Massive debate by our local mountain bike chapter, should we not allow people to ride in groups or not?
I rode with two other people this weekend, posted photos of rider 200ft in front of me and got destroyed by certain people I was being selfish, foolish, endangering my family, etc. "Your sending a bad message"
On the flip side, had few comment the risk was low, people overreacting and its safer to have a 2nd person if something did happen (accident, mechanical, etc)
Our group of 3 people were very self-aware of the whole situation. We even said no more than 3 people for these rides but we following to be safe:
- Know the park where were going to ride
- Lead rider calls out where we are going (segment or spot-to-spot)
- Gap 15-20 seconds between each rider
- If we make up the gap, call out to either overtake or re-gap
- No stops, lead rider calls out next segment/trail
Honestly it felt like a solo ride with me but knowing someone was there just in case something happened.
So are you riding solo, riding with few buddies or still hosting group rides? Anything change in how they are managed?