Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-29-2020 02:10 PM #1
      Buick has definitely been sharpening its design skills, with each passing generation of new CUV.
      The new Envision is definitely a big design improvement over its predecessor (which is an easy thing to do).
      Hopefully, its price and point of origin will be in line with expectations.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/29/...uick-envision/

Allow us to introduce you to the new and much improved 2021 Buick Envision. Don’t let the handsome shape and sharp design fool you. This compact crossover is a Buick. The Envision has been a frumpy and rather boring looking crossover since its launch for the 2017 model, and now GM has remedied that sticking point.

This new made-in-China (the first Buick sold in America that was assembled there) crossover is full of sharp edges, muscular lines arcing through the body and crisp lighting fixtures. It’s verging on European in nature. If this is a hint of things to come at Buick, we are quite optimistic for the future of its crossover designs now that the cars are dead.

“The 2021 Envision will be lower and wider, with premium proportions and striking styling designed to combine the expressiveness of a car with the practicality of an SUV,” said Helen Emsley, executive director, Global Buick and GMC Design.

Perhaps you’re hoping for additional details? We only have a few. Buick says it will be powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, and shifting duties will be handled by a nine-speed automatic transmission. It’s likely the same 2.0-turbo that makes 252 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque in the outgoing Envision. There’s no word on the 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder model, but it’s likely being dropped from the lineup.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      05-29-2020 02:17 PM #2
      Looks much better!

"Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

4. Member
      Cars
      2009 MINI R55S; 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
      05-29-2020 02:58 PM #3
      I guess they ENVISIONED Mazda, because I see A LOT of CX-5 all over that, from long hood to even some of the side contouring. But with lackluster chrome accenting and I have a feeling this thing will be a porker just like the current Envision.

The Music city. Or The Motor City. What day is it?
      Cars
      2020 Nissan GT-R Premium, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
      05-29-2020 03:31 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Zunflower View Post
      I guess they ENVISIONED Mazda, because I see A LOT of CX-5 all over that, from long hood to even some of the side contouring. But with lackluster chrome accenting and I have a feeling this thing will be a porker just like the current Envision.
      The funny thing is Mazda poached the GM designer (2009) who's sketch themes-long hood/short deck-strong character lines over both wheel arches were floating around GM advanced design walls for ever.

Anyway, Buick is going to experience a design resurgence within GMs upcoming product blitz-they are the hottest ticket in (GM) design and I prefer the resulting clays over anything else in the upcoming portfolio besides some models from GMC/Hummer.
      Last edited by Minority5; 05-30-2020 at 01:44 PM.

6. Member
      Cars
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      05-29-2020 03:41 PM #5
      Will it still be made in China for our market? I hope not.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Cars
      2018 Tiguan Highline, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
      05-29-2020 03:49 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      Yeah, I'm sorry but if I can help it I don't buy anything made in china.
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

If the next GTI has over 300 hp off the showroom floor, I'll eat my airedale.

8. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      05-29-2020 04:14 PM #7
      I can’t imagine they’ll continue with importing from PRC. The tariff probably makes every one sold here unprofitable, but it’s too important for Buick dealers to discontinue until production is moved.

9. 05-29-2020 04:15 PM #8
      Very impressive, eager to see the interior. I definitely see some Mazda influence design wise as well.

It also makes me sad Buick ditched sedans, but I wonder how long that will last? Maybe they'll offer some sort of special model later on as a celebration of historical Buick models? One can always hope.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      Ah, the 1920s - when men were men, cars were Avions-Voisins, and pedestrian impact standards were "get out of the way or my car will literally shank you in the face.
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      This is 'Murrica. I vote with my penis. He gon' lose.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harrisonbrooks/

10. 05-29-2020 04:21 PM #9
      The old one didn't look bad at all but compared to this one, the old one now does look "old". Not sure I see "Mazda" in it, but the headlamps and some of the front look Audi-like.

Made-in-China is still a turn-off on paper for me.

11. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-29-2020 05:37 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      The old one didn't look bad at all but compared to this one, the old one now does look "old". Not sure I see "Mazda" in it, but the headlamps and some of the front look Audi-like.

Made-in-China is still a turn-off on paper for me.
      I hope the North American version will be sourced from US/Canada/Mexico.
      Its platform mates are made here, so I can't imagine why we wouldn't get a "locally" sourced one.

05-29-2020 06:08 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      I hope the North American version will be sourced from US/Canada/Mexico.
      Its platform mates are made here, so I can't imagine why we wouldn't get a "locally" sourced one.
      I imagine there is plenty of capacity in Fairfax assembly to build this next to XT4. It never made much sense to import the first gen Envision from China but GM's hands were tied because its agreement with SAIC to export Buick vehicles to the US. Not many people remember this but during the financial crisis, SAIC gave GM something like $1 billion for 1% of SAIC-GM - it basically made SAIC the majority owner of SAIC-GM and it was carved out of GM's bankruptcy. Post bankruptcy and US Govt rescue, GM asked to buy back its 1% interest in SAIC-GM and as part of that agreement, GM agreed to a couple of things, including selling a SAIC assembled Buick in the US, which was the Envision. I think that agreement has expired so I expect the new Envision will be made here.
      Last edited by bzcat; 05-29-2020 at 06:11 PM.

05-29-2020 06:31 PM #12
      Damn, that actually looks surprisingly nice.

14. Member
      Cars
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      05-29-2020 08:26 PM #13
      Is this just a rebadged Blazer?

Cars
      2019 Golf R, 2019 XC90 T6
      05-29-2020 08:37 PM #14
      This looks a lot smaller than the current model -- I wonder if they're trying to open up their lineup between the Envision and Enclave for a new mid-size SUV.

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-29-2020 08:44 PM #15
      Car & Driver notes that it was told it will still come from China.

As for building it in NA - for the 30K annual sales, it makes more sense to import it.

17. 05-29-2020 08:46 PM #16
      WTF they just slapped GTI wheels on this thing and copied Mazda styling...A sad attempt to stay relevant.

18. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      05-29-2020 09:41 PM #17
      Looks OK at best but I'm not drooling over it.
      You can’t take advantage of “record low” gas prices when you have nowhere to drive. And it’s not really more affordable if you don’t have a paycheck to buy it with.

19. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      05-29-2020 09:51 PM #18
      It’s crazy how such an old legacy brand can have no heritage and recognizability in their products.

“Hey were Buick! Our last car with this badge didn’t work, so here’s something different that resembles nothing we’ve done before. Maybe you’ll like this one?? Oh yeah, we build it in China.”

Cars
      2017 STI
      05-29-2020 11:36 PM #19
      Looks nice. Engine / trans choice sounds good. Should make a nice DD.

Kinda hard to care about it though. I didn't even know what an Envision was, I had to google it.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Cars
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      05-30-2020 09:31 AM #20
      Interior images look like a real step up.

22. Member
      Cars
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      05-30-2020 11:19 AM #21
      You know, I don't recall the last time I saw a Buick dealer that wasn't attached to a GMC dealership. If GMC is all truck and SUV offering slightly upscale products, and with the soon demise of the Regal, Buick will be a slightly upscale all SUV brand, what's the point of two distinct brands that this point?

23. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-30-2020 12:03 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Interior images look like a real step up.

That is nice 👍🏾

24. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-30-2020 12:11 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
      You know, I don't recall the last time I saw a Buick dealer that wasn't attached to a GMC dealership. If GMC is all truck and SUV offering slightly upscale products, and with the soon demise of the Regal, Buick will be a slightly upscale all SUV brand, what's the point of two distinct brands that this point?
      I’ve pondered the same thing.
      Buick/GMC is now two premium SUV/CUV brands under one roof.
      Keeping both brands allows a pivot back to sedans/cars, when that market shift happens again.
      It would seem to make sense, however, for GMC to focus on “real” SUVs and leave the CUVs for Buick.
      I believe they’ve staggered their CUV offerings, so GMC and Buick models have space in size and price.
      The GMC Acadia is smaller than the Buick Enclave, for example.

25. 05-30-2020 12:14 PM #24
      The Mrs is looking to get back into an SUV. We always liked the Buick Enclave, she even test drove one years ago. It was too big for our needs though, it did leave a positive impression.

I'll mention this to her when it drops and wait for reviews/compares, my eyes like it.

26. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      05-30-2020 12:18 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      It’s crazy how such an old legacy brand can have no heritage and recognizability in their products.

“Hey were Buick! Our last car with this badge didn’t work, so here’s something different that resembles nothing we’ve done before. Maybe you’ll like this one?? Oh yeah, we build it in China.”
      When GM aligned Buick and Opel, in their previous generation of vehicles, most of the recognizable Buick DNA was lost in favor of Opel’s design language. Since new Buicks were on the drawing board during that period, I assume we’ll still see this Opel influence for some time to come. Buick is also more relevant to the Chinese market, so North American Buicks will still have to defer to Chinese tastes.

I do agree with your statement, however.
      It would be nice to see something recognizable in new Buicks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast