Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
      Cars
      13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      03-25-2020 04:27 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      I went with a wildcard tire with superb reviews for my E36 M3: the Firestone Indy 500. Unfortunately, they're sitting in my garage next to my car until the world calms down so I don't have a review for you. Everything online suggests that they're 90% of a PS4 for 60% of the price. I'll be interested to see if that's true.
      I've had these on my Miata for about 2.5yrs, and honestly they are pretty great especially once you consider the price.
      I paid ~$480 shipped for 4 215/45/17, then got a $60 rebate.

Grip is really good, wet weather performance (important in the PNW) is really good as well.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      03-25-2020 04:28 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Starting to think about new tires for the S2000 to replace my old Direzza ZIIs. Seems like there are three options, Direzza ZIIIs, Potenza RE-71Rs, and Potenza S007As. Price spread is about $120, with S007As about $500, Direzzas about $590, and RE-71Rs about $620, all in tire rack. Money isn’t a huge concern here, but $20 is $20, so to speak.

Anyone have a reason to absolutely love or hate any of these options?
      My AP2 S2000 now wears Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole position Max Perf Summer tires and it might be the best tire I've had on the car yet.
      They are $650/4 (Plus Shipping) on TR now.

Last set was the RE-71s - no complaints.

I have Michelin PS4S on 2 cars now including my A6 and they come in S2K AP2 sizes, unsure about AP1. $830 for 4.
      Awesome tires.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 03-25-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      03-25-2020 04:35 PM #53
      Yeah, don't get all-seasons. I had the Michelin A/S 3s on my Yaris and they were great on my Yaris. On my YARIS.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Cars
      13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      03-25-2020 04:39 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      They also have a very round profile. Compared to an RE-71 of the same size (225-45), the RE-71 has almost an 3/4" more rubber on the road.
      Tirerack suggests the tread width difference is much smaller than that, unless you are counting all 4 tires together.

225/45/17 indy vs re71r
      Tread Width 7.4" 7.6"

Also note the indy has more tread on the tire.
      Tread Depth 10/32" 8/32"

They really are in different classes though, and not truly directly comparable.

The indy is more a street perf tire, the re71r is more track oriented.
      UTQG 340 A A 200 A A

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      03-25-2020 05:08 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      Tirerack suggests the tread width difference is much smaller than that, unless you are counting all 4 tires together.
      This wasn't spec comparison. The observation was of 2 vehicles side by side. Both wearing 225/45-17's. The difference in tread on the road was significant.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 205k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 120k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

Cars
      2008 BMW 335i, 2010 Rav4 V6 Ltd.
      03-25-2020 08:40 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      whatever you do, I will recommend taking the car to Tire Rack in South Bend for installation. I was well pleased with their work and site.

I've had mixed results with that. Sometimes the TireRack installers won't balance the tires correctly and there are vibrations. Sometimes they are spot on.

Yeah, I've been doing this for over 12 years now and I actually drive out from Chicago to South Bend to get this done. Three reasons - save on shipping, save on sales tax and lower cost of install.

..but again, it depends on which Tirerack person touches them...
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

8. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      03-25-2020 10:59 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      I've had mixed results with that. Sometimes the TireRack installers won't balance the tires correctly and there are vibrations. Sometimes they are spot on.

Yeah, I've been doing this for over 12 years now and I actually drive out from Chicago to South Bend to get this done. Three reasons - save on shipping, save on sales tax and lower cost of install.

..but again, it depends on which Tirerack person touches them...
      I actually did this once on my way from NY to Chicago. If nothing else it was cool to see the autocross track that I've read so many reviews of tires on, and the little performance shop as well.

The install I had was great--and they do use Hunter Road Force machines which are awesome--but I'm not surprised it's a YMMV situation; seems like lots of shops are this way.

9. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      03-25-2020 11:04 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Last time I checked, he just sits in it in his driveway making car nosies while shifting through the gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      So the same as me with my project.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Cars
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      03-26-2020 02:01 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I almost never drive in the rain, and the idea of worrying about tire noise or ride stiffness in the S2000 is fairly laughable, it’s going to be loud and ride rough no matter the tire.
      Speaking of noise, when my S2000 dude put the RE-71s on the car, we rode around in the parking lot at 5 mph and listened to them throw every small pebble they ran over into the wheel wells. Cling cling clang cling clang. That's how gummy they are, it's hilarious.

If the Direzzas are even 90% of the RE-71Rs, you'll be be happy. You'll never get to the limits of the tire on the street. None of the really sticky tires wear very well anyway, it's just part of the compromise.

11. 03-26-2020 02:25 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      I can't say definitively whether the Conti ExtremeContact Sports are all they're cracked up to be, but I did put my money on them for the SS.

Not sure when I'll be able to get them mounted up at this point though.

Thoughts on the Indy 500's - I had a set on my GLI. They were better than the OEM Dunlops, but that's not saying much. I wasn't terribly impressed with their grip or wet traction. Not horrible, but I didn't think they were worth all the praise they get in some circles. I suppose they're a decent value, but if cost isn't a driving factor, I'd pass. They do look kind of cool I suppose.

I bought a set of these for my 2002 Saleen S281SC and have been happy with them so for except for one complaint..... They pick up every single small rock on the road and throw them into the fendewell.
      But I did buy another set for my 84 Rabbit GTI in 205/50/15.

12. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      03-26-2020 02:43 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      A lot of tires in this thread aren't made in the sizes OP needs, again assuming he has factory 16's.

The extreme performance stuff is really overkill for street driving and not very good in the wet. Also louder and shorter treadlife. Performance all seasons are not my bag, would not buy personally, also do not fit the mold of a weekend summer car at all. The Conti ECS is the best all around option for an aggressively driven street car with some possible track use, by a wide margin... They're also not very expensive.
      I'd listen to this guy. He use to work in the tire business

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      03-26-2020 03:18 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      I'd listen to this guy. He use to work in the tire business
      I said my piece. Sounds like he wants something from the extreme category for some reason, whatever floats the old boat.

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      03-26-2020 03:24 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbit83 View Post
      I bought a set of these for my 2002 Saleen S281SC and have been happy with them so for except for one complaint..... They pick up every single small rock on the road and throw them into the fendewell.
      But I did buy another set for my 84 Rabbit GTI in 205/50/15.
      I have the same on my e30, real happy with them. Just did the coastal range rally on them.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123