Fourtitude.com - What is this Woman Doing?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. 04-06-2020 09:44 AM #1
      I've lived in my house for five years now.

There is a woman who lives in a house around the corner, on the next adjacent street. Middle aged, normal-looking lady.

For the entire time I've lived here, multiple times per week (3-5 that I am here to see, so probably far more), she drives up our street slowly, stopping every couple houses, and she is always bent over towards the center console, looking at her phone. She stops outside different houses all the time, but she gets everyone it seems. Then putters up the street a house or two, stops again, and continues doing this all the way up the street. Stops for anywhere from 5 seconds 2 minutes.

Last year I was outside in my front yard working on a gutter, and she stopped right in front of my house, not 40 feet from me. I'd had enough, so I walked down to her car to introduce myself and ask her what the hell it is that she's doing. I tapped on her window, she looked up, freaked the F out, and juiced it. She went up the street maybe 200 yards and stopped for a good while as I stood in the street just staring at her car like wtf.

What on earth could she possibly be doing that causes her to pause every couple houses looking at her phone, multiple times per week, all hours and days of the week?

Literally the only thing I could think is city code enforcement, but three problems with that:

1) That would be M-F, 8-4:30 or whatever. She was driving by last night, a Sunday, at 8 PM. She often is seen on weekends and/or well after normal city work hours.
      2) No city has someone enforcing codes 5x a week, that's more like a once-every-three-years drive by.
      3) Also I'm quite sure her house is in violation of city ordinances anyway, re: garbage cans visible.

What could she be doing? My wife and I are at a loss.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      04-06-2020 09:46 AM #2
      Looking for unsecured wifi access points to download pR0n?
      Dave

4. Member
      04-06-2020 09:47 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      Looking for unsecured wifi access points to download pR0n?
      Yeah, wonder if she's wardriving. You wouldn't think you'd need to do it that much though, it's not like people change their SSIDs on a daily basis.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

Cars
      2018 F150
      04-06-2020 09:51 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      Yeah, wonder if she's wardriving. You wouldn't think you'd need to do it that much though, it's not like people change their SSIDs on a daily basis.
      Maybe she hasn't gotten any passwords cracked yet.
      She makes X attempts at each spot until it locks it down for so many unsuccessful passwords.
      Then she tries again a few days later.
      Either that, or she is using guest wifi at certain spots and it times out quickly.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

6. 04-06-2020 09:51 AM #5
      Possibly relevant info: her house apparently went to foreclosure auction a year ago due to a 15 or 20k unpaid balance according to Zillow. Not sure why she's still there if it went to auction a year ago?

Cars
      2012 Jeep Wrangler sport, 2015 GTI SE w/ PP
      04-06-2020 10:06 AM #6
      Playing Pokemon GO maybe?
      "Look pal, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like: what is beauty? Because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of Philosophy. I solve practical problems!" ~ Dell C.
      The Blue Crayon 2 - 2015 VW GTI with performance pack
      The Little Green Crayon - 2102 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport (modified for mud)

04-06-2020 11:03 AM #7
      Probably mentally ill and thinks people are spying on her or something.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

9. 04-06-2020 11:09 AM #8
      Knock on the door.

04-06-2020 11:10 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Omega360 View Post
      this would be the lesser evil of all possible scenarios

11. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      04-06-2020 11:10 AM #10
      Maybe she's the world's worst Uber driver and she's looking for her first customer?

More likely she's making a very poor attempt at getting access to wifi networks.

12. 04-06-2020 11:12 AM #11
      What good would it do her to access a wifi network from her car that she'd be out of range for at her house anyway? And how many times a week can you drive up the same street hoping for a new network?

This is certainly something I hadn't thought of, but I'm still

Cars
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      04-06-2020 11:15 AM #12
      This is very likely.

When I first moved into my current house, I noticed a few people (one, being a lady, sometimes multiple times a day) stopped in front of my house and screwing around on their phones. One evening I was outside and a guy pulled up and stopped, so I went and asked him what he was up to.

This guy was so uncomfortable explaining that he's playing a game his kid got him totally hooked on. He went on to explain that there is a gym or something very nearby, and that there are real strong pokemon often in front of my house, so he comes through this way to go home.

I'd bet the OP here is seeing the same thing.

14. Member
      04-06-2020 11:16 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      What good would it do her to access a wifi network from her car that she'd be out of range for at her house anyway? And how many times a week can you drive up the same street hoping for a new network?

This is certainly something I hadn't thought of, but I'm still
      When you see her aiming a cantenna at your house, you'll know what she's been up to.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

Cars
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      04-06-2020 11:21 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post

I'd bet the OP here is seeing the same thing.
      I work in a highly secure building with one of the few plots of green space downtown. Every few weeks there will be a bunch of people standing at the entrance staring at their phones while the security guards look on. They're playing pokemon.
      call it potatography

04-06-2020 11:23 AM #15
      That would go along with the fact she drives very slowly. Doesn't Pokemon Go require you to be on foot, or at least to be traveling less than 5mph or something for safety? I remember a few years ago seeing a guy set up a massive electric train track on his ranch and had it drive his phone all around the ranch to make it look like it was walking all over.

17. 04-06-2020 11:26 AM #16
      None of the kids in the neighborhood are playing Pokemon along with her though...

Pokemon is so 2018

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      04-06-2020 11:36 AM #17
      I'm going to go with just plain strange. I had an old neighbor who would, every day on his way home, stop a few blocks away on a side street to step out of his car and have a smoke. He also occasionally smoked at home while standing next to his house, so it wasn't a secret or anything. Some people just have strange motivations for their behavior.

If it's bothering you and the neighbors, very obviously take a picture of her in her car every time you see her stop near your house and report it to local PD non-emergency.

19. Member
      Cars
      MK VI Jetta GLI, MKV GTI
      04-06-2020 11:39 AM #18
      I vote Pokémon Go as well

Cars
      1998 New Beetle. 2019 GSW
      04-06-2020 11:40 AM #19
      You could install a wifi analyzer and go to all the spots she stopped and see if you can detect any unsecured wifi access points to confirm or rule out looking for open wifi.

Apparently Pokemon Go is still a go. I encounter those folks on the bike trails. It takes some horn work to clear a path through them.

21. Member
      Cars
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      04-06-2020 11:46 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Probably mentally ill and thinks people are spying on her or something.
      Probably will share TMI but whatever, my life has turned into a mess anyway over the past year and especially the past two weeks and its an anonymous forum so may as well.

This is exactly what I thought based on personal experiences mainly. My mom has become very mentally ill over the past 2 years, having lots of psychosis, and this sounds like exactly something she would do. Everything from the driving to the freak out at the end.

22. 04-06-2020 11:51 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonk2Hossa View Post
      Probably will share TMI but whatever, my life has turned into a mess anyway over the past year and especially the past two weeks and its an anonymous forum so may as well.

This is exactly what I thought based on personal experiences mainly. My mom has become very mentally ill over the past 2 years, having lots of psychosis, and this sounds like exactly something she would do. Everything from the driving to the freak out at the end.
      Could be this.

Also as far as Pokemon, she has been doing this for 4-5 years, I don't think Pokemon was around at that time.

Cars
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      04-06-2020 12:05 PM #22
      None of the kids in the neighborhood are playing Pokemon along with her though...

Pokemon is so 2018
      I don't disagree with that. Even in 2018, a 50yr old woman playing it was strange. But that's absolutely what the people I've seen are doing.

24. 04-06-2020 12:17 PM #23
      I vote Pokemon Go, especially with how some of the spawn points are in subdivisions, my house gets like 1 or 2 every hour, but there are sections in my neighborhood would get a spawn of 5-6 or even more. Some areas seem to get more "rare" spawns too.

I still play occasionally...and I've seen demographics of players of all ages still playing it locally, from the high school/college student to older couples playing to pass time and get out of the house.

Pogo came out summer of 2016

Cars
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      04-06-2020 12:28 PM #24
      Could be this.

Also as far as Pokemon, she has been doing this for 4-5 years, I don't think Pokemon was around at that time.
      It was. Quick google tells me it was released July 2016.
      call it potatography

26. 04-06-2020 12:35 PM #25
      so looks like we are down to rogue pokemon go player or internetz stealer with an outside chance of mental illness, lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast