Fourtitude.com - how do you store tools at home?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Cars
      B6 A4
      04-07-2020 07:08 PM #1
      Bonus points if it works in an upstairs apartment and is portable enough to easily move

I kind of regret selling my old Craftsman setup,
      it had two tops (separates in the middle) and a bottom, and was cheap.

Not the most room, nothing like a low height Snap-On box with the huge and wide thin sliding drawers, that come out giving lots of room to place normal slim tools (wrenches, etc)
      This one (Craftsman) had only a few abnormally deep drawers at the bottom, that only served to hold jumbled up tools.
      I now know taller drawers might be designed for holding large tools upright, such as cordless power tools, and plastic cases.

Right now my tools are packed into some 26in. Husky plastic carry boxes, but if ever planning to do any repairs outside in the parking lot, they're not too functional
      1. loaded up with tools, they're heavy
      2. everything is jumbled, there's no way to see what tools are in it or ability to quickly find what's needed

Gonna take a look at the regular to see what's listed for now: OfferUp, CL, FB Marketplace, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      04-07-2020 07:49 PM #2
      I live in an upstairs apartment and have one of those boxes like the one pictured, except it's a craftsman branded one. It's definitely not ideal, but prior to this it was just a cardboard box with everything thrown into it, so, this is an upgrade

Not my photo but it's this box:

Last edited by Shmi; 04-07-2020 at 07:52 PM.
      ಠ_ಠ

Cars
      13 Golf TDI, 09 Speed Triple, 06 RX8, 02 M3, 98 C2500, 94(98) CP Camaro
      04-07-2020 07:52 PM #3
      I have that exact same toolbox set. Mostly the bottom drawers are filled with hammers and specialty tools like valve shim sets and other things I can easily stack. I need a lot more tool boxes and I think a serious set of shelves is my next garage purchase. You can see that toolbox, and my current organization strategy, here.

But prior to that, I usually left my wrenches hanging off whatever part of the car I had last worked on.
      Last edited by landstuhltaylor; 04-07-2020 at 08:00 PM.

5. 04-07-2020 07:53 PM #4
      this thread is relevant to my interests

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      04-07-2020 07:57 PM #5
      Big box on top of a bigger box with wheels on it.

Cars
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      04-07-2020 08:05 PM #6
      I bought craftsman, if I had to start over, plenty of options and colors:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...l-storage.html
      2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

8. 04-07-2020 08:14 PM #7
      Thoughts on deep drawers?

9. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      04-07-2020 08:15 PM #8
      One of four places (all four are at capacity though as I have an addition to buying tools) .

• A setup like the Craftsman pictured in the first post. Mine is Husky brand.
      • A peg board above a work bench for stuff that has holes/hangs easily
      • A metal shelf for tools that come in boxes
      • A rolling cart about the size of a cooler that sits under the work surface on the bench

The rolling cart I think is most relevant to this thread, because that's what I use when I can't work in my garage. I just load it up with all of the stuff I need and wheel it around like a suitcase, load it in the trunk, etc. It's not this one but looks about like it:

[zoro]

Cars
      B6 A4
      04-07-2020 08:32 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
      I have that exact same toolbox set. Mostly the bottom drawers are filled with hammers and specialty tools like valve shim sets and other things I can easily stack. I need a lot more tool boxes and I think a serious set of shelves is my next garage purchase. You can see that toolbox, and my current organization strategy, here.

But prior to that, I usually left my wrenches hanging off whatever part of the car I had last worked on.
      that surface is so rough, I can't tell if it's an optical illusion and really carpet that's nice to lay on,
      or a really rough concrete finish that easily cuts skin

about carpet: someone told me they did that. I guess their corporate office building or something was clearing out or re-modeling, and thus with it getting rid of all the carpeted floors, that was cut and rolled up to throw away.
      So he asked if he could have some, took it home, and threw it down on the garage floor (cut to size)
      it looked really nice actually

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      FWIW, deep drawers seem to be common in the automotive industry, re: professional car mechanics. Aside from some lower drawers being deep.
      Like a thin deep drawer (especially if the toolbox is stable enough to not flip over) can let you fit lots of regular tools.

Torque wrenches. Hex bits. Allen bits. Torx bits. Extensions. Ratchets. And so on.
      Some issues develop though, where it can help to have a taller drawer,
      like an organizer tray ($20) that holds sockets upward, and they need a taller ceiling, vs. laying them flat. Though organizing them upward can leave more room and have quicker access.
      But for some bits, it's not possible. Like a long 6" torx or allen, probably has to be laid flat.

I wonder if door width comes into play.
      If you push a toolbox into an automotive repair garage, obviously it fits through the garage door. Or home garage. etc.
      I once had my tools stored in a small storage unit with a regular door. While the Craftsman fit, I honestly don't know if something bigger with deeper drawers would fit.

That and the price difference, those Snap-On lower boxes are usually $1k used vs probably $250 or less for Craftsman
      Last edited by Spike00513; 04-07-2020 at 08:37 PM.

11. 04-07-2020 09:36 PM #10
      In my apartment days, I got by with one of these for common tools, then another box or Tupperware bin for power tools, or just left them in their plastic cases. I have since upgraded to a larger unit with wheels.

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      04-07-2020 09:44 PM #11
      I've got most of my tools in 36" wide rolling chest and top box. I've got 2 26" rollers and a top box with various other tools as well. All my stuff is in my basement (no garage), so when I need to work on cars in the driveway, I have to carry stuff out. I use smaller plastic tool boxes for that. No matter how much I plan and think I have everything I need, I end up making 400 trips back inside for more tools.

It took me a while to find the "right" bottom roller cabinet. I didn't want just a few deep drawers. I wanted a progression from shallow to deep. My shallowest drawers hold screwdrivers and pliers, then I move to hammers, then sockets. I use my deeper drawers for power tools. The deepest drawer I have is ~9". I can stand up a router, jig saw, and battery circular saw in there. Any deeper (like 12") seems like a waste to me.

Cars
      18 LR Discovery 06 Land Rover LR3 97 BMW M3
      04-08-2020 07:13 AM #12
      I am a dealer tech and used my snapon box for years until my dealer openned a new store. My shop now has built in tool boxesa nd i have an overkill at home box with 2 drawers of tools and the rest full of home crap, read - crap my wife wont let me keep in the house.

Cars
      2019 BMW M550i
      04-08-2020 07:19 AM #13
      Got this guy a while back, still need to get some decent drawer organizers for it. Used to only have the red toolbox on top

Previous cars: 2016 VW GTI PP - 2015 VW GTI - 2004 VW R32 - 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 STI - 1997 Nissan 180SX Type-X
      My Flickr

Cars
      13 Golf TDI, 09 Speed Triple, 06 RX8, 02 M3, 98 C2500, 94(98) CP Camaro
      04-08-2020 08:37 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Spike00513 View Post
      that surface is so rough, I can't tell if it's an optical illusion and really carpet that's nice to lay on,
      or a really rough concrete finish that easily cuts skin
      It's a really rough grain for sure, but I've honestly never had a problem laying on it. The bigger issue is finding a flat enough section to level out the corner scale pads.

16. 04-08-2020 09:50 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
      Got this guy a while back, still need to get some decent drawer organizers for it. Used to only have the red toolbox on top

I have my eye on this Husky, how do you like it?

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      04-08-2020 10:08 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
      I bought craftsman, if I had to start over, plenty of options and colors:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...l-storage.html
      This. I currently have two craftsman boxes similar to what you have. One of my next major projects around the house is to add a set of pull down stairs into our attic from the garage so that I can use the attic for parts storage. Then I'm going to rearrange the garage so that tool boxes are in the back of the garage rather than the side of the garage. At the same time, I would like to replace the two craftsman boxes with one of the big HF boxes. A few friends have them and they're nice. Way nicer than my craftsman ones.

18. 04-08-2020 10:30 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
      Ah, a fellow subscriber to the "half in the toolbox half all over the floor" method. I dig it.

I have a medium rolling Craftsman box that holds a bulk of my hand tools, and everything else that comes in a case stays in the case (hammer drill, impact, etc.) My dad uses 5 gallon buckets for certain things like all the angle grinder stuff in one or paint in another.

Cars
      2019 BMW M550i
      04-08-2020 10:34 AM #18
      No complaints, got a good deal on a lightly scratched up one in store. I'll probably have it for the next couple decades and maybe just refinish or replace the wood from time to time. Only thing I'm thinking about is how thick the wood is for mounting a vice to it. Might need to screw all the way through the steel to the top drawer for the bolts.
      Previous cars: 2016 VW GTI PP - 2015 VW GTI - 2004 VW R32 - 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 STI - 1997 Nissan 180SX Type-X
      My Flickr

20. Member
      Cars
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      04-08-2020 10:35 AM #19
      Pretty much the smallest KRL Snap-On makes. The KRL was the best line until the Epic came out. Bought it new off the truck because my buddy at the time was a dealer and gave me a pretty good discount. You can always find used Snap-On boxes on Craigslist for a steal. Though now, if I was looking I would consider the Icon line from Harbor Freight. Haven't seen one in person yet but it seems like a pretty good box for the home hobbyist.

21. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      04-08-2020 10:37 AM #20
      I've got that Craftsman stack. It's well under $300 shopping on sale. Tough to beat for the price.

Cars
      2008 VW Passat 3.6l 4motion
      04-08-2020 10:46 AM #21
      Some tools I have in a stacking Craftsman roll around, the rest are hanging on pegboard behind the workbench.
      2008 Passat VR6 3.6 4Motion Wagon, 2010 MINI Cooper S, Dnepr MT-16 motorcycle

23. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      04-08-2020 11:17 AM #22
      My garage is a complete warzone right now. I am working on a project... once I finish it I will organize everything. Problem is I bought a lot of piecemeal organizing **** instead of just buckling down and getting a quality tool chest. But I have enough storage that once I go through everything I should be able to clean it up nicely.

Cars
      12' CTS-V, 03' Mazda Ranger
      04-08-2020 11:28 AM #23

Black Friday sale Craftsman box from Sears a few years ago, all my automotive and welding tools are in there. The grey cabinet is for hardware and various other things like C-clamps and other odds and ends.
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      04-08-2020 12:26 PM #24
      We know, you won't shut up about it. Aren't you the guy that went on and on about that Tiguan, constantly visiting the dealer to inspect the paint for swirls?
      iain

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      04-08-2020 12:33 PM #25
      I have a craftsman rolling cart about that size, it was given to me from a family friend when her husband died.

It's over-flowing with tools, I definitely need more space. Once we get some other garage-related projects done I'm going to put cabinets and a worktop on that back wall and leave space for the craftsman to roll into.
      iain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast