Fourtitude.com - GX460 vs. Highlander: oui or non?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 101 to 125 of 131
    1. Member O2VW1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 9th, 2003
      Posts
      14,374
      Cars
      2015 GTi 6speed
      05-25-2020 09:00 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      I forgot these things also have KDSS. How reliable is this?

      (Reason why I considered 4Runner SR5s at one point)
      Never seen anything go bad with the KDSS and on the street it feels like it drives like a car so little body roll.
      02 GTi 1.8T haldex'd w/35r-SOLD [email protected] 27psi on 93 octane--04 A4 1.8T converted to AWD also- SOLD--'11 JSW Tdi 6speed Manual- Gone--
      13' BMW 335i M-sport EBII

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member Avicenna's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      California
      Posts
      7,625
      Cars
      GX460, RX350L
      05-30-2020 01:46 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by O2VW1.8T View Post
      Never seen anything go bad with the KDSS and on the street it feels like it drives like a car so little body roll.
      I'll echo this. I think KDSS issues are very rare, and i have never encountered it first hand (only online). Considering how many KDSS equipped vehicles Toyota does sell i think it has a great track record. The driving dynamics are night and day, and if you have the choice, always pick KDSS (unless you are chasing a monster lift)

    4. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      So many potholes
      Posts
      17,553
      Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      05-30-2020 03:00 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      Oooh those are nice for truck storage. I'm using Action Packers but I kind of like these Crates better.
      yup, and top tip, the lower ones (like i posted) can flip vertical and fit upright behind the third row even the GX.

      also, KDSS failures are very rare, and the airbag issues seem to be more a 470 than 460 issue, but not sure if that's age or a better design that makes a difference.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

    5. Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      12,051
      Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      05-30-2020 08:49 PM #104
      Not a GX, but my 4Runner has around 115K miles and no issues KDSS. I'm not the original owner, but there's no indication it's ever been touched. Also, I don't have the KDSS lean either, and I wouldn't buy a 4Runner without, and same goes for the GX. It's better on road, and better off road, short of a super high lift.

    6. Member x(why)z's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2010
      Location
      Pennsylvania/British Columbia
      Posts
      1,521
      Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-24-2020 07:55 PM #105
      Is this too good to be true? I'm thinking there must be an accident in the past.
      - Mark Levison
      - Air suspension
      - Captains chairs in the second row
      - Great colour combo (to me)
      - Under $31,000.

      I'm having them appraise my Highlander to see if we can get close to a deal if this thing is legit. I'll probably have to get a carfax. I've settled on getting a 2017 or up GX. 2017 is the sweet spot for me.



      The goods:

    7. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,751
      Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-24-2020 08:02 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Is this too good to be true? I'm thinking there must be an accident in the past.
      - Mark Levison
      - Air suspension
      - Captains chairs in the second row
      - Great colour combo (to me)
      - Under $31,000.

      I'm having them appraise my Highlander to see if we can get close to a deal if this thing is legit. I'll probably have to get a carfax. I've settled on getting a 2017 or up GX. 2017 is the sweet spot for me.



      The goods:
      Yes, it's too good to be true.

      Googled the VIN, found the seller's site:
      https://www.blasiuspreowned.com/used...JM7FX7H5155582

      Clicked on the link to the Autocheck on their site:
      https://www.blasiuspreowned.com/auto...MgAxADEAOQA%3d

      Two accidents reported, then went to auction. Pass.

    8. Member x(why)z's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2010
      Location
      Pennsylvania/British Columbia
      Posts
      1,521
      Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-24-2020 08:03 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      Yes, it's too good to be true.

      Googled the VIN, found the seller's site:
      https://www.blasiuspreowned.com/used...JM7FX7H5155582

      Clicked on the link to the Autocheck on their site:
      https://www.blasiuspreowned.com/auto...MgAxADEAOQA%3d

      Two accidents reported, then went to auction. Pass.
      Good call! I'll remember to do that in the future.

      Hard pass. I'll pay more for perfection.

    9. Member adrew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2003
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      18,757
      Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      06-24-2020 08:06 PM #108
      Edit: slow typer

      Looks like it's had two fender benders if you go to their site and click the AutoCheck... and the interior shows more wear than I would expect in one of these with 50k miles, lots of scuffs and creases and the steering wheel is already shiny
      https://www.blasiuspreowned.com/used...JM7FX7H5155582

      Somethin' ain't quite right with this particular one
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

    10. Member x(why)z's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2010
      Location
      Pennsylvania/British Columbia
      Posts
      1,521
      Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-24-2020 08:13 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Edit: slow typer

      Looks like it's had two fender benders if you go to their site and click the AutoCheck... and the interior shows more wear than I would expect in one of these with 50k miles, lots of scuffs and creases and the steering wheel is already shiny
      https://www.blasiuspreowned.com/used...JM7FX7H5155582

      Somethin' ain't quite right with this particular one
      Good spotting. I was browsing on my phone and would have missed that entirely.

    11. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,751
      Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-24-2020 09:06 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Edit: slow typer

      Looks like it's had two fender benders if you go to their site and click the AutoCheck... and the interior shows more wear than I would expect in one of these with 50k miles, lots of scuffs and creases and the steering wheel is already shiny
      https://www.blasiuspreowned.com/used...JM7FX7H5155582

      Somethin' ain't quite right with this particular one
      Good call on the interior wear, I was also on my phone and didn't notice it.

      That GX has led a hard life. I'm sure someone will finance it at 15% and the cycle will continue.

    12. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,751
      Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-24-2020 09:08 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Good call! I'll remember to do that in the future.

      Hard pass. I'll pay more for perfection.
      Definitely do whatever you can to get the VIN and Google the heck out of it for any vehicle you are considering. I've ran across older Copart salvage auction listings for cars that are now advertised as "Clean title, no accidents"... But the older photos I'm looking at of the front clip ripped off say otherwise.

    13. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      So many potholes
      Posts
      17,553
      Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      06-25-2020 10:12 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      Definitely do whatever you can to get the VIN and Google the heck out of it for any vehicle you are considering. I've ran across older Copart salvage auction listings for cars that are now advertised as "Clean title, no accidents"... But the older photos I'm looking at of the front clip ripped off say otherwise.
      totally agree, nice thing about CPO, you pay more but lexus warranty and presale checks are honestly top notch in the industry. 2 years added warranty, unlimited miles, was a pretty nice sell.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

    14. Member SebTheDJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2003
      Posts
      3,065
      Cars
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      06-25-2020 10:24 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Is this too good to be true? I'm thinking there must be an accident in the past.
      - Mark Levison
      - Air suspension
      - Captains chairs in the second row
      - Great colour combo (to me)
      - Under $31,000.

      I'm having them appraise my Highlander to see if we can get close to a deal if this thing is legit. I'll probably have to get a carfax. I've settled on getting a 2017 or up GX. 2017 is the sweet spot for me.

      [MG]https://www.cstatic-images.com/supersized/in/v1/21121441/JTJJM7FX7H5155582/02b7f7b8390e00a745d1a33a6a71b2fe.jpg[/IMG]

      The goods:
      [IG]https://www.cstatic-images.com/supersized/in/v1/21121441/JTJJM7FX7H5155582/dceb6ec4b35548696f6e1727f1f15f8d.jpg[/IMG]


      Don't get air suspension if your planning to actually offroad it.

    15. Member x(why)z's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2010
      Location
      Pennsylvania/British Columbia
      Posts
      1,521
      Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-26-2020 10:48 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      Definitely do whatever you can to get the VIN and Google the heck out of it for any vehicle you are considering. I've ran across older Copart salvage auction listings for cars that are now advertised as "Clean title, no accidents"... But the older photos I'm looking at of the front clip ripped off say otherwise.
      Great tips! Thank you!

      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      totally agree, nice thing about CPO, you pay more but lexus warranty and presale checks are honestly top notch in the industry. 2 years added warranty, unlimited miles, was a pretty nice sell.
      I have done CPO in the past and always felt the premium was worth it, even just for the peace of mind. Our Highlander has been flawless, but knowing it is covered is certainly great. I found a lovely gold on tan one in Cincinatti that I'm interested in if they would give me the right number on trade for our Highlander. I've only owned the HL for two years on a 4-year note. Probably won't go upside down, but it's close. I sprung for an even more comprehensive warranty when I bought it knowing that we would put a ton of miles on it. COVID changed that to a degree, but we've still racked up a lot of travel over the past couple of summers.

      Quote Originally Posted by SebTheDJ View Post
      Don't get air suspension if your planning to actually offroad it.
      The closest thing to real off-road will be some rugged forest trails, but nothing that will require an absurd amount of articulation. Out Highlander can generally handle the roads we take, but it does not like it one bit. I'm more interested in the GX as it can tow quite a lot more than the Toyota and that matters to me given that I want to yank around my e36 M3, and maybe a little trailer to haul stuff between PA and BC.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2018
      Location
      GTA
      Posts
      270
      Cars
      '91 E30, '91 Volvo 740, '19 Rebel, '20 4R TRD Pro
      06-26-2020 11:03 AM #115
      CHECK THE FRAME!

      We ended up with a 2020 4runner TRD Pro because of it, we saw almost 20 used GX460s, from 2014 (high mileage) to 2018 (super low mileage), one thing we notice was the frame rust, I know most of it is non structural but it was really hard to swallow spending that kind of money on something that's rusting like that already.

      Below is a 2018 with approximately 34k km or 21k miles, this was actually one of the cleaner one, there was a 2014 that looked like it sat in the ocean, I could poke a hole through the gas tank skid plate and the KDSS pump shield with a key, we saw a 2016 that had a very clean frame that was obviously treated yearly, but it was sold the moment we showed up to test drive.






    17. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,751
      Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-26-2020 12:07 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Great tips! Thank you!



      I have done CPO in the past and always felt the premium was worth it, even just for the peace of mind. Our Highlander has been flawless, but knowing it is covered is certainly great. I found a lovely gold on tan one in Cincinatti that I'm interested in if they would give me the right number on trade for our Highlander. I've only owned the HL for two years on a 4-year note. Probably won't go upside down, but it's close. I sprung for an even more comprehensive warranty when I bought it knowing that we would put a ton of miles on it. COVID changed that to a degree, but we've still racked up a lot of travel over the past couple of summers.



      The closest thing to real off-road will be some rugged forest trails, but nothing that will require an absurd amount of articulation. Out Highlander can generally handle the roads we take, but it does not like it one bit. I'm more interested in the GX as it can tow quite a lot more than the Toyota and that matters to me given that I want to yank around my e36 M3, and maybe a little trailer to haul stuff between PA and BC.
      De nada! Also, always check the Lexus Drivers website as you can add any VIN you want to your account and view the service history at Lexus/Toyota dealers.

      Lexus CPO is very strict and won't accept any questionable vehicle. At least that's now my local dealer is. If they're selling it on their lot, I trust it. And you'll pay a bit of a premium but it's worth it.

      I agree for the air suspension - you'll be fine. Even if you ever want to take it on "green" 4x4 trails, the air suspension is fine. And if you get to the point of wanting to hit harder trails, a GX isn't the best choice for that anyway. Or you can rip out the air suspension and swap in aftermarket stuff. GX470 and 460 air suspension works very well 99.9% of the time and doesn't have an issue until parts eventually wear out. The benefits are nice and it's easily repairable if/when it's needed.

    18. Member geofftii2002's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2001
      Location
      Saint Looouueeee.
      Posts
      15,172
      Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      06-26-2020 12:12 PM #117
      I would shop Lexus dealers or other higher end dealers for trade-ins. A buy-here-pay-here lot in Waterbury, CT would be the last place I'd look.

      My GX was a "southernish" truck that spent its life in Springfield, MO so the underside is spotless. There were plenty of cheaper options in St. Louis and Chicago, but the amount of salt exposure didn't appeal. It's worth taking your time to find a good 'un.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

    19. 06-26-2020 01:17 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by downytide View Post
      CHECK THE FRAME!

      We ended up with a 2020 4runner TRD Pro because of it, we saw almost 20 used GX460s, from 2014 (high mileage) to 2018 (super low mileage), one thing we notice was the frame rust, I know most of it is non structural but it was really hard to swallow spending that kind of money on something that's rusting like that already.

      Below is a 2018 with approximately 34k km or 21k miles, this was actually one of the cleaner one, there was a 2014 that looked like it sat in the ocean, I could poke a hole through the gas tank skid plate and the KDSS pump shield with a key, we saw a 2016 that had a very clean frame that was obviously treated yearly, but it was sold the moment we showed up to test drive.





      If you live anywear in the rust belt ur 4runner will look that way shortly.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2018
      Location
      GTA
      Posts
      270
      Cars
      '91 E30, '91 Volvo 740, '19 Rebel, '20 4R TRD Pro
      06-26-2020 02:20 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by NYCgolf View Post
      If you live anywear in the rust belt ur 4runner will look that way shortly.
      Just had it coated, took my time and remove the wheels, skid plates etc.

      I noticed most GX owners don't bother with those preventive measures.

    21. Member x(why)z's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2010
      Location
      Pennsylvania/British Columbia
      Posts
      1,521
      Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-27-2020 12:29 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by downytide View Post
      CHECK THE FRAME!

      We ended up with a 2020 4runner TRD Pro because of it, we saw almost 20 used GX460s, from 2014 (high mileage) to 2018 (super low mileage), one thing we notice was the frame rust, I know most of it is non structural but it was really hard to swallow spending that kind of money on something that's rusting like that already.

      Below is a 2018 with approximately 34k km or 21k miles, this was actually one of the cleaner one, there was a 2014 that looked like it sat in the ocean, I could poke a hole through the gas tank skid plate and the KDSS pump shield with a key, we saw a 2016 that had a very clean frame that was obviously treated yearly, but it was sold the moment we showed up to test drive.
      Will do! I'm extending my search farther south as I live in the heart of the rust-belt. We had a 4Runner V8 for four years, and it was insanely rusty underneath. Heck, I find the level of corrosion starting to show on our Highlnader unacceptable.

      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      De nada! Also, always check the Lexus Drivers website as you can add any VIN you want to your account and view the service history at Lexus/Toyota dealers.

      Lexus CPO is very strict and won't accept any questionable vehicle. At least that's now my local dealer is. If they're selling it on their lot, I trust it. And you'll pay a bit of a premium but it's worth it.

      I agree for the air suspension - you'll be fine. Even if you ever want to take it on "green" 4x4 trails, the air suspension is fine. And if you get to the point of wanting to hit harder trails, a GX isn't the best choice for that anyway. Or you can rip out the air suspension and swap in aftermarket stuff. GX470 and 460 air suspension works very well 99.9% of the time and doesn't have an issue until parts eventually wear out. The benefits are nice and it's easily repairable if/when it's needed.
      Will do! And thanks for the air suspension advice. I just don't see us really venturing onto any kind of really extreme terrain. I hate recent GM too much to buy a Tahoe, I don't trust Ford's turbo V6, and a Durango is a bit gauche, so I've arrived back at a Toyota... as I always seem to do. I really want an LC, but I can't swing it in good conscious.

      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      I would shop Lexus dealers or other higher end dealers for trade-ins. A buy-here-pay-here lot in Waterbury, CT would be the last place I'd look.

      My GX was a "southernish" truck that spent its life in Springfield, MO so the underside is spotless. There were plenty of cheaper options in St. Louis and Chicago, but the amount of salt exposure didn't appeal. It's worth taking your time to find a good 'un.
      Touche! I guess I just got excited. I'm sticking to CPO on my search and looking south a fair distance. The one in Cincinnati is quite appealing.

      Quote Originally Posted by NYCgolf View Post
      If you live anywear in the rust belt ur 4runner will look that way shortly.
      Our 4Runner was BAD.

      Quote Originally Posted by downytide View Post
      Just had it coated, took my time and remove the wheels, skid plates etc.

      I noticed most GX owners don't bother with those preventive measures.
      I'll undercoat a GX yearly. I don't love our HL enough.

    22. 06-28-2020 07:22 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by downytide View Post
      Just had it coated, took my time and remove the wheels, skid plates etc.

      I noticed most GX owners don't bother with those preventive measures.
      What rust coating did you go with?

    23. Member x(why)z's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2010
      Location
      Pennsylvania/British Columbia
      Posts
      1,521
      Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-29-2020 08:05 AM #122
      Another question: How much will I regret not getting the Luxury trim with the air suspension and Mark Levison audio?
      There's an L-certified GX in Pittsburgh that the dealer is willing to deal on. They're asking $28,995 with 69,000 miles. Or should I pay an extra $5-6000 for one with the luxury package?

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2006
      Posts
      4,343
      Cars
      Ram & S4
      06-29-2020 08:08 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Mark Levison audio?
      How important is a good audio system to you?

    25. Member x(why)z's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2010
      Location
      Pennsylvania/British Columbia
      Posts
      1,521
      Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-29-2020 08:11 AM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      How important is a good audio system to you?
      Well, the JBL "premium" audio in our Highlander is horrific. Muddled, rattly, and overall a disappointment. That said, I'm not really an audiophile, more of a semi-passionate amateur listener of jazz and classical. I think it's the air suspension I'm most curious about.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      2,245
      Cars
      GX470; Model 3 dual motor appliance
      06-29-2020 09:02 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Well, the JBL "premium" audio in our Highlander is horrific. Muddled, rattly, and overall a disappointment. That said, I'm not really an audiophile, more of a semi-passionate amateur listener of jazz and classical. I think it's the air suspension I'm most curious about.
      Most people don't get the luxury trim... they're more rare. If you're ever wanting to take the car off road, the airbags are a potential failure point. I was initially looking for luxury trim but will gladly take a premium.


      Sidenote: I literally have no business having a gx. I don't have kids (although my gf does), I'm not hauling stuff, terrible gas mileage, etc.... But I'm veryyyyy tempted to get a newer 460 as my only car. The FEEL of them is hard to explain - I just love it. Solid or mechnical in driving feel. Luxurious, safe, etc. It feels like you're actually getting a QUALITY product for your money. The 460 is much more posh and "lexus" feeling than my 470. Sold my tesla and now I'm on the hunt for what to do.... Looking for a CPO 17/18.

    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •