Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Junior Member
      Cars
      2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI, 1972 Beetle, 1969 Beetle
      04-02-2020 09:56 AM #1
      I have a 2005 GLS TDI Wagon with about 165k. I have only owned the car for a couple months, but have owned other B5 and B6 Passats. When I first got the car, I replaced the thermostat and attempted to battle the gurgling sound in the heater core with bleeding air out. No luck. I decided to just replace the plugged heater core rather than waste time and make a big mess trying to flush it. Glad I did, it was about 90% plugged.

The dashboard is all back together. I didn't unplug any sort of brake electrical components, and double checked that connectors adjacent the pedals were indeed secure. I checked the two fuse panel fuses for ABS, and neither seems blown.

When I turn the key to ON, the ABS and ESP triangle are solid on, and stay on. The red BRAKE light chimes and then stays steady on after a few moments. The brakes seem to work fine, but I assume not having ABS. The switch for ESP doesn't seem to have any effect on the situation. I have a scan tool, but not the full-blown VW software. No codes to clear.

I'm thinking I may have yanked or knocked something loose?? I would like to know which fuse in the engine bay is related to ABS/ESP. When I reconnected the battery, I accidentally left the key ON. Maybe that surge fried something? When I pulled the steering wheel, the turn signal cancel/airbag electrical cartridge popped out and 10ft of tape came unraveling out. Nothing seemed broken, so I wrapped it back up and snapped it back together.

I tried shutting everything off and key OFF and disconnecting the battery to see if there might be some reset that I could perform. No effect. I see a lot of ABS module postings due to suspension or brake work, or modules coming on while driving, but I don't see anything like this.

Anyone know a good place to start?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Cars
      2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI, 1972 Beetle, 1969 Beetle
      04-02-2020 04:15 PM #2
      It sounds like the ABS clock spring/turn signal cancel/airbag cartridge is the problem. Has anyone out there messed with this?

PN 1J0959654BK