I posted about this project in the car projects thread and a couple people mentioned that I should start a proper thread for this, so here it is. For a while now I have always wanted an older project car to work on, a few months ago my middle son started wanting something for us to work on together, after several months of him sending me all sorts of junk (literally junk) on Craiglist, almost buying a 1966 Cadillac Coupe Deville, the stars aligned and a 1965 Mustang turned up. His grandparents picked it up for him as a surprise 13th birthday present and it was delivered about a week ago now.
I don't know a whole lot about the car, other than it has sat for the past 20 years and so is going to need a lot of work, but was running when parked. It was originally a 289 but at some point was swapped to a 302 and has a manual transmission. It came with a bunch of crap inside, but also a good amount of new parts including a pair of new headlights, a NIB steering wheel, some Mustang badges etc. It also had a new set of front seat covers, but it looks like over time the mice got to them. Neither my son or I have a whole lot of experience working on something like this, so it will be a challenge for sure, but the way I see it, even if we completely f**k up, the memories of working on it together will be worth it. Since getting it dropped off he has been out there most days (school closed due to COVID-19) cleaning as much as he can, both outside and inside. We have let off a pair of bug bombs in there in hopes to clear the thing of spiders, particularly black widow spiders of which we have so far seen 3. Mice were also living in it at some point, so that was fun cleaning all the crap out. I'll get some more pictures as we work on it, for now just have these:
Back seats after a cleaning.
The floor is going to need to be replaced, we pulled up the carpet and there is a giant hole behind the passengers seat, I believe some more smaller holes behind the drivers seat and a few others under the rear seat. Since it sat for so long it had sunk some into the ground, which I am sure has contributed to the sorry state of the floor pans. The plan at the moment is going to be to clean under the hood as much as possible, remove the interior so we can get a real idea of what is needed. A pair of new floor pans looks to be fairly inexpensive, so those will be on the list. Since it will be my sons vehicle, I am going to be adding as many safety features to it as I can including upgrading to power disc brakes and 3 point seat belts. Additionally, @Jettaboy1884 suggested a firewall behind the rear seat, so we will likely do that while we are in there. So far along with cleaning it, we have also managed to fix the passenger door latch (small victories!!).
No idea how often I will be able to update the thread, for sure it will be a slow going project. We are not aiming for a full on top level restoration, but to make it a cool car for him to drive and we've got about 3 years until he can legally do so. If anyone has any tips on working on older Mustangs, feel free to post them. Any information will I am sure come in incredibly helpful!!