Fourtitude.com - Bought a thing... a Blue thing (New GT4)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2020 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      05-06-2020 02:21 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Subaruski1 View Post
      Son, in this post OP buys $100k Porsche and lives in the projects
      It's not the projects, it's an 1100 sq. ft. apartment (+ no kids).
      I have different priorities
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      MK4 R32, 987.1 Cayman S, Outback wagon
      05-06-2020 04:33 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Not bad at all - surprised Porsche just doesn't offer a "Sport Gearing" option from the factory and charge a few grand.
      The long gears have always been intentional on Porsche's part to ensure that the Cayman/Boxster/GT4 is never quicker than the equivalent 911
      The Car Lounge summed up

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

4. Member
      Cars
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      05-06-2020 04:46 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      The long gears have always been intentional on Porsche's part to ensure that the Cayman/Boxster/GT4 is never quicker than the equivalent 911
      911s hit 80 in 2nd as well, it's one of my least favorite things about porsche. Offer a "street gear" pack on both models - done!

Cars
      S4, R32
      05-06-2020 04:47 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Subaruski1 View Post
      Son, in this post OP buys $100k Porsche and lives in the projects
      hey man, have some respect for Cleveland, at least it's not Detroit.

welcome to the layer cake

Cars
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      05-06-2020 06:00 PM #80
      great spec (minus the black door handles )

the yellow stitching and interior bits actually works great with the Miami blue.

Cars
      9.5 Brannock
      05-06-2020 06:36 PM #81
      The non-alcantara steering wheel is clutch.

Hoping to place an order for a GTS 4.0 about a year from now. The GT4 is undoubtedly cool, but I will never track the thing, and the GTS gets me the 95% I'm content with on the street. Still, I think the GT4 is the best value prop of any current Porsche.

8. Member
      Cars
      05-06-2020 07:02 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Haha probably worth it to have those enormous brakes. Didn't know there was a Michelin option too. I think you're on Rennlist, I've seen a few lightly used winter sets in various sizes at good prices there in the Fall. I never got around to getting the 19" set last winter but I'm hoping to this winter, either new or used depending on what I can find.
      The brakes were one of my "must have" options, and from initial tests they are really good. Yes, I'm on Rennlist under the same name (and I posted the same thread there in the 718 GT4 section )

Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      great spec (minus the black door handles )

the yellow stitching and interior bits actually works great with the Miami blue.
      Well as stated, it was 95% of what I wanted.
      The black door handles I'm not a huge fan of but... they don't really bother me that much.

I was originally set on the silver stitching and thought the yellow was going to be too much - but this has definitely changed my mind about that. I actually love the full yellow stitching.
      Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 05-06-2020 at 07:10 PM.

05-06-2020 08:17 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      x2. I spent some time playing with the configurator and my ideal spec would be Miami Blue with a few of the yellow accent interior options available.
      I see a Miami Blue Macan nearly every day and am a big fan of the color.

Very nice pickup OP, enjoy it!
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

Cars
      2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      05-07-2020 09:09 AM #84
      Very very nice! I got to drive four? five? different Porsches back in 2017 at Mid America as part of a Porsche driving event; I fell in love with the Cayman GTS.

If you find entertaining drives around Cleveland, please share. Judging by the complex, I'm betting your either west side or south of the city, but for me, I head east for curvy roads.

11. Member
      Cars
      05-07-2020 10:33 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      Very very nice! I got to drive four? five? different Porsches back in 2017 at Mid America as part of a Porsche driving event; I fell in love with the Cayman GTS.

If you find entertaining drives around Cleveland, please share. Judging by the complex, I'm betting your either west side or south of the city, but for me, I head east for curvy roads.
      East/Southeast:
      Riverview Rd. heading south into Akron: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.3...m3!4m2!3e0!5i1

West:
      Hwy 252 west of Strongsville (freshly paved within the last couple years, smooth blacktop, and 45+ speed limit): https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gibb...d41.192527!3e0

Southeast, but ~3 hour drive:
      And for the best you can get if you're willing to road trip it, the Hocking Hills around Athens/Nelsonville: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3982626,-82.3349257,11z

12. 05-07-2020 09:49 PM #86
      Love your blue one. It’s amazing. This is a bucket list car too. Maybe my next car?

13. Member
      Cars
      C7 Corvette
      05-08-2020 08:04 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      911s hit 80 in 2nd as well, it's one of my least favorite things about porsche. Offer a "street gear" pack on both models - done!
      I'm not sure if there are rules like this for cars, but in the motorcycle world, a lot of bikes have really tall gearing for noise levels. I believe there's a test where the measure the sound level at a given speed in a given gear. so if it's geared higher, the engine isn't screaming and it's quieter.

14. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman | 2019 R | 2015 Golf
      05-08-2020 10:15 AM #88
      I've been thinking about Porsche gearing lately and had the following thought regarding the high hp models like these 4.0L 718's or GT3 911's. Based on the power level 1st has to be kind of long does it not? A fairly light car with 400 to 500 hp and a short first gear would be basically undrivable at full throttle, it would blow through 1st and into the rev limiter so fast you couldn't possibly catch it. I've never read anyone who says that 1st feels terrible. Now if 1st is reasonable at WOT I'm guessing there is a magic number of seconds (3?) that Porsche thinks a gear should be in at WOT. If 2nd was short with a 65mph redline point then you would blow through second in 1.5 seconds at WOT, I don't know about you guys but I'm not Mark Weber and I doubt I could bang through gears in 1.5 seconds.

I get it that the gears feel too long for the street but I think this is just a side effect of the cars being TOO FAST for WOT on the street. Unless we were going to build a wide open autobahn style road system these cars will never be fully exploitable legally on the street.

My base 987.2 tops out at 110kph in 2nd vs these 4.0L cars that top out at 130kph in second, I'm guessing time at WOT in each gear is basically the same, just the the new cars need to come with a get out of jail free card.

I've heard that the 991.2 Carrera T's had shorter gearing, which combined with the lower redline and mid range torque made for a fairly frenetic driving experience.

15. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-08-2020 10:34 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      I've been thinking about Porsche gearing lately and had the following thought regarding the high hp models like these 4.0L 718's or GT3 911's.
      Yeah, I think about it a lot too. I've been told I'm wrong here by some and expect to again, but I maintain it's a "virtual" dogleg--left+down 1st is just deleted. I mean, 911s had doglegs through the 60s and early 70s when they were generally <200hp. They lost them in the 70s when they started consistently being >200hp and needed taller 4 and 5 to hit higher speeds. So if you consider that 1-6 on a GT4 is actually 2-7, it's geared more typically and even on the shorter side.

Porsche also consistently seems far more concerned with 10/10 performance and tracks than they are with being able to gun it from 2-4k RPM on the street. I don't think 1st in these is so short to damage the all-out 0-60 time much, and that time isn't of much importance on the track anyway. I know in my 718 S, the torque is clearly being limited from around 1500 to 4000 RPM. That's great for being linear on the track, but it's clear they are choosing that at the expense of a low-RPM rocket.

16. Member
      Cars
      05-08-2020 10:41 AM #90
      Yeah, I think about it a lot too. I've been told I'm wrong here by some and expect to again, but I maintain it's a "virtual" dogleg--left+down 1st is just deleted. I mean, 911s had doglegs through the 60s and early 70s when they were generally <200hp. They lost them in the 70s when they started consistently being >200hp and needed taller 4 and 5 to hit higher speeds. So if you consider that 1-6 on a GT4 is actually 2-7, it's geared more typically and even on the shorter side.

Porsche also consistently seems far more concerned with 10/10 performance and tracks than they are with being able to gun it from 2-4k RPM on the street. I don't think 1st in these is so short to damage the all-out 0-60 time much, and that time isn't of much importance on the track anyway. I know in my 718 S, the torque is clearly being limited from around 1500 to 4000 RPM. That's great for being linear on the track, but it's clear they are choosing that at the expense of a low-RPM rocket.
      In your 718, have you noticed the big difference between Sport and Sport+? Sport for me was great low-down torque, and then it plateau'd higher up (felt like it was meant for sporty street driving). Sport+ was clearly meant for track driving with a completely linear feel at the expense of feeling like you're missing a ton of torque low down.

As for 1st gear, right now it feels ragged if I push the RPMs high in it - almost like it's begging me to short shift and really start using 2nd gear. This could be due to me only having ~120mi on it too...
      Also, 6th is definitely not the same as the PDK 7th gear in the other Caymans. I could cruise comfortably in 7th at 80mph around 2500rpm(?guessing?). The GT4 would have me at ~3300rpm in 6th at 80mph

17. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-08-2020 11:07 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      In your 718, have you noticed the big difference between Sport and Sport+? Sport for me was great low-down torque, and then it plateau'd higher up (felt like it was meant for sporty street driving). Sport+ was clearly meant for track driving with a completely linear feel at the expense of feeling like you're missing a ton of torque low down.

As for 1st gear, right now it feels ragged if I push the RPMs high in it - almost like it's begging me to short shift and really start using 2nd gear. This could be due to me only having ~120mi on it too...
      Also, 6th is definitely not the same as the PDK 7th gear in the other Caymans. I could cruise comfortably in 7th at 80mph around 2500rpm(?guessing?). The GT4 would have me at ~3300rpm in 6th at 80mph
      I actually really hate the clock in the dash of my Cayenne and so and skipped sport chrono on the options sheet. Normal and sport definitely have different throttle mappings though, almost like a sprint booster type of effect. WOT for WOT I think they're the same though; I guess my point is that the max boost at low RPM is being limited to keep boost even across the range. Whereas in something like a B58 they give you all the torque as soon as it's available and it has a "holy $!#@" effect, but when you wind up a B58 it doesn't add a whole lot to the experience.

As far as 7th, yeah, definitely not 1:1 with PDK or even the 7MT in the 911. PDK gears aren't quite as bad but they're still tall, and the 3/4/5 in the MT are pretty closely spaced. And yeah, I imagine high RPM in any gear with a three-digit-odometer wouldn't be a particularly happy on a high performance motor like that. Break in is a PITA, but the good news is, odometers only go up.

18. Member
      Cars
      05-08-2020 11:16 AM #92
      Break in is a PITA, but the good news is, odometers only go up.
      In order for them to go up (with having PSC2 tires) - the temperatures need to go up too

19. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-08-2020 11:21 AM #93
      In order for them to go up (with having PSC2 tires) - the temperatures need to go up too
      Hang in there! You're gonna have so much fun with that thing.

20. Member
      Cars
      05-10-2020 08:04 PM #94
      Gotten to over 200 miles so far and I have some better driving impressions:
      • The suspension is so much better than my original 718 Base. It does not get unsettled by anything and just eats up road imperfections. You feel them, but they're not affecting the ride.
      • Along with the suspension, the steering is a little lighter than my 718 - still insanely communicative but lighter. Also, the steering seems to follow road imperfections more as well - this could be just due to the default setup. Its not bad, it's just something I noticed.
      • PSE on/off makes minimal difference to my ears
      • Sport suspension setting isn't drastic, but it becomes a little bouncier on harsher roads
      • Gearbox is super notchy in some gears right now, especially 1st. Hope this will smooth out as I drive it more
      • Tire noise + engine noise does not make this a nice highway cruiser listening to tunes, but I sort of expected this
      • I have not owned a N/A car before, so I'm having to get used to the instant throttle response. It's quite intoxicating
      • Even at 2-3k RPM there is plenty of torque. You absolutely do not need to wring it out to have fun.

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 05-10-2020 at 08:11 PM.

21. Member
      Cars
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      05-10-2020 11:01 PM #95
      Day-amn! Noice.

It's not the projects, it's an 1100 sq. ft. apartment (+ no kids).
      I have different priorities
      I'd add a smartass remark about $100K car/have to save up for $4K tires, but I only own an SS because I bought my house ten years ago* so I'll STFU with TFL ****.

*=In North Las Vegas at that
      Last edited by TJSwoboda; 05-10-2020 at 11:04 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models. We can also text and drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You only live once, and you can file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy every 8 years.

Cars
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition
      05-10-2020 11:38 PM #96
      Anyone can post pics of a GT4. I want an exhaust clip!
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

23. 05-11-2020 09:23 AM #97
      Gorgeous car. When does the next gen Cayman come out? Must be soon now.

24. Member
      Cars
      Greyvdub since 2005; '18 Stelvio Sport, '14 Abarth, '99 M-Coupe, '74 Fulvia
      05-11-2020 09:30 AM #98
      Gotten to over 200 miles so far and I have some better driving impressions:
      Awesome impressions. Incredible car.

Drive over to Mom's to use her hose?

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      05-11-2020 09:48 AM #99
      I actually think I'd prefer a Cayman GT4 to a 911 GT3. It's just the right size.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

26. Member
      Cars
      05-11-2020 09:48 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
      Day-amn! Noice.

I'd add a smartass remark about $100K car/have to save up for $4K tires, but I only own an SS because I bought my house ten years ago* so I'll STFU with TFL ****.

*=In North Las Vegas at that
      Not sure I mentioned needing to "save up" for it (because I don't) - $4k just still sucks to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Gorgeous car. When does the next gen Cayman come out? Must be soon now.
      There's still the GTS 4.0 (later this year), GT4 RS (plenty of spy shots on the 'ring), then PDK on the GT4(!)/GTS 4.0. I actually think the current 718 is sticking around for another couple years at least.
      Most expect the next iteration to possibly have a hybrid variant as well.
      There's also not been so much as a mule shot of the new 718

Quote Originally Posted by greyvdub_v2.0 View Post
      Awesome impressions. Incredible car.

Drive over to Mom's to use her hose?
      If by "mom" you mean mother-in-law, and if by "hose" you mean downpour then yes!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast