Fourtitude.com - Bought a thing... a Blue thing (New GT4)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    1. 05-11-2020 10:03 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      I actually think I'd prefer a Cayman GT4 to a 911 GT3. It's just the right size.
      One billion percent.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-11-2020 10:04 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      There's still the GTS 4.0 (later this year), GT4 RS (plenty of spy shots on the 'ring), then PDK on the GT4(!)/GTS 4.0. I actually think the current 718 is sticking around for another couple years at least.
      Most expect the next iteration to possibly have a hybrid variant as well.
      There's also not been so much as a mule shot of the new 718
      I agree; even though 718 is somewhere between a facelift and a new model, it seems pretty clear from part numbers and branding that Porsche intends for it to be the later. Given their 7-8 year model cycle, we might see a mild refresh in the next year or two but I don't think there's a replacement until 2017+7 = MY 2024.

Also talk about a full EV version sooner than that which might be sold side by side. Personally I'd expect a Taycan-style front and rear end fitted and a RWD only EV motor on a pancaked MEB.

4. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman | 2019 R | 2015 Golf
      05-11-2020 10:32 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Gorgeous car. When does the next gen Cayman come out? Must be soon now.
      I believe Porsche has stated that the next gen of their "entry level" sports car, the car that will replace the Boxster/Cayman, will be electric. That car was expected to debut in 2024, but perhaps it will be pushed back a year (I pray) due to COVID19. I'm not sure if the plan was to instantly kill the Boxster/Cayman or keep them around for a bit along side the electric replacements, hopefully the later. I don't think there will be another generation of ICE entry level sports cars from Porsche, they just don't sell well enough to justify the investment I'm guessing.

I really hope that interview where someone high up at Porsche said he'd like to do a total back to basics small and light ICE sports car comes to fruition. It would be great to have a Porsche MX-5 as a swan song to the ICE era.

5. Member
      Cars
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      05-11-2020 02:47 PM #104
      Not sure I mentioned needing to "save up" for it (because I don't) - $4k just still sucks to spend.
      Sorry, just joining the envious ballbusting of a guy with a droolworthy car. Possibly in the next year or two I might have a purchase that's approaching this level...
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models. We can also text and drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You only live once, and you can file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy every 8 years.

Cars
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      05-11-2020 02:54 PM #105
      The gearing is long on the street, but basically dead-on on track. I wouldn't go changing the final drive of yours unless you plan on keeping it forever. GT car buyers are fickle bunch and I can guarantee that final drive install will decrease the resale of your car considerably (if you care about that sort of thing, anyway). Glad you're enjoying it...any first GT car purchase really highlights how much more communicative Porsche can make these cars when not worrying about anybody but actual enthusiasts as their target customer.
      2019 Guards/Aurum GT3 RS Weissach,
      2018 RS3: APR stage 2 10.72 @ 130.5
      2018 Raptor crew cab, 2017
      2017 Night blue metallic 991 GTS
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

7. 05-11-2020 03:10 PM #106
      The only thing that throws me off a little tiny bit is that interior (dashboard espescially) debuted on the 2012 911. So it's now over 8 years old. That's pretty ancient by most standards. Now don't get me wrong it's dead sexy and pretty damn timeless, but if I got it, and were sitting in it, I'd be like, huh, things haven't changed at all in 8 years.

Cars
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      05-11-2020 03:10 PM #107
      There was a blue 2016 GT4 for sale at the Porsche dealer across from my office. The want was real (luckily someone else beat me to it).

There are so many good deals to be had right now . . . must . . . resist . . . urge . . . .

I am saving up for a new house, though. I figure in 6-10 months, the housing market in Vegas will be in the crapper again. I am looking to get a ~$1.5 Million house for under $1 Million.

Need to save cash for down payment and keep credit free for new jumbo mortgage . . .

.. . . .

. . . .

but also need Blue GT4 . . . ugh
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

9. Member
      Cars
      2020 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      05-11-2020 03:18 PM #108
      The only thing that throws me off a little tiny bit is that interior (dashboard espescially) debuted on the 2012 911. So it's now over 8 years old. That's pretty ancient by most standards. Now don't get me wrong it's dead sexy and pretty damn timeless, but if I got it, and were sitting in it, I'd be like, huh, things haven't changed at all in 8 years.
      The steering wheel / infotainment cluster was mildly refreshed for MY2017, but I'd still mostly agree with you.
      Although, it's still a nice interior. I prefer the gauges to the 992 where the outer 2 are obstructed. And the 992's interior trim options make even less of an impact than the 991. I also hate hate hate the piano black on the center console of the 992.
      So for me, this interior is definitely the winner.
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      There was a blue 2016 GT4 for sale at the Porsche dealer across from my office. The want was real (luckily someone else beat me to it).

There are so many good deals to be had right now . . . must . . . resist . . . urge . . . .

I am saving up for a new house, though. I figure in 6-10 months, the housing market in Vegas will be in the crapper again. I am looking to get a ~$1.5 Million house for under $1 Million.

Need to save cash for down payment and keep credit free for new jumbo mortgage . . .

.. . . .

. . . .

but also need Blue GT4 . . . ugh
      Solution: get the GT4.
      You can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house

Off-topic: happy 15,000 posts on your next post
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

10. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      05-11-2020 03:27 PM #109
      German automakers (and luxury brands in general) have very long model cycles, so this is no big deal. Boxster is 25 years old and we are currently on gen 3. With the continuous improvements they do through each generation, I feel like the versions at the end of each gen yield the best value.

Plus with a car like this, you are supposed to spend time driving, not looking around I am researching 987s for a future purchase and making peace with the fact that their interiors are on the level of an MK7 Golf. I've never been a dash stroker. As long as it has the creature comforts I need and an up to date head unit I'm good. Bonus points if the interior isn't black.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

11. Member
      Cars
      05-11-2020 04:31 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I am researching 987s for a future purchase and making peace with the fact that their interiors are on the level of an MK7 Golf. I've never been a dash stroker. As long as it has the creature comforts I need and an up to date head unit I'm good. Bonus points if the interior isn't black.

Wrong.

The MK7 Golf has a WAY NICER interior than any 987. The interior of my 987.2 feels a lot like my old MK5.5 Sportwagon whereas all MK7s (especially an R) feel way higher quality. The leather on the seats in my MK7 R puts the leather/vinal seats in my Cayman to shame. The only way to actually have a decent quality feeling interior on the 987's is to have a .2 with the nav unit and the full leather interior option and the sports steering wheel upgrade.

That said I don't mind the interior of my Cayman at all, it's basic, quality is OK, and it's well put together, just that my R is about 11ty billion times better. Don't get me started on the difference between the Fender system in the VW vs the "premium" upgraded stereo in my Cayman...

12. 05-11-2020 04:47 PM #111
      I actually think I'd prefer a Cayman GT4 to a 911 GT3. It's just the right size.
      I'd take the GT3 for that glorious engine. And then I'd buy a Cayman GTS 4.0 for a DD.

Cars
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      05-11-2020 04:49 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Wrong.

The MK7 Golf has a WAY NICER interior than any 987. The interior of my 987.2 feels a lot like my old MK5.5 Sportwagon whereas all MK7s (especially an R) feel way higher quality. The leather on the seats in my MK7 R puts the leather/vinal seats in my Cayman to shame. The only way to actually have a decent quality feeling interior on the 987's is to have a .2 with the nav unit and the full leather interior option and the sports steering wheel upgrade.

That said I don't mind the interior of my Cayman at all, it's basic, quality is OK, and it's well put together, just that my R is about 11ty billion times better. Don't get me started on the difference between the Fender system in the VW vs the "premium" upgraded stereo in my Cayman...
      I have a 987.1 with the extended interior "natural" leather package. The interior quality is pretty much crap. Plastics pealing, etc. The buttons are flimsy. At BEST, its commensurate with a MK5 Golf/GTI. The MK7 GTI has a phenomenally well put together interior . . . leagues better than any 987 . . .
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

14. 05-11-2020 07:25 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Boxster is 25 years old and we are currently on gen 3.
      You mean the name plate? Or the chassis? Or the main elements?

I know the 986 and 987 were very similar apart from the new skin, but I wouldn't think of this new 981 GT4 as essentially a 25 year old chassis. Is that what you're implying?

15. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-11-2020 07:49 PM #114
      You mean the name plate? Or the chassis? Or the main elements?

I know the 986 and 987 were very similar apart from the new skin, but I wouldn't think of this new 981 GT4 as essentially a 25 year old chassis. Is that what you're implying?
      I don't mean to speak for him, but usually we look at it as 986/987/981 so I'm guessing that's what he means. Porsche refers to the 718 as a 4th gen, 982, but despite many large improvements (like the rear suspension assembly), look at the body and it's not hard to argue it's a facelift either.

The other thing many don't realize is that the Cayster chassis isn't clean sheet design, but something of a repurposed 911. The 986 is sort of the front half of a 996 "mirrored" about the driver's hips, and then the engine/transaxle flipped 180º to make it mid-engine. 987 analogs the 997, and yet, both 981 and 982 are based on the 991. Indeed, there's a handful of part's I've seen in my Cayman with 991 stamped on them.

Cars
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition
      05-11-2020 08:00 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I don't mean to speak for him, but usually we look at it as 986/987/981 so I'm guessing that's what he means. Porsche refers to the 718 as a 4th gen, 982, but despite many large improvements (like the rear suspension assembly), look at the body and it's not hard to argue it's a facelift either.

The other thing many don't realize is that the Cayster chassis isn't clean sheet design, but something of a repurposed 911. The 986 is sort of the front half of a 996 "mirrored" about the driver's hips, and then the engine/transaxle flipped 180º to make it mid-engine. 987 analogs the 997, and yet, both 981 and 982 are based on the 991. Indeed, there's a handful of part's I've seen in my Cayman with 991 stamped on them.
      This is true. A case could be made that are only two generations of Boxsters, with heavy refreshes in between.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

17. Member
      Cars
      05-11-2020 08:08 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      This is true. A case could be made that are only two generations of Boxsters, with heavy refreshes in between.
      Agreed, although the 986 to 987 refresh was far larger than the 981 to 982 refresh. I still can't believe they call the 718 a 982, definately seems like a 981.2 to me.

18. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-11-2020 08:19 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Agreed, although the 986 to 987 refresh was far larger than the 981 to 982 refresh. I still can't believe they call the 718 a 982, definately seems like a 981.2 to me.
      Oh totally. If I had to guess, there's two reasons they did that:

• They put the 981 GT4 rear subframe on it. Porsche isn't big on GT car trickle down, and AFAIK the Cayster hasn't had a unique rear suspension before.
      • They knew with all the EV stuff going on they didn't have the resources to update the platform again in a regular model cycle.

Lots of the other stuff they did (PCM, Steering Wheel, Brakes, Steering Rack, Wider Wheels) was more or less parts-bin. Even the 4-cyl motors are 2/3s of a Turbo motor, and the 6-cyl are big-bore high-RPM N/A versions of the 911 3.0T.

But hey, whatever parts bin tricks they need to run a profit on the little cars are fine with me, they are just an absolute blast to drive. In fact, we actually need essential groceries, I'm going to go drive mine now. Between both trunks, it can fit a full cart!

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      05-12-2020 02:11 PM #118
      Not sure I mentioned needing to "save up" for it (because I don't) - $4k just still sucks to spend.

And then there's this... that's when I know modern car game isn't for me. Not just on Cayman but even on a car like new M3/M4. The consts of consumables are just part of a game I can't afford. My E36 M3 may have have $150-$200 tires that's a sandbox I can play in
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Cars
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition
      05-12-2020 03:10 PM #119
      And then there's this... that's when I know modern car game isn't for me. Not just on Cayman but even on a car like new M3/M4. The consts of consumables are just part of a game I can't afford. My E36 M3 may have have $150-$200 tires that's a sandbox I can play in
      That stops me from getting a car with 20" wheels. It's nutty when the 18" are the economical alternative.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

Cars
      2018 JLUR Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
      05-12-2020 03:14 PM #120
      The full leather interior in the 982 makes a huge difference in look and feel vs. the standard interior. It always drives me bonkers though how many blanks there are. Even if I had every single option there would still be a ton of blanks. The GT steering wheel helps dress up the interior a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      I have a 987.1 with the extended interior "natural" leather package. The interior quality is pretty much crap. Plastics pealing, etc. The buttons are flimsy. At BEST, its commensurate with a MK5 Golf/GTI. The MK7 GTI has a phenomenally well put together interior . . . leagues better than any 987 . . .
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      twitter - @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      IG: zerintx
      2018 Carrara White Porsche Cayman
      2018 Firecracker Red Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

22. Member
      Cars
      06-06-2020 11:52 AM #121
      1 month update:

Finally went and got a clear bra done on everything forward of the A pillars, rocker panels, mirrors, vent surrounds, and a small amount behind the rear wheels.
      Also had it ceramic coated on top of all of that.

Pics for clicks:

I'm at ~650mi on the clock now and I'm not really following the "break-in" guidelines anymore (other than obviously waiting until it's up to temperature to rag on it). I get stares everywhere (due to the color).
      The transmission has broken in more (or I've gotten used to driving it) and it no longer feels as ragged and notchy in 1st. I'm also still hyper aware of how low this thing is.

TL;DR - still absolutely love it (I know I am still early in the honeymoon phase) and do not regret the purchase at all. I have a track day scheduled for the 27th where I'm sure I'll fall even more in love with it
      Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 06-06-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Cars
      19 GLI S, 17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      06-06-2020 12:31 PM #122
      Really nice car OP.

Please get it into a garage before Cleveland winter.

I used to live in Cleveland, went to school there, got first job out of school there.
      I do not miss snow blowing sideways off lake Erie into my ear canal. Kinda miss the metro park system tho.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

24. Member
      Cars
      06-06-2020 01:31 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      Really nice car OP.

Please get it into a garage before Cleveland winter.

I used to live in Cleveland, went to school there, got first job out of school there.
      I do not miss snow blowing sideways off lake Erie into my ear canal. Kinda miss the metro park system tho.
      It has a full time garage - I'm lucky enough to have a full 2-car (detached) garage with power door that is all mine (and my wife's) at my apartment complex.

25. Member
      Cars
      06-30-2020 11:27 AM #124
      So, I finally managed to get out to the track and really get a feel for this thing. The track is Nelson's Ledges Road Course in Northeast Ohio.
      To summarize the GT4's capability on track in 1 word: scary. Not scary as in "this thing will step out on you with 1 wrong input", but scary as in "I'm too scared to push this to its limit".

Photos of other cars at the event: ALBUM

I reset the G meter on the car at the start of the day, and ended with a max 1.3g lateral (left-right) and >1.0g braking. My shoulders, elbows, and kidney areas were sore the next day.
      It had just stormed pretty heavily a couple hours before the day started, and I haven't tracked a car in 2 years (2018 - with my previous 718 2.0T) so I was a little rusty. The first session I only got 4 laps in because a Miata went in reverse into a tire wall (the gray one with the huge wing in the album). That first session as well, I had a "brown pants" moment where I braked a little too hard with too much speed and triggered ABS/ESC. I was slowly warming up and telling myself I was doing great.
      I tried a couple braking zones with heel-toe and I "managed", but not to the level that I needed to in order to push the car more. I can run 80% of the course in 3rd gear, and only have to downshift in 1 place from 4-3-2 - needless to say, I quickly realized that auto-blip is amazing when I'm more worried about not running off the track. Those first 2 sessions I maxed out at 1.1g.

As the day went on and I got more input from the instructor, I became much more confident in the car and myself (and the track was mostly dried out at this point). My tires were getting good heat in them, and I was really feeling confident in the brakes. I was now able to throw it around the track at much more speed, continually pass others in my run group, and feel like I was pushing the car. I gained most ground through the corners and transitions from throttle -> braking -> throttle. I could carry and hold much more speed in the corners than most other cars. It did lack a little bit on the straights (only hit maybe 115mph) but more than made up for it in mountains of grip. It was during this time that I checked my max G forces again: 1.3g. A definite sign I was pushing it more
      Not once during the day did I ever trigger ESC or TC to kick in - which means even as much as I threw it around, it still wasn't enough to break it loose.

I ended the day short (I could have had ~30-40mins more driving) mostly for myself (I was tired) and my car (I have to drive this home, and I don't want to eat into consumables). I'm not a regular track guy, and might see 1-2 days a year.
      If I had to guess, I probably was at 9/tents driving for myself, and at about 7/tents for the car.

TL;DR - Car is good on track. Very good.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345