Fourtitude.com - M/T 3-Row Midsize SUV Comparison Test
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      03-23-2020 03:48 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Shocked the Pilot scored that high, it is oooold.

My choice would be the Highlander, I don’t think there is anything wrong with it’s 3.5L and I don’t care about 3rd row comfort for kids on short hauls. Give me (my wife) the Platinum version and I think we’d be good.
      SUrprise surprise, same here.

I am actually really excited about the XSE version. It takes my concerns I have about my current' vehicle's handling and apparently fixes them.

If I can't swing a deal on an XC90 then that's my next choice.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2020 Civic Type R, 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
      03-23-2020 03:58 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Ford needs to fix the Explorer asap. It's too critical of a vehicle to be getting hammered so badly by virtually every article and video made about it.
      I don't think they care. They know their older, loyal buyers aren't going to read these comparisons and will simply buy the Ford. I see tons of the new model on the roads around here.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX, 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11), 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11), 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance), 2010 VW GTI, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2006 NC Miata

4. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-23-2020 04:15 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Shocked the Pilot scored that high, it is oooold.
      I saw you knocking Lexus for this in the other thread. What difference does the age of a car make if it's good? I'd rather have a good "old" car with all of its kinks and issues sorted than something like the new Exploder. With companies all moving to these grand modular platforms and engines that they will probably never update, from here forward "new" will largely equate to window dressing anyway.

New platforms only matter when there is obvious opportunity for improvement. For example there is no reason the ILX/TLX should be on the previous and seriously inferior platforms vs the 10th gen Civic/Accord. But if the Pilot is competitive in its sector with an "old" platform/powertrain that just speaks to how ahead of the time its bones were.

Cars
      a Metro pass.
      03-23-2020 04:17 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      I don't think they care. They know their older, loyal buyers aren't going to read these comparisons and will simply buy the Ford. I see tons of the new model on the roads around here.
      Ugh, I think there is a lot to this. There's no doubt the Explorer is a favorite of the Boomer/America **** Yeah! buyer segment and indeed, they don't give much of a fart about magazine comparos. They are the top choice for grandparents who wanted to switch to something cooler than a minivan to haul the grandkids. And yes, they're also more about flying the flag of the American brands they've been faithful to their whole lives.

But if Ford actually does care, then they've really got their work cut out for them with the mid-cycle refresh. Hopefully a much-improved interior and fine-tuning of certain dynamics aren't too much to ask. I'm really hoping for it because I actually love the styling, I think they look great on the road and I'd love to see it become a truly excellent SUV, I think the potential is certainly there.
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

6. Member
      Cars
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      03-23-2020 04:35 PM #30
      Dirty secret in the auto industry is that what Ford did with the Explorer isn't uncommon: when you don't have the resources (or the will), you just pump out something "acceptable" that you know the faithful will purchase.

The Explorer is a prime example of this model. Sometimes it's done to goose profit margins, sometimes because companies get lazy, but it almost always, ultimately, bites you in the arse. Take your customers for granted, and eventually, they do catch on.
      Last edited by Travis Grundke; 03-23-2020 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Mistype

03-23-2020 04:41 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Pretty sure every company has it's flaws in culture, ethics, etc. according to it's employees.
      I chalk this one up to just cultural differences. There's plenty to complain about with U.S. business culture too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

8. Member
      Cars
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      03-23-2020 04:51 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      That same rationale goes for Toyota too, and even Chevy too...in the flyover states, they buy whatever their local hometown owned dealership sells. For the Big 3, it helps them move just as much metal even if the imports are more popular retail sellers in the cities and coasts.
      Last edited by got-rice; 03-23-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      03-23-2020 06:05 PM #33
      Lol damn VW, you got rocked. Back to the drawing board with you.
      ಠ_ಠ

10. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-23-2020 06:19 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Lol damn VW, you got rocked. Back to the drawing board with you.
      I've had a couple Atlases as rentals and overall the car feels very no frills. Yes it has what the American people want (SUV, 3rd row, space, big air vents, lots of cup holders, 17mpg highway, etc.) but it feels uninspired and the seats are surprisingly hard and uncomfortable. On the M/T list I'd probably go for the Mazda or Subaru. In real life I'd get a used XC90 or a used previous generation Explorer if on a budget.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

11. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-23-2020 06:26 PM #35
      I'll take the Atlas

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      03-23-2020 06:33 PM #36
      I am shocked the Ascent is ranked 2th. There are probably a lot of Subie-fans at C&D. I was rather deceived by it, specially with that appalling engine. Honestly it is like if the Mazda and Subaru have been swapped by mistake. I am ok with the Honda and the Telluride where they are.

13. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      03-23-2020 07:17 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      I am shocked the Ascent is ranked 2th. There are probably a lot of Subie-fans at C&D. I was rather deceived by it, specially with that appalling engine. Honestly it is like if the Mazda and Subaru have been swapped by mistake. I am ok with the Honda and the Telluride where they are.
      Are you really surprised by the CX-9's ranking against other people haulers?That 3rd row is cramped and ingress/egress is difficult to say the least. Add that to sub-par ICE (Mazda is apparently very committed to not having a touch screen while driving, but holy hell is the controller terrible for CarPlay/AA) and a smaller cargo area, and it only gets the ranking it does due to how good it is to drive. (I say this even though the CX-9 is the one I'd buy as long as I didn't have to put actual people in the 3rd row.)

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      03-23-2020 07:22 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Are you really surprised by the CX-9's ranking against other people haulers?That 3rd row is cramped and ingress/egress is difficult to say the least. Add that to sub-par ICE (Mazda is apparently very committed to not having a touch screen while driving, but holy hell is the controller terrible for CarPlay/AA) and a smaller cargo area, and it only gets the ranking it does due to how good it is to drive. (I say this even though the CX-9 is the one I'd buy as long as I didn't have to put actual people in the 3rd row.)
      I don’t think anyone is surprised it isn’t as good, they’re surprised the car mags actually judged these things for what they are as opposed to how good of a Miata they can be and therefore giving the Mazda an edge.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

03-23-2020 07:28 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Sooo true, my sister-in-law has one in that sweet deep fiery red color, its a very nice SUV she loves it to haul around the kids, as long as they are not wanting to sit in the third row. Super cramped in fact I had no idea it even had a third row, why did they even bother.

16. Member
      Cars
      03-23-2020 07:54 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      I'll take the Atlas
      We know

17. Member
      Cars
      03-23-2020 08:02 PM #41
      I think it's about time Mazda got knocked back to Google Earth. The Miata is phenomenal. The CX-5 with the 2.5T is good. Everything else is expensive, slow and cramped. And in my experience the driving dynamics are competent but not ohhhhh myyyy godddddddddd jizz pouring out of my pant legs good like the auto rags say. The last gen 3's dynamics are nowhere near good enough to make up for the 2.0L for example. The cars aren't bad but they are crazy overhyped.

18. Member
      Cars
      03-23-2020 08:27 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      We know
      Will it be warrantied or not?

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      03-23-2020 09:05 PM #43
      Why do you call the engine “appalling”? It’s nothing to get excited about, but it does the job for a family hauler. Mid range torque of the turbo makes it feel peppier than the Highlander.

Problem with the Telluride isn’t the car so much as the dealerships. Most around here are catering to to the “what can I get for $199 a month?” crowd.

Cars
      17 GTI Sport
      03-23-2020 09:53 PM #44
      Damn shame about the Explorer, I actually really liked the previous gen. Maybe they'll get their **** together in the next refresh.

If I were making the list myself, the Mazda and VW would rank a lot higher, and the Chevy and Toyota a bit lower, but overall I can't really fault their top three. Kia really nailed it with the Telluride - too bad most buyers will rule it out on brand alone.
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

21. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-23-2020 10:08 PM #45
      Give me the Highlander hybrid

...and they didn't take it in the 405, where most people will be on, instead of of Palos Verdes roads

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by BsickPassat; 03-23-2020 at 10:11 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

22. 03-24-2020 01:00 AM #46
      If these are "midsize" what is "fullsize"?

Scary...

23. Member
      Cars
      03-24-2020 01:09 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by chocofrappe55 View Post
      If these are "midsize" what is "fullsize"?

Scary...

24. 03-24-2020 02:02 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      I'll take the Atlas
      Hell, who in their right mind wouldn't? It hits the trifecta: slow, poorly-engineered, and unreliable. Being a total snooze-fest is an added bonus.

25. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-24-2020 07:32 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      We know
      That post was for you, bud.

The Atlas has done pretty decent in all of the comparisons I've seen over the last couple years, but w/e

Cars
      2018 Atlas SEL R-Line
      03-24-2020 07:40 AM #50
      I'll agree on the plastics commentary concerning the Atlas, otherwise I couldn't agree less.

Car sickness? We drove our Atlas all over the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, Ontario and now the Benelux. My kids have never been sick or complained about anything like it. I've also never had an issue with the HP numbers or a "jerky" transmission.

Comparisons like this really beg for long term testing...

Oh well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast