VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

digi 2 1.8 head 2.0 aba block o2 sensor issue

995 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MacD96 
#1 ·
hey guys,i finally had to break down and make a profile to ask a question after years of just reading others posts. so i seized the motor in my 90 golf 1.8 and got a aba out of a 94 mk3 jetta and did the 1.8 head aba 2.0 bottom end swap once i got it started once i tried to fix some of the oddball plain black wires figured out and me being the electrical retard that i am i tried jumping them to the battery to figure out what they were for and ended up frying my ecu.. i know, i know.. ive already gotten plenty of flak over that one so spare me.. lol anyway i replaces the hall sensor and ICM and didn't give me spark so i found a used ecu on ebay that matched my part number on mine being 037 906 022AR the only difference was mine had the word KEN and the other had TAN and some different German words cant remember exactly what it said. got that in it and it started but after about 30 seconds to a minute it started to bog out and died i could keep it running if i kept on the throttle but it just sounded like garbage and i thought i spotted some black smoke out of the tail pipe so it seemed like it was over fueling. after some reading in my Bentley one of the causes was a faulty ECU so i thought maybe the guy sold me a junk ECU so i was pretty mad at this point. i had a few things i wanted to try before i contacted the seller so i tried unplugging the o2 sensor and wouldn't you know it she just started to purr like a kitten. so I ordered a bosch o2 sensor picked it up at the parts store the next day put in and got it plugged in and she instantly started to bogg out and die again.. another tid bit, i know the CTS can cause similar issues but i had an issue with that before the rebuild and replaced it. so its new. i unplugged it to see anyway though and it checked out. and there is no catalytic converter but the o2 would be upstream from it anyway i believe so shouldn't matter. the o2 sensor is plugged in at the end of the down pipe of a 4 to 1 header. sorry about the life story of this but theres just so many variables with this i just wanted to try and get everything on here so it could all be added up together. so idk if i got a dud o2 or if its a result of maybe a not 100% matching ECU although i think it should be as the part number is the same, or if it just something completely different that im overlooking so im asking for an extra set of brains to help me out. Thank you guys for the help in advance, i really miss driving the little bugger! again thanks! -Mac.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would love to help but I'm old and reading your post makes my head hurt.

Break it up a bit and use grade school punctuation. This would help me and others to give you some good help.

I understand that my post may make you a bit pizzed off but it's better than I originally thought, which was to post nothing.

#3 ·
I realize its not the best written thing in the world, I apologize for that. It was late when I wrote it and also the first time I wrote it, it said something about an error and I didn't save it so I had to re-write it. The information is in it and that's what I thought was important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.