Fourtitude.com - Any Horror Stories in Relation to Cars Being Displayed in Malls?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      A 2019 Mexican German Yuppie/College Girl Mobile
      06-02-2020 04:24 AM #1
      Well, I was just thinking about a lot of stuff in the shower, as many do, and I started thinking about something interesting-- dealers displaying cars in shopping malls. This is something I used to see a lot around the Tucson area, and then, poof; they're all gone. I can tell you why they dealers failed to see the value of it.

In my neck of the woods, the Tucson Mall used to showcase some very interesting cars. It was actually the only reason I enjoyed going to the mall, as it just isn't as special as it was in the early 2000's. Suncoast Video and the Discovery store, anyone? Anyway, a local VW/Fiat/Alfa dealer used to showcase some very cool cars. I saw everything from more the mundane 500Ls, 500xs Jettas, Passats, Tiguans, and base Beetles, to Eoses, CCs, GTIs, Abarth 500s and 4Cs. You get the picture. Many times, these vehicles were displayed around an unstaffed kiosk; many of these vehicles were unlocked. I would very respectfully sit in the seat, take in the new-car smell, and daydream about driving that sexy red 4C, or little white GTI with plaid seats. This made my 18 year old self (at the time) happy as a clam. However, the more I looked around, I was astonished. Lock/unlock switches where busted, seat adjuster levers were busted, volume knobs were stolen, Monroney stickers were torn, and soft touch dashes has gouges in it. The utter disrespect blew me away. The more I saw these cars, I'd see little kids slamming doors, bringing ice cream cones in, playing hide and seek, and the parents just gazed in admiration at their children. How cute it must have been to watch them destroy property that wasn't theirs? I though I had seen it all. Nope.

One day, there was a sales person staffing the kiosk. It was was a very nice, witty lady who was there representing the dealer. I was checking out the cars as I often do, and I was small talking with her in the process. She told me all about how horrible the dealer treats her, how the sexist and anti-semitic (she was Jewish) Muslim dealer manager treats her like dirt, and would stick her with running the mall Kiosk, as well as horror stories about what often happens to the cars when they're left in the mall. The stories were juicy, as you would expect. The first one is about a first gen Tiguan. Some young pregnant broad with a two year old daughter was looking at a Tiguan. About a minute into it, the two year old starts crying and then pukes all over the center hump of the Tiguan. The mother let the sales lady clean it up. Then there was one about another first gen Tiguan. There was a family looking at it with a teenage son. They were looking over the vehicle, and then the teenaged son, who seemed mild mannered enough, started slamming doors like they would do in those early 2010's VW commercials. Well, the sales lady noticed in time that the slamming caused a huge hairline fracture in the windshield. The family got stuck with the bill, as they should. Another story was with a MK6 Jetta. Some family from Mexico thought it would be a cute idea to have a picnic in the Jetta with Mexican food from the food court. They got in when she was on break, and when she came back, she was greeted with an entire family of people eating tacos al pastor, and menudo in the car, and one person eating something sticky from the raspados stand, and several cups of horchata. They didn't speak a word of English, and the sales lady had to relay the message via a Spanish-speaking security guard that they couldn't have a picnic in the car. They got up, left, and let her clean up some trash and food drippings. Absolutely disgusting. That dealer didn't display cars in the mall much more after that. I don't blame them

Additionally, there was a Jaguar/Land Rover, Mini and Lexus dealer that would display Jag XEs, Mini Coopers and a hideous outlier Lexus NX over near Sears and Penney's. I never saw a sales person there, but they would leave a really nice, white, Jag XE on display, unlocked. I would sit in that as well, very respectfully. I never saw anything out of the ordinary on the inside. The exterior and trunk were another story. One time, I put my hand on the handle, and I was greeted with a sticky wad of blue bubble gum. When I saw, that I about gagged; I went in the restroom and scrubbed my hands like there was no tomorrow. On the other door handle, was a bloody booger wiped on it. Inside the gas lid? A Jack in the Box logo spoof sticker that said "Jack in the Crack". On the trunk lid? The J and the R in "Jaguar" was stolen of it, spelling the Spanish word for water, "Agua". However, in the trunk was a real prize. Someone decided they didn't want their doggie bag from the Vietnamese joint around the corner, and left it in the trunk. I don't know how long it was sitting in there, but it smelled like a dead cat or something. That dealer also did not have their cars in the mall for much longer.

Sucks, huh? A group of careless people destroy property that isn't theirs, and it ruins everything for everybody. Does anyone else have car display horror stories to tell? Well, besides Mercedes-Benz of Oakland. I want to hear them!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      06-02-2020 07:43 AM #2
      Our malls sometimes have cars, but they have never been unlocked. That is just silly.

Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Cars
      Dodge, Hyundai, Toyota, VW
      06-02-2020 07:52 AM #3
      The last time I was in a mall was the late 1900s. But I would assume that the decline in malls coincided with the decline of automobiles being displayed in said malls.

5. Senior Member
      06-02-2020 08:02 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      The last time I was in a mall was the late 1900s.
      A whole score and many a fortnight ago

Cars
      2019 Mazda 3
      06-02-2020 08:12 AM #5
      My local mall use to display Mitsubishi's. That was pretty horrifying.

7. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      06-02-2020 08:33 AM #6
      My mall does, but they're locked. I don't quite see the point. I can look at locked cars in the parking lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Cars
      2019 BMW M550i
      06-02-2020 09:12 AM #7
      Mall near me usually has a Panamera, Range, Maserati, Audi, Merc and Jag on display but I've never seen a mall ever leave cars unlocked. Also has the standard Tesla store with sales people and open cars to check out.
      Previous cars: 2016 VW GTI PP - 2015 VW GTI - 2004 VW R32 - 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 STI - 1997 Nissan 180SX Type-X
      My Flickr

9. 06-02-2020 09:18 AM #8
      Shopping Mall in South Africa around 2003. This was around the time the Mini Cooper was returning to the US. I had seen the photos for a couple of years but had never been up close. They had about 3 Mini Coopers on display in the mall, all unlocked. Might have been tied in with a Bourne movie, or maybe simply to promote the vehicle.

It was nice to sit inside and check it out. Was about to get my photo in there. Then a bunch of kids came through, honking the horns and being kids. Then whoever was in charge locked all the cars and that was the end of that.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

06-02-2020 09:19 AM #9
      In the Stuttgart airport there's a rotating display of cars from the Porsche and MB museums. I never had the balls to check if they were locked or unlocked.

example:

06-02-2020 09:26 AM #10

The feels when your car is on display at the airport to entice prospective buyers. I’ve never seen a mall (nor airport) display car left unlocked before.

Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Cars
      Dodge, Hyundai, Toyota, VW
      06-02-2020 09:55 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post

The feels when your car is on display at the airport to entice prospective buyers. I’ve never seen a mall (nor airport) display car left unlocked before.
      Is that on display or was someone just late for a flight?

06-02-2020 10:37 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Is that on display or was someone just late for a flight?
      I can’t imagine how difficult it was to get that car past the TSA checkpoint.

14. 06-02-2020 10:38 AM #13
      Up in Pembroke Ontario, the GM dealer used to actually be IN the mall. They had a space about the size of the grocery store, and usually a few cars out in the halls too. It was pretty cool.

Cars
      '16 F82 Krautrocket
      06-02-2020 10:54 AM #14
      I think I recall the cars being unlocked when I was younger, but I cannot recall them being unlocked in recent memory. Even so, the paint marring on the vehicles is terrible from people rubbing up with shopping bags and purses along with smudge marks everywhere.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Cars
      15 Rav4
      06-02-2020 10:57 AM #15
      1:34 The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year:

YouTube is not a medical device.

Cars
      E350 Wagon, Arteon
      06-02-2020 11:02 AM #16
      The mall in Cherry Creek is ballsy. They have way too nice of cars (720s and a levante) just sitting around the mall.

They are locked though. Oh and there's a dumb ass Tesla store. But they just started offering test drives in the parking lot which is interesting.

Cars
      2013 VW Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      06-02-2020 11:16 AM #17
      Westfarms normally has cars on display, locked of course.
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!

19. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-02-2020 12:30 PM #18
      I have two takeaways from the story.

1) I've never seen one in a mall that was unlocked, because that's dumb.

2) Now I want Tacos al Pastor.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-02-2020 12:45 PM #19
      The King of Prussia mall by me has a history of various cars on display. Volvo had some cars on display at one point and they were open. But only when a rep was present. Tesla rented store space where you could crawl around their cars to get a feel for them. I don't remember precisely but I think Mercedes also rented out space to show off their a220 sedan---that was open as well. I don't recall any of the open cars being trashed when I sat in them.

21. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      06-02-2020 12:55 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      The King of Prussia mall by me has a history of various cars on display. Volvo had some cars on display at one point and they were open. But only when a rep was present. Tesla rented store space where you could crawl around their cars to get a feel for them. I don't remember precisely but I think Mercedes also rented out space to show off their a220 sedan---that was open as well. I don't recall any of the open cars being trashed when I sat in them.
      Last time I was there, in february, there was a display of all the Genesis models inside and Jags outside. Tesla still has the store too.
      Last edited by MAC; 06-02-2020 at 12:59 PM.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Cars
      B9 Audi A4 Quattro P+/W205 Mercedes-Benz
      06-02-2020 02:05 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      Last time I was there, in february, there was a display of all the Genesis models inside and Jags outside. Tesla still has the store too.
      Can confirm. Mercedes had an A220 and a GLC in the pop up store across from the Omega store back in December of 2018. Last time I was there they still had the Genesis models inside.
      Past: 1999.5 MKIV VW GTI, 2009 MKV Jetta, 2009 MKV Golf, 2007 B7 Audi A4, 2014 F30 BMW 328i, 2015 8V Audi A3, 2017 MK7 VW GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      06-02-2020 02:31 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      When I was there early last year, they had a Kia store with just one Kia Stinger, and an attendant who would let you sit in it.

24. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6, 2006 CR-V
      06-02-2020 02:51 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by TSchuettinger View Post
      Well, I was just thinking about a lot of stuff in the shower, as many do
      Giggity
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

25. Member
      06-02-2020 03:47 PM #24
      I took my kids to the high end mall to visit Santa Claus this year. There was a Lamborghini on display from a local dealership. The vast majority of people just peered thru the windows, respectfully walked around, took a picture, etc. then an early 20’s kid that looked like Justin Bieber walks up with a 3 year old and helps her walk up on the hood and plop down on the windshield. Then he began snapping cell phone pics. It was pretty funny actually. When the photo shoot was over, she slid down the hood on her belly and they walked off to get in line for Santa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      06-02-2020 03:59 PM #25
      The local Aston dealer always has a car or two parked in the town center where I work. Sometimes in the summer they'll have a bunch parked in the min outdoor concourses. Over the years a few dealers have even done demo events there, VW did one a few years ago when the Atlas and new Tiguan came out. VW/Audi HQ is just down the street though.
      iain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast