and depreciation perspective), and I also consider that they should be entertaining, play whatever role the car is filling well, but I don't consider gas mileage, what it will be like in traffic, etc...

12. Junior Member nc_detail_garage's Avatar
      Cars
      B9 S4 / Levante
      06-12-2020 12:20 PM #11
      I've been slowly eyeing 718's after switching jobs recently and being given home/office flexibility. Likely won't turn into anything though

Cars
      Ram, Vette, 500
      06-12-2020 12:32 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      Maybe even an oddball choice like the 500 Abarth or R56 Mini. Or an F150 Lightning, a GMC Typhoon... this list could go on.
      Since the Abarth back seats are hard to get in to anyway, and take up so much room (and weight) even folded forward, you can take them out like I did. Then you have a super easy vehicle to park, frugal, quick with a chip to bump power to 190hp which is good for a 2500lb vehicle, and I just recently had a costco generator, a costco chest freezer, mulch, and even some sod in there recently (hence the dirt). When putting dirty stuff down I just pull that doggy-mat deal out and you can use it for privacy to cover crap in the back, and otherwise pull it away and it has an anti-slip mat in there that works well especially if you use the big stretchy net with the hidden anchors. Only downside is now and then I need to haul say two+ passengers and their suitcases like picking up from the airport, and just can't do that in such a tiny vehicle.
      Last edited by Ducman69; 06-12-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Cars
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      06-12-2020 01:01 PM #13
      Eh, after three months of pandemic I'm not considering any major car changes other than possibly selling my GTI to move on to something else.

My wife on the other hand sounds like she won't be going back to the office until at least 2021 and maybe never. If she stays home for a year or so we might well consider something else for sure. Unfortunately we just picked up her Tiguan late last Fall so we have a while to go before we make any moves for her too.

Cars
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      06-12-2020 01:11 PM #14
      I don't think so. Our current DD fleet is perfect for what we need. The Cross Sport is more than enough space for any adventure we get into and the Fiesta is a fun run-about. Her Camry is a perfect appliance for her. I'm fortunate to have fun vehicles for fun reasons and not need a do-it-all.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

Cars
      '16 F82 Krautrocket
      06-12-2020 01:22 PM #15
      Not that it would happen since I'm a litigation attorney that handles matters throughout the state, but assuming I no longer had to drive to court houses and other locations, it would definitely change the vehicle I drive.

I went with my Q50 because I needed something with a warranty, that wouldn't give me hassle, was comfortable, and still have some performance to it. Remove the distance/daily driving and I'm buying a 2000-2012 M-car, P-car, or something similar.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      06-12-2020 01:27 PM #16
      Am in this boat. When the Wrongler lease is up next summer I知 probably getting something stupid cheap and older. I値l put extra money into sprucing up my S2000, and probably spend a little more on my wife having a nice car, but when I知 not commuting I知 not going to drop $30-40-50k on a car that sits in my driveway or makes around town trips. Probably get a beater, or maybe just a really cheap lease on something. My SIL is talking about offloading her 10y/o 120k mile RX350, assuming I can buy it for whatever low-ball trade in offer she gets ill probably snag it. It痴 a cockroach it should run forever for (well) under 10 stacks. Either that or I値l play the 努hat can I lease for $200-300 game or something.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      Audi e-Tron, BMW X3, and a Toyota appiiance
      06-12-2020 01:32 PM #17
      Nah. Just glad that I gotta job, that's all.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

19. 06-12-2020 01:33 PM #18
      I致e been WFH for over 15 years. But I normally travel for work, so I wasn稚 home a lot anyway. I wouldn稚 change a thing. I love my cars and rarely put many miles on them. We are trying a lease for the first time on one of the cars though. But we did that pre-pandemic. It was just a YOLO kind of thing.

20. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      06-12-2020 01:37 PM #19
      im definitely tempted to turn the mallardo into some sort of bigger thirstier pickup, but probably wont. its nice having stuff in the fleet that doesnt need much tinkering. but we did buy a small diesel pickup when we were both commuting 60+ miles/day.

i do find myself looking at old duallies far too regularly though so we'll see how long i can resist

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      06-12-2020 01:52 PM #20
      Not really. When I was going into the office I was commuting 50 miles round-trip in a car that gets 18mpg and is a bit too harsh and loud.

Driving less makes me want to keep it.

My car is the next one to replace though because we just need more room for the doggo if we want to go out of town, which incidentally, isn't happening any time soon anyway.
      iain

22. Senior Member
      06-12-2020 02:05 PM #21
      Car I bought? Probably not.

But, I might not buy dedicated snows and winter wheels from Tirerack for our next cars. Will just do a search and have the dealer swap out the stock tires for all-seasons with better snow rating as part of the sale.

Never thought of doing that before. A neighbor told me that she had the Jeep dealer here change the tires on the Jeep they bought for their daughter.

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      06-12-2020 02:08 PM #22
      No. I drive seven miles to a subway station when I take the car to work, and motorcycle the rest of the time. Working from home doesn't change that really.

If my job wasn't subway accessible and I had to sit in traffic to get there? Yes, I would buy a cheap commuter with an automatic.

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      06-12-2020 02:18 PM #23
      I was remote as of January anyways and the only thing it made me do was to buy something exciting (S2000). When you don't have to drive much, you want those drives to be fun especially in the summer. My only wish is that I lived in the south for access to cheaper and more vehicles with potentially more room for storage and more places for service. Being a car guy in Vermont sucks.
      Slow Car Fast

25. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      06-12-2020 02:26 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Only if job security was 100% guaranteed.

The fakerich A4 is paid off. I'm in no rush to take on a new car note.
      Yup. If things stayed the same as they are now, the Q5 and a 987/997 would be a sweet combo for us.

We had an A4 sedan when I got the Tiguan and I always want to have a cargo capable vehicle in the household, so I was looking for a wagon or CUV to do 20k miles a year. Wanted it to be less than $30k, have a lot of warranty ahead of it, run on regular fuel with reasonable fuel efficiency, and be German. Needless to say, there wasn't many options.

Cars
      GLE350 4Matic
      06-12-2020 02:26 PM #25
      Nah, I have a <2 mile commute and live in the south. It痴 a non-factor for me.

What is a factor is whether I can comfortably fit 2 adults when a car seat is installed. Once I知 out of car seat age, I値l definitely buy something smaller and more fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast