Fourtitude.com - I lost Navigation, App Connect and voice dialing after a visit to VW dealership
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Junior Member
      Cars
      GSW TDI 2015
      05-07-2020 03:39 PM #1
      This tale of woe will be of interest to anyone who is planning to upgrade their base model Mk7 Golf to OEM navigation. I don't see an area for ODIS-related stories, so I hope I am posting in the correct area. I drive a 2015 Golf TDi Wagen, which left the factory without navigation. The glove box unit is MIB1, so I sourced an MIB2 version to make the navigation possible. I also replaced my 5.8" screen with an 8" glass screen. Both came from LKQ, a nationwide auto breaker. Install was trouble free and I was delighted to find navigation, voice dialing and App Connect were already working. A banner on screen said Component Protection is active. So I made an appointment to visit the VW dealer to have this removed. Apparently they use ODIS, which is a dealer tool that connects the car audio system to VW via the internet. This ODIS tool matches the replacement hardware with my VIN. The dealer was happy to see me and I headed to the customer waiting area. After a long wait, the technician came through to the waiting area to deliver some bad news. He removed Component Protection but he was unable to code the new glove box unit to operate in my car. I asked what was wrong and he said VW have said I need to buy new parts. Apparently they are not allowing me to retro fit the parts from LKQ. If that is the case, then buyers beware. You could spend a lot of cash on legitimate parts and then be refused by VW. So I now wonder if there is an alternative solution. Has anyone heard of this problem before? Am I getting it wrong, maybe? Or does VW think I'm a thief dealing in stolen car audio?
      Last edited by The Scotsman 1; 05-08-2020 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Spelling error

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2016 Jetta GLI, 2015 Audi A3
      05-07-2020 05:05 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by The Scotsman 1 View Post
      This tail of woe will be of interest to anyone who is planning to upgrade their base model Mk7 Golf to OEM navigation. I don't see an area for ODIS-related stories, so I hope I am posting in the correct area. I drive a 2015 Golf TDi Wagen, which left the factory without navigation. The glove box unit is MIB1, so I sourced an MIB2 version to make the navigation possible. I also replaced my 5.8" screen with an 8" glass screen. Both came from LKQ, a nationwide auto breaker. Install was trouble free and I was delighted to find navigation, voice dialing and App Connect were already working. A banner on screen said Component Protection is active. So I made an appointment to visit the VW dealer to have this removed. Apparently they use ODIS, which is a dealer tool that connects the car audio system to VW via the internet. This ODIS tool matches the replacement hardware with my VIN. The dealer was happy to see me and I headed to the customer waiting area. After a long wait, the technician came through to the waiting area to deliver some bad news. He removed Component Protection but he was unable to code the new glove box unit to operate in my car. I asked what was wrong and he said VW have said I need to buy new parts. Apparently they are not allowing me to retro fit the parts from LKQ. If that is the case, then buyers beware. You could spend a lot of cash on legitimate parts and then be refused by VW. So I now wonder if there is an alternative solution. Has anyone heard of this problem before? Am I getting it wrong, maybe? Or does VW think I'm a thief dealing in stolen car audio?
      Once component protection is removed, a lot of features will not work like navigation...etc. The reason for this is that the FEC codes are not tied to your VIN. Basically what that means is that once component protection is removed, ODIS calls back to the VW servers in Germany to see what features are tied to your VIN. If your car didn’t come with navigation, navigation will be disabled on the MIB2. There’s no way for the dealer to add the FEC code to your VIN either. They are wrong in saying you need to buy new parts. Do not waste your money buying a new MIB2 unit from them as the same thing will happen once component protection is removed.

The only way to retrofit MIB2 and have all features is to have the unit hacked. There are only a few companies in the world that do this and none of them are in the US. Obviously the VW dealer will not support this so don’t ask them about hacking the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk