Fourtitude.com - GX460 vs. Highlander: oui or non?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    1. Member
      Cars
      '91 E30, '91 Volvo 740, '19 Rebel, '20 4R TRD Pro
      06-29-2020 10:29 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Another question: How much will I regret not getting the Luxury trim with the air suspension and Mark Levison audio?
      There's an L-certified GX in Pittsburgh that the dealer is willing to deal on. They're asking $28,995 with 69,000 miles. Or should I pay an extra $5-6000 for one with the luxury package?
      I think this may be a Canadian thing, but it seems all GX up here has rear air, the range of adjustment didn't seem that much, the LX's AHC was lot more range of adjustment, and the ML radio was meh, may be its a good thing without so you can easily upgrade the stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCgolf View Post
      What rust coating did you go with?
      T40, aka Krown's fluid, downside is that it drips after for a few days.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      06-29-2020 12:28 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by downytide View Post
      I think this may be a Canadian thing, but it seems all GX up here has rear air, the range of adjustment didn't seem that much, the LX's AHC was lot more range of adjustment, and the ML radio was meh, may be its a good thing without so you can easily upgrade the stereo.

Nothing in the audio system is easily upgraded in a GX460, Levinson or not. The screen incorporated the vehicle systems, navi, audio, HVAC, and other controls, so you can't just swap it out without losing important functions.

My truck is a base with coils and no Levinson. As I understand it, the air suspension rides nominally better and you have the added function of it being adjustable if you're towing or carrying a lot of gear. That said, the conventional setup is still highly effective and bulletproof... the ride is still excellent, particularly with the right tires.

As for the audio, I know a lot of people swear by the ML system. I've also heard of amps going out (my buddy's LS430 had issues) and head units failing and replacement parts are super spendy. I ALWAYS have music on when I drive and I find the stock system more than capable. It may not be audiophile quality, but it's good and it gets the job done. That said, I came from a Mini Clubman with the utterly atrocious stock audio system, so anything is an improvement.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-29-2020 12:46 PM #128
      Another question: How much will I regret not getting the Luxury trim with the air suspension and Mark Levison audio?
      There's an L-certified GX in Pittsburgh that the dealer is willing to deal on. They're asking $28,995 with 69,000 miles. Or should I pay an extra $5-6000 for one with the luxury package?
      Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      How important is a good audio system to you?
      Well, the JBL "premium" audio in our Highlander is horrific. Muddled, rattly, and overall a disappointment. That said, I'm not really an audiophile, more of a semi-passionate amateur listener of jazz and classical. I think it's the air suspension I'm most curious about.
      I'm 100% in favor of Mark Levinson audio, I'm an amateur audio snob and cannot stand bad car audio. My daughter and I listen to classical every morning and the crisp clarity of the Mark Levinson system is very noticable. If you don't like Toyota JBL audio, you won't like base Lexus audio which sounds like it's the same thing IMO. I personally passed on some nice GX470s that didn't have the nav/audio package for this specific reason.

As for the air suspension, it's especially nice for towing and/or loading up the hatch heavily (e.g. camping trip with kids and dog and gear and toys and.....). I like mine and make use of it often. On my old 4runner I installed Airlift bags for the same reasons, and if I ever install aftermarket suspension on my GX I would keep airbags in the rear in some form.

I also wanted to add that neither the Nav headunits of air suspension have abnormally high failure rates IMO. Yes, there is a potential for the headunits to fail just like any headunit. The kicker is that if it fails, it's potentially not a cheap fix. But I'm honestly not worried about it. Same with the air suspension. Yes, airbags eventually wear out. But it takes ~150k miles and that happens to all air suspension. Again, not something worth worrying about. Enjoy the features if you like them, and budget for potential car repairs just like you would with any upscale out of warranty car.
      Last edited by Pnuu; 06-29-2020 at 12:59 PM.

5. Member
      Cars
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      06-30-2020 09:48 AM #129
      I will say that we love the ML in our GX460. It really has an amazing sound for being a stock system. Heard a few ML systems while shopping for the LS430 and wasn't impressed but once I heard it in the GX460, it was a must have item.

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      06-30-2020 04:30 PM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      I will say that we love the ML in our GX460. It really has an amazing sound for being a stock system. Heard a few ML systems while shopping for the LS430 and wasn't impressed but once I heard it in the GX460, it was a must have item.
      same, it's one of the better sound systems in an SUV at a reasonable price.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-30-2020 05:12 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      Most people don't get the luxury trim... they're more rare. If you're ever wanting to take the car off road, the airbags are a potential failure point. I was initially looking for luxury trim but will gladly take a premium.

Sidenote: I literally have no business having a gx. I don't have kids (although my gf does), I'm not hauling stuff, terrible gas mileage, etc.... But I'm veryyyyy tempted to get a newer 460 as my only car. The FEEL of them is hard to explain - I just love it. Solid or mechnical in driving feel. Luxurious, safe, etc. It feels like you're actually getting a QUALITY product for your money. The 460 is much more posh and "lexus" feeling than my 470. Sold my tesla and now I'm on the hunt for what to do.... Looking for a CPO 17/18.
      I'm with you there. We have one kid, walk to work and don't off-road. For us, it's more a sense of security as we live in rural western PA and do a lot of road trips west to see my family at home in Western Canada. We don't need a GX, or even our HL, but it gives me peace of mind when my wife and daughter are driving from Pittsburgh home in the winter. Also, I'm starting to do more towing, so I think it's justified.

Quote Originally Posted by downytide View Post

I looked at Canadian prices as I am in fact Canadian, and they are wild. Well equipped, though, with there seemingly only being one trim level.

Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Nothing in the audio system is easily upgraded in a GX460, Levinson or not. The screen incorporated the vehicle systems, navi, audio, HVAC, and other controls, so you can't just swap it out without losing important functions.

My truck is a base with coils and no Levinson. As I understand it, the air suspension rides nominally better and you have the added function of it being adjustable if you're towing or carrying a lot of gear. That said, the conventional setup is still highly effective and bulletproof... the ride is still excellent, particularly with the right tires.

As for the audio, I know a lot of people swear by the ML system. I've also heard of amps going out (my buddy's LS430 had issues) and head units failing and replacement parts are super spendy. I ALWAYS have music on when I drive and I find the stock system more than capable. It may not be audiophile quality, but it's good and it gets the job done. That said, I came from a Mini Clubman with the utterly atrocious stock audio system, so anything is an improvement.
      Interesting. Our JBL is SO bad that it's embarrassing. I'd be buying CPO so I'm not too worried about failures, and I budget for worst-case anyway. That said, I found the coils to be pretty great. I'm test driving a rather over-priced luxury trim next week in Pittsburgh, but at $38k and not budging for a 17, I doubt I'll strike a deal. We're right at break even with trade in value on our current Highlander. We will see... Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      I'm 100% in favor of Mark Levinson audio, I'm an amateur audio snob and cannot stand bad car audio. My daughter and I listen to classical every morning and the crisp clarity of the Mark Levinson system is very noticable. If you don't like Toyota JBL audio, you won't like base Lexus audio which sounds like it's the same thing IMO. I personally passed on some nice GX470s that didn't have the nav/audio package for this specific reason.

As for the air suspension, it's especially nice for towing and/or loading up the hatch heavily (e.g. camping trip with kids and dog and gear and toys and.....). I like mine and make use of it often. On my old 4runner I installed Airlift bags for the same reasons, and if I ever install aftermarket suspension on my GX I would keep airbags in the rear in some form.

I also wanted to add that neither the Nav headunits of air suspension have abnormally high failure rates IMO. Yes, there is a potential for the headunits to fail just like any headunit. The kicker is that if it fails, it's potentially not a cheap fix. But I'm honestly not worried about it. Same with the air suspension. Yes, airbags eventually wear out. But it takes ~150k miles and that happens to all air suspension. Again, not something worth worrying about. Enjoy the features if you like them, and budget for potential car repairs just like you would with any upscale out of warranty car.
      I have a feeling that as soon s I hear it, I'll want it. I'm not an audiophile, but I'm pretty particular by nature of my career choice, so I have a feeling I'll have to have it once I hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      same, it's one of the better sound systems in an SUV at a reasonable price.
      Good to know. I'll report back after my test drive. I found one in Chicago, L-certified, low mileage, luxury trim for a very appealing price. We're talking trade-in value tomorrow for my Highlander. I am not one to roll negative equity into a loan. I rolled a small bit (under $1k) when I bought our Highlander thanks to a wild lack of sleep and my wife believing wholeheartedly that it was THE car. Not willing to do that again. That said, one of the reasons I stick with Toyotas is the re-sale. I've come out so much better than if I had purchased something else.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456