Fourtitude.com - COVID-19: Solo Rides or with Others?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      04-05-2020 11:01 PM #1
      Massive debate by our local mountain bike chapter, should we not allow people to ride in groups or not?

I rode with two other people this weekend, posted photos of rider 200ft in front of me and got destroyed by certain people I was being selfish, foolish, endangering my family, etc. "Your sending a bad message"
      On the flip side, had few comment the risk was low, people overreacting and its safer to have a 2nd person if something did happen (accident, mechanical, etc)

Our group of 3 people were very self-aware of the whole situation. We even said no more than 3 people for these rides but we following to be safe:
      - Know the park where were going to ride
      - Lead rider calls out where we are going (segment or spot-to-spot)
      - Gap 15-20 seconds between each rider
      - If we make up the gap, call out to either overtake or re-gap
      - No stops, lead rider calls out next segment/trail
      Honestly it felt like a solo ride with me but knowing someone was there just in case something happened.

So are you riding solo, riding with few buddies or still hosting group rides? Anything change in how they are managed?
      Last edited by OttaCee; 04-05-2020 at 11:04 PM.
      19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      04-06-2020 09:22 AM #2
      I tend to ride solo, and have even before this mess. There's the issue of being in the "wash" of the person in front of you, but I'm not sure how much that matters at speed in a presumably twisty, tree-lined trail. Then again, I can smell when somebody is wearing some sort perfume or cologne for hundreds of yards before I pass them (gross).... might be a similar concept. Having others with you does provide a bit of a safety net though. On that front, like always, I tell my wife where I'm going and give her a rough idea of when I'll be back.

What I have been doing is not riding at any time other than sunrise and after dark (though no MTBing after dark these days). The reason being is that trails are crowded and there's not really a good way to give people space, especially in the woods. It's also annoying and not relaxing. How can I ruminate about my idiotic neighbors that aren't taking this seriously when I can't get a clear ride?

While on a hike yesterday, I saw a group of 3 MTBers not at all following the current recommendations (hanging out like normal on the side of a neighboring trail). Aside from that, I mostly see solo riders and pairs, at least on the roads. At the time of day I've been riding, I might see one or two riders in an hour, and car traffic is obviously down significantly. It's been nice.

Cars
      Bought not built.
      04-06-2020 10:21 AM #3
      I don't think it's a huge deal if you keep your distance from each other and I guess no carpooling. FWIW some folks down here are losing their minds over people riding solo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      04-09-2020 12:41 PM #5
      Ive read these and they make sense for open road with no obstructions - Our local road rides have stopped completely most due to the average age is mid 50s and dont want to take the risk.

But what about singletrack that has trees, twists and turns?

Side note - Since my local MTB group is pretty much socially criticizing anyone asking for a riding partner, younger guy was forced to ride solo yesterday. Per him, he front flatted mid corner and ran into a tree - knocking him out. Luckily someone finally found him after being down for 15mins and called 911. He's grateful that someone found him but so frustrated we cant have a balance of safe riding with others.
      19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

Cars
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      04-09-2020 01:06 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
      Ive read these and they make sense for open road with no obstructions - Our local road rides have stopped completely most due to the average age is mid 50s and dont want to take the risk.

But what about singletrack that has trees, twists and turns?

Side note - Since my local MTB group is pretty much socially criticizing anyone asking for a riding partner, younger guy was forced to ride solo yesterday. Per him, he front flatted mid corner and ran into a tree - knocking him out. Luckily someone finally found him after being down for 15mins and called 911. He's grateful that someone found him but so frustrated we cant have a balance of safe riding with others.
      MTBing is interesting. There are a lot of factors that just aren't present in road riding, for sure. At least around here, trails closely double back on themselves quite a bit, which makes it difficult to keep your distance sometimes. Then there are tons of leafy trees, which I'm sure disperse things more than in the open... but there's less breeze and more humidity. I'm guessing it's an impossible question to answer. I've seen several MTBers wearing surgical masks. I can't imagine that works well. I can't even keep a balaclava over my nose/mouth when it's 20f outside, let alone 70-80.

That wreck sounds pretty bad and he was lucky to be found. But yeah, what do you do? You can't/aren't supposed to have both, so I guess you take your risks.

8. 04-19-2020 07:16 PM #7
      I tend to ride solo these days and I am not taking many risks. Don't want to go to the hospital even if a buddy is bringing me there. To be honest, I am less concerned about picking up the virus and more concerned that our trails will get shut down if we are seen grouping together.