Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      2004 R32
      04-17-2020 11:15 AM #1
      I have been looking for a manual, AWD, car to use as a daily and teach my wife how to drive El Manuel. Finding something decent under $5k is a very hard task living in Upstate NY. Itís either rusted out junk or people want way to much. I always liked the MK1 Audi TT and I was finding them pop up for sale on Craigslist and FB marketplace but they were pretty beat, rusted etc and usually $2900-5000.

I started expanding my search further south and found a very good condition 2002 TT 225 AMU in Lancaster PA. 163k miles. Asking price $4500. Included a recent clutch, lightened flywheel, short shifter, turbo back exhaust, new rear main seal, intake, fresh APR stage 1 93 octane tune, tinted windows, and two sets of wheels. Top end was rebuilt by Audi at 91k due to water pump failure.

Oh, the big kicker, all service records from day 1 and all OEM parts. I contacted a friend who lives in York, PA and asked if he could take a look. My buddy said the car was in good shape overall and I would be happy with it. He also negotiated the price to $4k. I was happy. I knew it was due for TB/WP and that was the main negotiation focus.

A few days later I drove 3 hours to Lancaster, picked up a UHaul auto transport trailer and had my new to me TT. This was the beginning of February.

I drove home through a nice snowstorm unloaded the TT and put it in the garage. Then I decided the exhaust tips needed to be polished. (Side note I do auto detailing on the side and may have some OCD)

Right side polished some to see how they would clean up.

I gave it a bath.

Then my wife and I went on vacation so the TT was moved to my other garage to meet its slightly younger sibling. My MKIV supercharged R32.

I didnít want to drive the TT much until I could do the timing belt so I got the car on the lift and looked everything over. I expected to find some things since my buddy could only look at it at night and I wasnít expecting a PPI.

1 inner CV boot
      1 outer CV boot
      Lots of oil, planned on VC gasket and tensioner gasket anyways. They always leak on 1.8Ts

Next up the TB and a lot of since Iím in there letís just replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      04-17-2020 11:21 AM #2
      Absolutely awesome. I had a MK1 3.2L TT in 2007 and was too young and dumb to appreciate it at the time (traded it for a WRX, ha) but have always loved those cars.

A) Hope you keep this thread updated with progress on the car.
      B) How do the uhaul trailers perform on extended trips? Any issues behind your truck?
      2019 RS3 // 2019 SQ5 // 2020 Silverado RST

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      04-17-2020 11:37 AM #3
      A TT has been on my list for the last year or so, but I've found the first gen's are pretty much used up at this point. Unless you want to pay 2nd gen prices for a cream puff, they are all beat to **** or modified (and therefore have a myriad of issues).

How is the interior on it?
      Dave

5. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      04-17-2020 11:40 AM #4
      nice! seems like a solid score

6. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      04-17-2020 11:44 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      A TT has been on my list for the last year or so, but I've found the first gen's are pretty much used up at this point. Unless you want to pay 2nd gen prices for a cream puff, they are all beat to **** or modified (and therefore have a myriad of issues).

I am holding out hope that I have an older lady trade in hers one of these days....
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Cars
      2004 R32
      04-17-2020 11:51 AM #6
      Once all the parts arrived and I watched lots of DIYs and read the Bentley manual I decided to start the work. I replaced:

Timing belt
      Timing belt tensioner and roller
      Serpentine belt and tensioner
      Cam chain tensioner and gaskets
      Valve cover gaskets
      Thermostat and housing
      Coolant
      Spark plugs
      Cabin filter
      Oil and filter
      Haldex fluid and filter
      Passenger inner CV boot
      Drivers outer CV boot
      Battery

I worked on it over a few days as I could only work a few hours a night. I have never done most of this work before and have never worked on a 1.8T.

When it was time to start the car I was pretty nervous but it started right up (after the new battery)

Driving it the other day to work it was running fine then a few hours later when I went to leave I had a rough idle and the CEL came on. It drove on the highway fine and I scanned it once I was home to find several misfire codes. I did a boost leak check and found my suction pump as broken.

Yes I know itís a mess. Iím missing the flywheel inspection plug and want to fill that hole before I give the engine bay a proper cleaning. I also think the oil cooler gasket might be due for a change.

My new suction pump should arrive this weekend and my intake manifold gasket and throttle body gaskets arrived today so hopefully I can fix that and clean everything up this weekend.

I found some NOS monster mats for $65, the grey color but itís pretty dark and they look good.

I sanded and polished the headlights quick just to clean it up.

Looks much better

I also ordered new R32 front control arm rear position bushings and am researching front position bushings to put in this and my R32. Seeking any suggestions.

Currently list of plans:

New coil packs
      Fuel filter
      Diff and tranny fluids
      Boost gauge or maybe OBDeleven. I have VCDS but not a working laptop at the moment.
      I ordered a Bi-xenon projector retrofit to bring the headlights into modern times. That should be arriving soon.
      The steering wheel has some wear. Going to try the leatherique kit for $25. If Iím not happy I might recover it and add padding to make it similar in girth to the R32 wheel.
      Debating doing some vac delete but need to research more.
      Possible turbo inlet pipe and DV valve. Open to suggestions. Iím not trying to make it wild, just reliable and fun.

JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

8. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      04-17-2020 11:54 AM #7
      Looks like a really well preserved example at a great price! Nicely done.

I drove a stock 225 cab briefly, and thought it wasn't bad. How are the coupes in terms of handling?

Cars
      2018 GT3 Touring, 2019 RS5 Sportback, 1987 560SL
      04-17-2020 11:58 AM #8
      "Driving it the other day to work it was running fine then a few hours later when I went to leave I had a rough idle and the CEL came on. It drove on the highway fine and I scanned it once I was home to find several misfire codes. I did a boost leak check and found my suction pump as broken."

Four words: Mass Air Flow Sensor

Also, embrace the CEL. It's 1.8t culture.

10. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      04-17-2020 12:09 PM #9
      Wow! Nice find, that car is in surprisingly good shape, especially the interior.

Hope to keep getting updates.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Cars
      2004 R32
      04-17-2020 12:18 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
      Absolutely awesome. I had a MK1 3.2L TT in 2007 and was too young and dumb to appreciate it at the time (traded it for a WRX, ha) but have always loved those cars.

A) Hope you keep this thread updated with progress on the car.
      B) How do the uhaul trailers perform on extended trips? Any issues behind your truck?
      I don't have big plans, just refresh it and enjoy it.
      I used one of these trailers twice in a month. 3 hour trip and 1 hour trip. It works great. A lowered car would need some boards but the stock height TT on flat ground had to issues. I drove up to 75-78mph loaded and unloaded with no issues. The duramax doesn't even know it's there. Best part is it's pretty cheap to rent if its just a day and return at the pickup location.

I tried to get my wife to buy an RS3 or TTRS and she ended up getting a CPO Macan GTS, while it's not a rocket it's damn impressive for what it is. I'm still keeping my eye on RS3/TTRS prices though.

Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post

That was what I found. Most are beat on and people wanted around what I paid for this. So when it popped up I jumped on it. Interior is damn nice. The factory drivers carpet floor mat was shot but the monster mats were always the plan anyways. Some typical soft touch issues and the rear cubbies are open always (common issue)

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      nice! seems like a solid score
      Thanks, I'm happy. The deal was good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      I am holding out hope that I have an older lady trade in hers one of these days....
      I hope you find one. This one spent a lot of time in Chicago and I believe some of the service records are from your store. Small world. Your S4 thread inspired me to find something for winter fun. Sliding around in a 4x4 truck isn't the same as manual, AWD car on snows.

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Looks like a really well preserved example at a great price! Nicely done.

I drove a stock 225 cab briefly, and thought it wasn't bad. How are the coupes in terms of handling?
      It's in very good shape overall. Once I get time to fully detail it, it should really look good. I haven't been able to really push it yet but overall it seems pretty good. I'm itching for a set of coils and some new bushings but I don't want to go crazy I have too many other vehicles. I might just do upgraded front control arm bushings for now, maybe rear adjustable control arms.

Quote Originally Posted by glsturbo View Post
      "Driving it the other day to work it was running fine then a few hours later when I went to leave I had a rough idle and the CEL came on. It drove on the highway fine and I scanned it once I was home to find several misfire codes. I did a boost leak check and found my suction pump as broken."

Four words: Mass Air Flow Sensor

Also, embrace the CEL. It's 1.8t culture.
      I figured I would order another MAF in my next FCP order, along with coils. I'm used to replacing them (MAF's) on my supercharged R32. The TT is much easier to swap. I want to verify no vac leaks befor eI start throwing parts. Plus I need to barrow a friends laptop to run VCDS.

I forgot to mention I also replaced the upper strut mounts and bearings. Common MKIV issues.

John

12. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      04-17-2020 12:24 PM #11
      RE steering wheel. I bet you can find a nicely used replacement for not much more than the Leatherique treatment.

And I am glad my thread gave you some inspiration. Without doing things like this, in 10 years, a lot of these cars are going to be gone. Might as wel try to save as many as we can!
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Cars
      2004 R32
      04-17-2020 12:29 PM #12
      Hood is popped. I keep it on a trickle charger since it was not getting driven much during COVID time and I had a work vehicle to drive.

Underside it pretty clean.

John

Cars
      2004 R32
      04-17-2020 12:33 PM #13
      RE steering wheel. I bet you can find a nicely used replacement for not much more than the Leatherique treatment.

And I am glad my thread gave you some inspiration. Without doing things like this, in 10 years, a lot of these cars are going to be gone. Might as wel try to save as many as we can!
      Have any pointers where to look? I checked ebay but most are around $130 and not the best shape.

I agree, while it's not saving the manuals by buying a new car I am still saving manuals from total extinction. Teaching my wife should be interesting.

John

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      04-17-2020 12:38 PM #14
      Nice pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej View Post
      I bought an 18YO Audi nevAr Loose for a daily
      An 18-year old Audi is definitely loose.
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since.

16. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      04-17-2020 12:39 PM #15
      OP, you've been busy! Keep us posted on progress - I love threads like this.

What are the black cubes on the intake cam? I'm not familiar with the 1.8T other than they fall apart but nevar lose.

17. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      04-17-2020 12:39 PM #16
      Have any pointers where to look? I checked ebay but most are around $130 and not the best shape.

I agree, while it's not saving the manuals by buying a new car I am still saving manuals from total extinction. Teaching my wife should be interesting.
      I would start one the forums and any close junk yards. The junk yards by me are mainly dominated by domestics, and have prices that correspond to that. I have found some recently totaled out cars with nice parts for cheap.

Or, of course, friends that have a yard full of 2000s era VAG products reducing their property values. They typically like to get rid of **** for cheap.

Cars
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      04-17-2020 12:40 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post

What are the black cubes on the intake cam? I'm not familiar with the 1.8T other than they fall apart but nevar lose.
      looks like a cover of some sort?
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

19. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      04-17-2020 12:44 PM #18

I bought the three spoke sport wheel for my E46 from Ebay. It took some serious looking and digging. I finally found a boutique European salvage yard based in San Diego that has a storefront. https://www.ebay.com/usr/1autobahn1?ul_noapp=true

Keep in mind, I don't know that they'll have what you need, but shops like that operating through Ebay are generally going to be easier to work with than individuals. So I'd just keep looking.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Cars
      2004 R32
      04-17-2020 12:45 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Wow! Nice find, that car is in surprisingly good shape, especially the interior.

Hope to keep getting updates.
      Thank you. That's the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Nice pick up.

An 18-year old Audi is definitely loose.
      Lol, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post

Thanks, I sort of wanted a project and have a love/hate relationship working on cars. I also am fortunate enough to have a lift in my detached garage so it makes projects easier (sometimes).
      Those covers are oil deflectors. They just sit on top.

I would start one the forums and any close junk yards. The junk yards by me are mainly dominated by domestics, and have prices that correspond to that. I have found some recently totaled out cars with nice parts for cheap.

Or, of course, friends that have a yard full of 2000s era VAG products reducing their property values. They typically like to get rid of **** for cheap.
      Thanks, I shall continue my search.

Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      looks like a cover of some sort?
      Correct, oil deflectors.

My next big fix is the cluster LCD is shot and the coolant and gas gauge stepper motors need replacement. I'm debating fixing it myself or sending it out. Any suggestions?

John

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG ect..
      04-17-2020 02:18 PM #20
      Looking good! For front control arm bushings hit me up I have a solution that I run on mine that works really well out of UHMW.

MK1 AMU 225's are tanks, sort of like a baby 996tt IMO.

Hit up BBA reman for the cluster rebuild, make sure they rebuild the fuel and coolant gauges as well as those windings love to fail.

Cars
      Jaguar XJR, Audi Q5, Honda Element SC
      04-17-2020 02:29 PM #21
      Nice,

Keep us updated I still have a soft spot for these, especially the 3.2 mk1

23. Senior Member
      04-17-2020 02:51 PM #22

My next big fix is the cluster LCD is shot and the coolant and gas gauge stepper motors need replacement. I'm debating fixing it myself or sending it out. Any suggestions?

I did the LCD myself and stepper motors were all fine. But then it turned out the draw I was chasing was in the cluster.

Sent it to speedometer solutions for them to do their fixes and firmware update.

It isn't necessarily cheap, but if you need the steppers and the lcd then their full service which also sorts the draw problem is worth it imho.

Congrats on the purchase

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupť heaven
      04-17-2020 09:27 PM #23
      Congrats!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a CitroŽn.ô

Cars
      a Metro pass.
      04-18-2020 12:08 AM #24
      Good call starting with the timing belt, that is probably the best insurance you can buy with these cars. I'm not joking when I say they need replacement every 60K miles on a 1.8T, going any longer, you are living on borrowed time.

Hopefully while the timing belt was apart, you popped the water pump off to see if its been replaced with a metal impeller unit. If it hasn't, the water pump will definitely crap on you in the not too distant future.

That god damned mess of hoses and check valves that makes up the PCV/crankcase breather system will cause you lots of check engine lights, I'm pretty sure there are aftermarket silicone kits that are much better, definitely look into that.

Keep good synthetic oil and factory filters in it, the longitudinal 1.8T's were much, much worse about oil sludging but it's definitely possible with the sideways engines if you neglect them enough. But you don't seem like one of "those" guys.

Gen 1 TT's are so cool, thanks for polishing one up, their numbers have definitely dwindled.
      Last edited by kraut_pauer79; 04-18-2020 at 12:11 AM.
      ||||||||||||||
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Cars
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      04-18-2020 09:49 AM #25
      One of the few truly classic designs to come out of the late 90ís/2000ís. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast