Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design
      03-20-2020 04:39 PM #1
      I posted about this project in the car projects thread and a couple people mentioned that I should start a proper thread for this, so here it is. For a while now I have always wanted an older project car to work on, a few months ago my middle son started wanting something for us to work on together, after several months of him sending me all sorts of junk (literally junk) on Craiglist, almost buying a 1966 Cadillac Coupe Deville, the stars aligned and a 1965 Mustang turned up. His grandparents picked it up for him as a surprise 13th birthday present and it was delivered about a week ago now.

I don't know a whole lot about the car, other than it has sat for the past 20 years and so is going to need a lot of work, but was running when parked. It was originally a 289 but at some point was swapped to a 302 and has a manual transmission. It came with a bunch of crap inside, but also a good amount of new parts including a pair of new headlights, a NIB steering wheel, some Mustang badges etc. It also had a new set of front seat covers, but it looks like over time the mice got to them. Neither my son or I have a whole lot of experience working on something like this, so it will be a challenge for sure, but the way I see it, even if we completely f**k up, the memories of working on it together will be worth it. Since getting it dropped off he has been out there most days (school closed due to COVID-19) cleaning as much as he can, both outside and inside. We have let off a pair of bug bombs in there in hopes to clear the thing of spiders, particularly black widow spiders of which we have so far seen 3. Mice were also living in it at some point, so that was fun cleaning all the crap out. I'll get some more pictures as we work on it, for now just have these:

Back seats after a cleaning.

The floor is going to need to be replaced, we pulled up the carpet and there is a giant hole behind the passengers seat, I believe some more smaller holes behind the drivers seat and a few others under the rear seat. Since it sat for so long it had sunk some into the ground, which I am sure has contributed to the sorry state of the floor pans. The plan at the moment is going to be to clean under the hood as much as possible, remove the interior so we can get a real idea of what is needed. A pair of new floor pans looks to be fairly inexpensive, so those will be on the list. Since it will be my sons vehicle, I am going to be adding as many safety features to it as I can including upgrading to power disc brakes and 3 point seat belts. Additionally, @Jettaboy1884 suggested a firewall behind the rear seat, so we will likely do that while we are in there. So far along with cleaning it, we have also managed to fix the passenger door latch (small victories!!).

No idea how often I will be able to update the thread, for sure it will be a slow going project. We are not aiming for a full on top level restoration, but to make it a cool car for him to drive and we've got about 3 years until he can legally do so. If anyone has any tips on working on older Mustangs, feel free to post them. Any information will I am sure come in incredibly helpful!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      03-20-2020 05:36 PM #2
      Subscribed as promised!

Looks like an awesome project, I look forward to following along.

Here's a link regarding adding a firewall behind the seat: https://www.vintage-mustang.com/thre...grade.1155208/
      Last edited by Jettaboy1884; 03-20-2020 at 05:39 PM.

Cars
      91 318iS,13 GTI
      03-20-2020 06:15 PM #3
      Stoked to follow this one!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      1991 318is M50 Swapped
      2013 GTI

5. 03-20-2020 06:23 PM #4
      I can't begin to tell you how many friends had these from new or bought used years later, or how many dozens of them I've driven or ridden in over the decades. I can tell you they were and are fun, iconic vehicles that you two will enjoy it once it's back on the road.

Off the top of my head, I counted seven folks we know that have one of the original Mustangs in their stables, in various states of driveability. And I do know there probably isn't a single part of a Mustang that isn't available as NOS or a workable reproduction. Depending on your wallet, time window, and dedication to the project, you should be able to bring it back to life in a way that will make everyone who sees it envious. A big plus: They're absurdly easy to keep running with minimal mechanical knowledge and everyday garage tools.

Congratulations, and have fun. Take tons of photos!

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      03-20-2020 09:28 PM #5
      Good luck! I'm in for updates.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Cars
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      03-20-2020 10:03 PM #6
      So flippin' cool. Looking at those interior pics, I'm certain the cure for COVID-19 can be found in that car

A few summers ago, I did a light revival on my brother-in-law's dormant 1967 coupe (289 w/ auto) and it was laughably simple to get going again after sitting for 7-8 years. It's been in his family for 50+ years, his folks got it as a wedding present in 1969. After we got it going, we went for a cruise, and it just made me feel so cool to cruise around in. Haven't driven or ridden in any vehicle - classic or otherwise - that made me feel that way.

This is father-son project done right.

In for updates!

03-20-2020 11:38 PM #7
      Good luck, man. Those cars are fun and the memories will be great. I've built a few of those over the years so if you are looking for any advice or even get pointed in the right direction about stuff post here.

Oh and it ran when it was parked did it?

9. 03-23-2020 09:33 AM #8
      My dad's restored several Mustangs over the last 25 years. He even did two for other people.

I can offer the following advice:

Plan your whole project as best as you can before you buy ANYTHING. This will save you money down the road. You don't want to buy multiples or incompatible parts because you changed your mind later.

Biggest thing about planning is deciding whether to keep it mostly a stock restoration or go custom. The closer it is to stock, they typically hold more value.

Buy quality Ford authorized repair panels. The cheap ones fit poorly.

This order seems to work well, get it running, driving and braking first. If you are on a budget, this will help you find all the GOTCHAS before you blow your money on paint.

ALWAYS replace the wiring harness with a new one. It is cheap, easy to replace and solves a lot of time later trying to diagnose electrical problems. They have undoubtedly been messed with over the years, a lot of early ones were fabric covered, and no one wants to see their project go up in an electrical fire.

Inline tube or classic tube offers stainless prebent replacements for the brake and fuel lines. They are very reasonable, fit well, and save you a ton if time.

Most importantly, don't cheap out on anything. Especially things like brakes or suspension. Treat the car like an investment, if you build it with quality parts, it will be worth more in the end.

Vince

10. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      03-23-2020 09:43 AM #9
      Nice project! I'd love to do a '67 coupe some day.

Early Mustangs seem like one of the best starter restorations. They've been popular for so long there are many well documented restorations, and just about any part you need is being reproduced.

11. Member
      Cars
      2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design
      03-23-2020 09:45 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      Oh and it ran when it was parked did it?
      Maybe I should have put "allegedly ran when parked" especially as I can't wrap my head around why someone parks a running car and lets it sit and rot for the next 20 years.

We spent a bit more time at the weekend pulling the interior out, solid structure behind the rear seats:

Yep, firewall going back there. We tried to remove the front seats, but managed to only get the drivers seat removed. The passengers seat I can get to the nuts underneath the car, but when I turn those the bolt also turns inside the car, would be a simple solution but the way the seat is mounted and how narrow the seat rail is where the bolt goes through, I can't get a socket on to the top because the seat blocks the bolt and I can't get an open ended wrench in from the ends either because the rail is too narrow for the wrench to fit. Not sure yet how I am going to get the seat out since I can't even get at the bolt to cut it. Anyway, here are a couple more pictures:

Thanks for all the encouraging words, hopefully I remember to keep this updated as we progress.

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      03-24-2020 09:05 AM #11
      Definitely in for updates on this!

My uncle is a big Mopar guy, but has had at least one '65/'66 mustang since he was a teenager, so I've always been around them.

Cars
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      03-24-2020 09:14 AM #12
      https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mustang/

Nice thing about Mustangs is that all parts are readily available and relatively cheap. I've used Mac's before to good effect in restoring Mustangs and Falcons. And like was said, there's YouTube videos of pretty much every bit you want to do.

Great project, and have fun!
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-24-2020 09:42 AM #13
      That's going to be a ton of fun!

I too say that if you can swing it, use quality parts, especially sheet metal, brakes, tires, suspension and fuel system. Also I would get the best seat belts available. I'm sure there's a way to retrofit 3-point seat belts and after running period-correct ones on my Bug I'd probably recommend retractable ones. The non-retractable ones need constant tightening as you drive (which most people wouldn't do) and don't allow free movement, which discourages their use.

My order of importance is similar to WINDSORB4TDI's.

My dad's restored several Mustangs over the last 25 years. He even did two for other people.

I can offer the following advice:

Plan your whole project as best as you can before you buy ANYTHING. This will save you money down the road. You don't want to buy multiples or incompatible parts because you changed your mind later.

Biggest thing about planning is deciding whether to keep it mostly a stock restoration or go custom. The closer it is to stock, they typically hold more value.

Buy quality Ford authorized repair panels. The cheap ones fit poorly.

This order seems to work well, get it running, driving and braking first. If you are on a budget, this will help you find all the GOTCHAS before you blow your money on paint.

ALWAYS replace the wiring harness with a new one. It is cheap, easy to replace and solves a lot of time later trying to diagnose electrical problems. They have undoubtedly been messed with over the years, a lot of early ones were fabric covered, and no one wants to see their project go up in an electrical fire.

Inline tube or classic tube offers stainless prebent replacements for the brake and fuel lines. They are very reasonable, fit well, and save you a ton if time.

Most importantly, don't cheap out on anything. Especially things like brakes or suspension. Treat the car like an investment, if you build it with quality parts, it will be worth more in the end.

Vince

I would say that after getting the interior and trunk cleaned out and the car itself cleaned I would do a thorough assessment of the structure/bodywork and make the solid plan/arrive at a budget like he mentioned. Once that's done I would fix the floors and any structural bits, including quarter panels/trunk area (bolt-ons like fenders, hood and doors could wait) and as he said, then get it running, preferably with a new harness.

If the engine is not frozen (only move it slightly to determine if it's frozen, you don't want to pump old acidic oil into the engine) then dump the oil, inspect it for particles, refill and add filter. Do not yet start it! Get some Marvel's Mystery Oil and add a bit to each cylinder through the spark plug hole. Let it sit for a few days. Change the gearbox and diff the same way, dump it and fill it before running it. Remove the fill plugs BEFORE you remove the drain plugs, using a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF if the plugs are stuck. The fill plugs tend to stick more since they're not submerged in oil.

Install a fuel pump, change every bit of hose, blow out the metal lines and inspect for rust, drop the tank, take the tank to a radiator shop to be cleaned and if it's solid, reinstall everything with new screens and whatnot. Rebuilding the carburetor before firing it is an option, but the rest of the fuel system is not. Yes, the carb probably needs it, but if you get it running with the gunk still in the rest of the system it will load up with rust and debris.

Shortly after that it should be running and if you reinstall the seats you could drive it as soon as you do the brakes, suspension and tires. After that it's a "rolling restoration" that you can enjoy by both working on it and using it on occasion. I mean you did install seat belts by this point already, right?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      03-24-2020 09:48 AM #14
      I think I seen this one while searching craigslist.

My dad and I did a Mustang when I was in highschool over 20 years ago. Great project idea, just be prepared for rust. Floor boards, lower doors, upper valance, etc...

16. 03-24-2020 01:48 PM #15
      What a great project car!

Cars
      2015 GTI SE,2008 3.2 TT(sold) ,1992 16V GTI(sold),2010 A3 TDI(sold)
      03-24-2020 06:24 PM #16
      My husband and wife project from a couple of years ago. Belonged to my wifes uncle. We bought it from her aunt a year or so after he passed away.It was in boxes when we got it. Its my wifes pride and joy.64.5 260 V8 automatic. They are a great project car.

18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-24-2020 08:30 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by blimey View Post
      My husband and wife project from a couple of years ago. Belonged to my wifes uncle. We bought it from her aunt a year or so after he passed away.It was in boxes when we got it. Its my wifes pride and joy.64.5 260 V8 automatic. They are a great project car.
      Nice! Does it still have a generator or has it been converted to an alternator?

Cars
      2002 Impreza OBS, 2000 F350, 1996 4Runner, 1963 Riviera
      03-24-2020 11:19 PM #18
      In!!!

An early Mustang is my wife's dream car, I'd love to be able to restore one someday for her

Until then, I shall live vicariously though others
      @saugster_pnw

Cars
      03-25-2020 05:41 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Nice! Does it still have a generator or has it been converted to an alternator?
      Still a generator car.

Cars
      03-25-2020 05:43 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
      In!!!

An early Mustang is my wife's dream car, I'd love to be able to restore one someday for her

Until then, I shall live vicariously though others
      My wife always wanted one.She was very close to her Uncle and this was her Uncles dream car. That makes this one all that more special.

22. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      03-25-2020 09:32 AM #21
      In for updates!

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      Maybe I should have put "allegedly ran when parked" especially as I can't wrap my head around why someone parks a running car and lets it sit and rot for the next 20 years.
      My Corvette ran when I parked it five years ago.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

23. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-25-2020 09:40 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by blimey View Post
      Still a generator car.
      Yes!

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      03-25-2020 10:02 AM #23
      Awesome!

I know V8s are the raison d'etre for these things, but I've always wanted to do a build with the ol' I6.

25. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-25-2020 10:16 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Awesome!

I know V8s are the raison d'etre for these things, but I've always wanted to do a build with the ol' I6.
      You can do a good amount of stuff to them, as I had looked into it as well. A split header, good valve job (maybe bigger valves and blended ports, but I didn't look into the benefits), a moderate cam and the Offenhauser triple carb setup* should certainly wake one up! Having 6 cylinders and 7 main bearings makes it able to handle a LOT more than it came with stock, too.

*It sits atop the modified cast-in manifold.

Cars
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      03-25-2020 10:26 AM #25
      In!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast