Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. n00b
      Cars
      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX SE
      03-31-2020 01:18 AM #1
      Hi everyone. I joined this forum a while back when I was considering a GTI or a Golf R, but that never really went anywhere. Quick "about me" -- I'm in my mid-30s and currently daily-drive a bone stock 2006 Evo IX SE that I bought new and never modded. It's been great and has around 132k miles, and other than doing the normal routine stuff recommended, the only thing I've ever had to replace was the radiator at around 100k miles. It still runs really well, and I have no plans of getting rid of it.

With that being said, I am in my mid-30s. I don't really care what people think of what I drive (plus most people don't even think I'm as old as I am anyway), but considering I have a recent job offer for a VP position with another company, it wouldn't hurt to look into a new car. (I have the money for a new car in my current role, but this might be a good time to do it, with a bump in pay and a higher likelihood of visiting clients.)

I apologize if this is a topic that has been beaten to death, but how is ownership? Originally I was thinking about a 2020 BMW 330i (since even the base ones are pretty sweet, and the standard features are plenty, especially coming from an Evo, so I don't mind if it doesn't have all of the various packages), but it's likely going to cost around $40-45k. Again, I can do it, but it's still a nice chunk of change. But I saw what to me seems like a pretty sweet deal -- a CPO 2019 A3 with 1300 miles for under $24k, and it makes me want to pull the trigger because it's so cheap.

Is there anything I should be worried about? I'll still keep my Evo, so if something goes wrong, I'd have another car, but I'd rather not have to worry about that. I searched online for a bit and didn't find anything specific, other than some reviews saying that the long-term reliability is a little below average, so I'm curious how people have liked their cars or what kinds of problems they've had, provided it's a STOCK car, as I know some people on here mod.

Just as an FYI, if my Evo were totaled and I'd only have one car, I'd probably look at a higher model, like maybe an S3. Keep in mind that originally I was thinking about a Golf R a few years ago, but since I wanted to keep my Evo, I thought it would be redundant to have two AWD four-doors with similar performance.

Thanks ahead of time for any input or suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2015 A3
      03-31-2020 01:35 AM #2
      I got my 2015 CPO with 4k miles 8k off the MSRP price. The warranty is better and your still practically getting a new engine. Have them include Audi care as well so you don't have to do maintenance, which I think runs from 695 or above.

The only thing I would check is for burning oil somehow through service logs if available. Service is pricey so having Audicare is essential. I'd also help your service center because this will make a world of difference. Over had missed results with my local dealerships.

Otherwise, get it and save yourself a ton of money and the value decline driving off the lot with new.

Is this a premium, premium plus or prestige? Hopefully the later.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Last edited by mroberte; 03-31-2020 at 01:39 AM.

4. n00b
      Cars
      03-31-2020 11:49 AM #3
      Thanks for the quick reply.

I think the current price I saw on Audi's website for Audi Care is $799 (assuming that they charge the price that they display online and that prior models aren't locked into whatever price was offered that year if it hadn't been purchased), but looking through the maintenance schedules for the 2019 A3, it really only looks like oil changes every 10,000 miles and then brake fluid and cabin filter changes every 20,000 miles, plus a number of visual inspections/adjustments that vary depending on which interval. I looked at the maintenance schedule from Audi, and it's kind of funny... it even lists that they check the expiration date of the first aid kit, check and lubricate the door hinges, etc. But all the big stuff (belts, spark plugs, transmission fluid, even air filter) don't change until 60,000 miles or later, which I guess you'd only get covered if you get the warranty that goes up to 75,000 miles.

So with that being said, it's still worth it to get this rather than going to a shop owner I trust? Or would the latter negatively impact the warranty? (I know that it doesn't automatically invalidate the warranty -- trust me, I own an Evo and have had to deal with all sorts of stupid dealership stuff -- but it probably streamlines the process.)

This one is the Premium model (which I assume is the base one), but again, I'm coming from an Evo IX, so the features are light years ahead. Not sure if it being a Premium changes things.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Cars
      2015 A3
      03-31-2020 12:33 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
      Thanks for the quick reply.

I think the current price I saw on Audi's website for Audi Care is $799 (assuming that they charge the price that they display online and that prior models aren't locked into whatever price was offered that year if it hadn't been purchased), but looking through the maintenance schedules for the 2019 A3, it really only looks like oil changes every 10,000 miles and then brake fluid and cabin filter changes every 20,000 miles, plus a number of visual inspections/adjustments that vary depending on which interval. I looked at the maintenance schedule from Audi, and it's kind of funny... it even lists that they check the expiration date of the first aid kit, check and lubricate the door hinges, etc. But all the big stuff (belts, spark plugs, transmission fluid, even air filter) don't change until 60,000 miles or later, which I guess you'd only get covered if you get the warranty that goes up to 75,000 miles.

So with that being said, it's still worth it to get this rather than going to a shop owner I trust? Or would the latter negatively impact the warranty? (I know that it doesn't automatically invalidate the warranty -- trust me, I own an Evo and have had to deal with all sorts of stupid dealership stuff -- but it probably streamlines the process.)

This one is the Premium model (which I assume is the base one), but again, I'm coming from an Evo IX, so the features are light years ahead. Not sure if it being a Premium changes things.
      Yes Audicare is important to save money. It's the dsg and haldex service that can cost $1200 (here in bay area) which is ridiculous. They usually give AC for free, so negotiate it into the price you are getting.

7. n00b
      Cars
      03-31-2020 04:46 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mroberte View Post
      Yes Audicare is important to save money. It's the dsg and haldex service that can cost $1200 (here in bay area) which is ridiculous. They usually give AC for free, so negotiate it into the price you are getting.
      But looking at the maintenance schedule for the 2019 A3, the S-Tronic (transmission) service doesn't occur until 80,000 miles, which is after the two Audicare options, from what I was able to find. So it looks like that's something I'd have to eat regardless.

8. Member
      Cars
      2015 A3
      04-01-2020 02:30 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
      But looking at the maintenance schedule for the 2019 A3, the S-Tronic (transmission) service doesn't occur until 80,000 miles, which is after the two Audicare options, from what I was able to find. So it looks like that's something I'd have to eat regardless.
      Haldex/transmission service is at 35k miles...well at least on my 2015. I would not want to not do the haldex at 80k as they have issues from clogging.

9. n00b
      Cars
      04-01-2020 05:08 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mroberte View Post
      Haldex/transmission service is at 35k miles...well at least on my 2015. I would not want to not do the haldex at 80k as they have issues from clogging.
      That makes sense, though yours might be different with it being the AWD Quattro, the one I'm looking at is just FWD, and Audi has that FWD S-Tronic service at 80k. (I tried posting the link, but apparently I need to have a certain number of posts to do that, but it can be pulled up online.) But I'd assume that it at least costs less than it would for the AWD one and be around half as frequent.

That aside, for this generation of A3, are there any things that are prone to go wrong that might be good to know about?

10. Junior Member
      Cars
      2019 GLI S
      04-02-2020 06:29 PM #8
      I leased a 2016 A3 1.8T and loved it, never had a major issue. I did have a broken mount somewhere and drove on it for a while because it only made a noise when driving over a speed bump. I traded it in and got a Mini Cooper S, and within a few months wanted my Audi back. Then I bought a 2015 A3 with 50k miles and it had a broken wheel bearing, ended up not wanting an out of warranty car so I traded that one also.

11. Junior Member
      Cars
      2015 Florett S3
      04-11-2020 01:18 PM #9
      Welcome, I bought my S3 new in 2015 and it's been bulletproof so far with 67k miles. I know my DSG service is listed at 40k and even if they've stretched that out to an 80k service I'd be inclined to get it done sooner than that. It's a pretty sophisticated/$$$ component. I don't have any experience with the prepaid maintenance plans but I think CPO is a great way to go. Keep in mind that with the current economic free-fall what might have been a great deal a month ago might be easily beatable now. Even if advertised prices haven't changed much there are certainly some dealers out there on the brink of bankruptcy that would be willing to bargain. I'd also recommend you consider the AWD model and finding one with the sport suspension, I think those items elevate the drive quite a bit. Good luck!

12. n00b
      Cars
      04-11-2020 02:26 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 05LGT View Post
      Welcome, I bought my S3 new in 2015 and it's been bulletproof so far with 67k miles. I know my DSG service is listed at 40k and even if they've stretched that out to an 80k service I'd be inclined to get it done sooner than that. It's a pretty sophisticated/$$$ component. I don't have any experience with the prepaid maintenance plans but I think CPO is a great way to go. Keep in mind that with the current economic free-fall what might have been a great deal a month ago might be easily beatable now. Even if advertised prices haven't changed much there are certainly some dealers out there on the brink of bankruptcy that would be willing to bargain. I'd also recommend you consider the AWD model and finding one with the sport suspension, I think those items elevate the drive quite a bit. Good luck!
      Thanks for the input, glad that you are happy with yours. Again, I understand that the transmission service is pricey, though the recommended servicing is every 80k miles, so seeing how the prepaid maintenance plans don't appear to go that high, I don't see them performing that service. (Not to say that I think that it's a bad deal, it just may not be as much of one as a result, assuming that the pricing is fixed across the board.)

I don't really need AWD -- I have an Evo which I'll be keeping as a weekend car. I think the Golf R/S3/RS3 are all great, but I don't really need to own two fast AWD cars, I'm just looking for something nice to commute in and take to business meetings without burning too much of a hole in my pocket. (If my car were totaled or something, I would probably consider one of those higher-end models.)

Cars
      17 Aprilia Tuono, 17 GTI
      04-18-2020 03:39 PM #11
      I just looked at a 2017 CPO A3 today, it was pretty awesome. Felt much quicker than I expected. I also demoed a 17 GLI with 30k miles, and it felt much more sluggish for some reason.

Anyway, the dealer wouldn't budge on the price of $20k. At all. Doesn't come with Audicare. Currently waiting a few days to see if we can negotiate.

14. n00b
      Cars
      04-18-2020 10:25 PM #12
      How many miles were on that 2017 A3?

Cars
      17 Aprilia Tuono, 17 GTI
      04-19-2020 12:24 PM #13
      34k. And I live in Atlanta GA now, I forgot to change my location.

16. n00b
      Cars
      04-19-2020 08:17 PM #14
      Dang, it looks like somebody bought that Audi I was looking at.