Fourtitude.com - Since we're getting COVID projects: I picked up a $500 Audi B5 to make into a daily driver...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 106
    1. Member Jettaboy1884's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2004
      Location
      North, NJ
      Posts
      7,363
      Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      05-07-2020 07:44 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Brake upgrade is butt simple. Calipers and pads are the same, you just order the big rotors. Look up TT brackets.

      I knew when I got mine it was a game changer. I can't get over how sleek it still looks. Perfect minimalism.
      Excellent, I'll measure mine and look into this. The brakes are pretty mushy, so they are next on my list after I finish the engine service.



      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Congrats!

      The early tails are the best.

      Keep us updated!
      Thanks! As much as people dislike the early tails, I don't really have an issue with them. Sure the later ones look cleaner, but realistically changing them out is pretty far down on my list. The headlights on the other hand, I will eventually swap to the one-piece facelifts.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2020
      Location
      Midwest
      Posts
      75
      Cars
      77 Porsche 911S, 95 Audi S6 Avant, 04 Beetle Turbo S
      05-07-2020 09:22 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Watching this one for sure. As a former 30v owner, I was always a little underwhelmed by these motors. Mine was '98 sedan, 5-speed. Always wished it was a 1.8T so I could mod it. Couldn't outdrag my best friend in his '00 528i with an automatic that put out the same amount of HP. While driver skill could probably be blamed for some of that, I'll attribute that to the double-VANOS that made the BMW M52TU a pretty decent powerplant for its size.
      Wouldn't it be more likely that it was drivetrain loss between RWD and more loss on AWD? Or final drive ratio?

    4. Member Jettaboy1884's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2004
      Location
      North, NJ
      Posts
      7,363
      Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      05-07-2020 09:49 AM #28
      I spent some time last night removing all the timing parts along with the waterpump and thermostat. Thankfully, this should be as far as I have to go with removing parts for this task.




      The front side of the block is caked in grime, some spots were about a half inch thick. I'm cleaning up as much as I can and will post an "after" pic later.




      And a picture I took of the Thermostat to reference for the new one. The position of the little bleed hole at 12:00 is important:


    5. Member audicoupej's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 5th, 2004
      Location
      Binghamton, NY
      Posts
      931
      Cars
      2004 R32
      05-07-2020 01:32 PM #29
      How was tearing everything apart? Anything cause any hang ups? Find any other hack jobs?

      This should be nice when you’re all finished up with the main work.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

      John

    6. Member 4.OMG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2004
      Location
      SE MI
      Posts
      4,818
      Cars
      It varies.
      05-07-2020 02:01 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      I spent some time last night removing all the timing parts along with the waterpump and thermostat. Thankfully, this should be as far as I have to go with removing parts for this task.

      *Greasy engine pics*
      These pictures are making me want to douse my monitor with Simple Green and brake cleaner.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

    7. Member corrado-correr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2004
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      6,091
      05-07-2020 02:07 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      Any preferred source for these parts?
      FCP Euro

    8. Member Stevo12's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2015
      Location
      Hartford, CT
      Posts
      3,105
      Cars
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      05-07-2020 02:35 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      Wouldn't it be more likely that it was drivetrain loss between RWD and more loss on AWD? Or final drive ratio?
      That could be a factor as well. Just speaking from my BMW experience, the M52TU added double VANOS and significantly improved the midrange versus the standard M52 with single VANOS. Max output hardly changed but there's a noticeable difference in the low- to mid-range.

      Quite honestly, Audi didn't start punching above their hp numbers until the 2.0T in the B7 cars. My folks had an '08 2.0T 6-speed for years and that car was light years quicker than the B5, despite only having 10 more rated horsepower.

    9. Member Jettaboy1884's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2004
      Location
      North, NJ
      Posts
      7,363
      Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      05-07-2020 03:31 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej View Post
      How was tearing everything apart? Anything cause any hang ups? Find any other hack jobs?

      This should be nice when you’re all finished up with the main work.
      *Knock on wood* So-far, I have not run into any trouble... I have been taking my time and soaking everything in PB blaster for at least a day or two. VW crank pulley bolts have given me trouble in the past, so I cleaned and soaked those thoroughly and they came out without a fuss.

      I know the pictures make it look pretty dramatic, but this whole task has been a logical step by step process. I have about seven hours into it now, and that is while being really cautious and taking my time.

      No additional hack jobs found although I have spotted a few missing bolts from the previous service. Nothing critical, and I have a few bins full of VW hardware to find replacements from.

      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      These pictures are making me want to douse my monitor with Simple Green and brake cleaner.
      Yeah, no kidding! The grease buildup is nasty, especially because the oil pan has flat surfaces where liquids from above can accumulate...

      Given how high up the grime goes, I think the majority is from a leaking hose connection I found at the power steering pump (mounted top-center on the block). I am hoping that I am not dealing with a leaky crank seal...

      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      FCP Euro
      Thanks.

    10. Member CostcoPizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2008
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      6,852
      Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      05-07-2020 03:35 PM #34
      Nice! The B5 is such a lovely tidy design, have fun.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2002
      Location
      Grapevine, TX
      Posts
      1,211
      Cars
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      05-07-2020 09:18 PM #35
      Nice, the V6 is decent with a manual trans, it's the auto trans that kills it. For suspension, you can pick up used S4 parts pretty cheap. There are some TT carriers for sale in the Passat classifieds, then add the A8 312mm rotors. Upgrading to S4 brakes would require the S4 uprights. An S4 sway bar set would help quite a bit as well.

      I find the V6 slightly more reliable than the 1.8T but not by much. The 30V can be a real hassle to work on, but it runs fine on 87. Oil leaks and weak ignition are the main hassle. There were some coil kits made for the 30V motors. Saves on hard starting and bad plug wires.
      Last edited by PZ; 05-07-2020 at 09:27 PM.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      4,061
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-07-2020 09:23 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      Nothing critical, and I have a few bins full of VW hardware to find replacements from.
      Lol I am glad I'm not the only one.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2002
      Location
      Grapevine, TX
      Posts
      1,211
      Cars
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      05-07-2020 09:28 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Lol I am glad I'm not the only one.
      I've got 3 B5s (Passats) and a full parts car. I have parts all over the garage.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

    14. Member atomicalex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Detroit and Düsseldorf
      Posts
      17,611
      Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      05-08-2020 07:31 AM #38
      I have half a MkI in my garage still. Urgh....
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

    15. Member tip's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2008
      Location
      South Puget Sound
      Posts
      1,438
      Cars
      2002 Impreza OBS, 2000 F350, 1996 4Runner, 1963 Riviera
      05-08-2020 08:55 AM #39
      ^ my inner OCD is dying to see the after pics
      @saugster_pnw

    16. Member Jettaboy1884's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2004
      Location
      North, NJ
      Posts
      7,363
      Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      05-08-2020 10:30 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
      Nice, the V6 is decent with a manual trans, it's the auto trans that kills it. For suspension, you can pick up used S4 parts pretty cheap. There are some TT carriers for sale in the Passat classifieds, then add the A8 312mm rotors. Upgrading to S4 brakes would require the S4 uprights. An S4 sway bar set would help quite a bit as well.

      I find the V6 slightly more reliable than the 1.8T but not by much. The 30V can be a real hassle to work on, but it runs fine on 87. Oil leaks and weak ignition are the main hassle. There were some coil kits made for the 30V motors. Saves on hard starting and bad plug wires.
      I checked and saw a recently Sold posting for the TT carriers in the B5 Passat section. I also saw a listing for the larger brakes that would require the S4 uprights. I'll cross that bridge when I get there, thanks for the good info.

      Aside from reliability (even if marginal) I also prefer the sound and feel of a NA V6. I know it's not a "tuner" engine, but that's now what I'm after anyway.

      Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
      ^ my inner OCD is dying to see the after pics
      Sure thing! I spent some time last night cleaning it up. I am hesitant to use brake cleaner overall, as it can be rough on gaskets, so instead I am going to give a small steam cleaner a try...




      The car has a clunk in the rear, so I expect to find worn suspension parts or even rusted out rear strut brackets. I took a quick peek and was pleasantly surprised to find that both rear brackets look to be in excellent shape, maybe even replaced recently:




      And a poor pic of the front upper suspension parts:


    17. Member The A1 and A2 German's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 17th, 2002
      Location
      Tempe, AZ 85281
      Posts
      14,811
      Cars
      Sonoma S-15, Mark 3 Caddy, Audi A4, 71 CL175, 71 CB350, 69 Stinger, V-Twin Chopper, A4 SC'd Avant,
      05-08-2020 01:20 PM #41
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...1=&p=113706735

      That's how you'll get a fresh clean motor, you'll want to nylon/brass brush & Simple Green to get the thickest gunk off first.

      For ~$25 you're not messing around with an unknown and have a dedicated waterproof fan controller, as losing fans could lose your block/head (crack them). I mean, technically you could run a ~12g wire from acc directly to the fan and always turns on with the car or any other set up but to do it right isn't much. You need to understand when running ac you need to trigger your aftermarket fan, ....now you also have to make that set up too but with the fan controller it's built in and one single wire that splices into the green compressor wire.

      You should be able to unbolt the pulley from the bracket, many times it's just a 8m allen bolt. On one car after removing the pulley it had an odd neck that stuck out (which the pulley had bolted to)...10 seconds with an angle grinder solved that and made more knuckle room when the front end was back on, kept the main pulley bracket in place as had a couple other things attached to it (in your case belt cover clip/mount).
      FS:Custom '73 CB350 Museum Piece, 8 miles FS:3 Piece I-Forged 19" Rims
      FS:Custom '69 Stinger: SOLD FS:10' VTWIN Chopper SOLD :

    18. Member Mr Miyagi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2010
      Location
      Spokane
      Posts
      4,040
      05-08-2020 03:07 PM #42
      "I picked up a $500 audi b5 to make into a daily driver"

      Well then you ****ed up didn't you?

    19. Member Jettaboy1884's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2004
      Location
      North, NJ
      Posts
      7,363
      Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      05-11-2020 07:52 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by The A1 and A2 German View Post
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...1=&p=113706735

      That's how you'll get a fresh clean motor, you'll want to nylon/brass brush & Simple Green to get the thickest gunk off first.

      For ~$25 you're not messing around with an unknown and have a dedicated waterproof fan controller, as losing fans could lose your block/head (crack them). I mean, technically you could run a ~12g wire from acc directly to the fan and always turns on with the car or any other set up but to do it right isn't much. You need to understand when running ac you need to trigger your aftermarket fan, ....now you also have to make that set up too but with the fan controller it's built in and one single wire that splices into the green compressor wire.

      You should be able to unbolt the pulley from the bracket, many times it's just a 8m allen bolt. On one car after removing the pulley it had an odd neck that stuck out (which the pulley had bolted to)...10 seconds with an angle grinder solved that and made more knuckle room when the front end was back on, kept the main pulley bracket in place as had a couple other things attached to it (in your case belt cover clip/mount).
      I saw that "sweet" post, and that's pretty creative! However, I don't think I should go blasting sugar all over my garage floor...

      Sounds like I'll go with the controller.

      And I'll post a photo of the pulley later. I've looked it over a few times and can't figure out how to remove it.

      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      "I picked up a $500 audi b5 to make into a daily driver"

      Well then you ****ed up didn't you?
      Hmm, hard to say for now... See next post.

    20. Member Jettaboy1884's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2004
      Location
      North, NJ
      Posts
      7,363
      Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      05-11-2020 09:25 AM #44
      So, things are starting to snowball on the engine side.

      The engine was running a little rough, so I expected to go over the vac lines and clean the throttle body & EGR at some point after wrapping up the TB/WP/Thermostat service. Being an unfamiliar car & engine, best to tackle these jobs in segments right?
      Well, since I'm waiting on a few more parts, I started to poke around the intake side of the engine.

      Some of these vac lines are worn, no biggie:



      Moving over slightly, that valve cover breather hose isn't factory and has a nasty kink (hard to see in pic). Also, you can't see it but the cruise control diaphgragm doesn't have a vac line connected. And these wires are flopping around, so they need to be tidied up:



      And really getting in there, I see the throttle body has a vacuum nipple with a disintegrated / missing hose which will certainly effect things.



      Moving over to the passenger side, I pop off the intake tube and see the passenger side valve cover breather hose is broken through. It leads to right before the throttle body, and being broken allows unmetered air to enter the intake tube.




      At this point, I decided that I really have to dive into this, so here we go!




      And I'm glad I did, here's some of the interesting stuff I found:

      A random plug connector without any wires:



      A backed-out transmission to engine bolt:



      Not an exciting pic, but this shows the mess from the leaking power steering pump line. Also, I found a mouse skull here, and will be checking wires closely as I go:



      I can't imagine this spark plug was firing well. And, changing the plugs would have certainly gotten junk into the cylinder:



      And just for fun, let's take a closer look at an intake port. So, it's a known "engineering flaw" that Audi did not correctly match the intake to head ports on the 12v engine. The gasket matches the intake manifold very well, but look closely at this head side of the gasket and you will see that the fuel injectors are actually spraying against a partially-blocked spray path on the cylinder head... This causes the fuel to pool and dribble on this "shelf" and supposedly is why the 12v likes to pop and burble on deceleration...
      The solution here is simply to port-match to the gaskets. This can be carefully done in place, and I will definitely be tackling this job while I'm in here.

      It's interesting to see the buildup on the port walls where the fuel spray pattern doesn't reach.

      Last edited by Jettaboy1884; 05-11-2020 at 09:42 AM.

    21. Member Stromaluski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 15th, 2005
      Location
      Greenville, SC
      Posts
      3,197
      Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      05-11-2020 09:56 AM #45
      Looking good! Always fun to find stuff like that.

    22. Member Jettaboy1884's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2004
      Location
      North, NJ
      Posts
      7,363
      Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      05-14-2020 09:29 AM #46
      I've put a few hours of cleaning into the engine, using Simple Green and then scrubbing and picking away at all the nooks and crannies. I am putting together another parts order, and my next step is to clean the intake ports then gasket match them to address the injector spray issue.

      The engine is reasonably clean for now:




      I think this was the power steering hose that made the mess at the pump fitting. Oddly enough this is the feed line from the reservoir so it should have minimal pressure.

      Last edited by Jettaboy1884; 05-14-2020 at 12:01 PM.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      4,061
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      05-14-2020 11:14 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      These pictures are making me want to douse my monitor with Simple Green and brake cleaner.
      Haha glad I'm not the only one. OP, sounds like you're going to clean some more, but even so those after pictures are downright cathartic.

    24. Member Jettaboy1884's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2004
      Location
      North, NJ
      Posts
      7,363
      Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      05-16-2020 08:26 AM #48
      I started port-matching the intake runners last night, and am focusing on opening up the fuel injector spray path.

      So a quick refresh on what I'm doing, here's a view looking up into the intake manifold runners. The gasket match here is a little off but pretty close:



      However, when you look at the head side of the intake path, the fuel injectors are spraying against a partially obstructed port:



      Prepped for "surgery":



      I used a Dremel with a cutting bit to remove material, and a fine sanding drum (perfect size!) to smooth it out. Gasket matched vs. stock port:



      One down, five more to go...

    25. Member Stromaluski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 15th, 2005
      Location
      Greenville, SC
      Posts
      3,197
      Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      05-16-2020 08:43 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      I started port-matching the intake runners last night, and am focusing on opening up the fuel injector spray path.

      So a quick refresh on what I'm doing, here's a view looking up into the intake manifold runners. The gasket match here is a little off but pretty close:

      However, when you look at the head side of the intake path, the fuel injectors are spraying against a partially obstructed port:

      Prepped for "surgery":

      I used a Dremel with a cutting bit to remove material, and a fine sanding drum (perfect size!) to smooth it out. Gasket matched vs. stock port:

      One down, five more to go...
      That looks great!

    26. Member
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2002
      Location
      Grapevine, TX
      Posts
      1,211
      Cars
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      05-16-2020 06:11 PM #50
      The pump on my 30V leaked from the seal between the backing plate and I had that same nasty goo all the section under the manifold. I would replace the inlet hose anyway, once the hose is off, it does not re-seal properly and you end up sucking air into the system.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •