Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      04-01-2020 03:19 PM #1
      It's not good.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301033348.html

FCA US Reports First Quarter 2020 Sales down 10%

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., April 1, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- FCA US LLC reported a 10 percent decline in its first quarter sales as the strong momentum in January and February was more than offset by the negative economic impact of the coronavirus in March.

"Our dealers have once again stepped up as pillars of the community as they have continued to provide critical support to our customers on the road," said U.S. Head of Sales Jeff Kommor. "Many have taken extraordinary steps ranging from enhanced sanitizing protocols for their showrooms to the offer of home delivery and other concierge services to keep consumers safe. I applaud all of them for their efforts."

For the quarter, U.S. sales were 446,768 vehicles compared with 498,425 for the same period a year earlier. Retail sales were 306,898 vehicles for the quarter. Fleet accounted for 31 percent of total sales.

Ram pickup trucks were a bright spot as sales rose 7 percent to 128,805 vehicles. Overall, the Ram brand rose 3 percent to 140,486 vehicles. Chrysler Pacifica sales rose 5 percent to 24,525 and Jeep® Gladiator notched sales of 15,259 vehicles. It was the third consecutive quarter Gladiator has surpassed the 15,000 mark.
      https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301033392.html

GM Reports First-Quarter U.S. Sales down 7%

DETROIT, April 1, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- General Motors (NYSE: GM) announced today that it delivered 618,335 vehicles in the first quarter of 2020, a decrease of about 7 percent compared to a year ago. The industry experienced significant declines in March due to the outbreak of COVID-19.

"In this uncertain and challenging time, GM and our strong network of dealers are here to help, offering concierge service, providing courtesy transportation to customers in need and offering home delivery where permissible," said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president, Sales Operations.

In many areas with stay-at-home orders, dealer service operations are considered essential and can remain open to address crucial vehicle needs for essential service providers like first responders, healthcare workers and food supply and delivery workers.
      https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301033188.html

Hyundai Motor America Reports Q1 and March 2020 Sales down 11% and 43% respectively

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., April 1, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America reported total March sales of 35,118 units, a 43% decrease in comparison with March 2019. This result was due to the substantial business disruptions across Hyundai's organization and the entire automotive industry from the COVID-19 global pandemic. Fleet sales were down 54% in March and represented 18% of total volume.

Despite overall sales growing 11% in January and February combined, Hyundai sold a total of 130,875 units in Q1, a decrease of 11% compared with Q1 2019.

Hyundai's retail sales also dropped by 39% in March. While January and February retail sales increased by a combined 24%, Hyundai sold 114,062 retail units in Q1, declining 2% in comparison with Q1 2019.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      04-01-2020 03:52 PM #2
      April will be worse. Probably around a 60-70% decline year-over-year, as over 75% of the population will be in lock down through at least the end of April, if not May or June.

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      04-01-2020 04:07 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      April will be worse. Probably around a 60-70% decline year-over-year, as over 75% of the population will be in lock down through at least the end of April, if not May or June.
      Yeah they're starting to furlough employees at our dealership, and have cut our hours. Thankful I still have a job though, many don't. Auto repairs are considered essential services in AZ right now so it'll continue on this way, I assume.
      ಠ_ಠ

5. Member
      Cars
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      04-01-2020 04:25 PM #4
      Hmmmmmm, April or May might be a good time to get a good deal. We were planning on keeping my wife's Passat until the wheels until it's dead, but this might change the equation.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

6. Member
      Cars
      2016 Chevy Tahoe LT
      04-01-2020 06:26 PM #5
      I was at the Chevy dealership getting service and the sales floor was roped off and said 'by appointment only'. Good to know they can still sell cars but I imagine they aren't selling many

7. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      04-01-2020 09:12 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ImHereForTheTaco View Post
      I was at the Chevy dealership getting service and the sales floor was roped off and said 'by appointment only'. Good to know they can still sell cars but I imagine they aren't selling many
      The mid-engine Corvette, which we have waited 50 years for, has finally arrived, but it will be debuting to crickets.

FCA/Jeep has again somehow missed out on perfect market conditions to sell big SUVs (the long delayed Grand Wagoneer, Wagoneer, and 3-Row Grand Cherokee). I suppose they will be able to delay the launch of those vehicles, until after the impending financial crisis. The last 4-6 years, however, would have been a golden time to launch such vehicles.

I wonder how this will impact the soon to be reborn Ford Bronco? I believe the Jeep JKU debuted during the height of the previous financial crisis, and was a huge success.
      Will a tighter market have room for the both the Bronco and Wrangler?

One last gloomy thought, have the Detroit 3 repeated their Great Recession mistake of focusing on SUVs and CUVs instead of cars?
      Yes, today's SUVs are way more fuel-efficient than the 2008 equivalents, but they are more expensive to purchase and operate than the cars like the Cruze, Focus, and Dart.
      IF we see a recession, a lot of people who will still be in the market for new cars probably won't be lining up for $40K+ CUVs.
      I suppose FCA/PCA can import sedans and hatches from Europe, to meet this need. Ditto for Ford.
      GM will be exposed, however, because they have exited European markets that favored cars, so they can't simply repurpose Opels and Vauxhalls to sell in North America anymore.
      I guess they can bring in Chevy and Buick cars, from China, but it seems like those cars have been tuned very specifically to Chinese market tastes, which might not meet American expectations.

04-01-2020 09:17 PM #7
      In the month of March, I've sold more cars than I ever have. To be fair, I've only been selling for 3 months, so this was a weird time to change professions.

We've sold quite a few Rams, a bunch of Journeys (Chrysler incentivizes low credit buyers on these), no Renegades, 1 Cherokee, 1 Grand Cherokee and a Charger. Oh, a couple of Wranglers and 1 Gladiator.

So my anecdote reflects the larger numbers.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

04-01-2020 09:39 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      The mid-engine Corvette, which we have waited 50 years for, has finally arrived, but it will be debuting to crickets.
      Actually it kind of isn't even debuting at all. It was delayed a month due to the strike, then they produced new Corvettes for a few months and shut right back down again for COVID-19 closures. It's a genuine worst case scenario for the mid-engined Corvette.

04-01-2020 09:41 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      One last gloomy thought, have the Detroit 3 repeated their Great Recession mistake of focusing on SUVs and CUVs instead of cars?
      Honestly it wasn't SUVs and CUVs that put them under in the great recession, it was their massive debt load and unsustainable retirement packages for their old workforce. Even when they started making small cars again they never made any money on them. Now the "CUVs" are available so tiny that they're smaller than family sedans and priced like family sedans anyway. The old argument of SUV versus sedan really died over the years because there's no longer a price nor efficiency gap between the two when comparing apples to apples.

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      04-01-2020 10:26 PM #10
      As others have said, April and May will be the one to watch.

My brother just got laid off from sales at a Toyota dealership; the places has been shutdown for two weeks now, with at least four more to go now that San Francisco have extended the shelter-in-place decree to May.

All that is to say, not a lot of car selling is going on right now.

Cars
      19' Tiguan, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      04-02-2020 07:56 AM #11
      VW down 13%
      Audi down 14%

13. Member
      Cars
      ATS, Type-R
      04-02-2020 08:34 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      As others have said, April and May will be the one to watch.

My brother just got laid off from sales at a Toyota dealership; the places has been shutdown for two weeks now, with at least four more to go now that San Francisco have extended the shelter-in-place decree to May.

All that is to say, not a lot of car selling is going on right now.
      May is optimistic, they are talking about this lasting until end of June in Canada.

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      04-02-2020 08:46 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Honestly it wasn't SUVs and CUVs that put them under in the great recession, it was their massive debt load and unsustainable retirement packages for their old workforce. Even when they started making small cars again they never made any money on them. Now the "CUVs" are available so tiny that they're smaller than family sedans and priced like family sedans anyway. The old argument of SUV versus sedan really died over the years because there's no longer a price nor efficiency gap between the two when comparing apples to apples.
      Efficiency has gotten pretty dang close, but CUVs are still 25% pricier than their sedan counterparts.

Rogue, CR-V, RAV-4 are all $25k+ for base models, Sentra, Civic, and Corolla are <$20k respectively.
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 04-02-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Cars
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      04-02-2020 09:10 AM #14
      Aren't Tesla sales online only now? The good thing is everyone's at home surfing the web now, but the bad thing is that nobody's planning to drive much now.

Cars
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      04-02-2020 09:18 AM #15
      March:
      Honda -47.7%
      Acura -51.2%

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-co...ket-conditions

And American Honda extends production shutdowns through April 10:

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-co...-us-and-canada

17. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      04-02-2020 09:25 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Aren't Tesla sales online only now? The good thing is everyone's at home surfing the web now, but the bad thing is that nobody's planning to drive much now.
      Speaking in general terms, the people who can afford Teslas (or other new cars) are probably working from home. While they can afford new vehicles, they currently don't really need a new car. The people who have to go to work (grocery store employees, drug store employees, Amazon warehouse/delivery drivers, etc...) are not in the new car purchasing market.
      The saving grace for Tesla and other car manufacturers, will be healthcare workers, first responders, law enforcement, etc... Those people (medical employees specifically) are typically high wage, and still have to drive to work. The car companies should really be bombarding those people with advertising.

18. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      04-02-2020 09:27 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      In the month of March, I've sold more cars than I ever have. To be fair, I've only been selling for 3 months, so this was a weird time to change professions.

We've sold quite a few Rams, a bunch of Journeys (Chrysler incentivizes low credit buyers on these), no Renegades, 1 Cherokee, 1 Grand Cherokee and a Charger. Oh, a couple of Wranglers and 1 Gladiator.

So my anecdote reflects the larger numbers.

Chris
      I feel that your part of the country is a lot like my part of the country.

For us, schools are closed and restaurants and bars are closed to dine-in, and other than that it's business as usual. Our local dealerships are also having a hay-day of this. They're selling a ton of vehicles right now, as everyone is still out and about, all businesses are open, and there are great deals to be had.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

04-02-2020 11:31 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Efficiency has gotten pretty dang close, but CUVs are still 25% pricier than their sedan counterparts.

Rogue, CR-V, RAV-4 are all $25k+ for base models, Sentra, Civic, and Corolla are <$20k respectively.
      Those aren't in the same class though. The interior volume and cargo space of midsize CUVs is far more than for compact sedans. If you're looking at compact sedans, you'd have to compare against compact CUVs, like the Kicks, HR-V, and C-HR. Resale value is generally higher for CUVs than sedans so the total cost of ownership likely makes it a wash.

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      04-02-2020 01:50 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Those aren't in the same class though. The interior volume and cargo space of midsize CUVs is far more than for compact sedans. If you're looking at compact sedans, you'd have to compare against compact CUVs, like the Kicks, HR-V, and CH-R. Resale value is generally higher for CUVs than sedans so the total cost of ownership likely makes it a wash.
      The Civic does not complete with the HR-V, no way. Civic is on same platform as the CR-V and shares the 1.5t and its a foot longer than the HR-V too.

Nissan and Toyota are a bit different in how they segment their lineup, but a Kicks is shorter, slower, and less equipped than a Sentra. Same with Corolla and CH-R. Bottom line is CUVs are always more expensive than their sedan counterpart, even if the specs don't line up 100%.
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 04-02-2020 at 02:18 PM.

04-02-2020 02:38 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      The Civic does not complete with the HR-V, no way.
      Buyers shop by price and size. Talk to any car salesperson and they'll tell you that monthly payment rules all with everything else being secondary. The Civic and HR-V are priced similarly, thus they compete for real buyers that aren't sitting around reading forums and comparing spec sheets. Most buyers don't even know what their car costs, only what their monthly payment is.

Cars
      '16 Soul
      04-02-2020 02:50 PM #21
      My car was totaled Saturday night. I'm in no hurry. Good time to make a deal though?
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

23. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman | 2019 R | 2015 Golf
      04-02-2020 02:57 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      My car was totaled Saturday night. I'm in no hurry. Good time to make a deal though?
      I'd probably wait a couple of more weeks, but on the flip side dealers could be shut down by then. Other than that you are in a great position, should be tons of great deals out there and you don't have to worry about the value of a trade which would be in the ditch. Have fun online shopping!

Cars
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      04-02-2020 03:03 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      And gas prices are so low! Makes you want to take a road trip but can't.

25. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman | 2019 R | 2015 Golf
      04-02-2020 03:43 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      And gas prices are so low! Makes you want to take a road trip but can't.
      You could road trip to Regina, walk around Wascana Lake, then drive home.

26. 04-02-2020 05:42 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      Honestly, probably the best thing to happen to you, as long as no one is hurt.

I would move ASAP. They are already hurting now, and if you wait too long, they could be closing up shop, and you are stuck without a car potentially.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast