Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      2018 F150
      03-24-2020 07:49 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Ford needs to fix the Explorer asap. It's too critical of a vehicle to be getting hammered so badly by virtually every article and video made about it.
      The change to a rear drive platform must have necessitated some odd cost cutting (in hindsight looks quite penny smart, dollar dumb).
      Hopefully that will equate to a more durable longer lasting SUV.
      Are they shipping police units yet?
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      03-24-2020 10:07 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      I am shocked the Ascent is ranked 2th. There are probably a lot of Subie-fans at C&D. I was rather deceived by it, specially with that appalling engine. Honestly it is like if the Mazda and Subaru have been swapped by mistake. I am ok with the Honda and the Telluride where they are.
      What's wrong with the engine?

Also, it seems most car review websites say the Ascent handles and drives really well for a 3 row SUV, not just MT.

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      03-24-2020 10:31 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by chocofrappe55 View Post
      If these are "midsize" what is "fullsize"?

Scary...
      The actual fullsize SUVs that you see hundreds of everyday: Tahoe, Expedition, Sequoia, Suburban, Armada. The ones that can carry people and stuff at the same time. Think of this category as CamCord class station wagons.

Cars
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      03-24-2020 10:50 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Yup, already seen them in my area. Ugly AF.

6. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-24-2020 10:58 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      That post was for you, bud.

The Atlas has done pretty decent in all of the comparisons I've seen over the last couple years, but w/e
      Yep lets just count the ones where it does well. Something was clearly wrong with this comparo

7. Member
      Cars
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      03-24-2020 01:09 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      The change to a rear drive platform must have necessitated some odd cost cutting (in hindsight looks quite penny smart, dollar dumb).
      Hopefully that will equate to a more durable longer lasting SUV.
      I've seen 1-2 2020 Explorer PIs...they were unmarked, in plain white.

8. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-24-2020 02:25 PM #57
      I am shocked the Ascent is ranked 2th. There are probably a lot of Subie-fans at C&D. I was rather deceived by it, specially with that appalling engine. Honestly it is like if the Mazda and Subaru have been swapped by mistake. I am ok with the Honda and the Telluride where they are.
      The 2.4 turbo isn't bad. It's the unreliable CVT that is the weak point of the ascent

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

9. 03-24-2020 03:06 PM #58
      The telluride really is nice.. just one problem (and why we picked the Ascent), the AWD in the telluride is not really awd, its heavily FWD and it has tinyyyyy little straw sized rear axles that look like I could break them with one hand.

03-24-2020 04:12 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Ilikewaffles View Post
      The telluride really is nice.. just one problem (and why we picked the Ascent), the AWD in the telluride is not really awd, its heavily FWD and it has tinyyyyy little straw sized rear axles that look like I could break them with one hand.
      That's not uncommon nor is it really an issue for most. AWD "assist" is pretty much all a typical consumer requires. This is why it's fairly easy to get the last-gen Explorer to temporarily disable AWD due to the system overheating.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      03-24-2020 04:42 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      That's not uncommon nor is it really an issue for most. AWD "assist" is pretty much all a typical consumer requires. This is why it's fairly easy to get the last-gen Explorer to temporarily disable AWD due to the system overheating.
      I got our 2G RDX to overheat the AWD system trying to get 2 wheels off the shoulder in a snowbank. Granted, the tires were a little worn, but woof. The crappy AWD is one of the main things I dislike about that thing, fortunately they went back to the pretty darn good SH-AWD for the 3G.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-24-2020 04:54 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      The 2.4 turbo isn't bad. It's the unreliable CVT that is the weak point of the ascent

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      I don't know that I'd consider the Subaru CVT "unreliable" at this point. First, the Ascent has the high-torque CVT from the former 3.6 H6 motor. Second, Subaru has worked out a lot of the bugs on their CVTs. The failures seem most prominent on the early models. I have 80k on my 2017 Legacy and let's just say the CVT doesn't keep me at night. It shifts just the same as it did the day I bought it.

Conversely, my husband has a 2011 Toyota Corolla that has what should be a well-sorted 5-speed auto. At 110k, it's starting to occasionally flare on shifts.

At the end of the day, I have to believe that the majority of the folks complaining about Subaru CVTs wouldn't have bought one regardless of what transmission it has anyways...
      =

13. Member
      Cars
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      03-24-2020 05:23 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      Conversely, my husband has a 2011 Toyota Corolla that has what should be a well-sorted 5-speed auto. At 110k, it's starting to occasionally flare on shifts.
      The 2011 Corollas were still 4 speed autos. The only Corolla of that generation that had a 5AT was the XRS automatic (I have the manuel), but all XRSs were discontinued after 2010.
      Last edited by got-rice; 03-24-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-24-2020 05:39 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
      The 2011 Corollas were still 4 speed autos. The only Corolla of that generation that had a 5AT was the XRS automatic (I have the manuel), but all XRSs were discontinued after 2010.
      You're correct... I misread the EPA classification.

Regardless, point being that's a well-sorted transmission design, and yet it still has some reliability quirks.
      =

15. Goes in two directions RAVatar's Avatar
      Cars
      '14 Toy RAV4Runner '13 Ferrari 458 Italia Size: XS
      03-24-2020 06:30 PM #64
      Good. It's finally refreshing to see somebody calling out the Mazda for how ****ty a "big" SUV it really is, and not selling out false victories based on driving dynamics and styling.
      Off Topikstan CSB Thread, First Responder (c) 2013
      IG - the_cama_lens
      OG:SAV912
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for an aSS
      She got so pissed off she dumped her tits out at me.

16. Member
      Cars
      03-24-2020 06:40 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by RAVatar View Post
      Good. It's finally refreshing to see somebody calling out the Mazda for how ****ty a "big" SUV it really is, and not selling out false victories based on driving dynamics and styling.
      Oh but I'm sure Mazda got thousands of real victories on the back of the fairy tales the auto rags sold (and the internet kept repeating).

It's a big paradox. If you can only have 1 car in your household, and you want something fun to drive, but need to legitimately seat 7 regularly, you can't get a CX-9 anyway. If you need to seat seven, but have more than one car, you can get a legit 7 seater and a legit fun car (albeit for more money). Who exactly is this for?

I'm still a bit bummed there's no CX-7. 10" lopped off of a CX-9 with no pointless 3rd row = a nice compromise for a smaller family that needs more room.

17. 03-24-2020 06:59 PM #66
      It is actually a very good engine but since you probably never even seen the Ascent's engine bay, nevermind driven one, Ill take your word for it. You got your Google search expertise all wrong, it is the early built CVT issues.

Cars
      12 Ecoboosted Flex, 11 6-speed quad cab Frontier, recently sold02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      03-24-2020 07:30 PM #67
      I like both of the Koreans but I think I'd take another boosted Flex over most of the field.

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      03-24-2020 07:35 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      It is actually a very good engine but since you probably never even seen the Ascent's engine bay, nevermind driven one, Ill take your word for it. You got your Google search expertise all wrong, it is the early built CVT issues.
      Wrong.

Zero related to CVT.

4-cyl. toys are terrible engines for 4000lbs+ vehicles.

This is why Kia, Honda & Toyota keep pushing V6 in expensive SUV,

Cars
      14 JGC Hemi, 69 Camaro SS 396
      03-24-2020 08:18 PM #69
      Friend just got a Telluride SX. What a vehicle. If it was 3.3T, I'd be all over it so fast. Even in NA V6 form, its a game changing winner. Deserves the hype.
      Formerly Internal Combustion (4/2007)
      1969 Camaro SS 396- 396, M21 4 sp manuel, usual goodies
      14 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 17 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
      Old: 335xi, E320, Accord, WK, TJ, ZJ 5.9, Camaro, Prius

21. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-24-2020 08:28 PM #70
      Wrong.

Zero related to CVT.

Maybe you should swing by your local Audi dealership and check out the Q7. The 45 TFSI needs to push 4700 lbs with.... a 4-cylinder engine.

And Volvo has their 4-bangers has to push 4300+ lbs of XC90

And... the Highlander Hybrid ditched the V6, for a 4-banger for this generation, to get the 35 (AWD) or 36 (FWD) mpg's
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

22. Member
      Cars
      03-24-2020 08:32 PM #71
      Wrong.

Zero related to CVT.

People buy 2 ton 530is and E350s all the live long day. I hope to avoid turbo 4 bangers for as long as possible but I4s of today aren't the Quad4 in your uncle's Achieva SCX. Plus in a big family hauler I don't want an engine I have to rev out. The Ascent's engine is well sized for the job too.

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-24-2020 09:11 PM #72
      Wrong.

Zero related to CVT.

Disagree. I just had an Ascent as loaner while my Legacy was in for maintenance. It's more than sufficient for a family hauler.
      =

24. 03-25-2020 10:31 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      The actual fullsize SUVs that you see hundreds of everyday: Tahoe, Expedition, Sequoia, Suburban, Armada. The ones that can carry people and stuff at the same time. Think of this category as CamCord class station wagons.

Actually need to jump to the Suburban, ESV, etc. to carry people in the 3rd row and have any semblance of cargo room.

Something like the Traverse is way roomier than the standard Escalade (which has severe packaging issues, which has been improved in the new model).

Quote Originally Posted by tampaSi View Post

If I were making the list myself, the Mazda and VW would rank a lot higher, and the Chevy and Toyota a bit lower, but overall I can't really fault their top three. Kia really nailed it with the Telluride - too bad most buyers will rule it out on brand alone.
      C/D ranks the CX-9 and Atlas higher.

Don't think Kia is having any problems finding buyers (esp. for the top SX-P trim), at least not before the whole coronavirus hit.
      Last edited by CP1; 03-25-2020 at 10:36 PM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Cars
      2017 Volvo S60
      03-26-2020 03:21 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      Maybe you should swing by your local Audi dealership and check out the Q7. The 45 TFSI needs to push 4700 lbs with.... a 4-cylinder engine.

And Volvo has their 4-bangers has to push 4300+ lbs of XC90

And... the Highlander Hybrid ditched the V6, for a 4-banger for this generation, to get the 35 (AWD) or 36 (FWD) mpg's
      As someone with a XC90 T6 we were reluctant about upgrading from a first gen to a 2019. We were so excited about everything with the new model. I mean our old XC90 was a 2008 model year but that design debuted in 2002. Everything was a huge upgrade. However, we were weary about going from V8 to a 4 cylinder. Both cars make virtually the same power numbers. On the test drive we weren’t expecting much. But wow our new XC90 is so much quicker off the line compared to our old car which also had more torque. Even after testing the slower T5 it still felt peppier than the V8. And we went from getting 14 mpg to 22. Also call me crazy but I love the sound. I was expecting to hate it. However, the engine has a really nice note but it’s also super muted at the same time (which I love). After all it’s a luxury family hauler it doesn’t need to have a lot of engine noise. The old V8 had a really nice sound to but was so rumbly. The new car is so quiet and relaxing to drive as an SUV should be. To anyone looking at a new XC90 I say GO FOR IT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03-26-2020 09:15 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by swedesc View Post
      As someone with a XC90 T6 we were reluctant about upgrading from a first gen to a 2019. We were so excited about everything with the new model. I mean our old XC90 was a 2008 model year but that design debuted in 2002. Everything was a huge upgrade. However, we were weary about going from V8 to a 4 cylinder. Both cars make virtually the same power numbers. On the test drive we weren’t expecting much. But wow our new XC90 is so much quicker off the line compared to our old car which also had more torque. Even after testing the slower T5 it still felt peppier than the V8. And we went from getting 14 mpg to 22. Also call me crazy but I love the sound. I was expecting to hate it. However, the engine has a really nice note but it’s also super muted at the same time (which I love). After all it’s a luxury family hauler it doesn’t need to have a lot of engine noise. The old V8 had a really nice sound to but was so rumbly. The new car is so quiet and relaxing to drive as an SUV should be. To anyone looking at a new XC90 I say GO FOR IT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I am solidly in the XC90 camp too. Those were some of the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in.

The problem is finding a deal on one, and finding the actual model we want.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast