Fourtitude.com - Red sport lease up at the end of the month, Looking for FUN replacement ideas
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Cars
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      04-07-2020 11:08 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      savagegeese had a supercharged FR-S and he had nothing but problems with it

RX-8 seems like the worst idea possible for someone who enjoys turbo torque
      I mean, both are ideal weekend cruisers on paper unless it's simply less power than what the OP wants- Smaller and lighter than the Cadillac/370Z while still being 2+2. Both are solid drivers cars.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      04-07-2020 11:50 AM #27
      You don't want to deal with hassles. New GLI.

4. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      04-07-2020 11:51 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      I mean, both are ideal weekend cruisers on paper unless it's simply less power than what the OP wants- Smaller and lighter than the Cadillac/370Z while still being 2+2. Both are solid drivers cars.
      IDK. OP seems pretty clear on what matters to him- torque (literally the first attribute he mentioned), less heft/smaller size than his Q50, high reliability + low maintenance. BRZ does 3 out of 4 but misses the most important point (torque). RX-8 is 1 for 4. For a $20K weekend car OP can do way better than either. Any mid/rear engined Porsche, any C5 or newer Vette, E46 M3, Z4M, etc. BRZ is the kind of car that's fun when the stars align. You get on the right road, it's clear, weather is good etc. "Ideal" in the worst way possible IMO, as brilliant as it is.

Cars
      04-07-2020 12:15 PM #29
      IDK. OP seems pretty clear on what matters to him- torque (literally the first attribute he mentioned), less heft/smaller size than his Q50, high reliability + low maintenance. BRZ does 3 out of 4 but misses the most important point (torque). RX-8 is 1 for 4. For a $20K weekend car OP can do way better than either. Any mid/rear engined Porsche, any C5 or newer Vette, E46 M3, Z4M, etc. BRZ is the kind of car that's fun when the stars align. You get on the right road, it's clear, weather is good etc. "Ideal" in the worst way possible IMO, as brilliant as it is.
      Well, reliability probably takes out the Cadillac and a cheapo 996. The RX8 is not as bad as it's made out to be, especially a late one with low miles but hurr durr dorito motor. I forgot about the Bimmers, so a Laguna blue E46 M3 would probably be my choice under 20 (which is hardly "low maintenance").
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

6. Member
      Cars
      04-07-2020 12:39 PM #30
      Well, reliability probably takes out the Cadillac and a cheapo 996. The RX8 is not as bad as it's made out to be, especially a late one with low miles but hurr durr dorito motor. I forgot about the Bimmers, so a Laguna blue E46 M3 would probably be my choice under 20 (which is hardly "low maintenance").
      E46 M3's problems tend to be one and done type fixes. RX-8's problems are unfixable design flaws. Even without that it just wasn't a good suggestion. Literally the first thing OP asked for was torque.

Cars
      '12 Miata, '14 ML350, '03 FLHTCUI, E36 & E39, MINI
      04-07-2020 12:51 PM #31
      And another Porsche vote!

2007 Boxster S $18,500l (in Rockville)

Cars
      04-07-2020 12:53 PM #32

I daily drove my 987 Cayman S for years without any issues of dealing with an un"ideal" day...

Cars
      04-07-2020 01:14 PM #33
      E46 M3's problems tend to be one and done type fixes. RX-8's problems are unfixable design flaws. Even without that it just wasn't a good suggestion. Literally the first thing OP asked for was torque.
      Bruh you're hung up about this "torque" thing so lemme just post part of the OP here:

Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      The Red Sport has proven reliable..and it's been ridiculous fun to mash the pedal and ride that wave of twin turbo torque. In 25k miles it's only needed the routine maintenance (oil changes). I've decided I won't be keeping it, now that we have 3 cars (I bought a new to me crew cab truck, and have the Navigator L for family hauling duties), I'm looking for something with more of an edge, smaller, lighter weight, and more fun.
      He mentions it once while referring to his current car, and as far as what he wants I conveniently bolded it. Also the idea that an E46 M3 or 911 is cheaper to own than a clean, late RX8 is laughable.

10. Member
      Cars
      04-07-2020 01:33 PM #34
      Bruh you're hung up about this "torque" thing so lemme just post part of the OP here:

He mentions it once while referring to his current car, and as far as what he wants I conveniently bolded it. Also the idea that an E46 M3 or 911 is cheaper to own than a clean, late RX8 is laughable.
      Never claimed the E46 M3 & 911 would be cheaper but OK

My only point was OP can have something smaller, edgier and lighter without completely giving up straight line oomph via something like a BRZ/RX-8. There seems to be this idea that "drivers car" = no torque which I find kind of annoying.

11. Member
      Cars
      19 GLI Autobahn
      04-07-2020 01:42 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      You don't want to deal with hassles. New GLI.

This.

I have a lightly modded 2019 GLI Autobahn (APR stage 2 tune, APR DP & FMIC, APR intake/TIP/turbo muffler delete, AWE CBE, DSG tune) and it is a fast and fun family sedan. I like the interior design on the GLI more than the GTI though the materials are cheaper, and Beats audio is awful compared to GTI Fender - but it gets cooled seats, much more comfy/less aggressive seats than the GTI, and the digital dash- though it is annoyingly nerfed (does not display nav in the center, cannot display performance gauges in the center).

It replaced a 2018 WRX for me - getting low 30s on the highway. With the 7 speed DSG it spins 2000rpm @ 75mph. The LSD is terrific - it's why i got it over a Accord Sport or similar - i will not do open-diff FWD cars again.

You can get better deals than i did right now since there are stronger incentives, but I paid around $28.5 for my DSG's Autobahn with the service pack (1st 3x services included) and the usual monster-mat ever dealer tosses on cars.

Stock tires suck but that's life. I am going to wear them out and mount winters on the OEM 18s and get a light set of 17s with quality rubber for the summers.

Even if you want to lightly mod, APR has a warrantied tune - just do a GLI with their warranty'd tune (essentially a low-torque stage 1) and have fun. I test drove a manual GLI and the manual was very good - at least substantially better than my 2018 WRX with the STI shifter. I wanted a DSG this time, but that was a pleasant car.

Comfy, roomy, pleasant. Great affordable package with a strong warranty even after the reduction from the 19s (which is why i got a 19 and not a 20). As a plus now, i think active dampers is standard on the autobahn alongside a wireless charging pad.
      Last edited by Lawrider; 04-08-2020 at 11:17 AM.

12. Member
      Cars
      04-07-2020 01:54 PM #36
      The only things the GLI would improve on from the Q50RS are running costs. He already has a few family vehicles. A used sports car/GT wouldn't be a huge hassle for primarily weekend duty

Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      04-07-2020 02:00 PM #37
      Never claimed the E46 M3 & 911 would be cheaper but OK

My only point was OP can have something smaller, edgier and lighter without completely giving up straight line oomph via something like a BRZ/RX-8. There seems to be this idea that "drivers car" = no torque which I find kind of annoying.
      I have an RX-8 with "oomph" and torque that can be had for less than the OPs budget. And it has OEM reliability!
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

04-07-2020 02:08 PM #38
      A GLI is a great all-rounder if it's your only car, but as a 3rd sports car, it's just not dynamically sporty enough IMO. CTK's suggestion of an E89 Z4 was very interesting -- the turbo's torque might work well for the OP while still feeling more special than a Focus or Jetta or something.

124 Abarth has that turbo torque feeling with a manual and within budget, so I recommend test driving that one. E89 Z4 35i (0-60 in 4.7) if a 124 is not fast enough.
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

Cars
      Q50 RS400, Lincoln Navigator L, GMC Sierra
      04-07-2020 09:41 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      A GLI is a great all-rounder if it's your only car, but as a 3rd sports car, it's just not dynamically sporty enough IMO. CTK's suggestion of an E89 Z4 was very interesting -- the turbo's torque might work well for the OP while still feeling more special than a Focus or Jetta or something.

124 Abarth has that turbo torque feeling with a manual and within budget, so I recommend test driving that one. E89 Z4 35i (0-60 in 4.7) if a 124 is not fast enough.
      True, although I do want something that won't beat me up everyday because I do plan to drive it during the week sometimes to get to work.

The RX8 idea is interesting, I think I'd enjoy that more than the twins and I've always loved the look of the R3 especially. But didn't the Renesys engine need replacement every 60-80k, and lots of oil consumption or fuel issues?

Looking for something reliable - which is why the older M3s and Porsche's scare me a bit.

I came across a 135i today that piqued my interest - these are lighter than the Q and still have that torquey turbo motor. Also tons of aftermarket support to keep things interesting if I do want to mod.

How would 135i maintenance and reliability compare to something like the 987 Boxster?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      04-07-2020 10:09 PM #40
      Also the Mustang has a Chinese transmission that's problematic.
      Chinese-built, sure. Problematic, no. Failures were few and far in between.
      The RX8 idea is interesting, I think I'd enjoy that more than the twins and I've always loved the look of the R3 especially. But didn't the Renesys engine need replacement every 60-80k, and lots of oil consumption or fuel issues?
      The Renesis was not any less reliable than a traditional N/A fuel-injected rotary, which are quite reliable. The problem was the early cars had bad coil packs that would lead dealers to believe that engine was dead and Mazda reman Renesis engines were garbage in the first couple of years of the RX-8. Also, some ECUs were not injecting enough oil into the engine, causing some failures. The facelift/updated cars were fine, although the number 1 issue becomes finding one that was cared for properly given the unique engine.

More to read here if you're interested: http://www.rx8club.com/new-member-fo...54/?styleid=22
      Last edited by Elite_Deforce; 04-07-2020 at 10:12 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      04-08-2020 08:03 AM #41
      True, although I do want something that won't beat me up everyday because I do plan to drive it during the week sometimes to get to work.

Looking for something reliable - which is why the older M3s and Porsche's scare me a bit.

I came across a 135i today that piqued my interest - these are lighter than the Q and still have that torquey turbo motor. Also tons of aftermarket support to keep things interesting if I do want to mod.

How would 135i maintenance and reliability compare to something like the 987 Boxster?

Just get the old Porsche or BMW. Why? Because you've already got daily drivers. Enjoy life a bit more and don't get a GLI. Good lord. A fifteen year-old BMW or Porsche will be so much more fun to drive as they have glorious steering, more characterful engines, and the classic vibes that make them just more fun to see in the garage or parked outside an icecream stand on your favorite backroad.

If you have reliable transportation, then get something that will make you feel something. Not directly comparable, but my old BMW is an absolute joy. My wife, daughter and I took it into the wilds two days ago to take a bit of a hike. The drive there and back was the kind of memory-making stuff that can't be replicated in a GLI. We had the Smiths playing on cassette, my daughter was laughing away in the backseat as we crested the rises in the road, and my wife smiled because the old car bridged the time between us being poor students driving old cars listening to music and now when things have kind of all come together. Old cars are time machines and make you feel something that a GLI never could. The intangible old car experience isn't just about the way they drive, but the way they make you remember.

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      04-08-2020 08:33 AM #42

No turbos in the Boxster and *generally* more well-cared for examples would give the nod to Porsche IMO.

Find a 986S from a Porsche enthusiast with documented IMS/clutch replacement and have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Just get the old Porsche or BMW. Why? Because you've already got daily drivers. Enjoy life a bit more and don't get a GLI. Good lord. A fifteen year-old BMW or Porsche will be so much more fun to drive as they have glorious steering, more characterful engines, and the classic vibes that make them just more fun to see in the garage or parked outside an icecream stand on your favorite backroad.

If you have reliable transportation, then get something that will make you feel something. Not directly comparable, but my old BMW is an absolute joy. My wife, daughter and I took it into the wilds two days ago to take a bit of a hike. The drive there and back was the kind of memory-making stuff that can't be replicated in a GLI. We had the Smiths playing on cassette, my daughter was laughing away in the backseat as we crested the rises in the road, and my wife smiled because the old car bridged the time between us being poor students driving old cars listening to music and now when things have kind of all come together. Old cars are time machines and make you feel something that a GLI never could. The intangible old car experience isn't just about the way they drive, but the way they make you remember.
      Very well said.
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 04-08-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Cars
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      04-08-2020 08:43 AM #43
      I recommend a 996. Similar to you, I got it as a second/third car that I drive on the weekends and take to work once or twice per week. I can take 1 or 2 of my kids to practice in a pinch, because of the back seats.

I got mine for slightly above your budget, and it has the IMS / clutch upgrade done by the previous owner.

From a reliability perspective, it has needed nothing other than ordinary maintenance since I bought it (little over 2 years ago). About $400/year so far. Besides wanting to check off that 911 bucket list, I wanted something that was at or near the bottom of its depreciation curve.

20. Member
      Cars
      04-08-2020 10:14 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post

Very well said.
      Agreed

Some of the suggestions people are throwing out here make it seem like people aren't even reading the OP... they just see "car suggestion needed" in the title and start value signaling or choice confirming.

I 1000% admit to doing the same but I at least factor OP's parameters into my response. And I agree that he should live a little and get something older and interesting. Cheap N/A German performance cars are a dying breed; we have all the time in the world to get turbo 4 banger FWD economy cars. Soon that might be all that's left

21. Member
      Cars
      19 GLI Autobahn
      04-08-2020 11:19 AM #45

What about a 128i? That is something on my list to find, not fast but the last of the lovely NA I6 BMW coupes. Only issue is it appears they were open diffed, so maybe a LSD swap in the future. They are very affordable, sound great, have pleasant power and would be very commuter friendly.

22. Member
      Cars
      19 GLI Autobahn
      04-08-2020 11:24 AM #46
      Agreed

Some of the suggestions people are throwing out here make it seem like people aren't even reading the OP... they just see "car suggestion needed" in the title and start value signaling or choice confirming.

I 1000% admit to doing the same but I at least factor OP's parameters into my response. And I agree that he should live a little and get something older and interesting. Cheap N/A German performance cars are a dying breed; we have all the time in the world to get turbo 4 banger FWD economy cars. Soon that might be all that's left
      Didn't he say things like a FOST and ATS and GLI were contenders on his list? I haven't seen anything in this thread that is way outside of what he was asking. Of course a GLI does not compare to a dedicated sports car - but the OP put it on his list. In addition, even for a 3rd car, some folks wants plenty of practicality (which is why i suspect he mentioned ATS/FOST/GLI). There is a real desire in our minds to have something specialized, but in reality it's great to have that practical yet fun formula. I read a really nice article a bit ago about a guy that had a FiST and a Mustang GT and he ended up driving the FiST all the time because it was more fun on public roads while being far more practical.

I am struggling to identify a fun car for myself - currently considering a NC3 Miata, a BRZ, a 128i, a early Cayman, and a C6 Corvette. Practicality is important even for a fun car - and i thinking about how much more useful a Vette or BRZ would be on a roadtrip with a wife/GF than the Miata. Can't fault someone that wants even their 3rd car to be something the family can still pile into.
      Last edited by Lawrider; 04-08-2020 at 11:41 AM. Reason: moar

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      04-08-2020 11:30 AM #47
      Agreed

I know whenever I create one of these threads, I get suggestions that I wouldn't have thought of and my "needs" column changes as a result. We are just trying to broaden the OP's selection.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      04-08-2020 12:21 PM #48
      New Jetta GLI w/ 6MT - dealers have these at huge discounts right now, along with VW's 0%. The package is enticing, although I'm wondering if this will be the "fun" i'm looking for in a 3rd car.
      If it's a 3rd car, why on Earth would you buy one of those?
      iain

04-08-2020 12:34 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      If it's a 3rd car, why on Earth would you buy one of those?
      I've been lurking in this thread wondering the same thing.

Cars
      04-08-2020 12:39 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      I am struggling to identify a fun car for myself - currently considering a NC3 Miata, a BRZ, a 128i, a early Cayman, and a C6 Corvette. Practicality is important even for a fun car - and i thinking about how much more useful a Vette or BRZ would be on a roadtrip with a wife/GF than the Miata.
      It depends, which isn't really helpful. I went from a tuned 335i coupe to a Cayman S to an NC Miata. For me, the power of the first two were great but not very useful on the streets. If you're illegal by the time you shift to 2nd gear it's possibly too much. The Miata is slow but very fun to drive. With coilovers it's nearly as good handling as the Cayman S but the gearing and lower power make it seem like you're doing illegal things while staying nearly within the law most times. They're all two seaters so practicality isn't the best, but as a 3rd car who cares?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast