VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Going from sport hatch to 4x4- Jeep JL owner input wanted.

2K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  88c900t 
#1 · (Edited)
new GLI vs WRX vs old FocuST.

Ok, this jeep thing was a fun mental exercise but it's untenable for a few reasons and I'm going to just use this thread instead of creating a new one. Basically, I don't have access to the right kind of land to have any fun (which is the same reason I don't have a rallyX track) and I didn't realize how low the towing capacity was for the 4 door model.

That said, I'm thinking about a GLI as they are 5-6K off MSRP now, but I wanted to look into the WRX as well. I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong places, but 2019 WRXs are still going for MSRP (28K for the base) and that seems like alot for what is a 5-6 year old design at this point, and $7,000 more than a GLI S. The lease deals are nothing special either, over 400 OTD. Will there be deals to be had, or should I just forget Subarus?

The GLI, particularly this one sub 23K 35th AE looks like a great deal, with VW's 0% for 72. But a GTI I drove had pretty tall gearing, and a large gap between low and second. The shifter/clutch/ratios are the best parts about my Focus, and I like the exhaust note and the Recaros. Is the GLI enough of an upgrade to justify the jump? Is it as fun to drive as my Focus?

Someone posted a seemingly excellent lease deal for a sport 4 door JL wrangler (IE, the most basic one), and it's very, very tempting. But it's a massive departure to the type of cars that I'm used to, like my Focus ST. I want to hear from people who have transitioned from a smaller, sportier car as their daily into a Wrongler (or 4Runner, or other traditional 4x4). Should I find one to rent??

It has some obvious benefits: It can tow a (small) car, I could get back into offroading, it's a convertible and something of a party mobile, it's hoonable. But even though my payment will shrink, insurance will probably go up.

https://www.jeep.com/incentives/offers-model.html?ccode=CUJ202010JLJL74A

I haven't looked into it yet, but any WRX/STI incentives?

edit: Bookmarked the savagegeese review and going to the land to see what there is in trails.

See less See more
#11 ·
Really? I thought these things could tow 5k (IE: 4k ideally).

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...e-too-long-or-have-I-fallen-out-of-love&amp=1

I dunno, it was fun for a while but unless you’re doing Jee things all the time, it gets old IMO.

I don’t need an F1 car, but I’d like something quick and nimble again.
Like you, I also have a short commute. Probably 7-9K miles per year. Unlike you, it's not in a major metro so parking is a non-issue.

It all depends. I would rent one for a week to see what you think. I bought a base sport with one option: the HD44 rear and anti-slip.

While I wish I'd have opted for the power windows and locks, but I've been gradually upgrading it as I've encountered things I can't live without.

Also, get the automatic. The manual isn't that great and the automatic is so good and it hides the 3.6's lack of torque. Also, get the 2.0.
Yeah, the ZF8 is a great unit and will mask the Pentastars lack of torque, but the 2.0 is more expensive and an unproven engine. The lease deal in question is a sport 4 door 6 speed.

#3 ·
Unless you're one of TCL's many F1 drivers that can't live without something "tossable" for their 11/10ths freeway commute, it won't be much of an adjustment and you'll probably find yourself quickly understanding why SUVs are so popular.

#5 ·
It all depends. I would rent one for a week to see what you think. I bought a base sport with one option: the HD44 rear and anti-slip.

While I wish I'd have opted for the power windows and locks, but I've been gradually upgrading it as I've encountered things I can't live without.

Also, get the automatic. The manual isn't that great and the automatic is so good and it hides the 3.6's lack of torque. Also, get the 2.0.

I've added a lift, tires, rubicon wheels (huge improvement as they're so much lighter), hard top, steps for my short wife to get in and out easier (she daily drives it now), skid plates and a 10 inch radio.

But it's totally drivable every day, and as you get bored, just upgrade it. Even with a lease, you can just unbolt your crap and put it on your next one.

Chris

#7 ·
I've added a lift, tires, rubicon wheels (huge improvement as they're so much lighter), hard top, steps for my short wife to get in and out easier (she daily drives it now), skid plates and a 10 inch radio.
I've never understood this.
If you've got that much cash to play with why not start with the Rubicon which makes all the expensive stuff cheaper in the long run.
Adding all that to a Sport is a sunk cost.

#6 ·
We traded in an Alltrack 6 speed on a JK 6 speed last year. It's my wife's daily. She loves it. Great in snow, useful size, easy to park, plus she loves convertibles.

I would be happy with it as a daily but not as my only car. I'd need a weekend sports car. Iirc you've got that covered.

I'd recommend one. Haven't driven a JL but it is supposed to be a better daily than the JK.

#10 ·
I went from a 2008 R32 to a 2017 Durango RT. The main reason was coaching my sons sports and vacations. It is going on 3 years and I wont say I am regretting it but I am looking forward to getting past this stage and getting into something smaller and sporty again. The RT is fun and such but it isn't a 2 door hatchback. If you need/want the space and extra creature comforts than sure, if not stay with the Focus.

#18 ·
My Frontier CC 4x4 was really a jack of all trades, master of none. It was nice when I had a Miata/WRX/E36 M3 to balance out the daily driver duties with the Frontier, but when it went to a sole daily driver role once my priorities got focused elsewhere, yeah it kinda sucked. To the point where I traded it in for a Camry SE and bought my cheap Silverado to handle tow duties. Kinda shows how low the bar was set when a Camry SE offers a much better driving experience (even though in my view, it's a good-driving car in its own right)

Since you've got the MSM and Skyline, I can see how the allure of a 4x4 do-all like the JL or Gladiator would be tempting. And honestly, that's not a bad idea to have something utilitarian like that to round out the fleet. If you intend to put the MSM/Skyline into the rotation on your daily commute, it would make sense. I just found it hard to be satisfied with it as a sole daily driver.

I know a Frontier isn't a JL or Gladiator in terms of coolness, but in my (limited) behind the wheel view of the JL (I have a lot more JK experience) the Frontier is a better driver, and it's *still* outdated compared to a normal road car.

Upside on a truck/JL/Gladiator is that resale is good, at least for the time being. I got a decent return on the Frontier when I traded it in, so if you buy one and find over time (2-3 years) that you don't like it, you'll likely not lose much on it.

Side note, when I did the financial analysis on my cost of ownership on my wife's 2013 Mazda3 versus the '12 JK that a friend of mine bought used around the same time had put similar miles on our vehicles, I found that with the resale quotient of the JK cost of ownership pretty much made up for the fuel savings versus the 36 MPG we were getting with the Mazda. Resale on the Mazda - being a manual hatchback - was actually pretty poor when we went to go sell it.

#19 ·
I would rent one. I was dead set on buying a Wrangler, until I rented one in Hawaii for a week. Felt exactly the same as my 1997 Grand Cherokee on the road. For off-road, a new Wrangler would stress me out, I'd hate to bash and scrape the thing up. My old Jeep serves this purpose very well and it was only $1,200 10 years ago.

Beyond that, Jeeps really are great vehicles. I have a WK2 that has been excellent so far. My ZJ really fits into the apocalyptic atmosphere going on right now and has been a great vehicle for being 20+ years old.

#20 ·
Read the OP, the Wrangler isn't an option anymore.

#23 · (Edited)
I know the Wrangler isnt an option, but how about a Gladiator? The base Sport S with max tow has wider and stronger D44 front and rear (they all have D44 F/R) and can tow 7,650lbs. Can be leased for $294 per month per Jeep's website.
Actually, the sport S isn't the base, it has a better looking hardtop than the sport. Does the S have power windows/cruise?.

It's only 250 ish (with a hefty DP) for the Sport S, talk about the ultimate fake-rich car :eek::eek:

I think you need to drive the cars---that should tell you where to focus your attention. I think the GLI is the nicest car of the group, but it's also likely to be the slowest and least aggressively tuned. Within the last 2 months I sat in a brand new STI and really disliked it. I couldn't get past the 90s Asian car look/feel of the car. It felt tinny and cheap--and that's just by sitting in it and closing the door. So for me, I don't think I'd be able to move forward with that. I mean if you're just looking for ideas at this point, I'd probably also be looking at a Cooper S (or better), Veloster N, and Civic Si/R.

I think you're at a bit of a disadvantage here in that the ST is still a formidable performer. It may not have the bells/whistles or refinement of other options, but the performance is still there. And unless you really wanted AWD, I would rather keep the ST than move to a WRX. But that's me. You just need to drive the cars and see if any of them speak to you. Don't be surprised though if none of them provide a compelling case for themselves.

I'm aware of the other options, but I'm pretty much focused on the GLI and WRX only. I also run 88 octane E15 in my Focus so I'm not getting the full boost anyways, so I'm not going to notice the VW's 18 HP deficit and it has the LSD as well. I was also surprised that the 5 year old WRX design is still selling at MSRP (and for leftover 19s!), but the AWD is a big draw.

Yeah, I should drive a GLI manual if there is one within 40 mins of here, and get an updated Carvana offer.

#22 ·
That said, I'm thinking about a GLI as they are 5-6K off MSRP now, but I wanted to look into the WRX as well. I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong places, but 2019 WRXs are still going for MSRP (28K for the base) and that seems like alot for what is a 5-6 year old design at this point, and $7,000 more than a GLI S. The lease deals are nothing special either, over 400 OTD. Will there be deals to be had, or should I just forget Subarus?

The GLI, particularly this one sub 23K 35th AE looks like a great deal, with VW's 0% for 72. But a GTI I drove had pretty tall gearing, and a large gap between low and second. The shifter/clutch/ratios are the best parts about my Focus, and I like the exhaust note and the Recaros. Is the GLI enough of an upgrade to justify the jump? Is it as fun to drive as my Focus?
I think you need to drive the cars---that should tell you where to focus your attention. I think the GLI is the nicest car of the group, but it's also likely to be the slowest and least aggressively tuned. Within the last 2 months I sat in a brand new STI and really disliked it. I couldn't get past the 90s Asian car look/feel of the car. It felt tinny and cheap--and that's just by sitting in it and closing the door. So for me, I don't think I'd be able to move forward with that. I mean if you're just looking for ideas at this point, I'd probably also be looking at a Cooper S (or better), Veloster N, and Civic Si/R.

I think you're at a bit of a disadvantage here in that the ST is still a formidable performer. It may not have the bells/whistles or refinement of other options, but the performance is still there. And unless you really wanted AWD, I would rather keep the ST than move to a WRX. But that's me. You just need to drive the cars and see if any of them speak to you. Don't be surprised though if none of them provide a compelling case for themselves.

#25 ·
The GLI is a good bargain. I’ve owned one before and probably will again one day. Put an APR tune in it, and it’s a great little back road carver (though it seems like they’re harder on clutches than they used to be). Whether or not you’ll prefer it to your focus is really up to you. It’s same ballpark. The GLI is no RS3. I think VW tends to do a bit better job of refining their cars than most of their competition. That matters to some people (me), but if you are 100% performance focused you could probably do better elsewhere.

#31 · (Edited)
I might have to. In one month the Carvana offer went from 14,100 to 10,300 :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

edit: I'll see if a VW dealer can do the same or slightly better. That's 1000 less than what I owe. Thanks, WinnXi.

#27 ·
I just remembered that the Golf Alltrack/sportwagen exist. Do these still have the 0%/72 deal and can you get a 2.0t/6 speed/AWD config?

#29 ·
Ok apparently it's 1.8 only for the alltrack and some sportwagons are only 1.4. But they still have the 0/72.

Also a 35AE GLI is the same price/marginally cheaper than an SE Alltrack with 50 less hp. Probably should stick with the GLI. Might see one today, are dealers appointment only now?

#32 · (Edited)
#33 ·
Update. Despite being in a minor fender bender before I bought it, the dealer in Madison with the GLI I posted will give me a pretty solid offer on the Focus. Unfortunately it's 2 hours away on the west side of Madison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.