Fourtitude.com - GX460 vs. Highlander: oui or non?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1. 05-20-2020 08:01 AM #51
      honestly, i can't think of ANYTHING else on the market that ticks all the boxes like the GX does (and land cruiser of course), but they GX does it at a better price point.

- Real off road capability
      - Real luxury, not just leather seats and a badge
      - Reliability and Durability
      - V8

The 4Runner only ticks 2 boxes, Wrangler just one, Tahoe 1.5, Denali 2, G class 3...
      Best part, you don't have to search around for one with 4WD and nice options... because every GX comes with those things standard.

When I was looking for my GX, I also *considered* the 4Runner.. but after searching for ones with 4wd and heated seats, it narrowed down the search to only a few 4runners that were asking an arm and a leg; I paid less for my GX premium and i'm so happy i have the V8 + 6 speed combo.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      05-20-2020 08:03 AM #52
      Does the 4.6 need the regular timing belt changes like the 4.7 did?

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      05-20-2020 10:28 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Does the 4.6 need the regular timing belt changes like the 4.7 did?
      it's a chain and there isn't a service interval. i mentioned this a few pages back there is a known (and uncommon) issue, but some do have timing chain cover leaks. it's about a $2k fix and usually is fairly apparent when looking at one under the hood.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

5. 05-20-2020 10:46 AM #54
      If one has the means, can't imagine even considering a highlander over the 460.

6. Member
      Cars
      '91 E30, '91 Volvo 740, '19 Rebel, '20 4R TRD Pro
      05-20-2020 11:03 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      it's a chain and there isn't a service interval. i mentioned this a few pages back there is a known (and uncommon) issue, but some do have timing chain cover leaks. it's about a $2k fix and usually is fairly apparent when looking at one under the hood.
      That's like annual maintenance for European cars.

Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      05-20-2020 12:50 PM #56
      Wife loves it. I love it. It's so much better than our Highlander even if it isn't as well equipped. Speaking of which, the heated seat controls are bizarre int hat they're on the seat bottoms.

That said, there are a few things:

A small tear in the side of the seat. Not worried.

Scuffed bumper. No biggie.

Bigger concerns:
      Repainted front bumper. Carfax shows no accidents, but the prior owner bumped into their garage.

In the middle:
      The frame shows pretty typical amounts of surface rust.

I, like Jason Cammisa and Derek Tam Hyphen Scott, appreciate seeing a vehicle with Michelins.

The ownership history is solid. The valve gaskets are spotless and dry.

I don't know what to do. BAsed not he front bumper, I think I could get it for a song. The dealer hasn't sold a car in ages due to COVID and just reopened. They're thirsty.

8. 05-20-2020 12:55 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Wife loves it. I love it. It's so much better than our Highlander even if it isn't as well equipped. Speaking of which, the heated seat controls are bizarre int hat they're on the seat bottoms.
      If the seat heater controls are not in the center console, then they are aftermarket.

Cars
      05-20-2020 01:01 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      If the seat heater controls are not in the center console, then they are aftermarket.

I thought something was odd. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I think it may be best to wait for one with more features.

05-20-2020 01:05 PM #59
      Glad to hear she liked it! Win-win situation.

However, it's not like these are rare. I would pass on that one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      05-20-2020 01:12 PM #60
      You played it right. Now that she's in love with it, you can work about finding the best example of it, and never look back.

12. 05-20-2020 02:13 PM #61
      Isnt GX460 BOF Body on Frame from the 4runner and the Highlander is a unibody off the Camry platform.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      05-20-2020 03:16 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      Thanks, that was my best recollection as well. Not that the 4.7 maintenance schedule was onerous, but it usually explains why 4.7 powered 'yotas are so often sold at 90k mile intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      You played it right. Now that she's in love with it, you can work about finding the best example of it, and never look back.
      This. Find a nicer one now that you know what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      Isnt GX460 BOF Body on Frame from the 4runner and the Highlander is a unibody off the Camry platform.
      I believe that is correct. GX and 4R definitely share the same (older) BOF platform.

Highlander might be less straightforward since I think it's on some variation of TNG.
      Last edited by Sporin; 05-20-2020 at 03:18 PM.

14. Member
      Cars
      Ram & S4
      05-20-2020 03:18 PM #63
      Where is it priced right now? For me, I am not a fan of aftermarket options installed. Do you have a few options in your area?

15. 05-20-2020 03:26 PM #64
      Congrats on figuring out you like it, and even bigger props on passing up the instant gratification. That one is rough, there will be plenty more in much better shape. Typical Lexus buyer treats their vehicle much better than that.

Cars
      a Metro pass.
      05-20-2020 03:35 PM #65
      Glad you've seen the goodness in the GX. I hope a bit nicer one comes along for you soon.

Also I'm enchanted by your neighborhood, I love old residential streets and those perfect little turn of the century houses and the brick paved street are too charming.
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Cars
      05-20-2020 03:46 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post

Agreed. I think I'm going to hold out until I find just the right example for us.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post

Completely agree.

Precisely! We've got nothing but time lately, and I'm in no rush.

Thanks, that was my best recollection as well. Not that the 4.7 maintenance schedule was onerous, but it usually explains why 4.7 powered 'yotas are so often sold at 90k mile intervals.

This. Find a nicer one now that you know what you want.

I believe that is correct. GX and 4R definitely share the same (older) BOF platform.

Highlander might be less straightforward since I think it's on some variation of TNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      Where is it priced right now? For me, I am not a fan of aftermarket options installed. Do you have a few options in your area?
      I have them at $22,500. But for a few thousand more I can find a lovely example.

Quote Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
      Congrats on figuring out you like it, and even bigger props on passing up the instant gratification. That one is rough, there will be plenty more in much better shape. Typical Lexus buyer treats their vehicle much better than that.
      Thanks! I think so, too. Not worth rushing in to. I'll just keep paying off the Highlander until a better example shows up. There is a lovely one nearby, but it's a private sale. I'd have to sell my Highlander first as there's no point in paying for two SUVs to sit idle for months on end at this point. No point in rushing.

Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Glad you've seen the goodness in the GX. I hope a bit nicer one comes along for you soon.

Also I'm enchanted by your neighborhood, I love old residential streets and those perfect little turn of the century houses and the brick paved street are too charming.
      Thanks! Homes are obscenely cheap where we live. This thing costs us less than our yearly salary. Like, the whole cost. It's absolutely obscene. We're currently debating moving into something much larger or adding onto this one. The nice thing about this house is that it's on a 1/4 acre lot in town and one block from our offices at the local college. It's a super charming house, but it is a ton of work to keep up. I appreciate the kind words!

18. Member
      Cars
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      05-20-2020 03:57 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post

Thanks! Homes are obscenely cheap where we live. This thing costs us less than our yearly salary. Like, the whole cost. It's absolutely obscene. We're currently debating moving into something much larger or adding onto this one. The nice thing about this house is that it's on a 1/4 acre lot in town and one block from our offices at the local college. It's a super charming house, but it is a ton of work to keep up. I appreciate the kind words!
      Wont lie you have me very interested in the GX's, never really looked at them before.

Also, your city sounds a lot like my city that I live in, may I ask where you are at? Bought a house a couple years ago, American Foursquare built in 1910, way cheaper than renting because the cost is so low. I also used to live in Philadelphia and one side of my family is from various areas all around PA.

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      05-20-2020 04:11 PM #68
      I'm glad you were able to drive one and get the wife on board, and I'm glad you're passing on that example.

I agree that for ~$25-27k you can find a flawless example at a Lexus dealer or the like. I would absolutely pursue that option.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      05-20-2020 04:13 PM #69

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      05-20-2020 04:17 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post

Full agreement on the 4.7L 2UZ-FE, so many are sold in the high-80k mile range or the 160-170k mile range right before the timing belt and water pump are due. It's not a terrible job but you just have to budget either $2k at the dealer or $1k to DIY it with OEM parts.

If you want to get all technical and nerdy, the GX460 is just a badge engineered Toyota Prado with lots of options. The 4runner aka Hilux Surf is an offshoot of the Prado with a different frame, but shares many of the chassis/suspension/drivetrain components.

The Highlander has always been a unibody CUV, though I never paid attention to which chassis architecture it is built from.

22. Member
      Cars
      Ram & S4
      05-20-2020 05:42 PM #71
      How many miles are on it at that price? I guess my search has me looking at newer years and under 40k miles, $22.5 sounds great!

My sister is in Collegeville, what part of PA are you?

Cars
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      05-20-2020 05:54 PM #72
      Gx460 is probably the most bullet proof vehicle out there right now

Cars
      05-20-2020 05:56 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonk2Hossa View Post
      Wont lie you have me very interested in the GX's, never really looked at them before.

Also, your city sounds a lot like my city that I live in, may I ask where you are at? Bought a house a couple years ago, American Foursquare built in 1910, way cheaper than renting because the cost is so low. I also used to live in Philadelphia and one side of my family is from various areas all around PA.
      WE live in a little town called Meadville. It's utter tripe in town as it is the county seat, but we live in a lovely neighbourhood on the north side near our workplace - a liberal arts college. The town is actually quite charming if you can overlook the less savoury elements milling about. It's 3 pontiacs with hatchet man stickers for every BMW or Mercedes. That seems like an accurate way to describe the vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      I'm glad you were able to drive one and get the wife on board, and I'm glad you're passing on that example.

I agree that for ~$25-27k you can find a flawless example at a Lexus dealer or the like. I would absolutely pursue that option.
      Totally agree. I'm stoked. I waited almost a year when I bought my M3 as I wanted a full service history and a clear history of being loved. I'm a patient person when it comes to vehicles.

We head west a few times a year in non-COVID times, so that may actually be an option. Might be the move.

Cars
      05-20-2020 05:59 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      How many miles are on it at that price? I guess my search has me looking at newer years and under 40k miles, $22.5 sounds great!

My sister is in Collegeville, what part of PA are you?
      Western PA, north of Pittsburgh, south of Erie. And yeah, it's a good price, but a marginal example. I'm going to be patient and grab a later one with more options when the right example appears.

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      05-20-2020 06:42 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by SebTheDJ View Post
      Gx460 is probably the most bullet proof vehicle out there right now
      When I see statements like this I feel the need to clarify them a bit.

Toyota and Lexus products are very reliable, but a bit demanding on proper parts and maintenance. These aren't 90s Honda bulletproof where you can take it to Jiffy Lube once every 10k and it'll be happy, you need to follow the maintenance schedule and give it OEM or equivalent parts and fluids. You may still kill an alternator and starter, or wear out some suspension parts, but that stuff happens on all cars.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast